Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL it really boggles my mind that you can be such a world class talent like McKinnon or Nielsen, people with really timeless style that defies genre and inspires literally thousands of people all over the world to become artists themselves… and you can still be like so fuckin stupid

Framboise posted:

I'm so conflicted because my current playmat of choice is the collab art between Seb and Rebecca. I don't really know what to do, it honestly looks more like a Guay piece more so than a Seb piece imo.

I would ask yourself “Does Rebecca Guay want me to throw about the playmat I bought from her?”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is why I have a plain blue Ultra Pro playmat. At least, until The Platonic Form of Blue turns out to be a flat earther or something.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

This is why I have a little card I put on the table before every match that reads "views expressed by the artists of these game pieces do not represent the views of I Before E"

That and, of course, to go with the card I put on the table after the match that says "no Fblthps were harmed in the playing of this match"

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
As long as my Invoke Prejudice playmat isn't problematic, then this is all fine.

I know it is. I am joking and nothing is fine.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Once again, I think we’re all sort of making up an imaginary Magic the Gathering player who will sit down for a friendly game of commander, see an original Terese Nielsen Force of Will, and then pitch a poo poo fit about you using cards by problematic artists. All of this hemming and hawing over expensive designer playmats and art prints and so on is coming from a good place of not wanting to support bad people, but in actuality you’re kind of creating an alternate reality where playing a game of commander with a Seb McKinnon playmat somehow means you endorse his anti-vaxx/bodily autonomy viewpoints and that’s JUST NOT IT loving WORKS, any more than using my original Force of Will in my deck makes me a CHUD or a transphobe.

You’re creating an imaginary MtG player who is some fragile woke Tumblr person that can’t even LOOK at a thumbnail sized painting of a spooky wizard man or mystical lake ghost without being triggered by that image into… remembering that the person who painted that thing is stupid? What?

It’s like going to a party and and hearing a song by The Beatles or David Bowie come on over the speakers and instantly assuming that the host beats his wife or fucks kids, it’s completely insane to make that assessment and is more or less totally performative.

If YOU PERSONALLY can’t look at Force of Will or Damnation without thinking of those people and their bad ideas and it instantly bums you out, feel free to swap them around. But I am literally begging you not to make up an imaginary victim in your mind and create a fantasy scenario where they are about to feint from your rude art cards and you heroically swap them out for Rebecca Guay basics.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Grevlek posted:

i totally understand it is very chud-brained, just not sure if it's chud-brained enough I can get away with getting a Hanna playmat

Not sure what you mean, it's very pretty art, and would make a lovely playmat

Is there some sort of alternate world where Hanna has art other than the two versions from Double Masters and Invasion? ;)

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
So im looking at more zombies i can potentially slap into my deck. what are your opinions on:

Graveborn Must
Soulless One
Noxious Ghoul
Gempalm Polluter

I know people suggested Noxious Ghoul and another which I think was called plague belcher or something like that, but i was preoccupied and can't remember now.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Dizz posted:

So im looking at more zombies i can potentially slap into my deck. what are your opinions on:

Graveborn Must
Soulless One
Noxious Ghoul
Gempalm Polluter

I know people suggested Noxious Ghoul and another which I think was called plague belcher or something like that, but i was preoccupied and can't remember now.

Do you have any of the Kaldheim ones in your list, like Narfi and the dude that exiles creatures opponents control that die?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

Do you have any of the Kaldheim ones in your list, like Narfi and the dude that exiles creatures opponents control that die?

Name them please. I haven't updated my decklist yet since i've been swapping cards out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

If YOU PERSONALLY can’t look at Force of Will or Damnation without thinking of those people and their bad ideas and it instantly bums you out, feel free to swap them around. But I am literally begging you not to make up an imaginary victim in your mind and create a fantasy scenario where they are about to feint from your rude art cards and you heroically swap them out for Rebecca Guay basics.

That's the thing though, it bums me out. I'll use my Nielsen FoW (and hell, my McNeill Sylvan Library) because it's the only version of the cards I have and I'm not about to drop like 40 for another Library or 100 for another FoW. But I have other playmats, and it sucks because I still really like Seb's art but it's conflicting with me being supremely disappointed with him as a person right now and that, at least currently, is the feeling I primarily think about when I look at them, not how cool the art looks.

I don't really give a poo poo what someone else thinks about the cards I play or the mat I use-- hell, I'm tempted to sell some of those mats, someone else can use them-- it's just that Seb's art bums me out on a personal level right now, probably even more so than Nielsen's.

The real answer is that Johannes Voss needs to do some playmats with his new Secret Lair art. :hai:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bust Rodd posted:

Once again, I think we’re all sort of making up an imaginary Magic the Gathering player who will sit down for a friendly game of commander, see an original Terese Nielsen Force of Will, and then pitch a poo poo fit about you using cards by problematic artists. All of this hemming and hawing over expensive designer playmats and art prints and so on is coming from a good place of not wanting to support bad people, but in actuality you’re kind of creating an alternate reality where playing a game of commander with a Seb McKinnon playmat somehow means you endorse his anti-vaxx/bodily autonomy viewpoints and that’s JUST NOT IT loving WORKS, any more than using my original Force of Will in my deck makes me a CHUD or a transphobe.

You’re creating an imaginary MtG player who is some fragile woke Tumblr person that can’t even LOOK at a thumbnail sized painting of a spooky wizard man or mystical lake ghost without being triggered by that image into… remembering that the person who painted that thing is stupid? What?

It’s like going to a party and and hearing a song by The Beatles or David Bowie come on over the speakers and instantly assuming that the host beats his wife or fucks kids, it’s completely insane to make that assessment and is more or less totally performative.

For once I agree with Rodd, handwringing about an artists views on a magic card or a playmat is performative liberal bullshit.

Don't give a CHUD artist money, don't buy future products from them, but if you bought something in the past worrying about card art seems pretty meaningless, especially when you rush out to consume something else, ultimately supporting the same lovely capitalist structure that enables gross people like that.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's also meaningless to Wizards/Hasbro unless you're trying to boycott magic products in general over it or something, which no one is doing ofc

i'm just gonna keep separating the art from the artist and let the people with the actual power to sign his contracts decide how much they want to torpedo his livelihood over this stuff, performative consumption is worthless

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Framboise posted:

I don't really give a poo poo what someone else thinks about the cards I play or the mat I use-- hell, I'm tempted to sell some of those mats, someone else can use them-- it's just that Seb's art bums me out on a personal level right now, probably even more so than Nielsen's.

Just put them in storage and see how you feel in 6 months or whatever.

Dizz posted:

Name them please. I haven't updated my decklist yet since i've been swapping cards out.

Here's a list of the Kaldheim zombies, they're talking about Draugr Necromancer and Narfi, Betrayer King specifically. Going through the others you mentioned:

Graveborn Muse - staples a phyrexian arena to each of your zombies, if it kills you, then hats off to the aggro player that did the first 28 damage. Great card, 4 mana is a fair bit so be aware of that.
Soulless One - Fun, not good.
Noxious Ghoul - cleans up the board and clears the way for you to just swing out 1-2 people that turn. Expensive, but there are lots of little tricks that can really punish people for leaving him "alive"
Gempalm Polluter - more cycling never hurts, and returning it to hand then re-cycling it can often mean opponents lose 20 life in one turn. It only hits one person though and can draw a lot of heat because of that.
Plague Belcher - zombie aristocrats are pretty solid but require a little too much setup for a lot of situations. When it works, you're sacrificing everything to phyrexian altar then casting living death to win. When it doesn't, you're dropping a 5/4 and watching it sit there for 4 turns doing nothing.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/3Xaxc8zZSUmtdUDWVezA-A

I updated my list. Sideboard is cards i am waiting on, and i've also added a few cards in considering. No. I don't have Narfi or any of those. I don't run snow covered lands, not like it helps much.

I considered Fallen Ideal as a sacrifice outlet should i somehow not have access to anything else. Ashnod's gives me a bunch of mana should I need to pay a fat spell or an X card. works perfectly with Wilhelt and Poppet stitcher.

Exquisite Blood would be great as a lifegain source since a lot of this deck loves to drain my life so it would be pretty welcome if i decide to get that. I still really would like more lifegain sources if possible but that's pretty impossible since it's dimir.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm the kind of weirdo who destroys the value of my card collection by getting things signed and altered. I just wish McKinnon outed himself as a chud before I bought and traded for foils with his art on them and figuring out how to get them signed rather than get the regular version and get somebody to paint over them. The world isn't going to end either way though.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Just bring back Phil and Kaja for every card

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The way I look at it, me using a Seb playmat or having Mythos prints up in my office isn't going to convince someone to buy those things, because they can't anymore. And if someone asks I can tell them that he was a good artist before he went full chud.

That said my secret Santa got me a secretgp playmat and I can't wait for an opportunity to spring that on my opponent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Not sure what you mean, it's very pretty art, and would make a lovely playmat

Is there some sort of alternate world where Hanna has art other than the two versions from Double Masters and Invasion? ;)

Not my Hanna.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Heath posted:

Just bring back Phil and Kaja for every card

My Sorceress Queen playmat approves this message.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I just got in late on the Johannes Voss kickstarted playmats, so I’m a happy camper (as long as Johannes doesn’t reveal himself to be a fash weirdo for some reason).

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a good site to get a pdf I can send to staples to print out some quick-and-dirty proxies for a friend who is thinking about getting into CEDH? I don't really like the way Moxfield's look.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

They're a newer artist, but I like Tianhua X's art.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

fadam posted:

Is there a good site to get a pdf I can send to staples to print out some quick-and-dirty proxies for a friend who is thinking about getting into CEDH? I don't really like the way Moxfield's look.

Low effort with good enough results:

Copy/paste from scryfall into a Google doc, resize images to 2.5 inches wide.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I actually found this https://mtgprint.cardtrader.com/ which seems pretty cool.

I ordered a deck printed on 100 lb cardstock from Staples. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

TotalHell posted:

I just got in late on the Johannes Voss kickstarted playmats, so I’m a happy camper (as long as Johannes doesn’t reveal himself to be a fash weirdo for some reason).

I didn't actually know it was going on. That's what I was mentioning in my last post and I was too late there too. I wanted a Carpet of Flowers mat. :(

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Framboise posted:

I didn't actually know it was going on. That's what I was mentioning in my last post and I was too late there too. I wanted a Carpet of Flowers mat. :(

Go to the Kickstarter and ask to be added via the “Missed out? Contact us here!” button. That’s what I did last night and I got in and paid this morning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection

Actually I didn’t even technically ask to be added, I just asked to be alerted when they sold the extra in the Magic art store (since they said that’s what they’d do). And the manager of the project just…added me as a backer. So give it a try if you want that Carpet of Flowers mat! I’m super stoked to get my Dog Plains mat!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I loving love the grouchy old man who runs a nearby LGS and gives no fucks about street dates especially MTG related poo poo. Sold me 3 pre-release packs. Now I get to open them during work! :dance:

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Toshimo posted:

Not my Hanna.

i see what you did there

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TotalHell posted:

Go to the Kickstarter and ask to be added via the “Missed out? Contact us here!” button. That’s what I did last night and I got in and paid this morning.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection

Actually I didn’t even technically ask to be added, I just asked to be alerted when they sold the extra in the Magic art store (since they said that’s what they’d do). And the manager of the project just…added me as a backer. So give it a try if you want that Carpet of Flowers mat! I’m super stoked to get my Dog Plains mat!

I'll look into it, thanks!

Jiro posted:

I loving love the grouchy old man who runs a nearby LGS and gives no fucks about street dates especially MTG related poo poo. Sold me 3 pre-release packs. Now I get to open them during work! :dance:

Post ur pulls

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Also, to people who were as dumb as I was to miss out on the card before it spiked: Rhythm of the Wild is getting a reprint in the RG precon and is down to like 2bux. Snap it up, it's a cool card.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Hey commander thread! I just played a weekend full of commander so I've got the itch to build my own deck, now that my Sliver Me Timbers deck is complete.

I want to build a mill deck based around Grolnok. I've never built a mill deck, and also have only been playing commander for a few months; before they I stopped playing right when Planeswalkers came out. So... I don't have much commander knowledge, or a lot of 'new' card mechanics(Monstrous? wut), or even a lot of the basic cards (I think I own exactly one Sol Ring...).

Was hoping for tips/tricks to build the deck, and maybe if there's somewhere with a kind of beginner Commander knowledge, if that thing exists.

Oh and also, any recs for an online place to buy sleeves/card boxes? I want to get pirate themed stuff for my Slivers deck... :allears:

Thanks!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
1) google whatever your closest LGS is and see if you can order stuff online from a local retailer. If not, doesn’t Commander Mechanic (a goon) have a discount code for TCG player? I could have sworn they posted it before, support fam

2) New player Grolnok Heuristics

A) 37-ish lands, you want more than normal because it’s a panda matter deck

B) at least 10 ‘draw’ spells, at least 7-10 removal spells, maybe 4-5 mass removal spells, and probably at least 12-16 ramp spells. Look for stuff that synergises with Grolnok, but your fun and flavorful deck won’t really function in multiplayer without answers and mana.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Bust Rodd posted:

1) google whatever your closest LGS is and see if you can order stuff online from a local retailer. If not, doesn’t Commander Mechanic (a goon) have a discount code for TCG player? I could have sworn they posted it before, support fam

2) New player Grolnok Heuristics

A) 37-ish lands, you want more than normal because it’s a panda matter deck

B) at least 10 ‘draw’ spells, at least 7-10 removal spells, maybe 4-5 mass removal spells, and probably at least 12-16 ramp spells. Look for stuff that synergises with Grolnok, but your fun and flavorful deck won’t really function in multiplayer without answers and mana.

Yup, referral stuff for TCG Player and Hairy Tarantula (if you don’t mind your stuff coming from Canada).

All that is in the description of any of my videos on YouTube. I also have a Grolnok list & deck tech up there, just search for Commander Mechanic on the tubes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Most excellent, thanks for the tips!

I know the like absolute basics about Commander regarding ramping, general card ratios and whatnot, I guess I should've specified that more mechanics based tips/tricks were what I need help with, since I'm so fuckin out of the loop :psyduck: I just got my first Planeswalker, ever, yesterday in a trade, so :derp: I've got some random mill stuff here and there so I should see what I have available first, I guess!

Question though: I'm not quite sure what "new player Grolnok heuristics" is, is that a specific guide, or?

Balon posted:

just search for Commander Mechanic on the tubes.

Oh this channel looks right up my alley, +1 subscriber and I'm sure I'll use a referral link or two from you!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

This is the Grolnok deck Jon Suarez played back in November 2021: https://old.starcitygames.com/decks/154823

Might have some good ideas? I believe he won the match of Commander VS he played with it, whatever that's worth.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

This is the Grolnok deck Jon Suarez played back in November 2021: https://old.starcitygames.com/decks/154823

Might have some good ideas? I believe he won the match of Commander VS he played with it, whatever that's worth.

Excellent, also very helpful!

Dumb commander question: what does a "tribal" deck mean?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Johnny Truant posted:

A tribal deck is generally a deck built around a creature type, like zombie or elf or whatever

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Johnny Truant posted:

tribes are a specific "creature type matters" kind of deck like elves, goblins, zombies, etc - the game plan being to play that creature type until you can crush everyone with your horde of birds or whatever

they're typically an easy way to build synergies, lots of "lord" types that buff all the other minotaurs or whatever on your side are p standard to see in them

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Johnny Truant posted:

Tribal generally means a deck populated with cards consisting mostly of one creature type. It doesn't have to be strictly those. For example, I have a Marchesa, the Black Rose rogues tribal deck. She herself is not a rogue, but her colors and her abilities synergize well with them. I run a lot of cards that buff rogues.

You might also hear it used to describe a deck built around an archetype ("flying tribal," "board wipe tribal") but in general it's surrounding creature types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Batterypowered7 posted:

Let me preface this with: Thanks for recommending this and I'm not mad at you.

I hate basically everything about this deck and would recommend it to nobody.

It is completely unfocused. It has a ton of 4 and 5 card minithemes that don't pay off, a couple of non-bos, and worst of all, it doesn't seem to leverage the most interaction: getting spell effects off milled cards (for instance, MDFCs or 187s).

This is exacerbated by the SCG deck list basically being impossible to read, which is really annoying from a company that should know how to publish deck lists.

I think my biggest recommendation for making a list with this guy is to (A) pick 1 or 2 wincons (probably either labman variants or maybe a weird storm thing) and (B) avoid playing a bunch of meaningless mill durdles (Crop Sigil? Universal Automaton? Really?).