Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

rydiafan posted:

I mean, at that point the bad guy had been stopped. Once Magneto removed his helmet, Xavier was able to freeze him. At that point Magneto could have just carried him back to the plane like a mannequin.

Oh shoot, you're right. I forgot what it was about it that annoyed me. It was just Xavier's naivete, now that I think about it.

edit: goddammit I need to start counting posts so I stop ending up on the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought it was more of a "I'm going to feel what you do", and less of a morally grey area. Been a long time since I've seen the movie though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

credburn posted:

There was a goon who wrote a script to count posts in threads and spent a couple weeks page sniping dozens of threads with bullshit before they got caught.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Schubalts posted:

In the comics, it's all started by the Superman equivalent (The Sentry) falling through a tear in reality, already infected, and well, he's not-Supes, there was not much anybody could do to keep it from spreading. So instead of everybody getting got by regular zombies, all the superpowered people are the zombies hunting down everyone else.

How did they sell regular zombies being a threat to any of the named Marvel characters? Even Hawkeye and Black Widow could stomp through regular zombies.

The main funny part is that patient zero was originally supposed to be literally Superman, but they couldn't make it subtle enough.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Should have had him as Clark Kent.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

credburn posted:

Oh shoot, you're right. I forgot what it was about it that annoyed me. It was just Xavier's naivete, now that I think about it.

Wasn't there a whole thing with Xavier shouting that he 'can't hold him for long' - so literally not giving much choice short of uh... knocking him out or something?
Brain penny it is!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DarkDobe posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing with Xavier shouting that he 'can't hold him for long' - so literally not giving much choice short of uh... knocking him out or something?
Brain penny it is!

Yeah! It was... something like that. Well now I need to rewatch it so I can remember why I hated the ending.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
In either case, Magneto was more than justified in killing him. Dude's been on a lifelong quest to kill as many Nazis as possible and here he has finally caught the guy that murdered his family.

Magneto did nothing wrong. Except for the part straight afterwards where he almost starts a nuclear war. That was a bit misguided.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Magneto has a tendency to get on a roll when he starts killing folks.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

He deserves it, and trying to stop him is both antisemetic and homophobic

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There was a period from around 2006 to 2011 where every sports movie trailer played the song "remember the name" which I don't like.

Gaunab has a new favorite as of 16:57 on Feb 9, 2022

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

He deserves it, and trying to stop him is both antisemetic and homophobic

Plus no one wants to deal with the optics of being that guy who beat up a Holocaust survivor.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I wonder what's going to happen once anything having to deal with WW2 gets out of the age bracket for Hollywood to include in their stories set in the modern day. Most "he's a war vet" stories have been moved forward to another war, from WW2 to Vietnam to the Middle East...but you can't really have someone be an Holocaust survivor in 2040+ and you don't have something that's comparable (for a white audience to care about / for a white protagonist to be a victim of) after that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

That Italian Guy posted:

I wonder what's going to happen once anything having to deal with WW2 gets out of the age bracket for Hollywood to include in their stories set in the modern day. Most "he's a war vet" stories have been moved forward to another war, from WW2 to Vietnam to the Middle East...but you can't really have someone be an Holocaust survivor in 2040+ and you don't have something that's comparable (for a white audience to care about / for a white protagonist to be a victim of) after that.

There have been plenty of ethnic cleansing since WWII to fuel Hollywood for the next generation, don't you worry. Plop a white guy in the lead role as a sympathetic UN worker and you got Oscar landslide 2030

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
There's supposed to be a movie about the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Something like Rambo where a black ops team goes back for people left behind.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

There was a goon who wrote a script to count posts in threads and spent a couple weeks page sniping dozens of threads with bullshit before they got caught.

lmao goddamned hero of the forums

(but seriously, i hope no one is actually troubled by page snipes. it's not 2004, no one cares anymore)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

MariusLecter posted:

There's supposed to be a movie about the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. Something like Rambo where a black ops team goes back for people left behind.

Rambo 3

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

That Italian Guy posted:

In Magneto's case they could at least just say that his mutation means he lives longer. In at least one point in a cartoon and probably the comics they have him use various plot devices (in one case, ironically a version of the Super-soldier treatment that is fatal to humans but rejuvenating to mutants) to lengthen his lifespan.

It's more of an issue with Captain America, though, as eventually you basically have Buck Rogers rather than a mere man out of time.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's more of an issue with Captain America, though, as eventually you basically have Buck RogersTimecop rather than a mere man out of time.
Grabs 3 seashells. "I can do this all day."

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That Italian Guy posted:

Grabs 3 seashells. "I can do this all day."

I love how you quote edited Buck Rogers to Timecop then proceeded to use a Demolition Man reference.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Demolition Man is set less than 40 years in the future from when it was made.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Android Apocalypse posted:

I love how you quote edited Buck Rogers to Timecop then proceeded to use a Demolition Man reference.
In my defense, I am currently sick af right now :v:

Also Demolition Man should have been called Timecop.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In Magneto's case they could at least just say that his mutation means he lives longer. In at least one point in a cartoon and probably the comics they have him use various plot devices (in one case, ironically a version of the Super-soldier treatment that is fatal to humans but rejuvenating to mutants) to lengthen his lifespan.

It's more of an issue with Captain America, though, as eventually you basically have Buck Rogers rather than a mere man out of time.

I mean, with Steve you can at least have a floating date in which he was pulled out of the ice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neito posted:

I mean, with Steve you can at least have a floating date in which he was pulled out of the ice.

And do. In The Ultimates he's only found in 2003, IIRC.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jedit posted:

And do. In The Ultimates he's only found in 2003, IIRC.

And therein lies the only reason to talk about the Ultimates.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Neito posted:

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Sigh, this...just doesnt make any sense no matter how you look at it. Steve would have fought with French partisans, he'd know thats bullshit.

Eugh

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everything in Marvel is always "a few years ago".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
A few months later there was a comic storyline where main universe captain america ended up giving a speech about the bravery of the French partisans he’d fought with and it was clearly motivated by criticisms of that panel.

And eventually even Ultimate Captain America at some point admits that he was just really heated in that moment and he’s not actually sure why he said that.

But this was all around the time of the Iraq War you see.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Neito posted:

"HULK STRAIGHT!"

God that comic was loving stupid. I'd binged through Ultimate Spiderman through my local library after a long hiatus from reading comic books, loved it and decided to check out another Ultimate title. Big mistake.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

christmas boots posted:

A few months later there was a comic storyline where main universe captain america ended up giving a speech about the bravery of the French partisans he’d fought with and it was clearly motivated by criticisms of that panel.

And eventually even Ultimate Captain America at some point admits that he was just really heated in that moment and he’s not actually sure why he said that.

But this was all around the time of the Iraq War you see.

The problem is historiography hasn't really acknowledged that the reason the French government was so willing to give up during WW2 is that tons of the leadership were fascist adjacent.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

BiggerBoat posted:

"HULK STRAIGHT!"

God that comic was loving stupid. I'd binged through Ultimate Spiderman through my local library after a long hiatus from reading comic books, loved it and decided to check out another Ultimate title. Big mistake.

Ultimate Spider-Man was the only good title in that line

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ultimate FF is at my library. Pass then?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neito posted:

Miles Morales and Sam Jackson Nick Fury ? Or like do you mean specifically the Ultimates title and not the broader alternate universe, in which case sure

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I thought the first two volumes of Ultimates were pretty good, but Jeph Loeb went to a dark place after his son died and his work was never the same

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm watching the Guilded Age, or "HBO makes Downton", and the focus on the two families kind of takes away from time that can be given to the downstairs group. So far there have only been tidbits of downstairs drama, one of which apparently wrapped up in one episode.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

That Italian Guy posted:

Hasnt The Simpsons sort of moved up the dates its chraters? like I seen pics from the GBS thread of college Homer and Marge in the 80s??

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PhazonLink posted:

Hasnt The Simpsons sort of moved up the dates its chraters? like I seen pics from the GBS thread of college Homer and Marge in the 80s??

Homer was in a grunge band in college.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Homer and Marge met doing Tik Tok dances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lisa's first words were "never trump"