Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really need to get rid of the chair on the other side of my desk. Would cut down on visitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

The report I wrote years ago likely needs a refactor. A 6 MB email is hell.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Internal meeting invite.

Subject: Let’s meet!

Body: you have been invited to a chime meeting. Details blah blah

I declined that meeting (and all others like it) and edited the response:

“If you cannot be bothered to write a meeting brief in your invite, complete with an intent, agenda, and desired outcomes then clearly it isn’t important enough for me to attend.”

gently caress lazy meeting organizers.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: I got promoted reclassified upward as a senior, with a 23% raise. :toot:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:nice:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sweet! Congrats!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sirotan posted:

poo poo that doesn't piss me off: I got promoted reclassified upward as a senior, with a 23% raise. :toot:

Congratulations!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maybe I have found my pod. Great boss, no on-call, an actual genuine emphasis on work-life balance. Even managed to become almost 100% remote, they are still finalizing the WFH policy but I really just need to show up for like half a day once a month at the moment, and maybe soon not even that much.

ngl didn't expect this from a university gig

Edit: btw my team is currently hiring a senior Windows sysadmin so if you want to relocate to SE Michigan and get in on that pod lyf, PM me

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
tfw your brain runs out of critical thinking juice for the day

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

klosterdev posted:

tfw your brain runs out of critical thinking juice for the day month

Those are the days I really value working from home, so I can just stare at the ceiling until whenever.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I had my yearly review last week and my boss tried shaming me for occasionally stepping away from the computer during WFH to answer the door, pick up my kids from school, leave early for a doctor's appointment etc. (last december was pretty hectic with my youngest catching Covid at school) and I absolutely wouldn't have any of it. These are unexpected events and if they were structural, I'd announce them earlier. Hell, I *did* announce most of these at the start of the day. Just not at the start of the week. :rolleyes:

Didn't apologize, review went well & got the standard 7% raise.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
All those cheap rear end content mirrors of things like Github and Stack Exchange polluting search results piss me the gently caress off.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I had my yearly review last week and my boss tried shaming me for occasionally stepping away from the computer during WFH to answer the door, pick up my kids from school, leave early for a doctor's appointment etc. (last december was pretty hectic with my youngest catching Covid at school) and I absolutely wouldn't have any of it. These are unexpected events and if they were structural, I'd announce them earlier. Hell, I *did* announce most of these at the start of the day. Just not at the start of the week. :rolleyes:

You didn't get a raise. You got a COL adjustment. You broke even.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Yeah gently caress that guy. When I do my project hours forecasting, I assume that 80% of all "work" time is at all productive, because life happens. End results matter. So long as the work gets done, I don't need to micromanage anyone's time, that's bullshit.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You didn't get a raise. You got a COL adjustment. You broke even.

lol my company is allotting 3.8%. I've given up asking how the hell we're going to retain talent and just started trying to make it up to my team in other ways.
Fuckin private equity.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Applied for a TAM position because the job description made it seem interesting. Recruiter comes back with an email "Well actually, disregard what we posted, have a look at this instead". It ended up being a glorified service desk job in a completely different country then the one I applied to.

At least I have 5 other interviews scheduled so maybe something pans out.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 10, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

It ended up being a glorified service desk job in a completely different country then the one I applied to.

Remote work is popular these days

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Pissing me off today... dumb/panicky users.

A piece of software we use has been making all of their customers migrate away from using USB key licensing to "cloud" licensing. I migrated our users to cloud licensing earlier this week. And now I have a couple of them in a panic. They are claiming the software is "totally different". That it no longer behaves the same way, it looks different, nothing is in the same place, etc... Except that is not true at all. Literally the only 2 differences are they have to click a "Login" button when they open the software and they don't have a USB key plugged into the computer anymore. That is it.

When I ask them to elaborate, no one has been able to point out these differences. But yet they swear it's different... somehow.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

stevewm posted:

Pissing me off today... dumb/panicky users.

A piece of software we use has been making all of their customers migrate away from using USB key licensing to "cloud" licensing. I migrated our users to cloud licensing earlier this week. And now I have a couple of them in a panic. They are claiming the software is "totally different". That it no longer behaves the same way, it looks different, nothing is in the same place, etc... Except that is not true at all. Literally the only 2 differences are they have to click a "Login" button when they open the software and they don't have a USB key plugged into the computer anymore. That is it.

When I ask them to elaborate, no one has been able to point out these differences. But yet they swear it's different... somehow.

It's the biggest tech support trope but end users do not look at computers the same way IT people do. They want you to stop changing poo poo so they can focus on the important part of their job, which is not the hammer they use to hit the nails with. If you change out their blue hammer for a red one, they will find a reason why a blue hammer hits nails straighter and also the red one is causing them carpal tunnel somehow. They do not care that it's not your fault personally, they just don't understand why you can't keep loving with everything when it works perfectly well*

*Today, for them, in that specific way

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

stevewm posted:

Literally the only 2 differences are they have to click a "Login" button when they open the software and they don't have a USB key plugged into the computer anymore. That is it.

I bet if you just plugged the dongle back in but left it on cloud licensing the “problem” would be “fixed.”

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

I bet if you just plugged the dongle back in but left it on cloud licensing the “problem” would be “fixed.”

Part of this migration is to run an app that deactivates the USB key.. The software ignores the key after it is deactivated. I thought about sending one of the deactivated keys back to the most vocal of the users and see if the "problems" disappear.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
A person at work put in a CSR for a cert to handle all of our domains used for email, and somehow put in domains that aren't used and in a few cases, we don't own.
They were supposed to just add the new domains, of which they had something like 8 to add, and somehow put in almost 20.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

CitizenKain posted:

A person at work put in a CSR for a cert to handle all of our domains used for email, and somehow put in domains that aren't used and in a few cases, we don't own.
They were supposed to just add the new domains, of which they had something like 8 to add, and somehow put in almost 20.

Just have one wildcard cert named *.* and send it out to the entire Internet boom problem solved.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Weaponized Autism posted:

Just have one wildcard cert named *.* and send it out to the entire Internet boom problem solved.

He'd probably do that if he could. This cert was over $7k to purchase it has so many SANs on it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KillHour posted:

It's the biggest tech support trope but end users do not look at computers the same way IT people do. They want you to stop changing poo poo so they can focus on the important part of their job, which is not the hammer they use to hit the nails with. If you change out their blue hammer for a red one, they will find a reason why a blue hammer hits nails straighter and also the red one is causing them carpal tunnel somehow. They do not care that it's not your fault personally, they just don't understand why you can't keep loving with everything when it works perfectly well*

*Today, for them, in that specific way

I work in tech and I hate when, for example, some random plugin in SSMS that helps me auto-complete database table.field stuff stops functioning because of some update. Or a UltraEdit plugin that parses XML and spits it out in a user friendly fashion just vanishes one day.

Stop loving with poo poo, and let me do my job instead of trouble shooting, re-requesting, raising tickets, getting them approved blah blah blah.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Having to politely but forcefully ask a Meraki support agent to send my case to someone who knows a single thing about their product :negative:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

CitizenKain posted:

He'd probably do that if he could. This cert was over $7k to purchase it has so many SANs on it.

:stare:

I did an SSL renewal on a cPanel hosted site, which was kind of a flashback to my days at the old MSP. This site has not been migrated to our corp platform because someone complained that they were afraid sales leads would disappear. :sigh:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I am so loving sick of this job that I wish I would get laid off so I can just live off of unemployment for a month or two while I apply to other jobs and don't deal with this poo poo. Everything is a loving mess, nothing is documented, management expects us to do everything with 0 budget.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Hey businesses, don't make a flashy site with things sliding all over the place and then have every route through your product listing lead to the exact same "call us for a price" page. It's not 1997 any more, put your loving prices on your website!

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

kensei posted:

I did an SSL renewal on a cPanel hosted site, which was kind of a flashback to my days at the old MSP. This site has not been migrated to our corp platform because someone complained that they were afraid sales leads would disappear. :sigh:

Sweevo posted:

Hey businesses, don't make a flashy site with things sliding all over the place and then have every route through your product listing lead to the exact same "call us for a price" page. It's not 1997 any more, put your loving prices on your website!

"but mah sales leads!"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Having to politely but forcefully ask a Meraki support agent to send my case to someone who knows a single thing about their product :negative:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

kensei posted:

We have divisions that will not give up some old domain because of probably really stupid reasons. On a few of them that they said they absolutely needed they didn't even have MX records on the domain, so not sure what they thought was happening.

Another fun update, this person sent along the they said wouldn't have the bad domains, and this time got one that is missing all the new ones we were supposed to add.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"but mah sales leads!"

Why is there not a :rage: emoji?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

kensei posted:

Why is there not a :rage: emoji?

Its : argh : :argh:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or :fuckoff:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

No reason we cannot also have :rage: someday.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Thanks Ants posted:

Serious question, is there even a good reason to use Meraki anymore? I loved their WAPs, but anything else seemed limited and weird and missing features. Don’t their competitors have very similar cloud based deployment tools now?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

If you’re an smb or an msp that serves smb’s meraki is still probably the right choice even with the limitations

But there is definitely a hard line where when your needs exceed the capabilities and it becomes very painful very quickly

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah the stuff is really expensive and very limited in terms of features but I was asked to spec a product range that the people who work on our support desk, who act like reading documentation is too much work, could look after. I could say go with Aruba and use the multi-tenancy features of Aruba Central, and put people through Aruba certs, but it would have been a battle with zero benefit to me from fighting it, whereas they can all use the Meraki stuff because it doesn't really do a lot. I'm not going to save the company money in exchange for catching escalations constantly because someone can't be bothered to read, that's a raw deal.

I use all Aruba stuff at my casual moonlighting gig and prefer it massively.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Google has decided that our users that have Azure AD SSO enabled can no longer sign into native apps on ios devices only. Sure is nice that their support is so loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our mobile sign in for Office 365 goes like this

Try to sign into O365

It opens the MS Authenticator app

You're then re-directed to our STS site

Then you have to open HID Digital Persona to accept the push notification

Then you have to go back to the Authenticator app to finish signing in

Now you are in O365 and you didn't have to start over becuase iOS killed one of the other two apps because you're out of memory or whatever