Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BiggerBoat posted:

I can take or leave Tim Sale but I get why people like him. I love The Long Halloween and its art but ascribe most of that to the colorist, Gregory Wright, who I just had to look up because colorists never get any credit. Only blame.

Tim Sale's colourists get plenty of credit. Sale is colour blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jedit posted:

Tim Sale's colourists get plenty of credit. Sale is colour blind.

I did not know that. Wow.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Since we're on the topic, what comics spring to mind when you think of colours elevating the pencilwork? I've been trying to distinguish more actively between comics where I like the pencils and comics where I like the colours lately (and comics where I like both, of course), and it has given me a new appreciation for good colouring work.

Here are some that I immediately thought of:

(No One Left to Fight II - colours by Ficco Osio and Raciel Avira)

(Middlewest - colours by Jean-Francois Beaulieu)

(Age of Apocalypse: 10th Anniversary One-Shot - colours by Gary Yeung)

I think I might be on my own in liking the cartoony but desaturated colouring house style of Udon Comics, but I am who I am. It's exactly the kind of colouring I like to see alongside manga-inspired artwork.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sky Doll – Aqua by Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa

Sky Doll – Sudra by Alessandro Barbucci and Barbara Canepa

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 8, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Hey, Bartm remember Liefeld?

He's back! In NFT form

https://screenrant.com/comic-creator-rob-liefeld-nft-comic-superhero-universe/

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, comic creator Rob Liefeld excitedly revealed new details of his upcoming comic The Defiants and his future plans involving NFTs. The Defiants will be the first of four comics distributed exclusively on digital art market MakersPlace.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

BiggerBoat posted:

He's back! In NFT form

Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, comic creator Rob Liefeld excitedly revealed new details of his upcoming comic The Defiants and his future plans involving NFTs. The Defiants will be the first of four comics distributed exclusively on digital art market MakersPlace.

So if what I was told about nft were true, then he’ll have exactly 1 issue to sell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
No FeeT

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

good lord Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #3

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
All that pizza did a number on poor Lucky.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

good lord Hawkeye: Kate Bishop #3

It's a special head arrow

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

BiggerBoat posted:

He's back! In NFT form

He's finally drawn something with a footprint.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Draga posted:

He's finally drawn something with a footprint.

:perfect:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Darthemed posted:

Hawkeye #2 (1983)
Pencils: Mark Gruenwald (breakdowns); Brett Breeding (finished art)
Inks: Brett Breeding
and the star of this panel
Colors: Bob Sharen

I want to point out that's not how that would've looked on the original page. Digital versions of DC & Marvel's back catalogue from the pre-computer era are notorious for having really bad, flat digital coloring that often completely ruins what the original colorist intended. Here's the original panel as it looked printed for reference:

Bob Sharen did nothing wrong, basically.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST
Been reading the post-Crisis Wonder Woman run recently. The art was great until George Perez stopped drawing it, and Chris Marrinan's art goes from competent to unbelievably shonky often in the space of a single issue.

The faces here look like something from a Fletcher Hanks comic.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I've been working through the Dark Horse Aliens books and although there have been some edgy 90s stinkers and boring retreads it's been pretty good overall. As far as art goes, Salvation with Mike Mignola and Sacrifice with Paul Johnson have been highlights

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo it's Venom!

Also I genuinely love the little scribbled box that can't contain the xeno.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What If...? is a series for imagining how slight twists on favourite Marvel canon stories would play out.

Well, usually.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Lobok posted:

What If...? is a series for imagining how slight twists on favourite Marvel canon stories would play out.

Well, usually.

Every single thing about this cover is the best thing about this cover.

EDIT: My god -- is the black guy in the back using a space dart gun!?!?

EDIT: While the art is pretty fantastic throughout, a lot of issue surrounds a direct, literally spoon fed narrative of Pearl Harbor ("at exactly this time in Oahu") which makes a lot of the following depictions and characterizations unfortunate. Let's just say that the eyes of the evil reptilians are... more narrow than what's shown here.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 23, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

EDIT: My god -- is the black guy in the back using a space dart gun!?!?

No, he's blowing a laser trumpet. Through his helmet.

I am not kidding.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Selachian posted:

No, he's blowing a laser trumpet. Through his helmet.

I am not kidding.

This is wonderful!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/samuli47/status/1489675965533986819

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

There is something extra spicy about tracing two characters from the same image.

Why, miss Jones, why? :smithfrog:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
are those all from the same artist?
e: I mean, is it somebody reusing their own work, or stealing somebody else's work?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 7, 2022

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

are those all from the same artist?
e: I mean, is it somebody reusing their own work, or stealing somebody else's work?

It's Joëlle Jones (allegedly) tracing the art of Pepe Larraz.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JordanKai posted:

It's Joëlle Jones (allegedly) tracing the art of Pepe Larraz.

No "allegedly" about it. There's video comparisons in the replies. Unless you believe Jones somehow referenced the pose perfectly down to the hem of a skirt, she traced Larraz's work.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Oof Jolle is a good artist, so she didn't need to straight up trace that. Unless she's been tracing stuff all this time and nobody noticed until now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Oof Jolle is a good artist, so she didn't need to straight up trace that. Unless she's been tracing stuff all this time and nobody noticed until now.

If she has, by week's end it's going to be out there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Really baffling that of all the things an artist might trace, you'd pick a piece of cover art from a widely popular X-Men book :confused:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Really baffling that of all the things an artist might trace, you'd pick a piece of cover art from a widely popular X-Men book :confused:

Just tracing anything from X-Men these days is asking to be caught.

Apparently there is more stuff that people posted that she's traced. How disappointing.

https://twitter.com/SBelisarius/status/1482370815026995203

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 8, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

She must've fallen asleep doing that pinky.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Rhyno posted:

If she has, by week's end it's going to be out there.

It's all coming out now, swipes and photo traces

edit: photos are one thing, but do other artists ever speak up when their panels are copied? How much is it frowned on?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean every artist bites from somewhere, and every pro has a retinue of poses/physiques they call back to, and using photo reference isn't the end of the world (if Greg Land's career is anything to go by). No idea how it's actually perceived in the industry, but since she was biting from prominent star artists on major covers it's probably going to be harder to justify/blow over than it might have been.

Also going to just bite down and address the elephant in the room-- this is a woman, so by virtue of existing and having any talent at all I imagine this is blood in the water for the sharks we all know have nothing better to do than get whipped into a frenzy over this. I do not envy the life she is about to have.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Photo reference is a normal part of an artist's toolkit, like a ruler or an eraser. You don't have to use it but there isn't any real reason not to if it'll help you figure out a pose.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

Photo reference is a normal part of an artist's toolkit, like a ruler or an eraser. You don't have to use it but there isn't any real reason not to if it'll help you figure out a pose.

Go all in like Alex Ross and have a photo studio with a warehouse full of superhero costumes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kramjacks posted:

And that's just for people. It's also required for objects. Artists don't have magical brains that know or remember what everything in the world looks like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tracing another artists work should be automatic loss of career.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rhyno posted:

Tracing another artists work should be automatic loss of career.

So, Nick Simmons?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Kingdom posted:

So, Nick Simmons?

Yes.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Man I like Joelle's art and she was super nice when I met her at a con years ago when she was promoting Hellheim with Cullen Bunn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
A case of bad editing decisions made to good art

https://twitter.com/SavageSmallwood/status/1491463477952663554?t=rBEg0EUJkXo-ZSRoZlaGOg&s=19