Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

not an approach i'm a big fan of, but true, if you ALWAYS want to be the aggressor in every fight this will absolutely have you covered

also much as i meme about hammers i've been meaning to do a dagger run of DS3 one of these days, they attack so fast that i bet you can get damage in during wind-ups vs. most enemies and still have time to dodge afterwards

dagger w/ the sidestep only no other weapon is the true alpha playthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I wonder how broken will going all focus flasks will be. From the network test you can finish some bosses with 1 or 2 chugs and spamming specials.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1491411609499353088/photo/1

From has fixed the RCE exploit in the PC version and the game will not be delayed, with the Souls games multiplayer coming back shortly after the release of ER

Praise it

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Praise the fun we're gonna have

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Big Bizness posted:

https://twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/1491411609499353088/photo/1

From has fixed the RCE exploit in the PC version and the game will not be delayed, with the Souls games multiplayer coming back shortly after the release of ER

Praise it
Eh, I'll believe From really fixed it when I see it. I wouldn't be surprised if they dumped EasyAntiCheat on it and called it a day.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Big Bizness posted:

Praise it

I dunno, "shortly" after the release of ER wasn't stated in that tweet. But we should be plenty busy so who cares

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Its not difficult to deal with/adjust. Just annoying.

Thats why sekiro owns, it doesnt have that problem. john sekiro stops for no one. Hesitation is defeat

Pretty much that. They're different games entirely from a combat standpoint. While ER will obviously not be Sekiro, I'm hoping it has cribbed enough to give the combat a less DS3 feel. Like I don't want posture break to just be the equivalent of DS2's pancake or whatever.

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Mailer posted:

I should have been more specific. The context was in regards to how DS3 combat (at least past the initial enemies) is so full of hyperarmor, dodges and faster-than-you startups that you initiate combat by standing there waiting for the attack(s) to roll through. That's not to say all those things in the list aren't awesome, just that replacing "roll, roll, roll, R1" with "roll, roll, roll, Jump Attack" isn't much of a difference even if the jump attack eventually gets you a big damage stagger.

It's probably not even an answerable question here because initial enemies covers everything we've seen. Also anyone playing it likely has played a lot of souls and might be missing some crucial combat difference. I don't know what that difference might be, but that was kind of the question.

I’ve heard, though I’m not sure if this is confirmed, Rolling has fewer iFrames than DS3, though not as few as Sekiro. That, plus the changes around blocking and invisible posture meter, sounds like From is taking a lot of what they learned from Sekiro and adding it to DS3/Bloodborne. Unfortunately it seems like the network test boss was the only real true challenge that also really incorporated and skill checked a lot of the new elements, so we don’t have much to go on. So yeah, probably unanswerable as you say.

JBP posted:

Can't wait to walk into the wrong neighbourhood and have to fight Nineball.
“Ninebreaker…seek…seek...lest…”

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I started a fresh DS3 run last night and I do get the complaint. Most enemies get staggered. Its easy to guess which wont. Its not that enemies are super fast in this game per se. Its just annoying that even with a quick weapon like sellsword twinblades i was trading with the regular mobs a bunch. Even attacking regular mobs on the high wall when they were at a standstill they'd still manage to get an attack out and we'd trade. And your limited heals run out pretty quick. Its not difficult to deal with/adjust. Just annoying.

Thats why sekiro owns, it doesnt have that problem. john sekiro stops for no one. Hesitation is defeat

It is why I am excited about the return of poise, guard counter, and the posture system. Without poise, Bloodborne’s focus on aggression and gun parrying, or Sekiro’s focus on aggression, blocking, parrying, and counters (mikiri for stabs, goomba stomping for sweeps, lightning reversals), DS3 kind of can feel limited in certain ways. You can trade with the enemy, they can stun lock you, you can stun lock them, or (particularly bosses) they have a bunch of hyper armor for a series of movies so it’s almost like you just have to eat the damage (if you fail a dodge) or watch a 4 second cutscene as the enemy does a series of moves. (I still like DS3 though, don’t get me wrong).

Yeah there are parries, but it can be hard to know what can or cannot be parried and if you fail you face tank it. Gun parries in BB are more general and can also be done at range, and even if it doesn’t work you get some chip damage in (or more if you have a BT build), and you might interrupt what they are doing. Sekiro parries basically always work (except for certain moves where you have other options) and even if you fail you are still blocking.

Edit: V Disco Elysium is probably the closest to this.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 9, 2022

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That to me doesn't sound like its fixed yet

Another random idea: Imagine souls where its not you vs everything, a few NPCs aside. Imagine nobody or almost nobody is aggro by default. You can choose to walk the earth and interact with beings as you wish, deciding whether or not to kill one or all of them. Some other mechanic in place for world building that I haven't thought of yet in case you do play nice with everyone. A RPG like this probably exists I dunno

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 9, 2022

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
A poison swamp that only damages you if you are sad.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Shrine of Amana, but it's a poison swamp

ohh.... oh no...

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Poison swamp but the poison heals you and the swamp increases your mobility. Hire me Miyazaki.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Poison swamp but the poison is actually Curse and kills you instantly when the bar fills.

Why yes, I did play the Cinders mod for DS3

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Turns out is was a typo, Miyazaki actually said poisson swamps, temporarily slipping into French. Elden Ring is going to be chock full of fishing minigames.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

and eating the fish poisons you

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If a dark souls game had a fishing mini game it would be the perfect game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Wait Elden Ring DOESN’T have a fishing mini game?

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Impermanent posted:

If a dark souls game had a fishing mini game it would be the perfect game

Now I'm just imagining having to fish up some giant demon fish to kill it like how you can do to Gobul in Monster Hunter Tri.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

if it's not a backstab throw it back

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://twitter.com/berserksouls/status/1491480213036969988

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
This is how fishing will go in elden ring

https://youtu.be/bZB8TyM8iqs

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Still would.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Dabir posted:

I mean, you don't have to, I guess, but you can sail through burg by just bouncing enemies off your shield and punishing them as they flail around.

Lol at shields

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

dat rear end

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I dont care what you say I'll whip my shield out when there are dogs coming up every time. even when I'm going roly poly the rest of the game

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I dont care what you say I'll whip my shield out when there are dogs coming up every time. even when I'm going roly poly the rest of the game

I've really fallen out of using shields or even doing tanky playthroughs throughout the years, hell the last run of DS1 I just did was almost entirely me just 2 handing greatswords.

But still, pulling out a shield for the dogs is the correct choice. No better way to do it as a melee user. :hai:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Just bop those dogs on the head

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The trick with dogs like that is to redirect their attention and energy. Give them something higher value to focus on, like a toy or a treat, and then reward them with it when they display the behavior you want to reinforce

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
speaking of good dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G4nbVv_MZ0

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The trick with dogs like that is to redirect their attention and energy. Give them something higher value to focus on, like a toy or a treat, and then reward them with it when they display the behavior you want to reinforce

or just perfect parry and slice them in half

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just hit things before they hit me generally. I call this strategy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JBP posted:

It's good honest work.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JBP posted:

I’m going to try this

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Poison dogs

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
dog swamp

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Nightmare of mensis but now it's also a poison swamp

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I am going to find the nearest rapier and poke with it

Literally an unbeatable strategy

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I'm telling myself I'm not using the claymore this time...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I'm going to punch

gonna need some of you nerds to find the caestus for me. I also hope the fists that let me do fire shoryukens are back