Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
also sochi was the most expensive olympics ever. insane amount of money stolen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Stink Billyums posted:

More expensive than all other previous winter olympics combined.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Horatius Bonar posted:

In the better China, people have learned to live in harmony with nature.

I had one of those apartment trees growing outside my window for a long time. My landlord tried killing it several times until something finally worked last year. It was quite resilient to being cut down and would come back like a weed.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Stink Billyums posted:

China needs to step up their game and get to #1.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I moved to a new neighborhood a year ago and the street dogs took a while to get used to me, but now they just ignore me when I bike in and out. Those first few times when they chased me were less than pleasant though!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i cant think of anywhere ive seen street dogs in chinese cities.

when ive been out to the boonies they've been around, but inside cities it's just cats. cats forever, tons of cats.

i love jingan park in shanghai cuz it just has a huge colony of fat cats that lay out in the sun.

my current xiaoqu has a big orange guy who comes up to me every morning when i go the gym and yells at me cuz i'm not the elderly woman who feeds him around the same time i head out.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Kharnifex posted:

Gotta agree with Sochi being the fondest memories, street dogs, group toilets, doors that can't be opened from the inside of rooms

It’s like a warning against ever hosting the olympics in your city / country.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I saw a few of what I thought were street dogs in Taiwan, but they were all dressed in clothes. Not dog clothes though, but filthy human clothes. Like there would be a small pack of dogs roaming the street wearing dirty human t-shirts. Maybe someone was going around clothing the street dogs.

I don't think I saw a dog without clothes the whole time I was there.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

I saw a few of what I thought were street dogs in Taiwan, but they were all dressed in clothes. Not dog clothes though, but filthy human clothes. Like there would be a small pack of dogs roaming the street wearing dirty human t-shirts. Maybe someone was going around clothing the street dogs.

I don't think I saw a dog without clothes the whole time I was there.

I have a hazy memory of people doing that for dogs that were 'owned' or maybe just taken care of, like dog collars I guess. Maybe it was animal welfare groups doing that or something as a campaign, so the dogs didn't get culled.

Also I saw a stray golden retriever splashing around in a small stream by a river park in Taipei, and he caught himself a fish and ate it. A whole rear end fish. Good dog.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
There are tiny packs of wild dogs on the rural outskirts of the city I live in - ~2-4 pooches wandering around together. No-one there seems to care, and the dogs stay well clear or people, so /shrug.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

The factory south of Wuhan where I worked had street dogs that lived in it and were fed by the labourers who lived on site. They'd wander around outside and sit on the driveways in the sun.
I never saw any in the city though, come to think of it.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I don't remember seeing street dogs in Chengdu, but I was surprised by how many people walked their dogs without leashes, given the unpredictable nature of being a pedestrian in China. There was one man who trained a MASSIVE Doberman on the loving sidewalk every morning when I and many children were walking to school...never stopped being scared of that dog.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm sure someone in Chengdu uses a leash but I sure can't remember ever seeing a leashed dog. This leads to a lot of people screaming at their dog which is running away, which once also included the old guy kicking at it, the dog then leading him into traffic (unintentionally?) and a truck almost plastering him. Many problems which could have been solved with leash technology. Cats were mostly leashed though. And the guy in my neighborhood who had a goat walked it with a leash.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i saw a bunny on a leash in shanghai over the weekend.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I posted that pic of a guy walking his duck or something on a leash like a million pages ago. I often think about him, and wonder how he's doing. He was so proud.

edit: it might have been a goose i dont remember

double edit: I found it

I dont really know birds

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 9, 2022

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

idk what it is but im fairly certain it aint a duck

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

It's a pheasant.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Betty Wight posted:

China has the current games mostly because Norway chose to withdraw our application - because we had a lot of news about how insanely expensive it would be and how the IOC had some supremely arrogant demands both for personal treatment and for e.g. shutting down all third party outdoor advertisement in Oslo.

The polls at the time showed a majority against hosting the games both nationwide and in Oslo (the planned host city) - the only support was from the regions around Oslo. Parliament prepared to vote on whether to continue the process, but the olympic committee that was running the project read the room and chose to withdraw the application before it came to a vote.

(Ref https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/10/05/oslo-2022-bid-hurt-by-ioc-demands-arrogance/16759151/ )

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Computer viking posted:

China has the current games mostly because Norway chose to withdraw our application - because we had a lot of news about how insanely expensive it would be and how the IOC had some supremely arrogant demands both for personal treatment and for e.g. shutting down all third party outdoor advertisement in Oslo.

The polls at the time showed a majority against hosting the games both nationwide and in Oslo (the planned host city) - the only support was from the regions around Oslo. Parliament prepared to vote on whether to continue the process, but the olympic committee that was running the project read the room and chose to withdraw the application before it came to a vote.

(Ref https://eu.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2014/10/05/oslo-2022-bid-hurt-by-ioc-demands-arrogance/16759151/ )

Huh. Good on Norway. More countries ought to demand more from the IOC.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

iirc stray dogs just get killed by chengguan

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Betty Wight posted:

I dunno, the people who made the decision to host the games definitely got what they wanted in Sochi. Tons of money could be shifted around through graft and the dictator got to show off on domestic media while pulling down more gold medals for his flag through a mass doping scheme that would have been very difficult to pull off overseas. As a bonus there's even the possibility somebody got record a bunch of footage of naked athletes!

Supposing you can manage the domestic narrative and don't give a gently caress about the average person it's a great deal.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 9, 2022

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm sure someone in Chengdu uses a leash but I sure can't remember ever seeing a leashed dog. This leads to a lot of people screaming at their dog which is running away, which once also included the old guy kicking at it, the dog then leading him into traffic (unintentionally?) and a truck almost plastering him. Many problems which could have been solved with leash technology. Cats were mostly leashed though. And the guy in my neighborhood who had a goat walked it with a leash.

In Jiangsu cities leash laws have been increasingly strictly enforced over the past ~3 years.
Technically any unleashed dogs can be taken by chengguan and effectively ransomed back for a fine, but practically most people just leash while old ayis / uncles don't, then argue until the chengguan give up.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can you spot it?

The Chinese skater reaches between the feet of the Canadian skater at the rear and throws the little witches hat right under the feet of the Canadian in second.

this but with the geopolitical outlook of the world

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Warbadger posted:

I dunno, the people who made the decision to host the games definitely got what they wanted in Sochi. Tons of money could be shifted around through graft and the dictator got to show off on domestic media while pulling down more gold medals for his flag through a mass doping scheme that would have been very difficult to pull off overseas. As a bonus there's even the possibility somebody got record a bunch of footage of naked athletes!

Supposing you can manage the domestic narrative and don't give a gently caress about the average person it's a great deal.

The world being distracted with Sochi (as well as the goodwill built up from it) was what allowed Putin to then annex Crimea. The Sochi Olympics took place from Feb 7-23 2014, the annexation began on Feb 20th, 2014. The Olympics hadn't even ended when he made his move.

Sochi was massively successful for Putin's needs. By all accounts, he rigged the games by creating a state-run doping program, and clearly used it to rake in money (the facilities lol), but Russia got a record 33 medals at the time (most are now disqualified), which was his aim. By making Russia appear as winners to themselves, he was able to create a swell of national pride enough that they confidently backed him during the annexation and rode a populism wave from there.

We are technically still dealing with the aftermath of what began with the Sochi Olympics, what with Ukraine and Russian and NATO being a hot topic.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 9, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

China needs to step up their game and get to #1.

Well they're getting the stolen part right, it's just apparently medals

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ailumao posted:

i cant think of anywhere ive seen street dogs in chinese cities.

when ive been out to the boonies they've been around, but inside cities it's just cats. cats forever, tons of cats.

i love jingan park in shanghai cuz it just has a huge colony of fat cats that lay out in the sun.

my current xiaoqu has a big orange guy who comes up to me every morning when i go the gym and yells at me cuz i'm not the elderly woman who feeds him around the same time i head out.

I used to see the occasional street dog in Zhengzhou but more often than not it was just some idiot walking their dog without a leash. Since it's China's version of the American South, people would just abandon their dogs too when they became too expensive by letting them run the streets. I assume the chengguan killed them after a bit because they were pretty active and heavy handed in Zhengzhou.

There were cats every now and then but mostly you'd see dirty, not cared for cats tied off to the front entrance of a store. It was explained to me that they just treated the cats like a guard dog because "they don't come back even if you feed them." Definitely a lot of cat prejudice in central China.

Kending in Taiwan was loaded with wild dogs.

I saw a man, dressed like the Maytag man, walking a goose on a leash once. Nobody believed me and I honestly I feel like it was a fever dream.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Kending in Taiwan was loaded with wild dogs.

One of my friends decided to go for a walk in the hills and actually got bit by a stray dog in Kenting, I totally forgot until now. It was an adventure getting to the nearest hospital.

But Taiwan is rabies-free, so hey, didn't need to get a shot after.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Atopian posted:

In Jiangsu cities leash laws have been increasingly strictly enforced over the past ~3 years.
Technically any unleashed dogs can be taken by chengguan and effectively ransomed back for a fine, but practically most people just leash while old ayis / uncles don't, then argue until the chengguan give up.

I refuse to believe that the chengguan do anything except beat up street vendors

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The color in the bottom photo is massively desaturated, lol. You can make anything look way more grim by doing that.

Just look at the color difference between the common part of the two images around the jump.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jeoh posted:

iirc stray dogs just get killed by chengguan

Well yeah they need something to do when they take a break from hitting homeless people with sledgehammers.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

Well yeah they need something to do when they take a break from hitting homeless people with sledgehammers.

i don't think they can tell the difference

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought that was more a Russian teenager thing

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

cat botherer posted:

The color in the bottom photo is massively desaturated, lol. You can make anything look way more grim by doing that.

Just look at the color difference between the common part of the two images around the jump.

Ah, much better.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Horatius Bonar posted:

Ah, much better.
It looks like an industrial area in the winter. Are we just upset they have industry or something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

cat botherer posted:

It looks like an industrial area in the winter. Are we just upset they have industry or something?

It's pretty funny to have an olympic ski jump positioned as a lone island amid a grey industrial wasteland :shrug:

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

cat botherer posted:

Don't be deliberately dense. The criticism is (or should be) of Olympic boondoggles that are clearly going to be single use and horribly wasteful of money and resources. China is not unique in being guilty of this but the picture is emblematic of the wasteful theater of the Olympics.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 9, 2022

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

cat botherer posted:

? It's not an industrial area, it's an Olympic venue, and a steampunk restaurant and soon, hopefully, a wedding venue in one of the cooling towers.

Who's upset? That's loving sick.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

cat botherer posted:

I thought it was a real life fallout mock up

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Magic Underwear posted:

Don't be deliberately dense. The criticism is (or should be) of Olympic boondoggles that are clearly going to be single use and horribly wasteful of money and resources. China is not unique in being guilty of this but the picture is emblematic of the wasteful theater of the Olympics.

this. Its not a China bash, its a "The Olympics stink!" post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
well if we're dumping on the olympics, here's some more from a previous olympic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFuBW3wkVm8