Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
well, I didn't want to but I watched The ManD'oh!Lorian, the latest lame Simpsons/Star Wars cashgrab on Disney+

It starts with a shot captioned "sajak pit", the pit from Return of the Jedi. Suddenly you hear a stomach gurgle and it spits out Homer aka "Boba Fat", and the pit, voiced by Pat Sajak from Wheel of Fortune says "I'm having a bad day. Must've been something I ate!". Boba Fat looks at the pit and replies "you shouldn't have eaten me, I'm too fatty. Get it?"

Then he ventures into town and of course finds Maggie as Baby Yoda, named Goo-Goo. Like a baby would be named. Goo-Goo has a pacifier/lightsaber thing that she pulls out of her mouth and can fight with. They venture off together and go on some incredibly stupid adventures, including:

-"Todd Racing"; Todd Flanders is Watto from Episode 1 and challenges Homer to a race. There's a "hot Rod" joke that is wildly uncomfortable and doesn't land well. Homer does a lot of the "loud whispering" stuff in this segment. Ned Flanders is a droid named, I am not kidding you, "BB-Ned". It's the ball thing with Ned's head on top rolling around.
-They meet up with "Bart Solo" flying the "Melisa-um Falcon", the Falcon looks the same in the movies except its back part is spiky like Lisa's hair and it speaks in her voice
-And ultimately they fight Marge Vader which looks like Darth Vader but with the helmet shaped like Marge's hair. Her lightsaber is a curling iron but they make a vibrator joke.

At the end Comic Book Guy shows up and complains how Boba Fett isn't actually The Mandalorian from the show and how this whole thing has been disrespectful to canon. Goo-Goo cuts him in half with a lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
It's so good of Disney to permit the simpsons to make these epic jokes about star wars! And other pop culture!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Riptor posted:

well, I didn't want to but I watched The ManD'oh!Lorian, the latest lame Simpsons/Star Wars cashgrab on Disney+

It starts with a shot captioned "sajak pit", the pit from Return of the Jedi. Suddenly you hear a stomach gurgle and it spits out Homer aka "Boba Fat", and the pit, voiced by Pat Sajak from Wheel of Fortune says "I'm having a bad day. Must've been something I ate!". Boba Fat looks at the pit and replies "you shouldn't have eaten me, I'm too fatty. Get it?"

Then he ventures into town and of course finds Maggie as Baby Yoda, named Goo-Goo. Like a baby would be named. Goo-Goo has a pacifier/lightsaber thing that she pulls out of her mouth and can fight with. They venture off together and go on some incredibly stupid adventures, including:

-"Todd Racing"; Todd Flanders is Watto from Episode 1 and challenges Homer to a race. There's a "hot Rod" joke that is wildly uncomfortable and doesn't land well. Homer does a lot of the "loud whispering" stuff in this segment. Ned Flanders is a droid named, I am not kidding you, "BB-Ned". It's the ball thing with Ned's head on top rolling around.
-They meet up with "Bart Solo" flying the "Melisa-um Falcon", the Falcon looks the same in the movies except its back part is spiky like Lisa's hair and it speaks in her voice
-And ultimately they fight Marge Vader which looks like Darth Vader but with the helmet shaped like Marge's hair. Her lightsaber is a curling iron but they make a vibrator joke.

At the end Comic Book Guy shows up and complains how Boba Fett isn't actually The Mandalorian from the show and how this whole thing has been disrespectful to canon. Goo-Goo cuts him in half with a lightsaber.

this is good actually

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Riptor posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Riptor posted:

:D

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That's so much more dreamlike and bizarre than any of the dream plots people have posted.

The laziness is incredible - "what rhymeses with podracing? Uhhhh Todd racing, yeah that'll do" :krust:

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Failed Imagineer posted:

That's so much more dreamlike and bizarre than any of the dream plots people have posted.

The laziness is incredible - "what times with podracing? Uhhhh Todd racing, yeah that'll do" :krust:

About to post "marge vader" but I reread the synopsis and they actually did that :lol:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Imagine being shown up by the Family Guy Star Wars special. Imagine being more cringe than the Robot Chicken one.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Riptor posted:

-"Todd Racing"; Todd Flanders is Watto from Episode 1 and challenges Homer to a race. There's a "hot Rod" joke that is wildly uncomfortable and doesn't land well.

I am VERY curious about the specifics of this joke. Was it a pedo joke or something?

quote:

"Melisa-um Falcon"? :psyduck: Did they even try??

quote:

This seems funny. I'm sure the execution sucked somehow, but I at least smiled at this concept.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am VERY curious about the specifics of this joke. Was it a pedo joke or something?

Probably some attempt at a Leia/Luke being siblings and love interests at the same time thing.

YeahTubaMike posted:

"Melisa-um Falcon"? :psyduck: Did they even try??

No

YeahTubaMike posted:

This seems funny. I'm sure the execution sucked somehow, but I at least smiled at this concept.

I'll give credit to whoever came up with it; I agree that they do seem pretty clever

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am a Simpsons writer, forever hammering my square jokes into your round humor hole.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Riptor posted:

I'll give credit to whoever came up with it; I agree that they do seem pretty clever

:colbert:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

It’s odd how early comic book guy is so good, with the answer being fries and providing updates on the Hi & Lois convention. Probably because he was meant to be a specific archetype of who would own a comic store and was not omnipresent at every town event with his backstory exhaustively explained.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Modern CBG is both a mouthpiece for the writers to talk about whatever mainstream nerd poo poo they like and also has to fill the place of Apu.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It’s odd how early comic book guy is so good, with the answer being fries and providing updates on the Hi & Lois convention. Probably because he was meant to be a specific archetype of who would own a comic store and was not omnipresent at every town event with his backstory exhaustively explained.

Mantis42 posted:

Modern CBG is both a mouthpiece for the writers to talk about whatever mainstream nerd poo poo they like and also has to fill the place of Apu.

Wasn't early comic book guy also a mouthpiece too, just one for the writers to yell about like, usenet simpsons fans hating on the show? :v:

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He was there to represent the worst aspects of fandom so yeah, that would track. He certainly seems quaint in comparison to the poo poo we see in this day and age.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
As much as I love the poochie episode I feel like I can see the decline happening in real time when they set up bart and comic book guy to have the proxy argument of "the show is free to watch (with ads, on the most coveted time slot, on a network that will actively try to bring about the collapse of modern society, ps buy our merchandise) so who are you to complain"

They may have had a point given that it was during season 8 before things had even started declining, but that seemed like a sudden jump from "CBG is an unpleasable whiner" to "you should accept whatever we fart out as gold" and given what the next 20+ years look like it's embarrassing

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

pretty soft girl posted:

As much as I love the poochie episode I feel like I can see the decline happening in real time when they set up bart and comic book guy to have the proxy argument of "the show is free to watch (with ads, on the most coveted time slot, on a network that will actively try to bring about the collapse of modern society, ps buy our merchandise) so who are you to complain"

They may have had a point given that it was during season 8 before things had even started declining, but that seemed like a sudden jump from "CBG is an unpleasable whiner" to "you should accept whatever we fart out as gold" and given what the next 20+ years look like it's embarrassing

The whole Poochie episode does kinda have a running gag of both the creators and the critics having a point. The fanbase has toxic and annoying elements, and people who focus on poo poo that doesn't matter while missing the entire point of the premise, but they're entirely on point with criticism of the Poochie episode, and the show's management and writers responding so badly to waning interest, criticism and suggestions in the most misguided and minimal-effort way is exactly the kind of poo poo that validates fan complaints. Homer's defensive of Poochie because he's invested in the role, but he's also the only person who is actually trying to put in effort and come up with ways to make Poochie work. (and given how bad the original concept ended up, a time-travelling irate loudmouth would at worst be a lateral move)

Also, while 'fireworks factory' has probably been used as a phrase since the episode aired describing shows that never get around to paying off what they set up, it does feel like writers setting up plot points only to apparently completely forget them to focus on gimmicks and ratings-grabs has become a particularly bad problem with serialised shows in the last couple decades.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I think the Poochie episode was more of an overreaction to what was, at the time, a VERY, very small online populace on Usenet or whatever that had been bitching about the show since like season 4, at a time when they were still genuinely trying their best. It wasn't until a few years later, with a new showrunner and lots of change in staff and approach to the show, that they began to call back to it and continue to use Comic Book Guy as a stand-in for any nerd who criticizes entertainment along with their smug attitude of essentially plugging their ears and insisting the show is fine.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Poochie is about The Great Gazoo and Scrappy-Doo

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

dinner dawg

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I think the Poochie episode was more of an overreaction to what was, at the time, a VERY, very small online populace on Usenet or whatever that had been bitching about the show since like season 4, at a time when they were still genuinely trying their best. It wasn't until a few years later, with a new showrunner and lots of change in staff and approach to the show, that they began to call back to it and continue to use Comic Book Guy as a stand-in for any nerd who criticizes entertainment along with their smug attitude of essentially plugging their ears and insisting the show is fine.

Yo! Yo! How’s it hangin’ everybody? :c00lbert:

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

I always really liked how Itchy and Scratchy are voiced by Tress MacNeille who is playing herself more or less. She voices so many characters on the show since the beginning. I wonder why she's always at the rear end end of the voice actor credits.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
she was never part of the official/original/core cast, right? I imagine it's probably that.

one of the throwaway jokes during the Bad Years was Homer going through... a factory line? something automated and dangerous, and TM does her automated announcer voice and Homer says something like "hmm, that sounds like Tress MacNeille!"

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

You Are A Elf posted:

Yo! Yo! How’s it hangin’ everybody? :c00lbert:

Oh hey Roy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Poochie is about The Great Gazoo and Scrappy-Doo

And about 90s mascots in general. Like, it's hard to explain if you didn't live through that how omnipresent it was to have ludicrously cringeworthy 'cool' characters obviously thrown together by marketing, and similarly writers also clearly had no idea what to do with them. Combine that with the whole 'throw in a new character to mix it up and appeal to the kiddies' thing.

At least it wasn't a baby. Freaking Rugrats got a baby added, and that already stars babies!

They had fun poking at fans but kinda the whole point is also skewering writers and executives, especially given the B-plot with Roy apparently being based on the suits wanting a new character to move in with the Simpsons to 'spice up' the show.

Though does come to mind that young adults and single people are underrepresented in the Simpsons cast, I feel like Futurama was made partly the way it was because they could explore different stories and themes with the character cast.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 9, 2022

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jesus, they even added a cute kid character to Married... With Children, the absolute maniacs.

Poochie is less of a Scrappy and more in line with all the forgettable 90's 'tude characters, like Kid Vid or Sonic the Hedgehog.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yeah that’s a good point, the golden era would sometimes have an excessive inside baseball plot that would be of little interest to non-tv writers, but the A team staff was still there so they could make it work. Like a master chef given a recipe but a few ingredients are missing or subpar, it’s still gonna be good.

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Poochie is less of a Scrappy and more in line with all the forgettable 90's 'tude characters, like Kid Vid or Sonic the Hedgehog.

I remember every cereal and snack mascot being given the 'cool' treatment too. They were all into extreme sports. Also they all wore knee and elbow pads so as not to be too rebellious.

Dizzy Grizzlies, Chester Cheetah, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never gonna forget when McDonald's tried to get in on the action by having all their mascots zooming around in skate parks in the ads, and in the stores Ronald McDonald was nowhere to be seen except as a tiny icon on the drink cups leaping around and dunking his trash into a proper waste recycling receptacle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

Never gonna forget when McDonald's tried to get in on the action by having all their mascots zooming around in skate parks in the ads, and in the stores Ronald McDonald was nowhere to be seen except as a tiny icon on the drink cups leaping around and dunking his trash into a proper waste recycling receptacle

They do that now still, just with big gross Minion kiddy meal boxes that are all massive open grinning mouths and tongues hanging out with staring bug eyes.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

now I remember Cool Spot. The red dot from the 7-up logo was given sunglasses and its own line of videogames.

Game was quite good iirc

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bitterandtwisted posted:

now I remember Cool Spot. The red dot from the 7-up logo was given sunglasses and its own line of videogames.

Game was quite good iirc

Game was ok, felt like a reskinned version of the Aladdin or Lion King game, seems like there was a bunch of IPs skinned onto a generic platformer which required extremely frustrating jump-timing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Failed Imagineer posted:

Game was ok, felt like a reskinned version of the Aladdin or Lion King game, seems like there was a bunch of IPs skinned onto a generic platformer which required extremely frustrating jump-timing

And as kids we could absolutely tell what was going on, that's what was hilarious. "Oh right, I must beat this generic platformer level which I recognize from all the 7-Up mythology that means so much to me, the unique skills I learn in this game will help me drink more 7-Up lol"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though does come to mind that young adults and single people are underrepresented in the Simpsons cast, I feel like Futurama was made partly the way it was because they could explore different stories and themes with the character cast.

I think they wanted to do a Young Homer show at one point and modeled Fry after him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I think they wanted to do a Young Homer show at one point and modeled Fry after him.

That would explain a lot, though to be fair a spacey, oblivious, happy-go-lucky protagonist isn't exactly unusual.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Detective No. 27 posted:

They both have the same generic middle initial J as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah, Fox basically wanted them to basically make The Simpsons 2, because it would be cheap and they could recycle stuff from The Simpsons 1. THey wanted to do something else and pitched Futurama, which Fox hated because it wasn't The Simpsons 2.

Why do you think Fox screwed Futurama over at every chance they could? I have strong memories of Futurama appearing on the schedule right until it was time and "A BONUS EPISODE OF THE SIMPSONS!" appeared.