Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

that said my sister in law is currently working from home and her actual job seems pretty nice. she has the occasional video call but mostly spends her day cooking and drinking tea while doing some spreadsheets. it only sucks when she has to actually come into the office and look busy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

Realistically the vast majority of jobs that (white) foreigners do and the kinds of companies we work for means we can generally avoid all of the poor work/life balance that a lot of Japanese people endure, if desired. Even the shittiest English teacher dispatch companies may treat their gaijins like dirt and pay them like 3 million yen a year, yet they're also not requiring them to stay in the office until 9PM every night. Sure there are some exceptions--starting your own business, law, some roles in finance, IT crunch--but those jobs often have poor work/life balance outside of Japan too. It's mostly the "black" SMOs in Japan that have the semi-mandatory ridiculous work hours you hear about, and those usually aren't the kinds of companies that would hire any Westerners at all. For big companies, the ones sponsoring visas and all that, there's way too much reputational risk. Imagine the fallout if an American guy working at, I dunno, Toyota in Nagoya threw himself in front of a train because the company required too many hours of him.

Plus I think most people born outside of Asia who have alternatives don't feel the same level of responsibility. We tend to be quite a bit more arms-length when it comes to employer/employee relationships.
Japanese people have potentially spent their entire lives, starting in elementary school or earlier, working to get where they are. You can't get a prestigious job if you don't go to a good college, thus you have to go to a good high school, thus a good middle school, thus a good elementary school. They feel an obligation to themselves, family, the company, and maybe even society to tough it out. Sometimes they come out the other side stronger, ready to put their kohai or subordinates through the same wringer. Sometimes they give up entirely, with disastrous consequences.

I think most Westerners would quit and/or leave the country before a crappy work/life balance really started impacting our mental health. That mindset is partially what's driving the Great Resignation these days in the US.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

zmcnulty posted:

Realistically the vast majority of jobs that (white) foreigners do and the kinds of companies we work for means we can generally avoid all of the poor work/life balance that a lot of Japanese people endure, if desired. Even the shittiest English teacher dispatch companies may treat their gaijins like dirt and pay them like 3 million yen a year, yet they're also not requiring them to stay in the office until 9PM every night. Sure there are some exceptions--starting your own business, law, some roles in finance, IT crunch--but those jobs often have poor work/life balance outside of Japan too. It's mostly the "black" SMOs in Japan that have the semi-mandatory ridiculous work hours you hear about, and those usually aren't the kinds of companies that would hire any Westerners at all.

What's an SMO in this context?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Small medium organisations I think

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Did you Japan?
Hai sempai 166 38.60%
No 42 9.77%
Unknown 26 6.05%
Goku 196 45.58%
Total: 430 votes

Results are in, Goku is the winner for January 2021, thanks for your contributions everybody!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Small medium organisations I think

Right, this. Nikkei says 99.7% of the companies in Japan are SMOs, and they employ 68.8% of the working population. There's more data in this article which says around 60% of companies, big or small/medium, don't hire any gaijin at all, which doesn't really jive with my previous post. But it also says 60% of the gaijins getting hired are either technical trainees or dependent visas, most are working in construction/manufacturing/something industrial, and 77% are making less than 30man per month. Probably not many people leaving the Western world to work at construction sites or factories just to scrape by in Japan, so the vast majority are from elsewhere in Asia. tl;dr if you're reading this post on these dead gay forums you are probably skilled enough to not have to worry about having a bad work/life balance in Japan.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, well

There's nothing I could do that a local couldn't do better, so no way in hell would I be able to emigrate.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

it sucks for japanese people who are expected to put up with it, white westerners aren't expected to do the same (i dunno what it's like for asian westerners, or the occasional black or middle eastern guy i see working in construction, probably different), even if your job title is the same as a japanese coworker you aren't expected to put up with the same things

Yeah it’s not so bad for black westerners either. Not really sure why you and zmcnulty would assume things would be any different for non-whites from the same countries.

DiscoJ fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 9, 2022

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

DiscoJ posted:

Yeah it’s not so bad for black westerners either. Not really sure why you and zmcnulty would assume things would be any different for non-whites from the same countries.

because zmcnulty talking about the vast majority of foreign workers in Japan: Chinese and southeast asians

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DiscoJ posted:

yeah sorry i just meant that there's a lot of foreign workers in japan that work blue collar jobs and most of these seem to be either chinese or other asian countries, or middle eastern, or black african, i was just stating i don't know what their situation is like as a caveat to the rest of my post

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Thanks for all the replies! I've been thinking about this a lot ever since I got an offer from a japanese company. They said that a portion of the salary was a fixed overtime bonus, and that overtime was "very low" at an average at 20 hours a month. Seemed crazy to me that they'd brag about that. I also thought it was super shady that like, 40% of the salary was in this so called "fixed overtime bonus", which from a cursory look in google is not subject to labor laws, so they can reduce it for any reason should I not work 20h of overtime every month.
Despite all that it lit up this little "what if..." light in my brain that hasn't gone off. This was almost a year ago, now. I lead a very comfortable, but very boring, life, but I'm just afraid that working 300h/week in Japan might be the wrong way to shake things up. Even if that means that I finally get a use of all the hours I put into studying japanese. :cheeky:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Name and shame lol

Jeez

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Phone posted:

Name and shame lol

Jeez

Fixed overtime is very common. It's called みなし残業.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Gabriel Grub posted:

Fixed overtime is very common. It's called みなし残業.

Are they a KK? I can’t find them

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

marumaru posted:

Thanks for all the replies! I've been thinking about this a lot ever since I got an offer from a japanese company. They said that a portion of the salary was a fixed overtime bonus, and that overtime was "very low" at an average at 20 hours a month. Seemed crazy to me that they'd brag about that. I also thought it was super shady that like, 40% of the salary was in this so called "fixed overtime bonus", which from a cursory look in google is not subject to labor laws, so they can reduce it for any reason should I not work 20h of overtime every month.
Despite all that it lit up this little "what if..." light in my brain that hasn't gone off. This was almost a year ago, now. I lead a very comfortable, but very boring, life, but I'm just afraid that working 300h/week in Japan might be the wrong way to shake things up. Even if that means that I finally get a use of all the hours I put into studying japanese. :cheeky:

If it is the みなし残業 (minashi zangyou, 'expected overtime') Gabriel mentioned, you may not need to see it in that way. The system basically means that you will only get paid additional extra overtime if you go above 20 hours in a month. It doesn't mean you must do 20 hours overtime to get your base salary. For my company, the 'expected overtime' is set at 40 hours IIRC, and I work 'undertime' more frequently than I work 'overtime' these days. I still get my full salary, same everyone else doing the standard 7.5 hours (+lunch break) each day.

So yes, actually the threshold being set at 20 hours (instead of 40 like at my company) can be considered 'very low'. It means you'd get paid extra for your overtime a lot sooner.

That said, if they were literally talking about actual overtime, as opposed to the 'expected overtime', then yeah you should probably stay away from such an environment.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Gabriel Grub and zmcnulty may know more accurate specifics, but my impression has been that very few positions are overtime exempt in japan and the way businesses get around it is they bake overtime in. As others have already said, you get paid for that baked-in overtime whether you work it or not, so the smart thing to do is avoid working any overtime :D

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

DiscoJ posted:

I hope it's the same! I phrased my posts like that specifically because I don't want to make assumptions about the situations of non-whites from the same countries. I'm white, been working in salaryman corporate Japan for like 14 years, and many of my friends are also white in similar jobs so I can speak with some degree of confidence about that specific group. In theory, sure, Japanese people wouldn't have expectations of an Asian/Black/Hispanic person from the US any different from their expectations of me. But I'm not really in a position to address that with much authority, is all.

marumaru posted:

This is exactly what my company has. As other posters said, it's pretty standard for seishain. Basically a certain amount of overtime is baked into your salary. We do have to submit timecards but that's not to ensure we meet some minimum threshold. Instead, it's to ensure we aren't working too much overtime. My company has gotten some warnings from the MHLW before and they take it quite seriously. Like literally forcing people to go leave at 5:30PM towards the end of the month because they're too close to hitting the overtime cap. As you get more seniority that cap gets higher, but your comp will go up too.

Also 20 hours of overtime a month is like an hour a day? So you stay until 6:30 rather than 5:30, big deal. Unless you have kids you have to pick up from nursery school or something, you can still make happy hour.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

My company is unionized (auto industry) and we have full flex and zero overtime - it’s supposed to be only with alignment of the director of the department. Of course, this was an issue in the past (I believe we heard from the government), but it’s the one time I actually believe that HR wants to see that improve, and I know the union stance is very “hire more people, you jerks.”

My wife’s company is that “first 20 is covered” style, and I know plenty of others who have that style. I’m pretty glad I avoided that through sheer luck and circumstances.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

You can also just not do the overtime and if eventually they get pissed off and fire you or something, who cares, just go back to whatever you were doing before, it's just a job. Like if some manager comes up and says "you didn't stay an extra hour yesterday (doing nothing)" then just blankly look at them and say "oh yeah I didn't need to" then just walk away.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ok

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

back in europe, my wife and i are seriously discussing going back to live in japan this year though because the housing market's just a lot more affordable and jobs in our fields are more readily available

whenever i come back to europe after having been there for a while it's like a cold bath when you step off the plane, people blocking your way on the escalators, much less friendly staff, buying a bottle of water is suddenly 3 euros instead of 100 yen and you have to queue up instead of going to a vending machine, and so on

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Shibawanko posted:

back in europe, my wife and i are seriously discussing going back to live in japan this year though because the housing market's just a lot more affordable and jobs in our fields are more readily available

whenever i come back to europe after having been there for a while it's like a cold bath when you step off the plane, people blocking your way on the escalators, much less friendly staff, buying a bottle of water is suddenly 3 euros instead of 100 yen and you have to queue up instead of going to a vending machine, and so on

Cheese tho

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Non-job-chat I guess, but seems like barring any new weird strains causing furthering of isolationist entry policies, Japan's considering re-opening to non-tourist foreign entry in.. March, I read somewhere? .. so that probably bodes well for me booking a flight for next May (2023) and maybe being somewhat confident I won't have to mash the cancel button.

It's a fools errand to try to anticipate this but I guess this is the closest we've been to considering reopening so.. I'll stay optimistic?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 16, 2022

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don't expect tourism yet, sorry

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah I see I said next May without realizing that next may is technically still 2022. I meant 2023 for sure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If nothing else goes wrong I wouldn't be too surprised if tourism is back on the menu in 2023. They may still be limiting how many can come at once if that's possible, not sure how that would work with countries that don't require a visa in advance.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I see I said next May without realizing that next may is technically still 2022. I meant 2023 for sure.

Instead of booking then cancelling then booking then cancelling and praying they'll open the borders sometime between now and <departure date>, how about just waiting for them to actually announce they're open again and organising your trip then? Japan's not an endangered species that you have to see now now now before it disappears, dude.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Once Japan opens up the floodgates will open and it would be hard to get a good place booked at a decent price.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Because I like having something to look forward to.

It literally costs me nothing to be optimistic.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Zettace posted:

Once Japan opens up the floodgates will open and it would be hard to get a good place booked at a decent price.

I'm so loving jealous of the people living in Japan who can visit empty Kyoto.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

It's cold as balls tho

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

It's cold as balls tho

That's just a reason to go to an onsen.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Zettace posted:

This is the main reason why I ain't made any plans whatsoever.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The current discussion is opening for new foreign residents, and possibly relaxing quarantine rules on return for current residents (including no quarantine for certain areas, details still TBD).

So I wouldn’t be shocked if by fall we’re looking at tourism returning.

Whether it’s a true good idea or not is a bit separate, but that’s where my brain is at.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
better tourists than students tbh

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
What do y’all have against students??

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Tourists at least have money.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
For purely selfish reasons I will gladly accept all students being able to get in before a single tourist.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

In my experience 90% of students are doing the tourist thing anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I was just being nice. I'd rather be priority over students too.

Over everyone, really. Sorry all.

Reiterating my stance