Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

lmfao. The "fuk u lol" caught me offguard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

absolute lmao

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! February 24, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True February 25, 1919

Gay and Her Gang March 7, 1930

Oaky Doaks August 6, 1936

Mopsy October 14, 1937

Up Front December 17, 1944

Dark Laughter December 2, 1950

So It Seems April 19, 1952

Those Were the Days September 18, 1958

Wee Pals April 28, 1966

Dogbert December 6, 1966

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Giant Ethicist posted:

Night Visitors

Is this some kind of Phalaris gag? \

e. there wer emore posts in the thread I hadn't seen yet. Lovely nonsense.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
War manoeuvres? Between my breasts?

This storyline, what the gently caress.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass is on break.

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (May 8, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Sep 10-11, 1990)

No Blind Alley today.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (May 21-22, 1934)

Peanuts (February 10-11, 1975)

The Funky Winkerbean Dinner Theater presents "Oh, These Assholes Again." A play in one interminable act.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (September 8-9, 1938)

Out Our Way (March 17-19, 1938; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (Septermber 16-18, 1918)

Because reasons, we skip ahead to Little Lefty (January 20-22, 1936)

And we're a little late, so good night, folks...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I feel like Axa's boobs get noticeably larger in close-ups.

And not just because of perspective.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I feel like this Axa storyline is revealing a lot of things about Romero I didn't really want to know.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

catlord posted:

It's more common than you th...well no it's actually not common at all.

WHY ARE WE STILL TALKING ABOUT WILBUR

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

The way Ian and Mary just swapped spots here, how they both have the same vapid smiling expression on their faces, the blue void everyone is floating in... it's surreal. I wish I could believe this was intentional and Wilbur's dreaming this while lying on some island dying of thirst, but it's probably just newspaper comics art.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Huxley posted:

If there was any question of, "Does Family Circus just reuse the same jokes word for word?" my piano teacher wife says she has, "seen that one a bunch of times."

don't worry, boss, I got you:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Julet Esqu posted:

The way Ian and Mary just swapped spots here, how they both have the same vapid smiling expression on their faces, the blue void everyone is floating in... it's surreal. I wish I could believe this was intentional and Wilbur's dreaming this while lying on some island dying of thirst, but it's probably just newspaper comics art.

It's got that "original Evangelion ending" vibe to it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

catlord posted:

This storyline, what the gently caress.

Oh no, the microscopic men are climbing atop my hard, delicately shaded nipples! How embarrassing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's now time for everyone to see the new page of the latest John Allison story and notice the actual premise of this one, because I have been vibrating with anticipation for the last two days.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Getting all his angles in this week

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

the comics kingdom side of the script stopped working so i'll post those when i'm awake

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

I can only hear that as the scream in the second Death Note OP and I feel like that reference is not beneath Allison.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

davidspackage posted:

Oh no, the microscopic men are climbing atop my hard, delicately shaded nipples! How embarrassing.

perhaps taking a page from Gulliver's Travels

quote:

When dinner was almost done, the nurse came in with a child of a year old in her arms, who immediately spied me, and began a squall that you might have heard from London–Bridge to Chelsea, after the usual oratory of infants, to get me for a plaything. The mother, out of pure indulgence, took me up, and put me towards the child, who presently seized me by the middle, and got my head into his mouth, where I roared so loud that the urchin was frighted, and let me drop, and I should infallibly have broke my neck, if the mother had not held her apron under me. The nurse, to quiet her babe, made use of a rattle which was a kind of hollow vessel filled with great stones, and fastened by a cable to the child's waist: but all in vain; so that she was forced to apply the last remedy by giving it suck. I must confess no object ever disgusted me so much as the sight of her monstrous breast, which I cannot tell what to compare with, so as to give the curious reader an idea of its bulk, shape, and colour. It stood prominent six feet, and could not be less than sixteen in circumference. The nipple was about half the bigness of my head, and the hue both of that and the dug, so varied with spots, pimples, and freckles, that nothing could appear more nauseous: for I had a near sight of her, she sitting down, the more conveniently to give suck, and I standing on the table. This made me reflect upon the fair skins of our English ladies, who appear so beautiful to us, only because they are of our own size, and their defects not to be seen but through a magnifying glass; where we find by experiment that the smoothest and whitest skins look rough, and coarse, and ill–coloured.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Julet Esqu posted:

that was my thought too and now I'm scared to get excited.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (April 2, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (April 2, 2000)

Garfield Classic (April 2, 1990)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/8/02

Brenda Starr 2/19-21/48

Smokey Stover 2/3/46

Everyday Movies 10/29/34

"Now the stuff in this can shakes, so I know 'tis either canned peaches or buggy paint. But this one don't shake at all, so it must be squash or axle-grease. All the labels washed off in the big rain."

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Murdstone posted:

"Mark" bolded in the last panel... Now we turn to Mark Trail...

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 11, 1949)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Rand Brittain posted:

It's now time for everyone to see the new page of the latest John Allison story and notice the actual premise of this one, because I have been vibrating with anticipation for the last two days.

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days Foreshadowing perhaps?

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

That’s an exciting logo, isn’t it? I wonder what Wayne Enterprises might be. Who is Wayne? What is a Pennyworth?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

I don't actually understand the punchline at all here. Is he talking about a bra? What?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Kazinsal posted:

It's got that "original Evangelion ending" vibe to it.

Did a pretty slap-dash job, but somehow that just fits the dead-eyed, soulless art better.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The_Other posted:

John Allison Mystery Comic: Giant Days Foreshadowing perhaps?

Oh yes, excited to see where this goes.

Foreground extra in the first panel: Mirror-universe Thicc Shelley?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If Wilbur is dreaming, that means he dreamt loving up his return from the dead. Which is v in character.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wayne Encerprises

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Green Intern posted:

I don't actually understand the punchline at all here. Is he talking about a bra? What?

Yeah, it's the tagline for the wonderbra, which somehow found a niche as a general punchline in the 90s. There's a lot of boob double entendres in the preceding panel to set it up, which I thought was pretty clever.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Wayne Enτerprises

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

riderchop posted:

the comics kingdom side of the script stopped working so i'll post those when i'm awake

Yeah, I don't know if they changed something on the site or what. I'll try to find a free moment today to see if I can get the script going again.

In the meantime, Bizarro hasn't updated today but here's Family Circus.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Okay, here's a half-assed bandaid fix for the Comics Kingdom fetch/upload script. It seems something's wonky about CK's site certificate, and the command to get the raw html of the page (to parse it and find the address of the actual comic image) was failing out with a "cannot verify certificate" error. Putting in a "--no-check-certificate" flag gets it past that and then everything else works fine. (Note: We get away with this here because we don't actually care about strictly verifying CK's identity. Don't just bypass cert errors when doing something where security actually, you know, matters.)

Anyway, open your script in a text editor and put that flag into the wget command on the line that looks like this:
code:
	RAWOUTPUT=`wget -q -O - "https://www.comicskingdom.com/${COMICNAME}/${DATE}"`
So that now it looks like this:
code:
	RAWOUTPUT=`wget --no-check-certificate -q -O - "https://www.comicskingdom.com/${COMICNAME}/${DATE}"`
and you should be back in business.

And hey, the script found today's Bizarro, even though the human-usable website is still showing yesterday's. :buddy:

Bizarro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Actuary X posted:

"Mark" bolded in the last panel... Now we turn to Mark Trail...

Good stuff, I hope Jules can give us more than a single panel but given it's a ghost story, maybe that's all we'll get.