Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I :airquote:like:airquote: how both of the Japanese-named characters are grey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gobbeldygook posted:

My experience with p3s PF is that 90% of groups cannot kill the birds. It will be "FoF prog", we'll setup strats for FoF, and then we can't kill the birds. Often there's some inexplicable darkened fire prog before that, but the birds are the wall. Everyone can go into the add phase alive and without damage downs and the birds will still hurricane us into a new tomorrow. The small and big bird phases have the same DPS check: 4k DPS per person for 28 seconds and 55 seconds, respectively. Sometimes I can look at the DPS meter and see a problem - like one healer doing twice the damage of the other or a reaper sitting just above the tanks - but in every case the raid DPS has always been high enough overall, it's just not being applied to the birds in a timely manner. In the rare event that we kill the birds there's never enough mitigation to keep everybody alive through the big AOE, we lose 1-2 people on it, and domino, but we occasionally limp into FoA if a healer is able to drop a timely LB3.

at this point in the PF prog cycle I probably need to just suck it up and join a static.

It's not just PF that ends up like this, you pretty much described last week's "prog" with my sorta-static (read: like six or seven of us from my FC that are usually on at the same time).

It doesn't help that one of our tanks has terminal "little league outfielder distracted by butterflies" syndrome and I can't do things like burst Phlegma/Pneuma across the small birds to help try to speed that phase up because apparently "stand at the corner of your two birds and hit your tank AoE button" is too complex. :negative:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Tank aoe for only two mobs is a dps loss, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I mean for establishing initial threat on them, though. :v: It would be nice to be able to sling a Pneuma through the birds for both healing up after the divebomb and getting some extra initial damage in, but nope, every time I try or our WHM tries using Assize it ends up with us tanking that tank's birds and it's a mess.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meanwhile I'm over here Standard Stepping on the baby birds as they appear. Most of the time this causes no agro issues.

Most of the time.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
i figured out 20 hours of prog into p3s that i can nail all 4 small birds with a well-positioned and timed bio-blaster :toot:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean for establishing initial threat on them, though. :v: It would be nice to be able to sling a Pneuma through the birds for both healing up after the divebomb and getting some extra initial damage in, but nope, every time I try or our WHM tries using Assize it ends up with us tanking that tank's birds and it's a mess.

Here’s what we do. Tanks go to grab the east/west birds while dps is already in position north/south. The DPS hitting the n/s birds draw hate while the tanks take the birds they have to position and start whacking the bird that dps have already hit. My north bird might get one autoattack off before I smack it with my second single target hit, and sometimes it doesn’t even get that. No AOE is required and using it is worse dps wise.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
I'm looking at the parses from the p3s clear I did last night and my (WHM) damage is not up to snuff with the other healer (SGE). I'm consistently getting outpaced in healer DPS, even in like the first minute. How can I figure out what I'm doing wrong? WHM rotation is pretty simple but I must be screwing something up.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Also re: birds, as a reminder Big Birds can and should be hit during the tether phase

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Weed Wolf posted:

I'm looking at the parses from the p3s clear I did last night and my (WHM) damage is not up to snuff with the other healer (SGE). I'm consistently getting outpaced in healer DPS, even in like the first minute. How can I figure out what I'm doing wrong? WHM rotation is pretty simple but I must be screwing something up.

it's probably better to compare yourself against other white mages than against your sage co-healer. dumb question - are you using a tincture, raid food, and presence of mind during your opener?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Weed Wolf posted:

WHM dps is on average about 200 behind SGE, which is why you can't really compare absolute DPS numbers between different jobs and conclude you're playing worse.

Also, did you check their gear? If they have a better weapon you're going to be even further behind.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dps between healers (or any other jobs within a role) is not 1 to 1. Look at parses of other players of your job for a fight for a better comparison.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
Also keep in mind that seemingly small gear gaps can make a huge difference, e.g. weapon damage matters a whole lot.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Here’s what we do. Tanks go to grab the east/west birds while dps is already in position north/south. The DPS hitting the n/s birds draw hate while the tanks take the birds they have to position and start whacking the bird that dps have already hit. My north bird might get one autoattack off before I smack it with my second single target hit, and sometimes it doesn’t even get that. No AOE is required and using it is worse dps wise.

I just stand in between the two birds in my corner and do 2 aoes to get aggro because it's not like we're too slow on killing them or anything anyway.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ibblebibble posted:

I just stand in between the two birds in my corner and do 2 aoes to get aggro because it's not like we're too slow on killing them or anything anyway.

That will work, but isn’t the optimal thing to do. I’ll normally have the third part of my combo ready and it’s just smack east bird with storm’s eye and then onslaught into the north bird (that’s halfway to it’s position already).

Our first strat was for tanks to solo the east west birds while DPS took care of the north/south and adjusted after. It’s perfectly fine for a DPS to get smacked a few times.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Weed Wolf posted:

Without seeing the parse or any information of it, there's not much advice people can give. Sages will open up with two 500+ potency attacks, so that should give them an early lead. Gear, food, pots, anything else can make a difference.

Plug your stuff into here and it should give you some advice.
https://xivanalysis.com/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is there really much i can do solo in Zadnor (or BSF if I have to) as reaper to earn some xp? skirmishes are seemingly completely beyond me unless other folks are around

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You only get xp from skirmishes and CEs so yeah. You'll have a bad time if you're playing off hours for your data center.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you can’t get in a skirmish party in zadnor, you should look elsewhere for leveling. You don’t need a full party, but it really isn’t easy to do solo unless there are a lot of parties farming and you’re just smacking a bunch of stuff they’re killing.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

That will work, but isn’t the optimal thing to do. I’ll normally have the third part of my combo ready and it’s just smack east bird with storm’s eye and then onslaught into the north bird (that’s halfway to it’s position already).

Our first strat was for tanks to solo the east west birds while DPS took care of the north/south and adjusted after. It’s perfectly fine for a DPS to get smacked a few times.

Eh, I'll live. Not like it's getting included in the FFlogs parse anyway. I just go right into magic phase so positioning is super easy.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It always lines up such that I can drop a confiteor on the boss immediately before it flies away, so i have the Sword phase spells ready to drop on the adds immediately after tossing a circle of scorn to grab initial aggro. Then theres enough time to do a FoF+authority combo on the small birds, and when the big birds show up i can squeeze a buffed goring blade on one of them before moving to my tether position and going into another magic phase. Then everything is back up for the opener when the boss becomes targetable again. That phase seems to line up real well for pld.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Frida Call Me posted:

i found the worst parsing sage in a p3n clear, they were in my party. was wondering why that NDR was taking so long.

their contributions in damage consisted of a singular auto-attack for 37 damage. 37 damage, not dps. their dps was .1

https://www.fflogs.com/reports/7GntfBzCTXFxLNMc/#fight=last&type=damage-done

Why on earth would you play Sage if you don't want to DPS? It's entire gimmick is DPS skills that heal.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Do you think people honest heal understand how this game works lol

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

is there really much i can do solo in Zadnor (or BSF if I have to) as reaper to earn some xp? skirmishes are seemingly completely beyond me unless other folks are around

if you don't feel like spending essences of the beast and lost assassinate to become a functionally immortal death machine, there's a couple other ways to boost your survivability a lot. potionkits trigger automatically once you hit 50% hp and heal you for 50%, and protect/shell 2 give a 15% defense buff for 30 minutes and can just be replaced with other lost actions after applied. if there's no one around to take aggro, you can also bring incense for another 20% mitigation and banner of firm resolve for another 30% mitigation. lost cure 2 is an ogcd and pretty powerful so you can weave it in while taking damage. if all else fails you can slap on an essence of the platebearer for an 80% defense buff and 45% hp buff.

if you plan to use literally zero resources you are poo poo out of luck however

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Weed Wolf posted:

Without parses people can at best give you broad advice or only try to guess what’s going on
Something to keep in mind when evaluating healer parses is you should click the rank tab and check out healer combined damage too.
As you’ve surmised healer damage is quite linear and mostly a function of fitting in more damage GCDs. The two main methods of doing this are utilizing/planning your toolkit and your co healer toolkit to reduce the gcd healing required. The other is just practicing basic fundamentals: using your built in weave window to move/preposition so that your uptime is better and such. That’s not a lot to go on, and frankly I can only help you so much more than that anyways

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Kyrosiris posted:

It doesn't help that one of our tanks has terminal "little league outfielder distracted by butterflies" syndrome and I can't do things like burst Phlegma/Pneuma across the small birds to help try to speed that phase up because apparently "stand at the corner of your two birds and hit your tank AoE button" is too complex. :negative:
??? I tell everyone during prepull which of my two small birds will die first (if MT that's bird 1, OT bird 3). I usually mark it for the first few pulls and after that they trust me to be consistent. I hit the kill target with a single target attack, taunt the other, and move towards my first kill spot. I have never lost aggro of one of my little birds to a DPS or healer no matter what they were doing on the pull.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RME posted:

Do you think people honest heal understand how this game works lol

I just feel like the way the class works and is described should be extremely repellant to an honest healer.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 9, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Steelion posted:

It always lines up such that I can drop a confiteor on the boss immediately before it flies away, so i have the Sword phase spells ready to drop on the adds immediately after tossing a circle of scorn to grab initial aggro. Then theres enough time to do a FoF+authority combo on the small birds, and when the big birds show up i can squeeze a buffed goring blade on one of them before moving to my tether position and going into another magic phase. Then everything is back up for the opener when the boss becomes targetable again. That phase seems to line up real well for pld.

I appreciate your input. That is a sweet part of your rotation to be in.

It's set up well for war, too. I've been wanting to try PLD on some of our raids to compare and will when I get a tomestone drop. What do you have your GCD at? I've messed around a bit on PLD and on a dummy needed around 2.43 to get an extra gcd in on FoF.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I just feel like the way the class works should be extremely repellant to an honest healer.

again, this requires them to understand the game or their own toolkit

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

I just feel like the way the class works should be extremely repellant to an honest healer.

I'd say WHM holy should do the same thing. Like why would you not want to press that button?

But really the only part of SGE that works through damage is Kardia/Kaidron. Doesn't seem terribly hard to ignore if you want to spam your heal/shield like any other honest healer. Like the mechanics of the class don't really force you to deal damage, it just makes your life easier. (Same as any other healer really.)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxyclean posted:

I'd say WHM holy should do the same thing. Like why would you not want to press that button?

But really the only part of SGE that works through damage orientated is Kardia/Kaidron. Doesn't seem terribly hard to ignore if you want to spam your heal/shield like any other honest healer. Like the mechanics of the class don't really force you to deal damage, it just makes your life easier. (Same as any other healer really.)

Right, but the first thing the introduction job quest does is say "tack Kardia on me so your attacks will heal!"

RME posted:

again, this requires them to understand the game or their own toolkit

It's more having basic reading comprehension, because see above.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Gobbeldygook posted:

??? I tell everyone during prepull which of my two small birds will die first (if MT that's bird 1, OT bird 3). I usually mark it for the first few pulls and after that they trust me to be consistent. I hit the kill target with a single target attack, taunt the other, and move towards my first kill spot. I have never lost aggro of one of my little birds to a DPS or healer no matter what they were doing on the pull.

We deliberately have the DPS pulling one of the birds (N/S) immediately so there's no hold on killing them. Two dps and one healer preposition north or south and just start going ham on their bird. It's no problem at all to waltz up and take hate even without provoke.

The only issue we've had with a tank losing hate on a bird is me going ham on one of my partner's birds because tethers line up where I have to go west or south. I've gotten in a habit of clicking off defiance if I have to smack his birds because I'm hitting them with inner release fell cleaves or primal rend and can easily strip hate.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Right, but the first thing the introduction job quest does is say "tack Kardia on me so your attacks will heal!"

not really, theres a lack of understanding of how any of your abilities interact with each other and what they enable. Theres not really another way to put it, they do not understand how the game works

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

You can get the job stone and then just ignore that quest.

Similarly, people unlock RDM and somehow miss "cast quick spell to cast long spell instantly."

Never underestimate peoples ability to ignore tutorials and just not like, pick up on obvious mechanical flow.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The real galaxy brain part of P3S adds is to not kill them TOO fast, because it causes the boss to return early and throws off the timing of the potion window. This also means the total time to enrage is reduced by the same amount of time skipped by the boss' early return, which may be an issue if your group is just barely doing enough rDPS to clear.

It may be fun to go mad with power and Midare / Communio the poo poo out of the birds, but don't do that.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 9, 2022

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm late to the conversation but everyone is saying elmo strat is bad and i want to brag that my static has only messed it up once :smugdog:

(it was when the rdm accidentally used corps-a-corps at the wrong time and baited a second protean)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oxyclean posted:

You can get the job stone and then just ignore that quest.

Similarly, people unlock RDM and somehow miss "cast quick spell to cast long spell instantly."

Never underestimate peoples ability to ignore tutorials and just not like, pick up on obvious mechanical flow.

Yeah, the only way it makes sense is if they did this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Kaubocks posted:

i'm late to the conversation but everyone is saying elmo strat is bad and i want to brag that my static has only messed it up once :smugdog:

(it was when the rdm accidentally used corps-a-corps at the wrong time and baited a second protean)

Is elmo the tank immunity strat? We just have everyone do their individual job and it works out fine with one cone per non-tank and tanks just have their two tethers.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

King of Solomon posted:

Now I'm imagining the honest healer type not doing any damage in their job quests, just choosing to heal the NPCs

Thundarr posted:

Meanwhile I'm over here Standard Stepping on the baby birds as they appear. Most of the time this causes no agro issues.

Most of the time.
I Standard Step there but I make sure to stand closest to the north or south bird, wherever I'm assigned. That's where the tank and other DPS are going first too so if I get a crit-dh on that bird there still won't be any problems.

Kaubocks posted:

It's most hilarious when Summoners forget about their Ifrit gap closer and use it at the exact wrong time like here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is elmo the tank immunity strat? We just have everyone do their individual job and it works out fine with one cone per non-tank and tanks just have their two tethers.

i think (?) there's a couple strats that use tank immunity, but yea elmo is one

we swap the N ranged for one of the healers for "insurance", but like i said it's only come up once. the party is mindful of where they need to stand so we've never clipped them with the tank cones, them being stacked up makes it easy to find/grab tethers, big value out of invulns. it's pretty comfy for us.