Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

-Shield Counters
-Jumping attacks
-Jumping while firing arrows
-Jumping in general
-Enemies have a hidden posture meter that can only be broken with certain moves (e.g. jump attacks, shield counters, multiple parries. From network test players it sounds like dodging and R1 attacks alone will almost never break the posture meter).
-All spells can be charged (which takes more time, but has no additional FP cost).
-Spells can be chain cast so spells should be faster now.
-Power.Stancing.Is.Back!
-Can swap weapon arts between weapons (and the ones available seem more useful this time around. They might also be in the “good for posture breaking” category that jump attacks and counters are in).
-I think DS1 style poise is back. (I.e. good poise that makes heavy armor worth wearing rather than DS3s poise that helps with hyper armor but that’s only available on certain weapons with certain moves and only at specific points in the move).
-Strength also increases equip load so you can more easily use the heavy strength weapons and armor
-Collectible summons. I’ve read somewhere that you can level these up but I’m not sure if that’s confirmed.
-I think all healing is now AoE (for friendlies only. Don’t worry about healing enemies). So you can heal your summons. TBF I think this was how most healing worked in DS3, but there were far fewer NPC summons. In DS2 almost every area and boss had 1 (many even had 2) NPC summons but it took a long time to get the AoE healing. And I think DS2 summons were designed to just tank hits. So you would heal for 600 and their health bar would barely move because they would have something like 4000 health but then be terrible at dodging.
-Make your own consumables. There seem to be reusable pots (reminds me of the jars from Zelda OoT) that you can mix various materials in to make your own consumables. Like one that makes you explode but also heals you so you can blow up the enemies around you without getting hurt.
-Mounted Combat
-A lot of weapons seem to have improved blocking damage reduction compared to their equivalents in DS3. Obviously it’s not 100% physical reduction like a big shield, but it seems to hint that even if you are two handing, their is still an emphasis on blocking and blocking (likely for guard countering) is an expected part of combat, not just blocking to reduce damage. I.e. shields and blocking are more active and less engendering of passivity.

Edit: I will say Gael and to a lesser extent Black Flame Friede really, really were running up against the limits of DS3. They almost move too fast and are more like Bloodborne enemies than DS3 enemies. When Gael gets into some combo you basically just have to dodge and wait for him to finish.

Great loving post. It's all so unbelievably god drat exciting. I really look forward to struggling to keep track of all of the options available to me in every second of every encounter in this game.
If I had one thing to add to this, it's the way the open world fundamentally changes certain boss fights and pvp encounters. One of my favorite moments from watching CNT PVP videos to tide myself over was a moment where an invader stood on a cliff overlooking players fighting Agheel and then instant transmissioned down (another extremely cool new mechanic) to explore the very many ways he could screw over the players in an already brutally hard fight. It just rules, it's a whole new dimension, they totally nailed the interweave of sandbox and Dark Souls multiplayer.

Was there really not a single spell you could charge or chain-input in any of the previous Souls games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just want a ridiculous giant two handed sword, extra bonus points it's also green and magical

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Overbite posted:

Let me dual wield bows

They do already have the animation for it (magic user trying to cast without enough MP)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

net cafe scandal posted:

Was there really not a single spell you could charge or chain-input in any of the previous Souls games?

Flashsword in DS3 could combo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Farron Darts could be chain cast

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Gonna be a lunatic prison mage who uses nothing BUT magic.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

new talking mechanism besides the stones... awesome

edit - oh on second watch hes using a stone just not breaking it

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

What's with the blind-in-one-eye theme?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

huh posted:

What's with the blind-in-one-eye theme?

Berserk

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Pulcinella posted:

-Enemies have a hidden posture meter that can only be broken with certain moves (e.g. jump attacks, shield counters, multiple parries. From network test players it sounds like dodging and R1 attacks alone will almost never break the posture meter).
-Power.Stancing.Is.Back!

These things don't work together that well, though- powerstance means losing the ability to block and doesn't have strong attacks, and since light attacks no longer do much or any posture damage/dual wielding is all about a lot of light attacks in quick succession, you can either stagger bosses or actually use your powerstanced weapons, not both.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 8, 2022

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Overbite posted:

Let me dual wield bows

power stance cross bows

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
im gonna powerstance pants

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

powerstance skeleton wheels and become that guy from twisted metal

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
My first build will be a 2 handed big sword strength build. It doesn't get much simpler than that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Overbite posted:

Let me dual wield bows

Let me do trick shots and triple shot of various arrow types without the need of a special bow.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

I wonder at what stage they are no longer references/homages and straight up copying. Not that I particularly care.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Berserk is the only media where anyone ever lost, damaged or obscured an eye.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

huh posted:

I wonder at what stage they are no longer references/homages and straight up copying. Not that I particularly care.

From has copied from Berserk before. The Bone Wheels for example. They are literally a 1 to 1 copy from the Bone Wheels in Berserk.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Miyazaki has good taste yall

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
An homage is an homage. IMO, its only an egregious thing when it occurs within the same genre. Miyazaki makes video games, Berserk is an anime.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Maybe he should stop copying Berzerk. And poison swamps.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
He should make a castle with a poison swamp inside it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

he can't help himself :allears:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

JBP posted:

Berserk is the only media where anyone ever lost, damaged or obscured an eye.

IDK if you're being sarcastic or not but all of Miyazaki's games so far have been absolutely loaded with very direct visual and conceptual references.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I think Miyazaki should go back to the Junji Ito well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bring back the rat king covenant and give them a giant poison swamp to set up traps in.

Then make it mandatory to the story.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

CottonWolf posted:

I think Miyazaki should go back to the Junji Ito well.

I agree. There's a lot of fleshy spiral stuff in the Tower of Latria, wonder if that's a reference to Uzumaki.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

drat... elder ring...

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Babe Magnet posted:

drat... elder ring...

ooohhhhhh

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Ha ha ha ha ha... ... ... ... the swamp is unconquerable ... ... ... as is Berserk

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
They should add "ha ha ha ha ha..." to the message system

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
an homage is an homage when the dude making it goes “yeah it’s based on this rad thing i love a lot”

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Important question, can I turn into a box in this game?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
miyazaki loves two things, feet and berzerk

and he's all out of feet

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

weird way of spelling "poison swamps" but ok

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I was legitimately so happy when I heard about there being multiple poison swamps.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Multiple?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ashrik posted:

Multiple?

Yeah plus a new type of poison swamp