Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m kind of amazed at the ability of the right wing to rile up people over the most inane poo poo. They just fabricate poo poo, spew it out, and the hounds are unleashed.

They're balls of unfocused anger begging for a target for their rage. All they want is an excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Well, a Sangamon county judge ruled that a temporary restraining order is necessary to stop schools from enforcing masks, testing or vaccination rules in their districts.

https://capitolfax.com/2022/02/04/sangamon-county-judge-issues-tro-says-school-mask-vaccine-testing-requirements-are-a-type-of-quarantine

quote:

Students attending one of the 145 schools across Illinois who are part of a sweeping lawsuit won’t have to wear a mask if they don’t want to, unless they’re given due process. Same goes for certain school staff who don’t want to take weekly COVID-19 tests for not being vaccinated. They must also have due process.

In a 30-page ruling late Friday, Sangamon County Circuit Court Judge Raylene Grischow “deemed null and void” the governor’s emergency rules through the Illinois Department of Public Health concerning COVID-19 mitigations for schools.

“The arbitrary method as to contact tracing and masking in general continue to raise fair questions as to the legality of the Executive Orders in light of violations of healthy children’s substantive due process rights,” Grischow wrote. “Statutory rights have attempted to be bypassed through the issuance of Executive Orders and Emergency Rules … This type of evil is exactly what the law was intended to constrain.”

Schools impacted by litigation brought by more than 700 parents and dozens of school staff are temporarily restrained from enforcing Gov. J.B. Pritzker’s COVID-19 mask and vaccine mandates.

Pritzker’s mandates for masks and exclusion policies in schools and vaccines or testing for teachers have been in place since last fall.

* The full “evil” quote…

The Illinois General Assembly had foresight when it created certain provisions limiting the authority of administrative agencies. When the Legislature created our laws, they did so knowing individuals have a fundamental right to due process when one’s liberty and freedom is taken away by forcing them to do something not otherwise required of all other citizens. Illinois law prohibits ISBE from making policies affecting school districts which have the effect of rules without following the procedures of the IAPA. Absent this statutory provision, ISBE would be able to on impulse, and depending on who held the Executive Branch, mandate whatever it felt necessary in the most arbitrary and capricious manner without having to follow any due process under the IAPA. As for the matters at hand, it is clear IDPH/ISBE were attempting to force local school districts to comply with this guidance without any compliance with rulemaking. This type of evil is exactly what the law was intended to constrain.

Moreover, the Joint Guidance is attempting to cloak the local school districts with the authority to mandate masks and require vaccination or testing without compliance with any due process under the IDPH Act. The Court has already ruled masks are a device intended to stop the spread of an infectious/contagious disease, and thus are a type of quarantine, and vaccination and testing are specifically covered under the IDPH Act, and as such any attempt to circumvent the statutory due process rights of the Plaintiffs by this Joint Guidance is void. Under no circumstances can guidance be issued which violates a statute. […]

The Court is told by the Defendants, should this Court grant relief to the Plaintiffs, the students in the districts, and the public as a whole, will be harmed by the further spread of COVID. While the Defendants offer no direct evidence of such a proposition, attached to their pleadings were affidavits of medical professionals who opined that masking, vaccination or testing, and other mitigations are the best chance of controlling the spread of COVID. It is worth noting the Plaintiffs do not seek any order of this Court dismantling masking, vaccination or testing policies in their totality. Only that due process under the law be afforded to them should they choose to object to being quarantined, which by definition includes masks, as well as being subjected to vaccination or testing. These Plaintiffs are not asking for anything other than what the Legislature said they were entitled. […]

Given the Legislature has changed the law and has chosen not change these relevant provisions, this Court must conclude the laws which have long been in place to protect the competing interests of individual liberty and public health satisfactorily balance these interest in the eyes of the Legislative branch of government. While the Defendants would seemingly ask this Court to second guess the Legislature’s adopted measures to prevent the spread of an infectious disease, which measures include due process of law, it will not do so.

* Order…

1) The IDPH Emergency Rules enacted on September 17, 2021 changing sections 690.10 (Definitions); 690.361(d) (Schools), 690.1380 (Physical Examination; Testing and Collection of Laboratory Specimens), and 690.1385 (Vaccinations, Medications, or Other Treatments) of Title 77 of the Illinois Administrative Code is deemed null and void;

2) ISBE Emergency Rule enacted on September 17, 2021, Part 6, Mandatory Vaccinations for School Personnel is deemed null and void;4

3) Defendants are temporarily restrained from:

a. Enforcement of EO18, EO24, EO25 as they pertain to the issue before the Court and the Emergency Rules issued by the IDPH and ISBE;
b. Ordering school districts require the use of masks for students and teachers who occupy their buildings, if they object, except during the terms of lawful order of quarantine issued from their respective health department, in accordance with the IDPH Act;

c. Ordering school districts to require persons who are both unvaccinated and work in Illinois schools to provide weekly negative results of an approved COVID-19 test or be vaccinated if they object in order to occupy the school building without first providing them due process of law; and

d. Ordering school districts to refuse admittance to their buildings for teachers and students for specified periods of time if the teacher or student is deemed a “close contact” of a confirmed probable COVID-19 case without providing due process to that individual if they object, unless the local health department has deemed the individual a close contact after following the procedures outlined in 20 ILCS 2305 and 77 Ill. Adm. Code 690.1330.

4) This temporary restraining order shall remain in full force and effect pending trial on the merits unless sooner modified or dissolved.

Footnote-Although this Court denied Plaintiffs’ request for Class Certification in Case No: 2021 -CH-500002, this Court has declared IDPH’s Emergency Rules void. Any non-named Plaintiffs and School Districts throughout this State may govern themselves accordingly.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CaptainJuan posted:

probably shouldn't get too pissed, she's by some margin the furthest left person in the delegation with good policy positions on pretty much everything, even I/P. though she's in some hot water for... well,

Yes, you don't have to deal with Lipinski, a nepotism baby who's anti-choice. Even with this dumb corruption, she's still better

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Soonmot posted:

Yes, you don't have to deal with Lipinski, a nepotism baby who's anti-choice. Even with this dumb corruption, she's still better

illinoispolitics.txt

Everyone's corrupt it just comes down to how corrupt and do their other policies make you want to look the other way.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Soonmot posted:

Lipinski was also hard core anti LGBT, basically a right wing Catholic who caucused with the Dems. Truly an awful person .

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

Soonmot posted:

Not just better than Lipinski but better than the vast majority of congressional dems. I got redistricted out of her district this year and I'm pissed since she's by far the best rep IL has. I don't give a poo poo about the corruption.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
My guy Chuy is pretty swell.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

KDdidit posted:

My guy Chuy is pretty swell.

His value over replacement mayor would’ve been way higher than his VORC

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Does anyone think Chuy will run for senate when Durbin finally retires? Not sure he has enough support statewide for that, but it’d be fun to see.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

They're balls of unfocused anger begging for a target for their rage. All they want is an excuse.

https://youtu.be/jjonGtrCyVE

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Welp,looks like whole lot of schools going maskless today because of the court ruling.

Also in fun news my six year old son told me that for several weeks his teacher has told his class that they don’t have to wear masks in her room, only when they go in the hallway. Remember kids, covid doesn’t exist in southern Illinois!

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some schools also going remote today because they’re wishy washy

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I'm kinda surprised the Illinois.SC didn't step in quickly over the weekend.

But yeah toss some more poo poo onto the pile of things teachers have to deal with. Gee why is it so hard to find teachers??

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Unit 5 in Bloomington/Normal sent out an email last night that we're still masking, fortunately, but I keep waiting for something stupid to happen. We'll see what happens with the appeal I guess, but it really feels like there's a much more energized effort to remove masks and pretend the pandemic is over.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

Unit 5 in Bloomington/Normal sent out an email last night that we're still masking, fortunately, but I keep waiting for something stupid to happen. We'll see what happens with the appeal I guess, but it really feels like there's a much more energized effort to remove masks and pretend the pandemic is over.
It's just a giant poo poo-show.

My older - fully vaccinated - probably caught it at school about two weeks ago. Probably during lunch. So I'm not at all worried about him, personally.

I'm thankful we're not at the Missouri level of "all quarantine is illegal" but drat.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Wife's school starts in 15 minutes, no word on if they'll be masked today or not. Leadership!

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
I’m just disgusted with the education system in general. If I switch jobs it won’t be to another school, I’ll just go do something else.

Covid has shown how many districts are led by hootin and hollering morons, good old boys, and slimy people pleasers and not anyone that is actually competent.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

dwarf74 posted:

It's just a giant poo poo-show.

My older - fully vaccinated - probably caught it at school about two weeks ago. Probably during lunch. So I'm not at all worried about him, personally.

I'm thankful we're not at the Missouri level of "all quarantine is illegal" but drat.

I'm assuming your kid's doing better now, but sorry you had to deal with that. And yeah, I have a lot of family in the St. Louis area and this situation has made me very grateful that my grandparents had the good sense to move out of Missouri so many years ago.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
CUSD200 (Wheaton North) sent out an email saying masks were "recommended but not required" which is the perfect amount of "well we recommended masks!!!!" if everyone gets sick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lager posted:

I'm assuming your kid's doing better now, but sorry you had to deal with that. And yeah, I have a lot of family in the St. Louis area and this situation has made me very grateful that my grandparents had the good sense to move out of Missouri so many years ago.
Oh yeah he's fine now and back in school. We did well enough to keep myself and my younger uninfected, amazingly. My wife got it from him - but she is also out of the 10-day quarantine now.

Still the whole thing sucked and I'd rather not repeat it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Yep. It is a poo poo show. We were originally going with the “we were not part of the court case so this does not affect us” and continuing on but 5 minutes before school started, staff was informed that we were pausing masking until this is figured out.

I hope a stay is put in place soon.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My district put out an email saying that since we weren't part of the court case, masking is staying as usual.

Of course, I don't know how that actually went today because I'm home with covid ha ha ha ha ha ha

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is there a list of all the districts named in the suit? My kiddo goes to a preschool at some local church; they sent out a letter this morning saying that since the local school district is not named in the suit, they are keeping masks - and so the preschool will follow suit.

Some idiot responded "I do see D 62 on the list 🤷🏻‍♀️ I am sorry but this is insane....some schools can go without and some not.....I simply want our little kiddos to see the smile on faces and to breathe and live a regular life...."

They posted an image where the city name was spelled wrong, so I somehow don't think it's an official list. So far I have restrained myself from hitting Reply All and relentlessly mocking them. However, before I do anything, I would like to see an "official" list so I can go that route and say "Not sure where you got your data, here's the list, we're not on it. A big thank you to our preschool for putting the health and safety of our children above petty politics." or some such dreck.

Still wanna really make fun of the lady though.

EDIT: Update: Preschool lady reiterated that the superintendent of the local district likely knows the status of his district, pointed Dumb Lady to the website where the letter was posted openly for all to see, and gently encouraged Dumb Lady to be careful about what sources she is listening to as the name of our city was spelled incorrectly on the image she posted, so it was likely not official.

Good job, Preschool Lady. More tact than I wanted to have about this (as a private citizen). If it was my job, I'd probably show the same level of professionalism, but it's not, so I don't wanna :colbert:

There's an object lesson here about me teaching my kiddo that bullying is not okay, while I am desperate to relentlessly bully Dumb Lady until she logs off. I refuse to learn it, however.

Zarin fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 9, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Trib says that Pritzker is hinting at an imminent end to the mask mandate, and that the lawsuits might be spurring him along, particularly since he's up for reelection this year.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zarin posted:

Is there a list of all the districts named in the suit? My kiddo goes to a preschool at some local church; they sent out a letter this morning saying that since the local school district is not named in the suit, they are keeping masks - and so the preschool will follow suit.

Some idiot responded "I do see D 62 on the list 🤷🏻‍♀️ I am sorry but this is insane....some schools can go without and some not.....I simply want our little kiddos to see the smile on faces and to breathe and live a regular life...."

They posted an image where the city name was spelled wrong, so I somehow don't think it's an official list. So far I have restrained myself from hitting Reply All and relentlessly mocking them. However, before I do anything, I would like to see an "official" list so I can go that route and say "Not sure where you got your data, here's the list, we're not on it. A big thank you to our preschool for putting the health and safety of our children above petty politics." or some such dreck.

Still wanna really make fun of the lady though.

EDIT: Update: Preschool lady reiterated that the superintendent of the local district likely knows the status of his district, pointed Dumb Lady to the website where the letter was posted openly for all to see, and gently encouraged Dumb Lady to be careful about what sources she is listening to as the name of our city was spelled incorrectly on the image she posted, so it was likely not official.

Good job, Preschool Lady. More tact than I wanted to have about this (as a private citizen). If it was my job, I'd probably show the same level of professionalism, but it's not, so I don't wanna :colbert:

There's an object lesson here about me teaching my kiddo that bullying is not okay, while I am desperate to relentlessly bully Dumb Lady until she logs off. I refuse to learn it, however.

I'm pretty sure they'll have their own mock thread for you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Willa Rogers posted:

The Trib says that Pritzker is hinting at an imminent end to the mask mandate, and that the lawsuits might be spurring him along, particularly since he's up for reelection this year.

Might as well since no one is enforcing it!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There are 3 case numbers: 2021-CH50001, 500002, and 50007. IIRC 500007 is by teachers and staff who don't want to mask.

IANAL but it looks like districts were added after the initial filing so I had to look at the records which are a mess. There's no direct link, to search for the cases (CH is Chancery)
go here

http://records.sangamoncountycircuitclerk.org/sccc/CaseNumberSearch.sc

Does anyone know a better way to find the list of districts?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm pretty sure they'll have their own mock thread for you.

Considering she can't spell the name of the city correctly, I'm not overly concerned.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The X-man cometh posted:

There are 3 case numbers: 2021-CH50001, 500002, and 50007. IIRC 500007 is by teachers and staff who don't want to mask.

IANAL but it looks like districts were added after the initial filing so I had to look at the records which are a mess. There's no direct link, to search for the cases (CH is Chancery)
go here

http://records.sangamoncountycircuitclerk.org/sccc/CaseNumberSearch.sc

Does anyone know a better way to find the list of districts?

Yeah, that looks similar to a SCRIBD PDF I found buried in a couple local news reports. That is to say, it's just as unreadable :v:

I figured a journalist would have compiled a full state list by now, but maybe not. The local papers that have lists only grab the surrounding areas, so it's hard for me to know if my city/district is omitted due to geography, or because we truly weren't named in the suit. Guess it's hard to prove a negative and all.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Zarin posted:

Yeah, that looks similar to a SCRIBD PDF I found buried in a couple local news reports. That is to say, it's just as unreadable :v:

I figured a journalist would have compiled a full state list by now, but maybe not. The local papers that have lists only grab the surrounding areas, so it's hard for me to know if my city/district is omitted due to geography, or because we truly weren't named in the suit. Guess it's hard to prove a negative and all.

There weren't a lot named and since it wasn't class action there's arguments to the effect of only the PEOPLE in the districts named in the suit are eligible for exemption just depends on how your local school district's lawyer + administrator interpret the ruling.

In short, chuds gonna chud.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/JSahly/status/1491463726918164486

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

WBEZ was saying Pritzker is doing a news conference at 2 to discuss ending mask mandates.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
DeVore and his allies at Awake Illinois are going to take credit for ending the mask mandates and they're going to get very bold about CRT and transgender students.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Apparently the mandate is still going to be in effect in schools. Parents in my partner's district have already been insane assholes about masking, so I'm sure this is going to ratchet it up to nigh unbearable levels.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I heard that March 1st would be the end of indoor mask mandates (following the lead of some other states) but schools will probably have masks (if reinstated) for the rest of the school year. I am guessing, after the end of the school year, we no longer hear talk of school masks mandates because, like someone said above, no one is enforcing it in many places.

My school is without masks and I wear one and a few students do as well. I have wanted them that we could go back to it at anytime but many kids just want to say no to that.

One kid (my major Trumper) today said that “you know people are going to wear masks after this is over and I am going to slap the poo poo out of them.” I ripped him a new one in front of the class and he was not happy about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mandate or no I'm still gonna be flaunting my mask because I've determined I hate sharing air with other humans.

I can't not breathe air but I can certainly do things to not breathe whatever foul contaminant they're exhaling because everyone is too stupid to stay the gently caress home when feeling sick.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lawyer behind it :lol:

He's also poo poo-talking people who are asking what he did with their money.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1491198161083408384

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
We're premature rescinding the mandates just like we were last year. That's certainly not going to stop us from getting dragged along with the annual "return to normal" cognitive dissonance exercise, of course. As stated, might as well because enforcement seems to perpetually be someone else's job anyway.

xzzy posted:

Mandate or no I'm still gonna be flaunting my mask because I've determined I hate sharing air with other humans.

I can't not breathe air but I can certainly do things to not breathe whatever foul contaminant they're exhaling because everyone is too stupid to stay the gently caress home when feeling sick.

:same:

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.
https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1493356524256862210

For those who haven't been paying attention, he went to a crooked bank and got a mortgage that he never paid a dime back on, then deducted the interest (which he also didn't pay) from his taxes, then lied to the feds about it after the crooked bank collapsed. Classic!

The mayor will appoint his replacement. No loving idea who it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

CaptainJuan posted:

https://twitter.com/jmetr22b/status/1493356524256862210

For those who haven't been paying attention, he went to a crooked bank and got a mortgage that he never paid a dime back on, then deducted the interest (which he also didn't pay) from his taxes, then lied to the feds about it after the crooked bank collapsed. Classic!

The mayor will appoint his replacement. No loving idea who it could be.

The banker in question committed suicide also.