Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

It's cool to see folks from all over the world introducing themselves over on the University of Michigan teachout thing but lolllll Lauren wyd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

Who’s talking about traveling to the outer reaches of the universe? Alpha Centari in 44 years at our current level of understanding is literally the point I’m trying to make. These very conservative amounts of travel are likely trivial to anyone or anything else that came even slightly before us.

You’re making broad human-centric assumptions about the limits of technology and the development of civilizations. One of the primary problems in UFOlogy is that it’s impossible for us to ascertain where we are in terms of development as a species in even galactic terms. Given what little we understand and how new that understanding is, the presumption that we can ascribe motivation or method to another species is laughable.

People think the idea of Von Neumann probes or even the Kardashev Scale represent some sort of natural, inevitable progression of technology. These are great, forward-thinking ideas relative to stuff like geocentrism but we need a lot more humility.

We need to hold onto the question of it all, because we’re likely not even close to the answer. Think bigger. There are almost assuredly hard, biological limits to our thinking that prevent us from grasping what extraterrestrials are capable of.

What? You've completely misread my posts.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Maybe I did. I’m out with the flu.

This is awesome and just another reason insects rule the world.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

travelling billions of kilometres through the galaxy and needing a piss stop. earth is their urinal

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

toggle posted:

travelling billions of kilometres through the galaxy and needing a piss stop. earth is their urinal

murphys laws apply all across the multiverse

all the millions of light years here without a hitch then a stupid problem presents

actually there was a theory that so many birds, despite their prowess, struggle with the way Earths inner atmosphere magnetic field changes all the time. a problem largely invisible to all but a couple instruments on our aircraft but if your whole engine setup relies on a stable magnetic field as a base....then trawling around in low Earth atmosphere is gonna gently caress you up

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

maybe the birds are so far along they only know nature as a history lesson. all their poo poo maybe terraformed as gently caress and has been for as long as anyone can recall and poo poo like inconvenient buried chunks of metal throwing off flight is just a thing that doesnt happen anymore

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I see stuff like that as a real possibility. They may very well be operating on a level that is unknowable to us, and along with that might succumb to forces around us we can’t possibly see or interact with. In fact it’s quite likely.

That’s the kind of thing we need to keep in mind at all times when we talk about birds. There is almost assuredly an unknowable aspect to the phenomenon. People don’t want to hear that; they want it to fit into some form of reality we can comprehend. Nothing about it points to us being able to.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bilirubin posted:

Related to the current speculative discussion, am now into Death's End and holy poo poo is it ever good

I'm about done with the first one. The writing is kind of hard to enjoy because it's so dull (yes I attribute this 100% to it being a translation) but the plot and ideas are a lot of fun so I am liking it and will keep going. Kinda feels like something crazy is going to happen in the last 50 pages or so I have left, will probably finish today and move on to the next one.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

earth having abnormally powerful and dangerous field activity that takes out birds constantly is hilarious to me because it's more evidence in the "this loving place is a trap" pile

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sleekly posted:

same for spaceships, its been discussed here a few times

if this was the case then i would guess the birds that drop things are dropping busted parts of themselves, like a lizard dropping its tail, also they are slagging them as they exit the craft so no monkees ever assemble enough cast offs to learn or do anything with

I do very much enjoy the idea that what we think are crashes are actually just the molted exoskeletons
hence why we see biological material/interfaces and can't figure out a drat thing about them

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Woah

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

D-Pad posted:

That's not true at all. The galaxy is 100,000 light years across. You could make it to nearby stars in a human lifespan but not much further. Especially because you could only accelerate for half the distance and have to decelerate the second half so it wouldn't even be as fast as light even if you could go that fast. Also energy requirements approach infinite as you get closer to the speed of light and even a very advanced civ is going to hit a technological limit before they get really close.

At the speed the tic tac supposedly went when it shot off to the cap point 30 miles or whatever it was away it would take you 44 years to get to Alpha Centauri and that's only like 4 light years away (although these hypothetical aliens that can get closer to light speed would be faster than that but just as an idea of how incredibly far the distances are.

I think the guy you were replying to was referring to time dilation from approaching c.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Vernii posted:

I think the guy you were replying to was referring to time dilation from approaching c.

There was some confusion in the back and forth between us as it seems we were talking about two different scales, me the galactic scale and him the local (alpha Centauri) scale.

But to answer your point. Even approaching very close to C the galaxy is so vast that it's going to take you a very long time subjectively to travel it.

If you went 299,000 km/s, just under the speed of light, to Alpha Centauri it would take you about 106 days subjectively. So that is 106 days for a ~4ly distance. The galaxy is 100k ly across. And that would be a straight shot from edge to edge not exploring system by system.

But that's not all. You couldn't actually keep that speed the entire way. You'd have to accelerate to that speed over some amount of time and then switch to decelerating for the 2nd half of the journey. I can't do the calculation on that because it would depend on how hard you can accelerate/decelerate but it would be a lot more than 106 days subjective time, although still less than 4 years we would see it take from Earth.

So my original point about von Neumann machines stands. Yes, if you could make yourself immortal it's just an engineering problem to travel the galaxy yourself, but it's still going to take you an incredibly long amount of subjective time to explore the milky way even getting close to C. As others pointed out we can't know how an alien intelligence might think about undertaking such a long endeavor and as I pointed out maybe they could do something like live in a computer generated reality to pass the time before inhabiting a biological android, but it is not a short amount of time even getting close to C. Not to mention getting that close to C is going to take such a large amount of energy it's hard to imagine even a very advanced civ being able to do so.

Edit: to add a bit more. The response to my post was if you could go close to C you could make it in a human lifetime (although based on his reply he was talking about Alpha Centauri which is absolutely true) but for the sake of the galactic scale discussion (which is what I was referring to when discussing von Neumann machines exploring the galaxy) I did a quick calculation.

The UAPs seem to be able to accelerate and decelerate almost instantaneously. So assuming you could get to just under C almost instantly and stop just as fast we somewhere north of 7,260 years subjective time to cross the galaxy from edge to edge in one shot with no stops to explore.

Of course if they have conquered inertia and gravity there is a decent chance they've figured a way around C and this discussion is moot.

D-Pad has issued a correction as of 16:05 on Feb 9, 2022

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

one of my favorite dreams that isn't some stupid poo poo was about slowboating as a functionally immortal person

we (the people/culture i was a part of) actually had faster-than-light solutions, wormhole poo poo, but it required slowboating to any secondary point you wanted to have in the web

so there i was, functionally immortal, with five other people, and we were at the point where we were in between galaxies, because that's what we were up to, is making the first gate to another galaxy.

and just a huge amount of time passed, the ship was a piece of poo poo and constantly broke, and it wasn't a danger to me and us the same way radiation is a danger to people irl, but exposing oneself to a star unshielded, or radioactivity generally, really loving hurts!!!! just the worst kind of burning.

Anyway just a really, really long time passed. Like i wanna spend a bunch of sentences to drag this out, because that's what it was like. Day in and day out with the same five people to keep me company, and they were pretty alright dudes! it was just... still one get's stir crazy.

Anyway i woke up way before we got to our destination

cool dream.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Bilirubin posted:

Related to the current speculative discussion, am now into Death's End and holy poo poo is it ever good

buckle up buddy

yea ants are fuckin wild

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

my bony fealty posted:

I'm about done with the first one. The writing is kind of hard to enjoy because it's so dull (yes I attribute this 100% to it being a translation) but the plot and ideas are a lot of fun so I am liking it and will keep going. Kinda feels like something crazy is going to happen in the last 50 pages or so I have left, will probably finish today and move on to the next one.

First half of the second is a bit of a slow burn, but the last half is nutso, and the third book appears to be more of that

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/blackvaultcom/status/1491420626506366976?t=rnKxu6UV3n9R6MDrdkTs0Q&s=19

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

the government hasn't spent the last 80 years propagandizing you that plane crashes don't exist

I guess what I'm trying to ask is where is the next tictac video? If recent history is any indication, it's already out there. I thought I saw something claiming to be from the 2019 incident with the Navy Destroyers off the California coast, but I can't find it now. Maybe the video teased above will have it?

In short:

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Failson posted:

I guess what I'm trying to ask is where is the next tictac video? If recent history is any indication, it's already out there. I thought I saw something claiming to be from the 2019 incident with the Navy Destroyers off the California coast, but I can't find it now. Maybe the video teased above will have it?

In short:

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

Yeah that video is what they are referencing. It's floating around and easy to find and I am pretty sure I remember within the last week the pentagon confirmed it is the video from that incident.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Failson posted:

In short:

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

BIRD VIDS

If a UAP descends in the forest, and an idiot squaddie isn't there to record a lovely clip and leak it on Reddit, did the UAP still happen?

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

The Protagonist posted:

You're thinking with an outmoded notion of what constitutes or could constitute fully synthetic life.

imho
Even so, what I'm thinking about is less about the reality of what they (however many theys there might be) are as it is about what experiencers perceive. Intelligent machines have been a sci-fi staple for some time. If the phenomenon of visitation/abduction is to some extent responsive to, or even accommodating of human perception within a cultural frame of reference, why does it seem like things experiencers would understand as intelligent machine constructs are absent? Or even machines in general - has anyone ever reported being taken on a bird and having their gametes harvested by a robot arm or something?

Slavvy posted:

One theme you tend to see a lot with this stuff is that mechanical technology and especially electronics are a technological blind alley. AI and robots are an incredibly lovely, incredibly inefficient attempt to get around our particular blindspot/handicap/circumstances, everyone else uses biologically engineered hardware instead. Eg it makes no sense to burn finite resources and fill your house with smoke to move stuff around with a machine like a truck, if you can design and build an incredibly large and strong animal instead. It takes a lot of computing power to do simple stuff your meat can manage without even thinking.

The real secret of galactic ascension or whatever you want to call it, if there is one, is buried in our genes and our past, not in a physics lab or investment portfolio.
I agree that this is the way to go, especially over the long term. I harp on about "sun doom" but the sun could just sneeze at anytime and wipe out decades of development, if not more. Our current system is as fragile as it is wasteful.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine how foreign our world would look to people that have never gone down the burn-stuff-and-bash-rocks-together track.

Your entire concept of technology and progress is grounded in manipulating genetic code to grow hardware, leveraging biochemical processes for manufacturing, storing and processing information with brain meat. This might well seem self-evidently logical when you look at the state of the universe - rocks and metals are relatively simple and dead and totally enslaved to entropy; as chemistry becomes more complex, biological processes emerge that can push back on entropy. Taking advantage of and refining these forces further is a natural progression, using the resulting tools to edit your own biology is a natural end-point of mastering them.

Then your friends invite you on a trip to planet monkey toilet. You have to see it for yourself because it's so difficult to believe - monkeys that are so clever, yet so stupid, they've figured out how to make rocks zoom and fly and explode and light up. They're running around half blind, half retarded, riddled with inbreeding and cancers and poisons, thinking harnessing a small moon's worth of energy and resources to make some really complicated rocks light up is an incredible achievement. Every piece of 'technology' they have is like a child's crayon drawing of the real thing, made of clunky flaky rocks instead of solid, dependable, self sustaining meat. Just imagine how broken everything must be all the time, how much effort must have to be spent constantly just to stop all those complicated piles of minerals falling apart on their own, and all of this is powered by burning stuff, because the idiots think massively increasing entropy to make rocks light up is 'more efficient' than the biological processes that make their existence possible in the first place. Planet monkey toilet may well be unique, or at least highly unusual, on a galactic scale.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp3_a-PMTw

i thought i was a fool for no one
but lue baby im a fool for youuuu

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMM1X8aXlCs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Muse discog is basically ez mode for sountracking this thread or the epstein thread

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Imagine how foreign our world would look to people that have never gone down the burn-stuff-and-bash-rocks-together track.

Your entire concept of technology and progress is grounded in manipulating genetic code to grow hardware, leveraging biochemical processes for manufacturing, storing and processing information with brain meat. This might well seem self-evidently logical when you look at the state of the universe - rocks and metals are relatively simple and dead and totally enslaved to entropy; as chemistry becomes more complex, biological processes emerge that can push back on entropy. Taking advantage of and refining these forces further is a natural progression, using the resulting tools to edit your own biology is a natural end-point of mastering them.

Then your friends invite you on a trip to planet monkey toilet. You have to see it for yourself because it's so difficult to believe - monkeys that are so clever, yet so stupid, they've figured out how to make rocks zoom and fly and explode and light up. They're running around half blind, half retarded, riddled with inbreeding and cancers and poisons, thinking harnessing a small moon's worth of energy and resources to make some really complicated rocks light up is an incredible achievement. Every piece of 'technology' they have is like a child's crayon drawing of the real thing, made of clunky flaky rocks instead of solid, dependable, self sustaining meat. Just imagine how broken everything must be all the time, how much effort must have to be spent constantly just to stop all those complicated piles of minerals falling apart on their own, and all of this is powered by burning stuff, because the idiots think massively increasing entropy to make rocks light up is 'more efficient' than the biological processes that make their existence possible in the first place. Planet monkey toilet may well be unique, or at least highly unusual, on a galactic scale.

lol
:hai:

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Rah! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsp3_a-PMTw

i thought i was a fool for no one
but lue baby im a fool for youuuu

For the longest time I thought the lyric was "spaceships burning in the dead of night" and I was so disappointed when I looked it up.

Also ETI deserves its place in thread soundtrack canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_wTwuHPzU

Log082 has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Feb 9, 2022

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Slavvy posted:

hell yeah meat supremacy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A quick addendum: a common utopian scifi trope is machinery that can adapt, self repair and self maintain via nanotech or other buzzword magicks. Literally just trying to do what biology does easily every day and we can't even imagine how to do it with minerals without restoring to a fantasy scenario. It's like thinking the future is a bunch of microscopic steam engines running around in your blood stream.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
ive been to planet monkey toilet and man

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

earth scientists: these meta-materials are mysterious and amazing
birds: omg lol they’re playing with our poop

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83rogPiGVQU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Riot Bimbo posted:

Muse discog is basically ez mode for sountracking this thread or the epstein thread

:hai:

Log082 posted:

For the longest time I thought the lyric was "spaceships burning in the dead of night" and I was so disappointed when I looked it up.

Also ETI deserves its place in thread soundtrack canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1_wTwuHPzU

lol spooky, though the real lyrics are spookier :rip:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Riot Bimbo posted:

its true, please enjoy this video of your average UFO thread enjoyer getting to the bottom of all this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8f5RgwY8CI

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

blatman posted:

its true, please enjoy this video of your average UFO thread enjoyer getting to the bottom of all this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8f5RgwY8CI

*pectoral muscles vibrate so fast u teleport to a parallel universe*

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

no

Riot Bimbo has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Mar 4, 2022

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

earth scientists: these meta-materials are mysterious and amazing
birds: omg lol they’re playing with our poop

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Riot Bimbo posted:

in all seriousness all other jokes aside, i try to work out pretty often?

i mean i fall way short of my goals, but i've actually been staying up on being fit and poo poo, way more than i used to back in my virginal cave-dweller days.

I say this because whether what's coming has completely rational and grounded explanations, or is wacky interdimensional alien-demons fighting a war with alien-angels with us in the crossfire, being fit as fit as possible is gonna be a good investment because absolutely nothing will be getting better and being able to run a mile or traverse wilderness might be worthy skills.

don't do prepper poo poo just take care of your body unless you're disabled, which is valid and i fault nobody who can't, imo.

also ngl i need a dopamine source after years of getting it from drug-seeking and dependencies, and working out feels the best. nothing like biking 15 miles and feeling like my legs are goo.

this is the correct approach for anyone taking any cspam thread seriously in this past few years, be it aliens and demons or cops and chuds you'd all best be fighting fit

just dont do what i did a couple months ago, did you know you can get stress fractures in your arms if you skip rest days and constantly increase your workout? because I didn't but now I do and holy poo poo did it suck

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

blatman posted:

this is the correct approach for anyone taking any cspam thread seriously in this past few years, be it aliens and demons or cops and chuds you'd all best be fighting fit

just dont do what i did a couple months ago, did you know you can get stress fractures in your arms if you skip rest days and constantly increase your workout? because I didn't but now I do and holy poo poo did it suck

I’ll do it when it’s safe because I also follow the cspam COVID thread and don’t feel safe in gyms right now

sorry about your arms, that really sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

blatman posted:

oof! that's loving rough.

I go real easy; mostly just trying to raise stamina/endurance and slim myself down, so I don't gotta worry as much, but my partner is doing strength training and it's cool lol she can pick me up and throw me but dang i worry about poo poo like this lol, last thing i wanna deal with is a major injury bc of over-exertion