Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Brawnfire posted:

If I lived on my own I'd absolutely eat brown rice for 95% of meals

Same but rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

If I lived on my own I'd absolutely eat brown rice for 95% of meals

Do you mean literally just brown rice, and not like, a dish, cuz literally just brown rice will leave you malnourished and dead, which is why literally 99% of all of humanity went crazy for meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, and dairy.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Which is frustrating when I'm like, trying to find a song I like and all I can remember is wheemem ooo anana AY

New Sims soundtrack sounding good.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
100% of my meals are random flavors of noodles I buy at the store. Annie's brand, I think? I don't even know. I'm vegan, but I don't like vegetables, so I don't use the freeze-dried toppings. I keep a drawer in my house full of them, in case I guess I want a salad?

credburn has a new favorite as of 05:41 on Feb 7, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do you mean literally just brown rice, and not like, a dish, cuz literally just brown rice will leave you malnourished and dead, which is why literally 99% of all of humanity went crazy for meat, fish, fruit, vegetables, and dairy.

Don't threaten me with a good time :v:

But seriously, yeah some other stuff, but it would be centered around a huge bowl of steamed brown rice

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

Don't threaten me with a good time :v:

But seriously, yeah some other stuff, but it would be centered around a huge bowl of steamed brown rice

I am shaking you like the skeleton: you need to cook beans

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ah christ you sound like my wife

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Killingyouguy! posted:

"oh I'm not the kind of person who can eat the same thing every day"

How the gently caress do you think the majority of humanity has lived and is currently living? You absolutely can eat the same thing two days in a row. Eat your goddamn leftovers
That's someone that's way too overstimulated.

Though there is quite a distance between "I can't only eat beans and rice every day!" and "I have to eat something else before I get into the leftover pizza or I'd feel weird."

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Random irritating thing: when there's a non-fictional documentary (podcast, etc.) on some kind of supernatural topic like ghosts or aliens, and the people representing the skeptics' side give ~rational~ explanations for the observed phenomena, but they say the absolute dumbest things. Things that are even less rational, more debunkable, and more reaching than "it was ghosts!" It makes me cringe; I'm a skeptic, and I feel like they make skeptics look more foolish and gullible than the believers.

FOR EXAMPLE. There's a BBC podcast on the "Battersea poltergeist," an alleged haunting of a house with mysterious phenomena which lasted for over 12 years. The guy representing the skeptical side is constantly offering up ridiculous arguments that don't actually explain anything away. For instance, the haunted house at the center of the podcast is a row home which experienced loud banging sounds throughout the house, so loud that neighbors called the police for noise disturbances, so loud you could hear the sounds outside from the street, every day for 12 years. None of the other houses in the row experienced these sounds in their homes.

The skeptical arguments presented are things like "maybe it was the sound of icicles dropping in an underground sewer" (uh...every day of the year, even in summer, for 12 years straight? which none of their neighbors could hear in their own homes on the same row?), "maybe it was the sound of subway trains" (again, only affecting this one house and not their neighbors?), and the worst/best one -- "maybe it was the sound of someone cracking the knuckles in their toes". How do these lameass explanations actually explain anything?

(NB: if the sound of someone cracking their knuckles in their toes is so loud that their neighbors call the police on them and describe the sound as "the sound of someone ripping up their floor boards," WTF man, this is not the satisfactory pat answer you make it out to be -- this is an unprecedented medical marvel itself begging for investigation.)

Another example: the Marfa lights in Texas. Skeptics will say that the lights are caused by cars' headlights. But the lights have been reported since before cars were invented, and they don't move in straight horizontal lines like car lights move, but fly vertically, make figure 8 patterns, change colors, etc. "It's just car headlights" is not a rational explanation, because the conclusion doesn't address the features of the phenomenon as they've been observed. (It's not unlike that true crime case where a woman's body was found submerged in water, bruises around her throat, ligature marks around her wrists and ankles...and the coroner declared she had died of a virus. Madness.)

And THEN, often a lot of skeptics present rationales which are very close to saying, "Well, since we can't explain it, it must not have happened." That is abominably lazy thinking; that's not rational, scientific thinking at all. FFS, especially when you're going to be interviewed for a documentary, make some actual effort and do some research into the given phenomena, so you can A) not sound like a dumbass, B) not make skeptics in general look bad, and C) actually figure out what's going on?

Really, I'm just pissed that I listened to 14 episodes of a story involving dozens and dozens of people reporting loud banging sounds in a row home for 12 years, and not one person had spent the intellectual effort to honestly and scientifically investigate the cause of the sounds, nor any of the other phenomena experienced in the house. It's either ghosts or toe bones with these people. :ignorance:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Occam's Razor is absolutely skeptical, scientific thinking. "They made it up" isn't a satisfying explanation, but since the alternatives are "ghosts exist", welp. In addition, the burden of proof is on the person saying a thing happened or exists, not the one saying it didn't/doesn't.

To your point it's possible that shows produced by or aimed at the credulous might not be able to attract the best skeptical experts, or might deliberately select ones who sound ridiculous, or edit them that way.

The family member who lives with us NEVER eats her leftovers and it's brutal for me to watch good food just sit there in the fridge and rot until it gets thrown out. Not just healthy stuff! There's a container with fried, breaded chicken tenders that's just been sitting there for about five days now. I'd ask if she'd mind if I eat them but it's the kind of relationship where I don't like this particular person feeling like I owe them a single god drat thing, not even a "thank you".

Imagined has a new favorite as of 23:54 on Feb 7, 2022

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Recycling and sorting all our rubbish into seperate piles so it can go and be illegally burnt in a developing country is obviously all a stupid pantomime anyway, but nevertheless it annoys me when I get stuck behind the bin lorry and the bin men are just openly throwing all the food waste in with the plastic and glass etc.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
There is an alarm in a building behind our house that went off at roughly 7am this morning and has now been ringing for about 16 hours.

The building was until recently a pub, but that business has gone into liquidation, so apparently nobody's now taking responsibility for it. neat cheetos

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Occam's Razor is absolutely skeptical, scientific thinking. "They made it up" isn't a satisfying explanation, but since the alternatives are "ghosts exist", welp. In addition, the burden of proof is on the person saying a thing happened or exists, not the one saying it didn't/doesn't.

To your point it's possible that shows produced by or aimed at the credulous might not be able to attract the best skeptical experts, or might deliberately select ones who sound ridiculous, or edit them that way.
That's the problem, though -- the rationales they're presenting aren't adhering to Occam's Razor, but are far from it. Instead of thinking critically about actually plausible reasons behind reported phenomena, they offer up ridiculous scenarios that would themselves violate the laws of nature or require an elaborate web of coincidences to occur, or they just plain fail to address the observed features of the phenomena. This is not being rational -- this is just another form of making up impossible fantasies to explain away things they don't understand. In consequence, this weakens their credibility.

And now to your second paragraph: that had never occurred to me before, and this seems like the most plausible explanation behind it all. It's not skeptics being genuine albeit dumb, it's the media making skeptics (and Skepticism) look so irrational that belief in the supernatural is rational in comparison. gently caress!

...Thinking about all of this reminded me of an experience I had with my dad when I was a kid. One summer, we went on a family vacation through Europe and stopped to visit the main cathedral in Lisbon, Portugal. All over the floor were strange symbols carved deeply into the stone. There weren't that many of them in total, but they appeared in every area of the floor -- you'd see them under a pew, in the middle of the aisle, up by the altar, all over. They didn't look like any religious symbols I knew, either, more like alchemical symbols. So I asked my dad what they were.

My dad said, "Ehhh, they don't mean anything. People probably just carved them while they were bored in church."

Even as a little kid, I saw his answer couldn't hold up to scrutiny. You mean to tell me people just so happened to carry hammers and chisels with them to church, and in the middle of Mass, they'd get bored and would get up to go kneel in the middle of the aisle -- in full view of the priest and the whole congregation -- and just start chipping away at the floor? And everyone else was okay with this? The priest just carries on saying Mass, while some guy is making loud stone chipping sounds in the middle of the aisle? No way, man. Besides, that doesn't explain why they're carving strange alchemical symbols and not, like, the medieval equivalent of Dickbutt.

So I asked my dad to go ask someone else, like a tour guide, about the symbols, but he refused and just repeated, "People carved them because they were bored."

Years later, I'm flipping through a library book on the construction of medieval cathedrals, and I see a page of strange alchemical symbols carved in stone. It turns out they're masons' marks, and they were used to guide the placement of the stones when assembling floors and such.

"People carved them because they were bored." :argh:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

There was a mason's mark on one of the stones used in my primary school and that was the subject of a lot of playground urban legends.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Masons you say?

:mason:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My actual pet peeve is that Free Masonry is just a cosplay/dinner party club for old guys with too much money and time on their hands and not actually as shadowy and spooky as the pop culture makes it out to be.

I mean sure they probably do worship JAHBULON but them controlling society is a mere side effect of members largely being old and wealthy and not a vast conspiracy unless you think old dudes being overrepresented in finance and government is a conspiracy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

I'm vegan, but I don't like vegetables

how are you not dead

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tree Bucket posted:

how are you not dead

Just eat the fake meat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
*eats edamame and washes it down with one of an infinite list of amazing tofu dishes, enjoys a black bean burg gently caress you, dies* "fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk if only I had eaten more nugggggsssss"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tree Bucket posted:

how are you not dead

You sound like my doctor.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

*eats edamame and washes it down with one of an infinite list of amazing tofu dishes, enjoys a black bean burg gently caress you, dies* "fuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkk if only I had eaten more nugggggsssss"
Beans are vegetables.

credburn posted:

100% of my meals are random flavors of noodles ... I don't use the freeze-dried toppings.
I don't know how much nutrition is in whatever processed vegetable matter ends up actually in the food if you do include them, but credburn isn't even getting that. Just noodles (and spices?).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Beans are vegetables.

next you'll tell me tomatoes are fruits, sunsets are bland, and vacations are just going to another place full of humans, water, dirt, and buildings in various orders.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I tried being vegan once, but I found leftover lentils repulsed me

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

FreudianSlippers posted:

My actual pet peeve is that Free Masonry is just a cosplay/dinner party club for old guys with too much money and time on their hands and not actually as shadowy and spooky as the pop culture makes it out to be.

Am a mason, can confirm or can I???

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

next you'll tell me tomatoes are fruits, sunsets are bland, and vacations are just going to another place full of humans, water, dirt, and buildings in various orders.
Are you saying beans aren't vegetables? How would you categorise them?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Edit: Musical fruit

credburn has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Feb 9, 2022

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

credburn posted:

Musical fruit

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I'm a member of the Ancient Mystic Society of No Homers and I can confirm we are, in fact, allowed to have one

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
My pet peeve is millennials who use Simpsons references as a substitute for humour.

Just kidding, it's all I have.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Microsoft released an update to the Windows weather app that no longer shows the time in hourly

It's bad and unnecessary.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiggum posted:

Depends on what kind of categorization you're looking for! In culinary terms? Sure, they are.

If you're asking for a scientific categorization, then no, they are not. "Vegetable" isn't even a valid scientific term. Scientifically, beans are legumes.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

I tried being vegan once, but I found leftover lentils repulsed me

But that's when they become the best!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Depends on what kind of categorization you're looking for! In culinary terms? Sure, they are.
Given the context (someone saying "I don't eat vegetables") I think the culinary definition is the one we're going for, yes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Silver Falcon posted:

If you're asking for a scientific categorization, then no, they are not. "Vegetable" isn't even a valid scientific term. Scientifically, beans are legumes.

In culinary terms no, beans are not vegetables, what the gently caress

Are there seriously people out there who hear "vegetables" and think black beans? At that point you may as well start insisting rice is a vegetable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why not? And how would you categorise them?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Beans are a swing role between veg and protein, it just depends how you eat them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Are there seriously people out there who hear "vegetables" and think black beans? At that point you may as well start insisting rice is a vegetable.

:suspense:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I think there are enough beans with enough diversity that they simply get to be categorized as "beans".

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My brain went to "thing used in vegetarian cooking," was my logic.

So what are they? Protein? Something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Phosphine posted:

I think there are enough beans with enough diversity that they simply get to be categorized as "beans".

It's this. I'm genuinely baffled.

Like if beans are a vegetable then why isn't rice a vegetable? Why aren't oats? Is hummus a vegetable slurry? What does that make mushrooms?

Beans or legumes or whatever you want to call them are a whole category of their own.