Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

You could probably pick up 3 tenths in the 1/4 by running 15 inch wheels and ditching the huge brakes but you wouldn’t be able to stop worth a poo poo.

This reminds me of the Model S Plaid. I think it might be the only car in the world that accelerates faster than it stops. It's criminal that Tesla put standard brakes on that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I feel like the endgame move for all these ultra low profile tires, huge wheels, and spokes, is a move back to just literal wagon wheels.

Hell maybe Dysentery will make a comeback too.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

This reminds me of the Model S Plaid. I think it might be the only car in the world that accelerates faster than it stops. It's criminal that Tesla put standard brakes on that thing.

That is because traction control/ABS is reserving some of the available traction for steering during emergency braking, the plaid brakes are still stronger than the motors.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

I feel like the endgame move for all these ultra low profile tires, huge wheels, and spokes, is a move back to just literal wagon wheels.
WhistlinDiesel already has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGOMT_D6A10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SRLBQ8trhk

And if that wasn't taking it far enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnt0pjz1_sk

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Yeah for people that aren't as into the performance aspect I think the regular Mach is a pretty great Tesla alternative. I was really happy with almost all other aspects of the car. If/when Ford gets their OTA poo poo straightened out it'll be even better, that was really my only other major complaint.

Are you keeping the BMW or getting rid of it?

Yeah, Tesla is out for me given their quality issues and Musk being a dipshit in general. $50k is really at the very top end of my budget since my work commute is 15 miles round trip and is almost all of my driving, so the other options I was really considering were the Volvo Recharge and Polestar 2 which are priced closer to $55-60k. Not a huge fan of the Kia/Hyundai.

I'm still not sure I'm going to follow through on the Mach-E, talked to the dealership today, they aren't marketing it up too much but with the delays I am really counting on the tax credit and socking some extra money away over the next 6 months to make this week, just seeing taxes and the dealer markup pushes it up over $56k, but I'm thinking with interest rates/expiring tax credits/used car prices, actually spending more money is a better overall financial decision.

BMW is going, actually, the reason I am leaning towards this is I have a year left on my battery warranty, and a out of warranty exotic BMW with a battery pack without a warranty seems like a ticking time bomb, I think the value of the car is probably higher if it still has some battery warranty left on it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, Tesla is out for me given their quality issues and Musk being a dipshit in general. $50k is really at the very top end of my budget since my work commute is 15 miles round trip and is almost all of my driving, so the other options I was really considering were the Volvo Recharge and Polestar 2 which are priced closer to $55-60k. Not a huge fan of the Kia/Hyundai.

I'm still not sure I'm going to follow through on the Mach-E, talked to the dealership today, they aren't marketing it up too much but with the delays I am really counting on the tax credit and socking some extra money away over the next 6 months to make this week, just seeing taxes and the dealer markup pushes it up over $56k, but I'm thinking with interest rates/expiring tax credits/used car prices, actually spending more money is a better overall financial decision.

BMW is going, actually, the reason I am leaning towards this is I have a year left on my battery warranty, and a out of warranty exotic BMW with a battery pack without a warranty seems like a ticking time bomb, I think the value of the car is probably higher if it still has some battery warranty left on it.

This is almost exactly where I am at in my decision making process (except I don't have a BMW). I actually think the Polestar 2 is closer to what I want, but there is no Polestar center anywhere close to Cincinnati so I crossed that off my list. I am currently leaning towards the Mach E.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I sat in a 2019 (iirc?) i3 at Carmax the other day when I was getting an appraisal, what a great funky interior.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lowen SoDium posted:

This is almost exactly where I am at in my decision making process (except I don't have a BMW). I actually think the Polestar 2 is closer to what I want, but there is no Polestar center anywhere close to Cincinnati so I crossed that off my list. I am currently leaning towards the Mach E.

there's probably a local volvo dealer to provide service support

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I sat in a 2019 (iirc?) i3 at Carmax the other day when I was getting an appraisal, what a great funky interior.

Yeah, I really love my i3, it just seems really financially imprudent to keep it. Also did an online appraisal for Carmax, they offered me $16,000 for my 2014 i3 (2015 delivery) which is significantly over bluebook value. I need to do some more research on value though considering I am counting on selling the i3 to make the Mach-E make financial sense. Given their construction and general rarity, I strongly suspect they might have more value parted out than as straight used cars.

And just to be clear, when I say cost considerations, I can very much afford a $56k car, but there is the money opportunity cost that I need to consider with a 15 mile commute. If I had an hour+ 60 mile commute I might look at the cost very differently.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

I always loved the body/aesthetics on the i3, and suicide/minidoors are great if you use your back seat for groceries and gear instead of children. But the range always killed my interest.

I really wish Honda would bring the e to the US. That's such a fun-looking little car.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's probably a local volvo dealer to provide service support

There is a local Volvo dealer, but Polestar doesn't list that as a service center on their page. It says the nearest authorized center in in Detroit and that is farther than the 150 mile radius that they provide free service transportation too.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Fwiw I was prepared to find a ton of defects on my 3 when I picked it up over a month ago and everything was perfectly fine. So either I got lucky or they’ve fixed their issues mostly

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The low end Lightning has 18" wheels. Midrange is 20". The top trim comes with 22"!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Should be on spinners which store kinetic energy and release it when you pull away.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I really wish Honda would bring the e to the US. That's such a fun-looking little car.

I am not a "buy a new car" person but if the Honda E came to the US i'd buy it in a heartbeat

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

So the EV6 my parents reserved came in a week early and I guess they went down today to check it out, decide if they wanted it and sign all that paperwork. Looks like they decided to go ahead with it, though they're not taking it home until tomorrow, and for anyone else looking at the EV6 they could confirm 100% it did not come with a lvl 1 charge cable, which the dealership also thought was weird. The dealership also apparently didn't know anything about the car, and thought the vehicle to load adapter was a charging adapter to plug an extension cord into (that I guess would have to use a male-to-male extension cable??? why would they think this...), and apparently aren't getting their training from KIA until later this week.

They also didn't know the lvl 2 chargepoint flex charger, that was a gift with the first edition models, was something they had. They thought it was a voucher to buy them until my parents asked them to check their parts inventory and indeed had gotten 2 of the chargers at some point in the last week or two, so they'll at least have that though it will be a week until its installed.

I can't wait to see it in person next time i visit them as the size of this thing in pictures and video has always thrown me off and I'm interested in how chonky it looks in the flesh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Excited to see more! In all models you have the V2L adapter which plugs into the charge inlet, and just gives you an electric outlet. If it's like the Ioniq 5, the top trims will also have a plug inside the cabin by the rear seats.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

So the EV6 my parents reserved came in a week early and I guess they went down today to check it out, decide if they wanted it and sign all that paperwork. Looks like they decided to go ahead with it, though they're not taking it home until tomorrow, and for anyone else looking at the EV6 they could confirm 100% it did not come with a lvl 1 charge cable, which the dealership also thought was weird. The dealership also apparently didn't know anything about the car, and thought the vehicle to load adapter was a charging adapter to plug an extension cord into (that I guess would have to use a male-to-male extension cable??? why would they think this...), and apparently aren't getting their training from KIA until later this week.

DoubleT2172 posted:

I am not a "buy a new car" person but if the Honda E came to the US i'd buy it in a heartbeat

Somehow I doubt that :)

I mean it's really cool but it's a pretty poor value proposition, you're getting a limited range and performance for the amount you're paying.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 9, 2022

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Charles posted:

Excited to see more! In all models you have the V2L adapter which plugs into the charge inlet, and just gives you an electric outlet. If it's like the Ioniq 5, the top trims will also have a plug inside the cabin by the rear seats.

OK so looking at the specs (https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/ev6/2022/features), Light doesn't have any of the V2L features, and the rest have it both inside and out. I'm wondering if you could just buy the adapter for the Light version though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Charles posted:

OK so looking at the specs (https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/models/ev6/2022/features), Light doesn't have any of the V2L features, and the rest have it both inside and out. I'm wondering if you could just buy the adapter for the Light version though.

I have to imaging you could. It seems like it would be way more expensive to have multiple electronics systems for the trims, some without the internal hardware for V2L, than to just not want to include the adapter and its case.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Charles posted:

Since the Light model doesn't have the internal port either I'd assume it doesn't have the mains inverter hardware at all and you'd need to add that to be able to use the V2L external adapter. Whether adding that would just be a matter of getting the parts and hooking it up to existing harnesses or if it would require more complicated rewiring is of course up in the air.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I will make them.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

well it does say on that page the light has the "cargo power outlet", so it must have the internal one under seats then, which would also lend to the idea you could just buy the adapter if you really wanted it. woops looks liek the underseat one is actually listed as "2nd row V2L outlet (under seat) ", i'm not sure what the cargo power outlet is then.

Honestly the V2L stuff would be a lot more interesting in 240v countries than in the US. In the use you're limited to 1900w output, but in 240v places it can output 3800w which would be enough to seriously consider running stuff during a blackout if there was a home hardware to somehow tie all that together.

Still, nice to have that there, I suppose they could charge up their ebikes just fine on vacation if they needed to. Thats about the only realistic use I can see for that to be honest. I mean with like a truck you can picture running power equipment as stuff like a job site generator, but I don't think you're going to be taking the EV6 around to construction sites.

The ad material always shows people camping running movie projectors and stuff but, lol who actually does that?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

Bigger number better. Do you want to be the one selling 18s when everyone else has 19

22"s seem to be fairly common on those Tesla Model Y Performance - which is not a very large vehicle at all. It's nuts.

oh it's BMW X5 with the 22"s .....also not a HUUUGGE vehicle.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 9, 2022

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Keyser_Soze posted:

22"s seem to be fairly common on those Tesla Model Y Performance - which is not a very large vehicle at all. It's nuts.

I bet rim manufacturers love the repeat business from customers that live in places where the road infrastructure crumbles every winter.

Also I think it's 21" for the Model Y.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

I have 21" on my MYP fyi.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

wolrah posted:

Since the Light model doesn't have the internal port either I'd assume it doesn't have the mains inverter hardware at all and you'd need to add that to be able to use the V2L external adapter. Whether adding that would just be a matter of getting the parts and hooking it up to existing harnesses or if it would require more complicated rewiring is of course up in the air.
The inverter is the main battery inverter, so it has that, and only the top trim Ioniq has the inside plug, so I think just getting the adapter would do it. Hopefully we'll see if it's available as an accessory or if someone with a higher trim can loan one to test.

Tom Guycot posted:

well it does say on that page the light has the "cargo power outlet", so it must have the internal one under seats then, which would also lend to the idea you could just buy the adapter if you really wanted it. woops looks liek the underseat one is actually listed as "2nd row V2L outlet (under seat) ", i'm not sure what the cargo power outlet is then.

Honestly the V2L stuff would be a lot more interesting in 240v countries than in the US. In the use you're limited to 1900w output, but in 240v places it can output 3800w which would be enough to seriously consider running stuff during a blackout if there was a home hardware to somehow tie all that together.

Still, nice to have that there, I suppose they could charge up their ebikes just fine on vacation if they needed to. Thats about the only realistic use I can see for that to be honest. I mean with like a truck you can picture running power equipment as stuff like a job site generator, but I don't think you're going to be taking the EV6 around to construction sites.

The ad material always shows people camping running movie projectors and stuff but, lol who actually does that?

Cargo outlet is just a 12v cigarette lighter style outlet.

I'm guessing you could probably import a Schuko adapter but that doesn't have split phase so might not be all that useful for us.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

I will make them.

Looking forward to the latest goon project.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What would happen if you just made a CCS to CCS cable and plugged two cars into each other? Probably nothing I'd guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Local dealer has a Taycan 4S for 142k MSRP which is basically exactly what all five of our cars are worth together thinking about getting all five of them down in their customer lot at once and trying to trade straight across.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
If you attach two electric cars to each other the law of entropy says that they’ll just balance out. Science nerds ITT don’t need to chime in.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

You can always upgrade the brakes for $20k.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Can anyone confirm if the Ford dealer was blowing smoke up my rear end, or probably, how much?

Basically what I said is 6 months is a long time to wait on a car, and a lot can change between then and now and I don't want to be stuck with a $45k car loan if some circumstances change. He said that it sucks for dealerships right now because they are basically prioritizing Lightening and Mach-Es over everything right now and they are giving dealerships little to no way to mark them up nor order them for themselves, that they are completely prioritizing pre-orders made by direct consumers and very fixed on the profit that they are allowed to make on them.

Basically, don't worry, we would be LOVE to be "stuck" with you car and sell it at a markup to someone else instead of you, our B2B truck business is in the trash right now because all Ford wants to do is prioritize consumer sales over our bread and butter.

Which seems to check out, but sounds, un-Ford like.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

Can anyone confirm if the Ford dealer was blowing smoke up my rear end, or probably, how much?

Basically what I said is 6 months is a long time to wait on a car, and a lot can change between then and now and I don't want to be stuck with a $45k car loan if some circumstances change. He said that it sucks for dealerships right now because they are basically prioritizing Lightening and Mach-Es over everything right now and they are giving dealerships little to no way to mark them up nor order them for themselves, that they are completely prioritizing pre-orders made by direct consumers and very fixed on the profit that they are allowed to make on them.

Basically, don't worry, we would be LOVE to be "stuck" with you are and sell it at a markup to someone else instead of you, our B2B truck business is in the trash right now because all Ford wants to do is prioritize consumer sales over our bread and butter.

Which seems to check out, but sounds, un-Ford like.

If you order the car and don’t want it later they will happily sell it to someone else, probably with a markup. That is how we got ours. You’re under no obligation to buy the car when it comes in.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

They absolutely 100% want you to order a car and back out so that they can put it on the lot with a 20,000 dollar Additional Dealer Markup.

The important part is to get it in writing that they'll sell to you at MSRP or whatever price you're agreeing on, otherwise there's a non zero chance they'll also tell you that you get to pay the extra 20k also. Also that your deposit is refundable because even though they want you to back out they also want to keep your deposit when you back out.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

President Beep posted:

If you attach two electric cars to each other the law of entropy says that they’ll just balance out. Science nerds ITT don’t need to chime in.

You need to be careful how you do this! If you attach + to -, both batteries will short out and you won't be able to charge your iPod anymore!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
daisy-chaining vehicles at charging stations is the next innovation

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you order the car and don’t want it later they will happily sell it to someone else, probably with a markup. That is how we got ours. You’re under no obligation to buy the car when it comes in.

Did you have any consideration on specs? I live in Texas and not a zoom zoomie driver so I really don't see the need for AWD, never had it, and don't plan on taking to car on road trips. $6,000 for 53 extra miles of range seems like a shockingly bad deal and 5.8 0-60 seems MORE than enough, all my driving is urban and a both love the acceleration of my i3 and everyone remarks about how shocked about how zippy it is, and it's slower than the Mach-E.

Husband really liked the white with the black interior, white just struck me as very soccer mom and I was worried about interior heat from the glass roof in Texas, especially with non-ventilated pleather seats (Never thought I would ever consider pleather). I went with the red exterior because that basically seems to be Ford's marketing color.

My plan is to keep this at least 7 years, so went with Premium so I didn't feel any regret in that on getting a feature, if I had it all to do over again I would have gotten the HK sound in my otherwise completely maxed out i3.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Where's the master-slave jumper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Three Olives posted:

Did you have any consideration on specs? I live in Texas and not a zoom zoomie driver so I really don't see the need for AWD, never had it, and don't plan on taking to car on road trips. $6,000 for 53 extra miles of range seems like a shockingly bad deal and 5.8 0-60 seems MORE than enough, all my driving is urban and a both love the acceleration of my i3 and everyone remarks about how shocked about how zippy it is, and it's slower than the Mach-E.

Husband really liked the white with the black interior, white just struck me as very soccer mom and I was worried about interior heat from the glass roof in Texas, especially with non-ventilated pleather seats (Never thought I would ever consider pleather). I went with the red exterior because that basically seems to be Ford's marketing color.

My plan is to keep this at least 7 years, so went with Premium so I didn't feel any regret in that on getting a feature, if I had it all to do over again I would have gotten the HK sound in my otherwise completely maxed out i3.

We would have taken either an AWD or RWD with the extended range battery and premium package. We ended up with a RWD which was the preference due to the better range and no real need for AWD or better acceleration. Personally I think the big battery will hold its value better and it gives more margin during winter when the range is already lower, so that’s what we went with. It’s also our only vehicle so the extra range for longer drives was highly desirable.

It’s been a really good car so far and we are happy with the choice. Wife preferred it over the ID.4 after the test drive and we plan to keep it for a long time so the extra 10k wasn’t a deal breaker.

We ended up paying a 2.5k markup but I wanted to get it before the end of 2021 to get the tax credit, and the value I got from selling my old car to Vroom more than covered the markup.