Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
That Time Vince Almost Ended Kurt Angle's Career (Not Clickbait!) (Gone Sexual?!)

Reality shows were all the rage, and I guess still kinda are. But going back a few years they were definitely the "Hot New Thing" with your Survivors and Big Brothers and Bachelors and whatnot. So WWE wanted to get in the action.

The premise of Tough Enough was actually pretty solid. You get a bunch of people who want to become professional wrestlers, and you create a competition reality show based around training them. The audience gets to see what goes into becoming a wrestler and the contestants get to build up names for themselves before ever even debuting in the ring. The trainers are all WWE wrestlers (current and former), so they all get a rub and a sort of general push. And even though there's only supposed to be one or two winners, with the prize being a massive contract, you still now have a handful of other talent you can continue to work with and sign to smaller contracts. It's a total win!

Now let's talk about how this all falls apart.

The mentality behind how to properly train wrestlers is to basically put them through boot camp. The general idea was to break these people and knock them down. Those that got back up? Congrats, you want it bad enough. Those that can't handle it? Well, see ya later, weakling. Exhaust the poo poo out of them, make them run drills and practice moves until their muscles give out. Beat on them until they're too sort to move.

On one hand, professional wrestling is a very physical job, and not only do you have to worry about yourself, but you gotta take care of everyone else you get in the ring with. You NEED to be at a certain level of physicality and determination or else people will get hurt.

On the other hand, there's lots of egos and people looking down on these contestants for what some considered an easy road to get to the same place others worked their rear end off for, and they'll be DAMNED if they're gonna let you get away with it. This was, and is, a very common issue in WWE, and you have all kinds of fun things relating to hazing, "Stiffing" (actually hurting your opponent for real), a kangaroo court of wrestlers, and even worse. Because this is a very good and healthy way to run a business.

Remember this face for later.

So there was a fine line between "Make sure these people understand what is required of them and they can provide it" and "Make sure these people suffer for their arrogance because I'm old and my body is falling apart and I'm past my prime in this business and I can't handle these things with maturity."

Remember this face for later.

So let's jump ahead to Tough Enough 4, where it seemed the entire premise was to center the whole thing around the very open secrets I just mentioned above. By this time, the show was no longer being broadcast on MTV, so instead, they were vignettes aired during the actual wrestling show, with some in-ring moments as well in front of the crowd.

Apparently it was Vince's idea to have things play out the way they did, with a little help from Paul Heyman egging things along, so we can tie this back to the original premise of this thread being about Vince's terrible ideas.

"Training" continued to include the above boot camp-style bullshit, but now included some very poorly thought out segments. You had other wrestlers staying in character and playing off these kids for heat by bullying them and smacking them around, except there was the major issue of these kids lacking experience and having no idea how to make any of this not look pathetic. For example, one time, Big Show talked some poo poo and pushed them around backstage, so the contestants were asked to cut promos in the ring to talk poo poo about Big Show in response. Following this, Big Show came out and smacked them around some more and would then body slam people who had not properly learned how to sell the illusion that they were just body slammed by a 7-foot-tall, 400-pound man, which ultimately made him look weak as poo poo because these guys would pop back up and back into position like they were currently trained to do. Hell, they were excitedly lining up for the opportunity like it was a ride. It's worth a watch.

(Honorable mention to Nick Mitchell's promo at 2:14. This guy would go on to play Mitch as part of the Spirit Squad.)

And then there's Kurt Angle.

Kurt Angle is a former Olympian and a goddamn wrestling machine. He's one of the best technical guys wrestling might ever have, and at the time, was playing a bad guy. He also had a neck held together by hopes and dreams and maybe some chewing gum, and was not at his physical best. So it's a great opportunity for him to establish dominance on, a bunch of kids who still don't know how to properly execute maneuvers without getting hurt or hurting someone else. Hell, make sure you run them to exhaustion and fill them with pasta first. And to make it even better, make them do a squat-thrusts competition to tire them out even more and the "winner" gets to have an actual impromptu match with Kurt Angle RIGHT AT THAT MOMENT!

So Kurt picks this one guy as a "winner" and lays him out as a reward, breaking the kid's ribs in the process and apparently landing on his own head wrong, causing him to lose feeling in his hand. Then, he challenges the others to see if anyone else wants some of this.

Now, what the contestants were probably supposed to do, was back off and make Angle look like an rear end in a top hat, albeit a very strong one. Daniel Puder either did not understand the assignment, or understood it perfectly, depending on who you ask.

Puder had a background in MMA, which meant that he was no stranger to harsh training, and was not one to back down from a fight. So not only did the attempts to wear him down not work, but he just saw Angle come out and break a friend's ribs and offered an open invitation to try and kick Angle's rear end for real, so he stepped the gently caress up. And the audience loved it. This guy immediately made a name for himself and just established a future storyline and feud to work with. In other words, Puder had now won Tough Enough and next few weeks were simply a formality.

But yeah, back to the match. They lock up and Puder quickly puts Angle in a Kimura Lock, which is basically "I'm going to bend your arm in a way it was not designed for." And he held that poo poo in, trying to get Angle to tap out and made to look like a bitch. Kurt Angle was not a bitch. Kurt Angle knew he absolutely could not tap out. Puder would have to break his arm before Angle would ever relent. Puder may or may not have been willing to oblige.

Thankfully, Puder rolled on his back, which is something you can do in MMA but not in wrestling, so a ref made a very quick decision to count this as Angle pinning Puder and winning the match. Puder relented and even extended his hand to Angle out of respect, but Angle instead got in his face and told him how loving stupid he was and to get the gently caress out of the ring.

Poor quality but you get the idea.

And that's how Vince McMahon almost sidelined one of his biggest stars with a broken arm.

After winning Tough Enough, Puder would go on to be part of the Royal Rumble, where he was stiffed by three other wrestlers and tossed out of the ring. He would then leave WWE after they tried to negotiate a much cheaper developmental contract for him after his first year guarantee was over, and continued to pursue MMA competition, retiring with an 8-0 record. Angle would seek to be released from his contract due to his neck continuing to not actually exist, but would then immediately sign with another promotion. The whereabouts of Kurt Angle's neck are currently unknown.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

gbs but from 2004 posted:

yeah I was gonna mention you brought it up too but I couldn’t find the post for some reason but yeah agreed, it was so good

based purely on the onscreen vibe and the small amount I read about aew it seems the atmosphere / vibe for the workers is wayyyyy better and more fun sans mcmahon which is totally unsurprising

it must be refreshing to work without insanely bizarre mind games being played with your career on the line

I can’t remember where I read it but apparently if you talk to Vince McMahon while he’s hungry he just flips out

also Jericho is a chud shithead?? what did he do?

I know he donated a pretty substantial amount of money to Republican candidates.

Rock 'n roll.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Do the brawl for all next!

Also watch Vice's dark side of the ring

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Trollologist posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh God loving Brawl For All.

I know it was at least mentioned in here, but holy poo poo it did not get the spotlight it deserved ITT.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

gbs but from 2004 posted:

also Jericho is a chud shithead?? what did he do?

Among other things he took his dumpy rock band Fozzy to the Sturgis festival during the first summer of the pandemic. Also his wife is a Q nutjob and he's still married to her.

He's a land of contrasts though because he really is one of the best overall performers ever and he's done a lot to help other wrestlers and the business in general. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard any stories about him burying people through backstage politics or any of that poo poo.

But he's stuck in the Attitude era and his promos all sound just like the ones he cut 20+ years ago. I'd feel bad for him but he's rich and takes a private plane from where he lives to any of the Florida shows sooooo...

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Time_pants posted:

I know he donated a pretty substantial amount of money to Republican candidates.

Rock 'n roll.

Oh what a dork

Cornwind Evil posted:

Though speaking of time periods, beyond that, Snow's biggest contribution to the business was probably being part of maybe the most ridiculously evil Saturday morning cartoon heel run of possibly all of wrestling history, which was the Big Boss Man's run in the latter half of 1999. Now THAT is a story for this thread, and if someone else doesn't tell it I will return to do so.

Yeah tell it dogg

Also even if you hate wrestling cos it’s dumb and fake:

Trollologist posted:

Also watch Vice's dark side of the ring

gbs but from 2004
Oct 24, 2004

wow u rude pig

"i STarTed this TOIlEt Of A tHreaD aNd HAve sOmEHOW aVoidEd A red teXt"

Elephant Ambush posted:

Among other things he took his dumpy rock band Fozzy to the Sturgis festival during the first summer of the pandemic. Also his wife is a Q nutjob and he's still married to her.

He's a land of contrasts though because he really is one of the best overall performers ever and he's done a lot to help other wrestlers and the business in general. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I've never heard any stories about him burying people through backstage politics or any of that poo poo.

But he's stuck in the Attitude era and his promos all sound just like the ones he cut 20+ years ago. I'd feel bad for him but he's rich and takes a private plane from where he lives to any of the Florida shows sooooo...

Fozzy really are loving terrible even for modern bland rock

Bad news for him on having a brain dead right wing nut job as a wife I guess

:agreed: though a lot of his stuff seems out of place in aew, it’s dated I guess plus he’s like 50+ and has a square body and huge head which I don’t care for

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Sums up my feelings well. Jericho is a chud shithead, but he's one of the my favorite heels of all time (beginning of AEW until mid last year was an incredible heel run) and I can't sit here without mentioning the fact that his commentary is some of the best in the business. He plays off every single character in the commentary crew perfectly and says some of the dumbest, most absurd poo poo that you don't always catch but when you do, it's a laugh riot.

Agreed on the promos though, downright embarrassing sometimes

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Jesse the Body Ventura was the best "bad guy" announcer commentator. Watch Wrestlemania 6 and listen to him breaking Gorilla Monsoon's balls.
Also, just in general he was dope. Including breaking Vin-o-Mac's balls when he was announcing with him.

Haven't paid attention to WWF (gently caress YOU ITS WWF) in years, or wrestling in general, but I'm glad to have gone to see all 3 major promotions live back in the late 90s. WWF House Show in Toronto, WCW Monday Nitro in Buffalo, and some sort of ECW show also in Buffalo.

It was dope yo!

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Jericho also was super against lockdowns and mask mandates a while back, but hid behind, "Just asking questions..." I'm pretty sure I've seen him support Trump on his twitter before too.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Trollologist posted:

I'm on this.

I want to see a Wes Anderson movie about Brawl for All.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gavok posted:

I'm on this.

I want to see a Wes Anderson movie about Brawl for All.

Guy Ritchie already made that one.

Bart Gunn (Brad Pitt) vs Dr. Death (Gorgeous George)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkrt66bhgv0

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

PicklePants posted:

Jericho also was super against lockdowns and mask mandates a while back, but hid behind, "Just asking questions..." I'm pretty sure I've seen him support Trump on his twitter before too.

He literally had Donald Trump Jr on his podcast

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

PicklePants posted:

He supported Trump by donating actual money to his reelection campaign

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

1998 was the year when WWF was figuring its poo poo out and was rising up to beat down WCW and regain its spot as the #1 wrestling company. They had so many hot acts at the time like Steve Austin, The Rock, D-Generation X, Mankind, Kane, and so on. There were so many great characters and ideas that it’s shocking that this was the year when Brawl for All happened.

Apparently, head writer Vince Russo overheard wrestler Bradshaw boast about how tough he was backstage and, being that Bradshaw’s an rear end in a top hat who has it coming, Russo had an idea to give Bradshaw his just desserts. A 16-man quasi-MMA tournament was put together called Brawl for All. It was basically boxing with takedowns and a sketchy point system. Most importantly, it was REAL. Not predetermined or pulled punches or any of that. It was 100% entirely legit during a show where everything else was not.

The winner was set to get $75,000 and a bunch of wrestlers signed up for it because they were mostly midcarders who were in danger of falling into obscurity. Notably at the time, WWF had a handful of legit MMA guys, including early UFC stars Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn. Supposedly, Shamrock was told NOT to take part in the tournament and Severn was pulled from it after winning in the first round.

The main reason for this was that WWF had already handpicked their winner...despite the realness of the competition. “Dr. Death” Steve Williams was considered the favorite to the point that he was a ringer. The plan was for him to blaze through the competition, prove himself to be a true badass, and then go on to challenge Steve Austin at some point.

The problem with all of this? IT WAS A LEGITIMATE COMPETITION and Steve Williams, while the kind of guy you’d like to have on your side in a barroom brawl, was not a boxer. A lot of the guys weren’t trained in boxing and there were so many injuries. There were guys who lost and advanced anyway because the winner was too hurt to show up for the next fight.

Also of importance: the fans absolutely hated these segments and would chant "BORING!" regularly.

Steve Williams was put in a first round match against Pierre the Quebecer, who while a total badass in real life, is also blind in one eye, so pretty limited in this kind of situation. In the second round, Williams faced Bart Gunn. Bart Gunn spent several years in a tag team the Smoking Gunns and after they split, he had absolutely nothing to do. But he was trained in boxing. The match went three rounds and after the first two, the points seemed blatantly and undeservedly skewed in Williams’ favor. If this went into a decision, Williams would absolutely win.

And so, Bart Gunn knocked him the gently caress out with a left hook, messing up his jaw. Jim Ross on commentary tried to hide his anger, both because Williams was his close friend and because he knew that this was loving up the company’s plans. Not only was Williams out of the tournament, but he was also injured and would be gone for several months. Even when he came back, he was only around for a few weeks before leaving the company.

Bart Gunn went on to knock out Bradshaw in the finals, at least giving us that closure. Rather than, I don’t know, ride the wave of Bart’s success and make something out of him like they were planning with Williams, they instead sidelined him. He won Brawl for All and then went off TV for a long, long time.

They did bring him back for one more bad decision. WrestleMania 15 was coming up and they were putting Bart Gunn up against Butterbean in a boxing match. Maybe they were gambling on Bart Gunn’s career, figuring that he could punch his ticket to the main event if he won. Maybe this was punishment for daring to be good at the job he was asked to do. Either way, Butterbean annihilated him in 35 seconds and the entire Brawl for All experiment came off like a tremendous waste of time.

That was it for Bart’s WWF career and he went off to wrestle in Japan for a while instead.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Vince: go out and do the best job you can. Get people to love you and look like a million bux.

Also Vince: you got people to love you and won without my approval?!??! YOU'RE FIRED!!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

For fans of 2001 tag teams:

Edge recently discovered his neck was fine and came back (with much fanfare) to what is apparently a legacy killing run in WWE

Christian discovered his neck was actually fine and signed to AEW (to much jeering) and has had series of good to great matches including winning the Impact/TNA world titles and a great match for the AEW world title. He is currently managing the current AEW Tag Champions: Luke Perry’s real life son and a wrestling dinosaur.

Matt Hardy brought his Broken persona to AEW on the first pandemic show and now has his own stable as Big Money Matt Hardy. Everything around him is the kind of joyful stupidity I absolutely need in my wrestling, excluding his feud with Sammy Guevara

Jeff Hardy walked out on a WWE house show. WWE made it known that he was offered rehab but turned it down. To match the thread’s theme it’s starting to appear that Jeff does not need rehab, there was no reason to suspect that he did, and WWE was just starting rumours to kill his chances at signing somewhere else. What a company.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bart Gunn was buried for ruining the company's plans that no one told him about. Butterbean was a punishment set up to hurt and embarrass him.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm watching the wrastling South Park episode. I like this one. A classic.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
This thread is such an incredible delve into the backend and lore and I just want to sincerely thank everyone's who's contributed so far :patriot:

I should check out AEW someday - it sounds campy, fun and dumb

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Dr Death Steve Williams is a name I’ve heard dozens of times on Jim Cornette podcasts but I have no idea who he is.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Peggy Edson posted:

He literally had Donald Trump Jr on his podcast

Sydney Bottocks posted:

He supported Trump by donating actual money to his reelection campaign

While I enjoy Jericho's antics on AEW, the dude can get hosed and if I watched him get his balls tazed until he died live on air as part of an AEW promo, I'd be fine with that. He's a land of contrasts but that doesn't make up for the fact that he's a poo poo head chud

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I've read that Jericho is also vehemently pro gun control so like :shrug:

But he did give us this great lol moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77NwC2TLR8

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'm watching the wrastling South Park episode. I like this one. A classic.

Funny thing with that episode. When AEW is in Jacksonville (which they were for most of the pandemic), the setup of the arena is based entirely on that South Park episode's layout just because Tony Khan thought it looked awesome.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_mgTlHCzz0

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScDHzMA6HI

MY GOD! THEY'RE GONNA DESTROY THE DIPPIN DOTS!

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Also, AEW recently announced Danhausen is All Elite, and here's how they did that. Worth the watch!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghzWaZR-Uc0

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Okay, so this is madness even before we start.

As said, Al Snow managed to get really over by being nutty and carrying a mannequin head around. What does everybody want? HEAD! Yuk yuk yuk.

But every gimmick runs its course, so after a while Al Snow had a falling out with Head and started trying to bring other 'friends' to the ring. His first try was a reindeer trophy bust named Pierre.

That didn't work, so he started bringing a chihuahua named Pepper instead.

Now the other half of the equation. This is, was, Ray Traylor.

As tragically, he died of a sudden heart attack in 2004. For further irony, in real life Traylor was said to be one of the nicest people in the sport, which makes the point of this story even funnier, in a way. In any case, Traylor's career started under the name of "Big Bubba Rogers", working as a bodyguard for Jim Cornette in the 80's southern territories. The thing about this start I also have to note is that the 'biggest thing' he was involved in was a scaffold match...

(And what is a scaffold match, you might ask? Why, it's a match where the wrestlers fight on a scaffold. Yes, the sport-performance that generally requires a very free range of motion would have people have matches on a narrow piece of bridge a legit 10-15-20 feet above the ring, hence ensuring that all they were really doing was carefully moving around and maybe exchanging a few punches. A scaffold match's purpose, of course, was for someone to get tossed off of it; it was generally presented as a feud ender, the match broken out when two or more men just had to go the extra mile to destroy each other. Or in Jim Cornette's case, to see him 'get hurt.'

See, Cornette was one of the best heel managers of all time, playing a general gimmick of a mamma's boy wimp (with hints of homosexuality) whose rich mother bought him everything he wanted and who would use his tennis racket to ensure his team would win through treachery, which pushed all the buttons of many, many southern crowds, and Cornette has plenty of stories about how he managed to get the fans to hate him so much that he literally had to fight his way back to the locker room with his team wielding chairs, putting a horseshoe inside his tennis racket so if he really had to use it it had impact, and generally a lot of "To the old boys these are fond memories of stuff that 'just doesn't happen any more', where if you examine it with any sense of clarity you realize Cornette was one bad luck turn away from ending up like the warden of the prison at the end of Natural Born Killers". Frankly, it's a level of 'true heat' this business is better off without.)

Anyway, in this match, with Traylor, playing his bodyguard, and with Cornette going to be up on the scaffold and get his just desserts by falling off it (never mind Cornette was not a trained wrestler or stuntman, nor was there any padding for him to fall on), said he would catch Cornette. And he did try. But between his sunglasses and the unexpected sheer intensity of the lights, Bubba completely missed his catch and poor Cornette landed on his feet after a legit 15 foot fall and wrecked the hell out of his knees. He'd recover, but it's a story of just how lunatic the business can be even without Vince McMahon.

In any case, Traylor would head to the WWF in the late 80's, where he was given his most famous gimmick, the Big Boss Man.

A former prison guard from Cobb County (which Traylor had actually been), so fittingly he started off as a nasty heel who would handcuff his opponents and beat them with a nightstick; he swiftly made an enemy of Hulk Hogan and would be a thorn in his side for months and months (even playing a part in the famous 'Mega Powers Explode!' angle). But Traylor, despite being a stout, bulky man, could really move well despite it, and that ability eventually got him cheered (fans are weird that way: do your job well, even if you're a bastard, and they'll start liking you for it, it's a story as old as pro wrestling itself), so he turned face in 1990...

(By refusing to accept a payment from Ted DiBiase to get the Million Doller Title back from Jake Roberts, because see, Traylor was a-ok doing it when it was presented as a man helping to get his rightful property back, but as soon as it was revealed Dibiase had paid Traylor's manager Slick off to get Traylor to do it, Traylor flipped out, declared 'he couldn't be bought', took the belt away (never mind Jake technically HAD stolen it) and became a good guy. Because beating the poo poo out of people who are helpless because of handcuffs and trying to destroy the great hero Hulk Hogan is all morally justified, but taking money for a task is a bridge too far. Eh, that's the story of, that's the glory of...)

And remained that way until he headed to WCW in the early 90's. He spent several years there, and eventually returned to the WWE in late 1998. With the WWE's Attitude Era in full swing by then, he updated his look so that he was now in all black tactical gear.

Unfortunately, despite having lost weight, the years of wear and tear and injuries were starting to break Traylor's body down (and who knows what drugs and steroids did, I suspect it's why he died young), so he was nowhere as good as he'd been several years prior. This is perhaps best shown in his Wrestlemania 15 match with the Undertaker, which took place inside the special "Hell In A Cell" cage...and is considered the absolute worst Hell In A Cell match in history. The only real notable thing about it was after Undertaker won, he had some of his minions rappel down to the cage's roof, pass him a rope, and then in front of the whole Wrestlemania and PPV audience murdered Big Boss Man by hanging him.

Yes, this happened. I saw it happen live on TV as it unfolded.

Traylor was then sent to a hospital, where he was pronounced 'alive', and he walked off this attempted execution (he was actually lifted by a harness hidden in his shirt). However, it seemed like the process gave him brain damage, because he would become the most evil, vile, horrible heel in all of Saturday morning shortly thereafter. And I ended up getting way too sidetracked, so I'll end it here and get to the actual story in a bit.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 18, 2022

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Right, so after Wrestlemania we have events where Al Snow now has a dog called Pepper and Big Boss Man walked off being executed. At the time, the WWE had a secondary title, the 'Hardcore Championship', which was meant to basically be a vanity title for Mick Foley as part of a storyline, but since 1) Mick was getting on the hottest streak of his career, and 2) His past as being part of all sorts of 'legendary' dangerous and garbage matches led to the title becoming official: Mick lost it to, surprise surprise, the Big Boss Man, and from there the belt was defended in hardcore matches, ie matches where the wrestlers used weapons and left the ring and so on.

Big Boss Man lost the title, went through his brief murder experience, and then a few months later, tried to get it back, targeting then-champion Al Snow. He beat Al for the title at the July PPV, then Al Snow won it back at the August PPV, in a match where "Just prior to the match, Snow had set Pepper's pet carrier near the entranceway; minutes into the match, Boss Man picked it up, taunted Pepper, struck Snow with the carrier and carelessly tossed it behind him; commentator Jim Ross immediately apologized to viewers for the act, and stated that Pepper had been removed from the box before the match." It would not surprise me if Vince heard that and didn't like it, because losing the match seemingly drove Bossman insane. So he promptly kidnapped Pepper. And tried to ransom him back to Snow. Snow agreed to meet Bossman at a hotel to get his dog back, but before he did, Bossman served Snow some steak. Which Snow, like an idiot, ate without question.

As you may have guessed, the storyline was that Bossman had killed the dog, ground it up into meat, cooked it, and served it to Snow. Or that was the implication; Pepper was never seen again, so...anyway, Snow, disgusted and furious, decided only a certain horrible match would settle this. A match of immense risk of mauling and injury, a match that could end both their careers...a KENNEL FROM HELL MATCH.

The ring would be surrounded by a classic WWE blue steel bars cage (which they basically stopped using around this time: what a match to go out on) and around that would be the larger "Hell in A Cell" cage. And between the two cages, at ringside, wild, vicious Rottweilers would roam. It would be a match of great danger; nowhere was safe! Could anyone escape this match without severe injury?

Well, uh...problem. As said, Bossman was a wreck by now. And Al Snow, while he could be a decent worker, was no 'carry-er', ie someone who could hide a wrestler's weaknesses and get a good to great match out of them (There's a term for some called the "Broomstick Test/Award" given to wrestlers who are so talented at such a thing that it's said that they could wrestle a broomstick and have a good match with it. To see this taken somewhat more literally, please have a look at renowned wrestler Kenny Omega, hailed as perhaps the best of the 21st century and one of the GOATS, in his younger days, having a 'match' with a nine year old girl.)

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=909496465830782

But hey, you can save a bad match with overbooking, and nasty dogs between the cages had never been done before. Well, turns out there's a reason for that. As the saying goes, never work with children or animals, because the savage, dangerous dogs, were, uh...

Not. Whether they were just naturally good boys or had been drugged to ensure no accidents, the dogs, rather than seem like a threat that both wrestlers had to avoid, spent their time peeing and pooping around the ring, and in one case, trying to mate, which the cameraman was slow to realize and cut away from. And hence, what should have just been an average bad match became...well, the Kennel From Hell match. At the end of it, Al Snow pulled out Head again, whacked Bossman with it, pinned him, and that was that.

If you don't believe me, then by all means, see it for yourself.

You'd think that would be the pinnacle of cartoon heel evil, but no. For Big Bossman, it was the warmup round.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Feb 9, 2022

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is this like a wwf turn where you're telling stories through an alter ego now? Evil twin?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I think the Big Bossman was one of the first things that helped me realize cops are bad so thanks for that wwf.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The real story about how Vince sucks rear end is the tragic tale of Zach Ryder.

I hope someone with more history knowledge can elaborate on him

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I think the Mountie was one of the first things that helped me realize Canada is bad so thanks for that wwf.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My first exposure was the mounty in Bullwinkle so I thought they were ok.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Not a wrestling watcher, so need some clarification.

When Tough Enough 4 rolls around after Tough Enough 3, Tough Enough 2 and Tough Enough, do you expect it to be incrementally better than Tough Enough 3 (as, I assume, Tough Enough 3 was from Tough Enough 2, etc.), or is it more about all Tough Enoughs holding the established entertainment and artism levels of Tough Enough the first?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Trollologist posted:

The real story about how Vince sucks rear end is the tragic tale of Zach Ryder.

I hope someone with more history knowledge can elaborate on him

I have good news. Since he left WWE he's been one of the top draws in the indies, particularly Game Changer Wrestling which features guest appearances by Mick Foley on a semi regular basis.

He goes by his real name Matt Cardona and his heel gimmick is great. The whole thing is "I used to be in WWE therefore I am a huge star and everyone must love me" and gets really mad when people don't give him that respect. It's pretty great and I'm happy for him.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Isn't Mick Foley a really good guy? I think I heard he was.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

People in here catching up on lost decades spent outside of the business need to invest the time to catch up on one of the most important character story arcs that continues to this day to shape the company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwyFABQX62A

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Isn't Mick Foley a really good guy? I think I heard he was.

Yes. He still does a lot for the business and for indie promotions and new wrestlers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Gavok posted:

1998 was the year when WWF was figuring its poo poo out and was rising up to beat down WCW and regain its spot as the #1 wrestling company. They had so many hot acts at the time like Steve Austin, The Rock, D-Generation X, Mankind, Kane, and so on. There were so many great characters and ideas that it’s shocking that this was the year when Brawl for All happened.

Apparently, head writer Vince Russo overheard wrestler Bradshaw boast about how tough he was backstage and, being that Bradshaw’s an rear end in a top hat who has it coming, Russo had an idea to give Bradshaw his just desserts. A 16-man quasi-MMA tournament was put together called Brawl for All. It was basically boxing with takedowns and a sketchy point system. Most importantly, it was REAL. Not predetermined or pulled punches or any of that. It was 100% entirely legit during a show where everything else was not.

The winner was set to get $75,000 and a bunch of wrestlers signed up for it because they were mostly midcarders who were in danger of falling into obscurity. Notably at the time, WWF had a handful of legit MMA guys, including early UFC stars Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn. Supposedly, Shamrock was told NOT to take part in the tournament and Severn was pulled from it after winning in the first round.

The main reason for this was that WWF had already handpicked their winner...despite the realness of the competition. “Dr. Death” Steve Williams was considered the favorite to the point that he was a ringer. The plan was for him to blaze through the competition, prove himself to be a true badass, and then go on to challenge Steve Austin at some point.

The problem with all of this? IT WAS A LEGITIMATE COMPETITION and Steve Williams, while the kind of guy you’d like to have on your side in a barroom brawl, was not a boxer. A lot of the guys weren’t trained in boxing and there were so many injuries. There were guys who lost and advanced anyway because the winner was too hurt to show up for the next fight.

Also of importance: the fans absolutely hated these segments and would chant "BORING!" regularly.

Steve Williams was put in a first round match against Pierre the Quebecer, who while a total badass in real life, is also blind in one eye, so pretty limited in this kind of situation. In the second round, Williams faced Bart Gunn. Bart Gunn spent several years in a tag team the Smoking Gunns and after they split, he had absolutely nothing to do. But he was trained in boxing. The match went three rounds and after the first two, the points seemed blatantly and undeservedly skewed in Williams’ favor. If this went into a decision, Williams would absolutely win.

And so, Bart Gunn knocked him the gently caress out with a left hook, messing up his jaw. Jim Ross on commentary tried to hide his anger, both because Williams was his close friend and because he knew that this was loving up the company’s plans. Not only was Williams out of the tournament, but he was also injured and would be gone for several months. Even when he came back, he was only around for a few weeks before leaving the company.

Bart Gunn went on to knock out Bradshaw in the finals, at least giving us that closure. Rather than, I don’t know, ride the wave of Bart’s success and make something out of him like they were planning with Williams, they instead sidelined him. He won Brawl for All and then went off TV for a long, long time.

They did bring him back for one more bad decision. WrestleMania 15 was coming up and they were putting Bart Gunn up against Butterbean in a boxing match. Maybe they were gambling on Bart Gunn’s career, figuring that he could punch his ticket to the main event if he won. Maybe this was punishment for daring to be good at the job he was asked to do. Either way, Butterbean annihilated him in 35 seconds and the entire Brawl for All experiment came off like a tremendous waste of time.

That was it for Bart’s WWF career and he went off to wrestle in Japan for a while instead.

This is the world's most perfect post. If all of humanity and its history were to vanish in an instant and only one thing could be preserved for whatever discovers the ruins, I would want it to be this.