Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1491431695886680067?s=20&t=UXRTeofxXsDiQxMytIsfLQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/HornLeftists/status/1491222343620136960?cxt=HHwWgMDUicO08bEpAAAA

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The US inadvertently undoing the Sino-Soviet Split seems like a particularly stupid policy. Even within the logic of these Pentagon planners and think tank hawks, why take on both right now?

Did the Iran, DPRK and Venezuela camps lose their influence, or is the US expected to maintain hegemony in all of these places at once with inflation, covid and everything else going on unabated?

I understand declining Empires lash out, but usually not in all directions at once.

e: lmao If China pulls of Cape-to-Cairo while the UK still pretends its a real power.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you know if there is a copy of this with English subtitles?

https://twitter.com/ernestleungmt/status/1408228520929624064

someone get the anime fansub community to make themselves useful

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > C-SPAM > [Eurasia] Never thought I'd come around on Deng, yet here we are

approved.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

acting tough first, throwing allies under the bus second

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The US inadvertently undoing the Sino-Soviet Split seems like a particularly stupid policy. Even within the logic of these Pentagon planners and think tank hawks, why take on both right now?

Did the Iran, DPRK and Venezuela camps lose their influence, or is the US expected to maintain hegemony in all of these places at once with inflation, covid and everything else going on unabated?

I understand declining Empires lash out, but usually not in all directions at once.

e: lmao If China pulls of Cape-to-Cairo while the UK still pretends its a real power.

This is decades of post-Soviet triumphalism coming to a head, while dovetailing into America realizing way too late that China is about to lap us. American diplomats and policymakers weren't thinking about the consequences during the 90s and early stages of the GWOT, because we thought we were a real hyperpower that could do anything to anyone anywhere.

I was listening to his 1987 Japanese city pop album yesterday. It's not bad but nothing stands out either. :shrug:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

From the perspective of DC, until about 2015 or so, they thought they had the Chinese situation under control (and US-Russian relations were already been pretty garbage) so until that point everything was still “cool” because the Russians were contained.

Once it turned out Xi wasn’t just another “grey liberalizing bureaucrat” then the choice was either to make peace with the Russians (which would be awkward and DC thought they could crush them anyway) or simply take on both on once as well as Iran etc.

Guess how it worked out

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

From the perspective of DC, until about 2015 or so, they thought they had the Chinese situation under control (and US-Russian relations were already been pretty garbage) so until that point everything was still “cool” because the Russians were contained.

Once it turned out Xi wasn’t just another “grey liberalizing bureaucrat” then the choice was either to make peace with the Russians (which would be awkward and DC thought they could crush them anyway) or simply take on both on once as well as Iran etc.

Guess how it worked out

US in 2019: Iran? Totally a cakewalk!

*one Iranian SAM later*

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
its cool as hell, i hope the usa continues to make more enemies and keep alienating its allies. make germans pay 5x in electricity bills so they can "contain" russia why not

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mila kunis posted:

its cool as hell, i hope the usa continues to make more enemies and keep alienating its allies. make germans pay 5x in electricity bills so they can "contain" russia why not

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

mila kunis posted:

Besides the killing the French sub deal, US ASPI'ing Australia to antagonize China so the Americans can cut more agri deals with enemy they are supposed to hate is some geopolitical comedic gold

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

OFF FRAME: jackie’s leg’s are shackled to the floor and two kitted out PLA soliders have their guns pointed at him

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Guess how it worked out

Why 2015? US - Russian relations had already soured by the end of the Bush regime and the Pivot to Asia was pretty big under Obama's clown show.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I was listening to his 1987 Japanese city pop album yesterday. It's not bad but nothing stands out either. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZtxUfOqUVc

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1491401647859601418?s=20&t=tZWl5sdEKbJiCD6STj3-kQ

They do crazy poo poo with drones over there

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

no potential military applications at all

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is decades of post-Soviet triumphalism coming to a head, while dovetailing into America realizing way too late that China is about to lap us. American diplomats and policymakers weren't thinking about the consequences during the 90s and early stages of the GWOT, because we thought we were a real hyperpower that could do anything to anyone anywhere.

Ardennes posted:

What’s that Tuchman book these guys all read? The March of Folly? You would think some of those platitudes would have sunk in at Georgetown or whatever.

“The follies that produced the loss of American virtue following Vietnam begin with continuous overreacting, in the invention of endangered national security, the invention of vital interest, the invention of a commitment which rapidly assumed a life of its own.”

I realize that Tuchman is the Midcentury American Liberal historian, but that’s kind of the point. Obama and his guys stepped on rakes because they’d all read A Team of Rivals and watched The West Wing. If the elite run into problems because they have ideological blinders on, all of those Very Smart Books about the Peloponnesian War should have been warning these guys what happens to an overreaching and arrogant commercial and maritime power. What I’m starting to realize is that its more likely that none of these lessons are really absorbed and believed, just recited - first to get good grades, then to make good impressions at dinner parties, and if that all works, to give quotes to WaPo and the Atlantic and write one of those godawful books.

That makes sense to me, because side by side with Curzon and the Empire Builders were the civil servants and diplomats who believed in that myth of invincibility and committed to the Singapore Strategy and Suez Crisis. I think you’re right is that when a declining Empire gets in that “win” - the Great War for the British, the fall of the Soviet Union for the US - they don’t think about consequences anymore. It’s just funny to think that people you know say “Only Nixon could go to China” in conversation pushed China and Russia together, forgetting any lesson from Nixon’s visit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

China has developed clouds of drones capable of lighting up the night sky in coordinated formations, but US officials are concerned the drones could fly around in formations besides a celebratory display

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do any of you know if there is a copy of this with English subtitles?

https://twitter.com/ernestleungmt/status/1408228520929624064

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_-Ac68FKG4

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao, they couldn't find a Ukranian soldier that speaks Ukranian?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Palladium posted:

your loving kraft mac and cheese is military technology, who cares

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Palladium posted:

demoralizing us troops by having drones paint a winking xi in the sky

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://twitter.com/formerlyfiz/status/1491087780969324547

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Winter olympics have made gbs and dnd even more blisteringly racist than usual. It's really quite remarkable.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is it more racist or did they just get a sign that they don't have to have hide it anymore?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I guess its just being overt and more people are happy to post their insane and bad takes, which because they are about the perfidious yellow man can't be racist. Liberals.

Leper colony is a shitshow.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
not even the planck-length thick veneer of "hate the ccp not the people" anymore?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Why 2015? US - Russian relations had already soured by the end of the Bush regime and the Pivot to Asia was pretty big under Obama's clown show.

Initially, the Pivot to Asia was suppose to include China, it was only later after the invasion of Crimea and when the Donbas conflict started to settle down that there was a true breach not only between Russia but China, which clearly had supported Moscow.

Remember, Xi had only taken power in 2013 and it took some time to “figure him out,” but under Hu, American-Chinese relations were pretty warm. Remember as well that Hillary was far harsher on Russia than China during the 2016 election, and part of that was the natural momentum of Beltway thought at that point.

I think the decline of US hegemony both is result of issues that effect all empires at some point (the hubris of complete victory, nepotism etc) but also the US’ oligarchical origins as as essentially as a self made club for the colonial elite.

It is why I always bring up Poland-Lithuania as the closest historical parallel since it is so spot on, more so than I would even say the British.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is from his 1986 album, Sing Lung. 1987 was No Problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-tyINQfe9w

This was his 5th and last album where he sings in Japanese.

You really can't understate how little credit Jackie Chan gets. He was a true renaissance man.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Been having the realization that in the next 30-some years we'll probably have a repeat of the events of the 30's and 40's but the US will be the fascists and the Chinese will be the liberators

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

She's living the best life an 18 year old could possibly have. A nation full of haters and a gold medal placer.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I know nothing about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, other than what Austrian histories touch on with the Partitions and Galicia. I remember that several regional crises involved their elective monarchy and parliament, but again only insofar as that involved Austria.

As broadly as you like, what drove their decline?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Justin Tyme posted:

Been having the realization that in the next 30-some years we'll probably have a repeat of the events of the 30's and 40's but the US will be the fascists and the Chinese will be the liberators

Honestly, I don’t think the US has it in to pull that trick.

The US has a serious debt issue and what ever is remaining strength of the USD is holding it together.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah the USD being dropped as the reserve currency would be the deathblow to the country as we know it.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
it feels like it will happen especially as the crypto bullshit continues to propagate lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I know nothing about the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, other than what Austrian histories touch on with the Partitions and Galicia. I remember that several regional crises involved their elective monarchy and parliament, but again only insofar as that involved Austria.

As broadly as you like, what drove their decline?

Why Austria?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

slave to my cravings posted:

it feels like it will happen especially as the crypto bullshit continues to propagate lol

crypto will, if anything, reinforce the dollar's value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Justin Tyme posted:

try the next 10 years lol