Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m normally all about the Olympics and I barely remembered they started. The 2021 summer games also were way down from 2016. Not sure if this is a permanent shift, or just because COVID is taking a lot of the fun out of everything.

COVID plus time zones plus the summer Olympics having just happened plus people hating China for a variety of reasons is not a recipe for ratings success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

COVID plus time zones plus the summer Olympics having just happened plus people hating China for a variety of reasons is not a recipe for ratings success.

I mean looking at it the decline for the summer games and these games are extremely close. So whatever crushed the summer game seems to be just the new normal

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i have to say it was whiplash during the summer to go from packed crowds for the nba finals to empty venues

also it used to be normal for the winter and summer to be months apart, but that was as late as 30 years ago

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
This isn't the least interested I've been, I used to skip the winter olympics all together like 10 years ago. But this year I'm not watching anything at all but curling, it's not like the last time where I'm like "okay let's try all this poo poo out."

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
https://nypost.com/2022/02/06/chicago-cubs-in-talks-to-launch-streaming-service-amid-resistance-from-mlb/

posted:

The Chicago Cubs are in talks with media giant Sinclair Broadcasting to launch a streaming service for customers without a cable or satellite-TV subscription — despite pushback from Major League Baseball on the idea, The Post has learned.

In a deal that insiders say could have league-wide implications, the Cubs and Sinclair are angling to launch the new service following a tough round of negotiations with cable-TV giant Comcast more than a year ago, which resulted in capping monthly fees for the Marquee Sports Network, the broadcaster of local Cubs games, according to sources close to the situation.

MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred is concerned that Sinclair, loaded down with debt after a series of big acquisitions, doesn’t have the cash needed to produce high-quality broadcasts, sources said. As exclusively reported by The Post, Manfred also has been angling to launch a league-wide streaming service as soon as next year.

One key point of concern for MLB, according to insiders, is the $18-a-month price tag that’s being floated for the new Cubs streaming service — a tab that’s higher than what users pay for streaming services like Netflix, HBO Max or Disney+ and which league officials fear will be too high for the average fan.

Sinclair counters it can get customers to pay the $18 once it has amassed streaming rights for 14 teams — nearly half of MLB’s franchises, according to sources close to the talks. The plan is for Sinclair’s Bally Sports to begin by airing games of teams whose rights it has recently secured, including the Detroit Tigers, Kansas City Royals, Miami Marlins, Milwaukee Brewers and Tampa Bay Rays games when it launches this summer.

Nevertheless, MLB wants to protect itself in case this direct-to-consumer service fails, especially given Sinclair’s wobbly financial condition, sources said. Its Diamond Sports unit, which in addition to Bally’s and the 50% Marquee stake owns a minority stake in the YES Network, owes nearly $9 billion in loans and its debt is trading at distressed levels with a value of about $5 billion. The principal comes due in 2026.

Despite such concerns, sources said Sinclair believes it can entice fans with its streaming service by making it more interactive and focused on gambling. Plans are to launch an app so fans can chat directly with the television announcers and participate in sweepstakes, a source said.

Sinclair would not take sports bets directly, but point during broadcasts to partners like Bally’s where viewers could watch games through a media player over their betting apps. The bet is that fantasy football has boosted NFL ratings and combining gaming with other sports should do the same.

“This would be like a picture within a picture,” according to a source briefed on Sinclair’s plans

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Scientists in a lab creating the least appealing product known to man: "What if we asked people to pay $18 / month to an awful corporation so they could watch the stripped-down Cubs play in 540p while the screen is cluttered with gambling ads and prompts encouraging them to tell Ryan Dempster when they think Jason Heyward will burst out of his slump"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Scientists in a lab creating the least appealing product known to man: "What if we asked people to pay $18 / month to an awful corporation so they could watch the stripped-down Cubs play in 540p while the screen is cluttered with gambling ads and prompts encouraging them to tell Ryan Dempster when they think Jason Heyward will burst out of his slump"

also boog sciambi will be involved

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

xbilkis posted:

Are you saying you’re not “enticed” by the larger focus on gambling? gently caress all of this gambling poo poo, the widespread legalization of sports betting has ruined watching anything sports related.

I’d at least consider paying that cost if it didn’t have a bunch of gambling poo poo tied to it, at least for part of the season. Kind of looks like they’re trying to make a streaming service to compete with MLBTV. They mention showing games for all of the other teams on current Sinclair deals. If I could watch like a dozen teams for $18/mo, it’s not a terrible deal. I’d probably get it for a couple months at least.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Can MLB eliminate blackout restrictions on their own or do they need to negotiate it with every RSN/channel carrying games? They could effectively nuke that project by just lifting the blackouts on mlbtv

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

$18 a month holy hell

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nodoze posted:

Can MLB eliminate blackout restrictions on their own or do they need to negotiate it with every RSN/channel carrying games? They could effectively nuke that project by just lifting the blackouts on mlbtv

The RSNs own the rights to the broadcasts.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

$18 a month holy hell

For what's going to amount to 1970s MLB broadcast quality plus ads covering 30 percent of the screen

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I could not imagine paying 18 dollars a month for one team.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I could justify it, with the simple understanding that it's only gonna be for 5-6 months or whatever.

People pay for the MLBtv, to just watch their own team, if they are out of market, and don't ever watch any other games.

There is probably a market for it, unless the stream quality is complete loving trash anyway.

But gently caress the Cubs, so whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That's also like 25 games, right? Less than a dollar a game isn't too bad (depending on the other stuff). Honestly, if they can group a couple of teams together and no blackouts would make this a superior offering in theory than any other sports package like that.

Again, assuming the quality and ads and poo poo isn't awful. I wonder what they'd do about announcers and stuff?
Edit: Oh, Duh. If it's Bailey they probably already have the announcer rights.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 7, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lockback posted:

That's also like 25 games, right? Less than a dollar a game isn't too bad (depending on the other stuff). Honestly, if they can group a couple of teams together and no blackouts would make this a superior offering in theory than any other sports package like that.

Again, assuming the quality and ads and poo poo isn't awful. I wonder what they'd do about announcers and stuff?
Edit: Oh, Duh. If it's Bailey they probably already have the announcer rights.

It would be like 150 games. Marquee (run by Sinclair) broadcasts every non-national game for the Cubs. I imagine the high cost per month is because they know it's going to be people signing up for 3-4 months and then cancelling. So they're trying to pay to keep this thing afloat when barely anyone is paying for it, unlike cable where you have a floor on monthly income.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dexo posted:

I could justify it, with the simple understanding that it's only gonna be for 5-6 months or whatever.

People pay for the MLBtv, to just watch their own team, if they are out of market, and don't ever watch any other games.

There is probably a market for it, unless the stream quality is complete loving trash anyway.

But gently caress the Cubs, so whatever.

You know there will be some dumb "1-year contract" bullshit in the agreement to get you to pay for the Winter months.

I could see it for a cord-cutter if the team was good, but I can't imagine much of a market for a 70-win team.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I like the lympycks

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

$18 a month holy hell

I mean, I pay more than that for cable, and basically only use that for baseball during the summer. So I can see the appeal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Patrick Spens posted:

I mean, I pay more than that for cable, and basically only use that for baseball during the summer. So I can see the appeal.
I guess if you aren’t using it for anything else, but if that’s not the case…

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Awful Announcing posted:

On Saturday, the NHL All-Star Game drew 1.146 million viewers on ABC. A day later, the Pro Bowl aired on ABC, ESPN, ESPN Deportes, and Disney XD, drawing 6.69 million viewers between the two networks.

This marks a decade and a half low for the Pro Bowl. As for the NHL, this is the league’s least-watched All-Star Game since 2009, with the caveat that several seasons in that time period did not have All-Star Games.

The decline in All-Star Game viewership across all sports is nothing new. Last summer, the MLB All-Star Game was the second least-watched in history (ahead of just 2019), while last winter’s NBA All-Star Game also hit a record-low.

Granted, this year’s Pro Bowl and NHL ASG had stout competition in the form of the Winter Olympics. The Saturday afternoon competition that went head to head with the NHL drew 4.294 million viewers on NBC, 2.633 million viewers on USA, and 559,000 viewers on CNBC. But you can’t blame it all on the Olympics: the NHL ASG got outdrawn head to head by a Michigan-Purdue college basketball game on Fox (1.337 million viewers), a Baylor-Kansas game on ESPN (1.170 million viewers), and golf on CBS (1.785 million viewers). That isn’t ideal!

As for the Pro Bowl, the only sporting event to top it over the course of the week was NBC’s four primetime Olympic windows, which all drew at least 7 million viewers. Head to head, the Pro Bowl just edged out the two Olympics broadcasts on NBC and USA (combined, 6.673 million viewers), and also fended off NASCAR’s Clash on Fox (2.564 million for qualifying head to head, 4.531 million for the race, which took place after the Pro Bowl’s conclusion).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
https://twitter.com/mikegolicjr/status/1491104682559033344

ESPN Radio is a graveyard.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a shame, Golic Jr. did a good job on color for the bowl games.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i don't pay a ton of attention to hockey but i literally had zero idea the ASG was this weekend

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

mactheknife posted:

i don't pay a ton of attention to hockey but i literally had zero idea the ASG was this weekend

Same. I’m surprised the pro bowl still drew that many viewers. It is the most pointless of the already pointless all star games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mactheknife posted:

The NHL abhors promoting its own product, and ESPN barely gives a poo poo more about it now than the last 2 decades when they didn’t have the rights.

This was, to be a little fair, quickly cobbled together when the NHL said they weren’t going to the Olympics but good lord

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
I searched around a bit for the NHL ASG on Saturday and couldn’t find it so I gave up

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DJExile posted:

This was, to be a little fair, quickly cobbled together when the NHL said they weren’t going to the Olympics but good lord

I’m going to guess that if they gave it to Turner and had more time to advertise it, they’d probably get a bigger number after a couple years.

But I’m also coming around to the idea that maybe the NHL and NFL all-star weekends should be more focused on skills or non-game things versus having a competitive game.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

harperdc posted:

I’m going to guess that if they gave it to Turner and had more time to advertise it, they’d probably get a bigger number after a couple years.

But I’m also coming around to the idea that maybe the NHL and NFL all-star weekends should be more focused on skills or non-game things versus having a competitive game.
Well part of the NFL's problem is Goodell absolutely insisting on shoehorning the Pro Bowl in between the conference championships and the Superbowl, because as far as I know most casual fans are just looking ahead to the Super Bowl at that point.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bird in a Blender posted:

Same. I’m surprised the pro bowl still drew that many viewers. It is the most pointless of the already pointless all star games.

My dad's random football texts, and the reminder that he's always said, "the best games are the playoffs," mean I've paid the most attention to the NFL in the past couple of months than I have in a while.

On top of having experienced a brain-breaking event a decade-ish ago where falling asleep in front of the NFL Channel's combine coverage was the most soothing thing possible for reasons I cannot explain.

Even I didn't bother with any of the pro bowl this year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
How do you make the pro bowl good? No one wants to get injured for a game that doesn't matter.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

How do you make the pro bowl good? No one wants to get injured for a game that doesn't matter.

They should turn it into some kind of "Battle of the Network Stars" type competition. Come up with like 20-30 games, stuff like horseshoes, cup-stacking races, to actual sports things like a home run derby, H.O.R.S.E, whatever might be fun to see a few NFL football players try and compete at. Have team captains for each conference like the NBA all-star game and have them pick who does which event (each player has to do at least 2). Final event has to a Nickelodeon tie-in Double Dare-esque obstacle course/relay race where every player must participate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I remember them having some silly side events years ago during the Pro Bowl like volleyball, but even with that some players still got hurt

I just don’t think something like a Pro Bowl is a good idea in a sport like football

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Combine NBA All Star Weekend and Pro Bowl Weekend.

Have the NBA players play flag football and the NFL players play basketball.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Well part of the NFL's problem is Goodell absolutely insisting on shoehorning the Pro Bowl in between the conference championships and the Superbowl, because as far as I know most casual fans are just looking ahead to the Super Bowl at that point.

nah its pretty much hosed either way

no one gives a poo poo about it before the super bowl or after the super bowl and no one's sticking the stupid thing in the middle of the season

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
the only "real" football that should happen pro bowl weekend should be a flag football or 7 on 7 kind of thing

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

The best part of the pro bowl was always the skills competition

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would watch the hell out of NFL caliber players doing 7 on 7 flag football out of pads.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh boy

https://twitter.com/jimmytraina/status/1491430267881504771?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
The definition of “Must See TV”