Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
also lol at the fact they did the lumberyard flip of a button 5-6(?) years ago to utilize CLOUD TECHNOLOGY and the servers are in even more of an abysmal state than they were then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Time_pants posted:

I knew that shitizens were going to immediately revert to the status quo despite the howling last week, but even I didn't expect them to so fully embrace the new narrative and so viciously defend it this quickly and totally. Oh my God.

Everybody wants the game, so they're treating Chris and crew like a mega company version of Phil Fish where if one day he gets sad enough he just cancels everything and runs for the hills.

That's probably the best explanation I can think of and comparison.

That and I'm sure some of those people are Oasis/Turbulet folks making posts to control the narrative. Astroturfing was something cig was spotted doing ages ago and I'm sure they haven't stopped doing it ever since then, only gotten better at it.

It's just a bunch of folks getting themselves manipulated by experts. It happens all the time to everybody. We're all totally falling for it every day of our lives, at least in America. We're all just huge targets for businesses to sap money from any way they can. :homebrew:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

nawledgelambo posted:

this is the most probable imo

with all of the delays and basically nothingburgers they've been delivering in their patches I'd honestly not doubt they'd do (another) engine swtich

I mean really this is like the most chris roberts thing to do

I don't know. I feel like that's a dangerous game. Not for the backers--they'll fund regardless--but I feel like this risks involved with potentially halting all progress for the months or years involved in switching engines could seriously put a damper on new money from fresh marks. It would probably also be devastating to whatever remains of internal morale.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

nawledgelambo posted:

also lol at the fact they did the lumberyard flip of a button 5-6(?) years ago to utilize CLOUD TECHNOLOGY and the servers are in even more of an abysmal state than they were then

This was done less to get cloud technology but more to get out of license agreements with CryTek.

Since both the version of CryEngine cig had and the historical engine versions lumberyard had, there really was little to do since lumberyard already had the same older version that star can was running.

While I've never personally done anything like that before because I've never tried to screw some company that was working with me like that, I'm sure there was a lot of work to point whatever files/dependencies to the lumberyard version of the same version of CryEngine they had, but once that was done it should have been a 1:1 switch, as it was the same version of CryEngine just a different host of that version.

And whatever dumb things they did that prevented them from getting newer versions of CryEngine from CryTek already existed still prevented them from getting whatever new version of lumberyard was out at the time.

I'm not sure if even today they're up to the newest version of lumberyard, but I'm pretty sure they are a couple major versions behind here CryEngine is today on its own.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong too. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Time_pants posted:

I don't know. I feel like that's a dangerous game. Not for the backers--they'll fund regardless--but I feel like this risks involved with potentially halting all progress for the months or years involved in switching engines could seriously put a damper on new money from fresh marks. It would probably also be devastating to whatever remains of internal morale.

It's not really dangerous.

Whatever you do to star citizen won't really slow or improve the money. If you made a huge sudden surprise release that is super awesome, it's not gong to do much better than it is now. If you want star citizen you probably already have it.

What is good though is the new game nobody has yet that you can sell to all those star citizen people plus an new audience.

You just need to discover that game. And given the "I am immortal and a AAA studio" vibe cig puts out these days, they believe they can find that perfect mix of gaming to become the next EA.

Once they find that billion dollar game, everything star citizen has brought in to date will be dwarfed. 10 years of making star citizen hasn't brought in what 1 year of a madden game does, and I doubt Fortnight either.

I'm pretty sure cig is tired of "slow money". The investors and other pros want faster money. That, ultimately, means other products.

They've got 700 people trying to find the next space Fortnight. Probably 10 of those are stuck working on star citizen.

All those other projects are under tight wraps. You'll not hear a peep about them until they are ready to show it off to see if it's the "killer product".

So far we know they did it at least twice, with different genres I think.

Star marine: aiming for halo

Theatres of war: aiming for Battlefield

What'll be next? Who knows. I'm still waiting for the one after fortnight. I don't think they can pull off sports, and they have tons of sci fi assets.

Could try to target some sort of RTS game next, but I'm not sure if rts brings in the big $$$. Whatever they'll hit will be something that is trying to clone somebody's already big billion dollar franchise by putting a junky sci fi spin on it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Oh and that next big game they make you can bet your cute rear end will be decked out to the core with micro transactions and macro transactions to buy whatever you possibly can. Probably though a slick in-game store system. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
My final post for a while:

I have no insider info. No cig contacts. Nobody is feeding me secret info. If I'm wrong, oh well. It's just me guessing via my vast ability to look at data and numbers and collate. :cheerdoge:

So if I'm wrong, whoopsy. Oh well. I'm just a dumb poster. :)

If I'm right... I just guessed your super secret business Strategy. Nobody leaked me anything. Carry on your big business and making $$$.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Titanic posted:

Oh and that next big game they make you can bet your cute rear end will be decked out to the core with micro transactions and macro transactions to buy whatever you possibly can. Probably though a slick in-game store system. :)

Genuinely, I am shocked that they have been completely mum on blockchain/NFT/cryptocurrency bullshit. I would have thought that grift would've been perfectly aligned with their players' personalities and interests.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

You could dig deeper and it's just indicative of how social norms can kill female individuality.

When I grew up, I was basically taught that I had to be cute, pretty, know how to use makeup, and effectively look like a barbi doll. Veering from that norm even slightly was tough. This caused me all kinds of trauma growing up since I liked computers and gaming too, which was not what girls were supposed to do.

Now I feel like there is the other side of that. All these guys also grew up with that understanding of what a perfect girl should be. While I feel like some of them like more weight and fluffiness today, you still can't veer away from very specific appearance norms.

Any of these deviations is not acceptable, and will stir up a pot of poo poo just because somebody dared to suggest that women may look different or be different or do things that don't involve being pretty and girly.

But that's probably not a conversation for star citizen and I'm pretty sure a lot of guys in that group fall into wanting women to be and act a very very specific way. :cheerdoge:

In the new post Covid age, I put on makeup maybe once a week and fix my hair nicely only a few times. I'm good with that lol. Most days it's "good enough".

*lovely At Being What Society Wants A Woman To Be brofist*

It's just double weird for me because I'm bi and I'm looking at Jesse and the arms lady like "drat, what babes," and these weird guys are falling down in disgust like an over dramatic soccer player. I'm looking at this one lady in this Assassin's Creed Origins DLC and losing my poo poo (in delight) because she's got a natural body type I haven't seen in a video game before and they're screaming that she's not shaped like a clone of everyone else. How sad it must be to only be able to appreciate how maybe three real women look, and only when they're photoshopped to hell.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 8, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Time_pants posted:

I knew that shitizens were going to immediately revert to the status quo despite the howling last week, but even I didn't expect them to so fully embrace the new narrative and so viciously defend it this quickly and totally. Oh my God.

It's bizarre as hell to watch in real time. Genuinely eerie.

But don't worry, server meshing and the content pipeline is SURELY just around the corner! Buy an Idris!

THAT WASN"T A REQUEST BUY A MOTHERFUCKING IDRIS YOU COCKROACH!!!!

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Midnight Voyager posted:

Honestly, I've remembered gross dudes flipping out about so many women in games they insisted were made uglier to cater to SJWs that I had a hard time thinking of the exact ones. People got furious about loving Jesse from Control for god's sake because of some jawline biotruths. People lost it when a lady in The Last Of Us 2 had big arms.

Tippis posted:

Doubly funny when you look at what the actress behind Jesse (Courtney Hope) looks like irl. Very unwomanly indeed…

She basically is Jesse

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

Time_pants posted:

I mean they did it when there were huge promises of 3.0 just around the corner with backer faith completely hinged on it and it stifled nothing as far as funding went. So anyways to your point, they could say they're doing a hard reboot and porting all assets and there would be apology posts on the reddits for not believing hard enough

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Popete posted:

Also this is just ridiculous.

"Too few people recognize that from 2012 through 2015 CIG said what they had to say i order to get things going and keep momemtum."

So you're fine with CIG lying about progress so they could staff up and try to figure out how to make the game actually happen? But now we are supposed to assume they are no longer lying about progress to maintain funding?

Reading that eassay just starts to make me angry.

It's ok for a company to lie to customers while making millions if they need to.

Customers asked for a this bigger product that is never comming out so it's the customers fault !

You only produce a road map when you need to lie, everything is fine now so they could take it down.

$500 million is the minimum amount you need to set up a games studio if you think about it.

I really hope he is being paid by CIG to write this because people this dumb are scary.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Time_pants posted:

Genuinely, I am shocked that they have been completely mum on blockchain/NFT/cryptocurrency bullshit. I would have thought that grift would've been perfectly aligned with their players' personalities and interests.

Same, but it also be a generational thing. Maybe they figure that their gen x / boomer customer base isn't interested in the poo poo that the young grifters are peddling

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Scruffpuff posted:

I think you hit on something here about why the backers are so vile and militant. Nothing in the world works the way they think it should. So this is their chance to create an entire universe where they are always on top, something real life denied them violently; permanent pre-purchased status, enforced by computer code. Hence the bizarre focus on slaves, ship serfdom, etc. - these people are like the starship captain from the Black Mirror episode - frustrated middle-aged men who were so sure life would hand everything to them, not because of their own abilities, but because of who they were, and are willing to settle for a virtual world on which to release their frustrations and what they think is righteous revenge.

Chris Roberts is the perfect avatar for them, a talentless hack who nevertheless has managed to lie his way to what he thinks is the top; a man who does nothing and is constantly financially rewarded for it.

And here we sit, trying to take away their hellish utopia. We think SOTA got ugly - those were just rank and file nerds. Some of these guys are gonna have a legitimate breakdown when this doesn't happen.

I haven't read that much about the serfdom thing but, uh, do they mean NPCs or real people, because if they think any actual players are going to volunteer to be their serfs they have another thing coming. If I wanted to be an unappreciated, abused, rights-less dogsbody for a big-dick fighter jock I could have joined the actual Air Force and at least gotten paid for signing myself into semi-slavery. :catstare:

Also I have long insisted that the best Wing Commander games were 1 and 2 (especially 2) precisely because Chris Roberts was only one of several people with creative input. WC2 was as much Warren Spector's game as Chris Roberts' and it's telling that WC3 spitefully undoes basically every good idea WC2 had.

The sad thing is that I have been desperate for a good space fighter shootmans since FreeSpace 2 and if they had just made Squadron 42 and foregone all the other poo poo I would have eaten it up even if it wasn't all that good. But clearly making a good pew pew space fighter game and putting it out there is literally the last thing on CIG's priority list.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 9, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yes, these people actually believe that once the game goes big that hordes of new players will be signing up to work in a spaceship's engine room or janitorial department while the space trillionaire yacht owners fly around delivering milk crates. There are a LOT of them that think that. Some throw in genital mutilation for good measure.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

NFTs are inevitable for Store Citizen. They are leaving so much money on the table here. People will buy anything, the crazier the price the better.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

DaysBefore posted:

Yes, these people actually believe that once the game goes big that hordes of new players will be signing up to work in a spaceship's engine room or janitorial department while the space trillionaire yacht owners fly around delivering milk crates. There are a LOT of them that think that. Some throw in genital mutilation for good measure.

:allbuttons:

When is the Star Citizen/FATAL crossover?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Midnight Voyager posted:

*lovely At Being What Society Wants A Woman To Be brofist*

It's just double weird for me because I'm bi and I'm looking at Jesse and the arms lady like "drat, what babes," and these weird guys are falling down in disgust like an over dramatic soccer player. I'm looking at this one lady in this Assassin's Creed Origins DLC and losing my poo poo (in delight) because she's got a natural body type I haven't seen in a video game before and they're screaming that she's not shaped like a clone of everyone else. How sad it must be to only be able to appreciate how maybe three real women look, and only when they're photoshopped to hell.

It's the reality and the agony.

Trying to fit a social norm, and also being on the other side of that expecting a social norm.

The people trying to fit into the social norm go through hell to do it.

The people who expect it take it so casually and lightly and with such flippant determination that it just makes the other half of that even more stressed.

I went through my emo stage and did all black and lots of long belt riddled dresses like a final fantasy ripoff, and it was fun. Complete with a spiked choker! Though where I'm at now; I stay squarely in the business casual realm. Sometimes I dye my hair some crazy color but otherwise I just try to fit into the hole properly.

Definitely not a star citizen conversation :lol:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

Reading that eassay just starts to make me angry.

It's ok for a company to lie to customers while making millions if they need to.

Customers asked for a this bigger product that is never comming out so it's the customers fault !

You only produce a road map when you need to lie, everything is fine now so they could take it down.

$500 million is the minimum amount you need to set up a games studio if you think about it.

I really hope he is being paid by CIG to write this because people this dumb are scary.

Don't get angry! Not even worth it slightly. :)

They are being taken front right and center by expert marketing techniques designed to target exactly what they want and give them what they need. They just need to spend money to be accepted by their peers. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DaysBefore posted:

There might be!

I mean if I could be in a crew and just win simply by existing... why not?

Like obviously I won't have anything or much to do, but if I gain just by existing it becomes more like Eve where I can just get better with time.

I think there could be a big interest in that.

Now on the flip side though I don't feel like they'll get their space crew of their dreams. Like it's not going to suddenly become firefly with somebody's scrappy crew. It'll be one person doing all the work with a ship full of people idling. Maybe somebody with ingenuity will set up a macro so they don't get booted, and maybe every so often somebody will say "hi!" On the crew channel or some such.

But if they do make something like that work, it'll just be people hoping to get on a big ship so the payouts are bigger while they idle, or whatever the math works out to be.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Citizens unable to get enough real peasants amidst the horses of afk bots

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 9, 2022

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I'm pretty sure cig is tired of "slow money". The investors and other pros want faster money. That, ultimately, means other products.

They've got 700 people trying to find the next space Fortnight. Probably 10 of those are stuck working on star citizen.

All those other projects are under tight wraps. You'll not hear a peep about them until they are ready to show it off to see if it's the "killer product".

I dunno. I don't have any more insider info than you do and am also a dumb poster, but if I had to guess at one bedrock principle of CIG's management, it's that Chris Roberts genuinely believes in auteur theory and also is convinced (despite all available evidence) that he is that auteur. I have a hard time imagining that any game can get made there without him in the mix. I like the thought that they're using backer money to pay the bills while they try to come up with a different game that would be genuinely successful, but I fear that if there are any other projects in development at CIG, Chris is either actively involved in them or the teams working on them are desperately trying to stay off his radar and constantly terrified that he's going to notice and get involved.

And if that's so, they're hosed. If they want to make a good game, they'd have to split off a section of the company that's run by competent, collaborative people who never, ever have to listen to Chris about anything. Sounds unlikely.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Chris isn't in charge anymore, the new investors don't care about the vision, they want Fortnite money.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

What if I told your big brain that it is actually awe inspiring to build a triple AAA studio from a handful of people to ~600 within 10 years - that NO OTHER AAA studio has done that, ever.

This argument is the one I find hardest to understand.

Is CIG some sort of jobs program? Is hiring people hard? Would a company with 20 devs be somehow better if they hired 10 people to sit in front of a computer all day and not touch it? How about if we fire 10 devs and hire 20 community managers?

At first this argument sounded like it was just a way to deflect or justify slow progress, but recently I feel like it's become an achievement in itself for some citizens...

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/eraOPnc.gifv

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Land claims.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Kosumo posted:

Land claims.

Sand worms.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The Titanic posted:

So far we know they did it at least twice, with different genres I think.

Star marine: aiming for halo

Theatres of war: aiming for Battlefield

You are forgetting the biggest one. The one that single handedly murdered their scope and killed any hope of an actual release:

Planetary surfaces: aiming for Elite Dangerous.

CR watching ED Horizons footage is imho the point of inflexion. That's when the scope crept hopelessly out of control. Before that, they just had to do landing zones for a space game. Suddenly, they had to do planetary generation, weather, a poo poo ton of art assets, and get that to play ball with their "engine". That's when the "100 systems" died.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

FishMcCool posted:

You are forgetting the biggest one. The one that single handedly murdered their scope and killed any hope of an actual release:

Planetary surfaces: aiming for Elite Dangerous.

CR watching ED Horizons footage is imho the point of inflexion. That's when the scope crept hopelessly out of control. Before that, they just had to do landing zones for a space game. Suddenly, they had to do planetary generation, weather, a poo poo ton of art assets, and get that to play ball with their "engine". That's when the "100 systems" died.

What's the timeline for E:D Horizons versus SC planetary landing.?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

jarlywarly posted:

What's the timeline for E:D Horizons versus SC planetary landing.?

Can't remember Horizons first teasers/showcases, when Braben first showed it during a livestream, but it released later in December 2015. SC had scripted animation planetary landings then, and immediately after Horizons released, CIG came up with: https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/star-citizen-shows-off-procedural-planetary-landing-in-a-seamless-new-video. Which on youtube is captioned with big warnings saying "not playable".

I really feel like had they stuck to the original "planets are just landing zones", they'd have S42 out by now.

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Woolie Wool posted:

The sad thing is that I have been desperate for a good space fighter shootmans since FreeSpace 2 and if they had just made Squadron 42 and foregone all the other poo poo I would have eaten it up even if it wasn't all that good. But clearly making a good pew pew space fighter game and putting it out there is literally the last thing on CIG's priority list.

Yeah so frustrating. All they had to do was make a interesting branching campaign, get a good range of ship customisation and scale, make everything feel weighty and sound real, they could even have kept their precious mess hall as the between-mission downtime space like the camp in RDR2 with tons of random + scripted interactions to get to know your squadron better and pick up side missions and perks. Boom there's your GOTY.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Sandweed posted:

Chris isn't in charge anymore, the new investors don't care about the vision, they want Fortnite money.

Maybe? I don't know how much of CIG belongs to investors, as opposed to being in the hands of the Roberts family and their assorted hangers-on; it wouldn't surprise me in the least if the investors' control was far more than CIG claims, but at the same time, I'd hope that it would be noticeable when the Crobear was effectively put on a leash. It's not even like I'd expect them to fire his rear end outright, because it'd make much more sense for them to want to keep him in the company so the whales don't panic. And amazingly, it seems like the whales are mostly fine with Chris going quiet, so long as Tony Z can whisper sweet dreams.txt into their ears at least once a year and the ship sales happen at regular intervals. It's absolutely possible that Chris could be demoted and CIG could keep that quiet, I guess, though I can't believe that info wouldn't have leaked within seconds of it happening.

But mostly, I just can't wrap my head around the idea that someone else was put in charge and there's no visible difference. If it's now just a small team left behind to keep the carcass of Star Citizen on life support, why does it look just like every other year in Star Citizen's troubled history?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Gravity_Storm posted:

NFTs are inevitable for Store Citizen. They are leaving so much money on the table here. People will buy anything, the crazier the price the better.

I don't think that they need them. Their consumerbase will eat up the ships for big money, without them needing to connect to a blockchain. Their income is much more stable, the value of purchased items does not fluctuate like crypto and they have total control over everything.

There is no need for Star Citizen to get into NFTs, because they have everything NFTs claim to provide but better. For all parties involved.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FishMcCool posted:

Can't remember Horizons first teasers/showcases, when Braben first showed it during a livestream, but it released later in December 2015. SC had scripted animation planetary landings then, and immediately after Horizons released, CIG came up with: https://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/star-citizen-shows-off-procedural-planetary-landing-in-a-seamless-new-video. Which on youtube is captioned with big warnings saying "not playable".

I really feel like had they stuck to the original "planets are just landing zones", they'd have S42 out by now.

This was also the era of “nya-hah! we got our 3.0 (or whatever) out before you did! therefore our game is better” no-upmanship. It was great fun to repeatedly watch them throw out whatever just to be able to pretend that what FDev actually released didn't stand a candle to CI¬G's drag-a-thing-in-the-editor screen capture shenanigans.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Tippis posted:

This was also the era of “nya-hah! we got our 3.0 (or whatever) out before you did! therefore our game is better” no-upmanship. It was great fun to repeatedly watch them throw out whatever just to be able to pretend that what FDev actually released didn't stand a candle to CI¬G's drag-a-thing-in-the-editor screen capture shenanigans.

Yeah, that was 2.0 (December 11, vs Horizons on December 15) and "We hit a version number before you!" has to be one of the weirdest flexes ever.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Basically star citizen donations are being used to make trial and error games internally to try to transform the company from a million dollar valuation to a billion dollar valuation.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Kikas posted:

I don't think that they need them. Their consumerbase will eat up the ships for big money, without them needing to connect to a blockchain. Their income is much more stable, the value of purchased items does not fluctuate like crypto and they have total control over everything.

There is no need for Star Citizen to get into NFTs, because they have everything NFTs claim to provide but better. For all parties involved.
Reasons for someone buying NFTs are also different from reasons someone buys space yacht. Cryptobros dream their NFT of a monkey JPG will be worth something and they will be able to resell it for profit.
SC whales don't want to resell their space yachts and JPG spaceships (unless they have some sudden epihany and then they want to get rid of it even at a fraction of price), they buy it so they can theorycraft about spacepoors cleaning their toilets and so they can show their status to other whales.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Reasons for someone buying NFTs are also different from reasons someone buys space yacht. Cryptobros dream their NFT of a monkey JPG will be worth something and they will be able to resell it for profit.
SC whales don't want to resell their space yachts and JPG spaceships (unless they have some sudden epihany and then they want to get rid of it even at a fraction of price), they buy it so they can theorycraft about spacepoors cleaning their toilets and so they can show their status to other whales.

Grey market tho. Same as NFT. No difference in the principle with Star Atlas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Trilobite posted:

I dunno. I don't have any more insider info than you do and am also a dumb poster, but if I had to guess at one bedrock principle of CIG's management, it's that Chris Roberts genuinely believes in auteur theory and also is convinced (despite all available evidence) that he is that auteur. I have a hard time imagining that any game can get made there without him in the mix. I like the thought that they're using backer money to pay the bills while they try to come up with a different game that would be genuinely successful, but I fear that if there are any other projects in development at CIG, Chris is either actively involved in them or the teams working on them are desperately trying to stay off his radar and constantly terrified that he's going to notice and get involved.

And if that's so, they're hosed. If they want to make a good game, they'd have to split off a section of the company that's run by competent, collaborative people who never, ever have to listen to Chris about anything. Sounds unlikely.

I'd say maybe, but from what I recall of theaters of war was that it was mostly gameplay. Albeit junk and jank, but it didn't have these huge story pieces and such. It used the SC assets but I don't recall it "feeling" like something Chris was directly involved in.

This kind of makes sense, and that leads me to believe that it's either the alternative project they're trying to shovel out to win the next big money, or it's just one of many.

Based on the number of people there, my gut says it's just one of many at this point with teams using the core team as an asset library.

That keeps CR happy because he loves the art side, and that's likely where his involvement remains. Saying this or that crate looks perfect or needs a blue pixel here or there. :)