Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boba Pearl posted:

Sorry, couldn't resist the lussy.

That lichy nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Phylactussy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

christmas boots posted:

I figured they were demi liches because there's less lich

This is correct. They're supposed to be basically senescent liches that have just lost a lot of everything, but particularly due to the soul-draining mechanic and the popularity of Acererak they turned into "liches, but more powerful."

e: and this isn't a new thing, it goes back to at least 2e (so D&D as played in the 90s basically)

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004

moonmazed posted:

yeah it takes them ages to find a phylactery

No this is just my tantric lich, a former manticore bard named Sting

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/jonallen93_/status/1491333769886040064?t=smgD9XPLi5bMsY-0m8zylQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/jonallen93_/status/1491336706469285891?t=fYGt523y8Hwuy7-vhKfmcA&s=19

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1491441851748204546

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who hosed the lich?!

Buddy,

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Proving why veterans are a protected class

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

The dude from Elf? Fair play, that is a sequel I did not see coming.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Military genius lmao.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

OwlFancier posted:

Military genius lmao.

A land invasion of Russia is going to work this time, I swear

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OwlFancier posted:

Military genius lmao.

Ahh yeah, that genius of a military move of invading Russia in the Winter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LUUk6wVNrY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not sure there is any military decision hitler made that didn't make things worse for germany, and the more of them he made and the more directly he got involved, the worse his decisions became.

Like, maybe in isolation the invasion of Poland, but if you view that as the inevitable result of the same mindset that led him to try and invade everywhere else, it's still in the long run a bad decision for him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pththya-lyi posted:

A land invasion of Russia is going to work this time, I swear

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SiKboy posted:

The dude from Elf? Fair play, that is a sequel I did not see coming.

Bye, Buddy! Hope you gently caress that lich!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Supposedly this is one of the greatest info graphics ever, but I'm not sure I buy it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

moonmazed posted:

yeah it takes them ages to find a phylactery

soul cage
phylacteries are irl Jewish prayer garb, D&D is finally catching up to how it was never cool to use that word for imaginary creepy magic stuff

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

AlbieQuirky posted:

soul cage
phylacteries are irl Jewish prayer garb, D&D is finally catching up to how it was never cool to use that word for imaginary creepy magic stuff

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Already gone.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The history is a little squishy on that one. It's a Greek word meaning protectant that was used to describe the Jewish prayer garb, but was later used to describe other kinds of spiritual or religiously important holders, including Christian reliquaries. In Hebrew the prayer boxes are called teffilin, so it's stealing a word that someone else used to describe teffilin among other things. It's still probably best to change it, but I do think using weird Greek words gives it kind of an ancient vibe even if that's a loaded word.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Scratch Monkey posted:

Who hosed the lich?!
It happens.

Think there was a whole prestige class about it too, idk where my copy of the Book of Vile Darkness is tho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

The history is a little squishy on that one. It's a Greek word meaning protectant that was used to describe the Jewish prayer garb, but was later used to describe other kinds of spiritual or religiously important holders, including Christian reliquaries. In Hebrew the prayer boxes are called teffilin, so it's stealing a word that someone else used to describe teffilin among other things. It's still probably best to change it, but I do think using weird Greek words gives it kind of an ancient vibe even if that's a loaded word.

I was going to ask what the actual thing it's describing is because I assumed it would be in greek whatever it was.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know that.

It’s not quite true. Phylactery can mean a holy Christian relic (for example it was very common to carry the “bones of a saint” around as a good luck charm) as well as Jewish tefilim. Both of these uses are legitimate and go back centuries.

The problem is that Gary Gygax conflated the two pretty hard in the use in D&D, so the meaning and the ideas are pretty tainted. The origin idea of a lich is from Koschei the Deathless in Russian myth, and the naming of a “phylactery” comes much later (in the 1e MM I think from the last time Trad Games fought about this, which is after the lich’s introduction in I think Supplement 1: Greyhawk and after Len Lakofka solidified a bunch of lich stuff in a Dragon magazine article).

So the idea of a “lich has a place where their soul is stored” as a phylactery in and of itself isn’t bad or wrong. However, in the same edition Gygax defines a phylactery in both forms (there’s a list of fantasy word definitions in the DMG) and then the Jewish meaning of phylactery as a carried holy text is used as a magic item (specifically the phylactery of faithfulness). When you get to 3e (so the 2000s edition of D&D) this gets rewritten onto the lich’s phylactery itself, which is also listed as being the form/meaning as a Jewish tefilim.

In other words, it’s something that tabletop RPGs are moving away from using (soul cage is what Pathfinder/Paizo is going to) because it’s so inextricably messed up, but someone just saying “the lich’s phylactery” may not be invoking Jewish holy symbols intentionally, and may have no idea of that meaning because there is a clear through line and definition that doesn’t have anything to do with Judaism.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
"soul cage" seems so mundane for what's supposed to be some kind of ancient and obscure magic. Change it sure, but find something cooler.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Borrovan posted:

It happens.

Think there was a whole prestige class about it too, idk where my copy of the Book of Vile Darkness is tho

Lichloved is a prerequisite for Thrall of Orcus, the prestige class in the same book about dedicating yourself to Orcus, the demon lord of undeath.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Feb 9, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

christmas boots posted:

"soul cage" seems so mundane for what's supposed to be some kind of ancient and obscure magic. Change it sure, but find something cooler.

You could just nick some more greek and call it a necrolekythos or something.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

According to https://palliative.stanford.edu/home-hospice-home-care-of-the-dying-patient/where-do-americans-die/ 60% of Americans die in hospitals. Therefore, we should ban all hospitals.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

Already gone.

It was up for 10 hours before getting traction! It’s a player for what are now known as the Washington Commanders saying if he could have dinner with three people he’d choose his grandpa, Michael Jackson and Hitler “because he was a military genius” and he wants to understand why he did what he did.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Scratch Monkey posted:

Bye, Buddy! Hope you gently caress that lich!

:perfect: I appreciated this.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Nebrilos posted:

According to https://palliative.stanford.edu/home-hospice-home-care-of-the-dying-patient/where-do-americans-die/ 60% of Americans die in hospitals. Therefore, we should ban all hospitals.
Conservatives also think hospitals intentionally kill people to collect "covid money" so reality is once again dumber than a joke.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

You could just nick some more greek and call it a necrolekythos or something.

yeah, now we're getting somewhere

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Borrovan posted:

It happens.

Lichloved suggests the possibility of getting lichpregnant, so it's possible to build a character that's a real son of a lich.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
five seconds on google translate: soul cage -> klouvipsychis

hire me wizards

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

As part of an ad campaign for their new sports bras, adidas posted an image of a bunch of bare-chested women who aren't models and large parts of the internet are just losing their poo poo. Link here (:nws: obviously).

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 9, 2022

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ultrafilter posted:

As part of an ad campaign for their new sports bras, adidas posted an image of a bunch of bare-chested women who aren't models and large parts of the internet are just losing their poo poo. Link here (:nws: obviously).

wrong link

Though Zuck is pretty :nms:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like... people who aren't normally hired for modelling work or people who did not consent to be models for the advert..?

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Like... people who aren't normally hired for modelling work or people who did not consent to be models for the advert..?

I googled and it's the former. According to some news website people were criticizing it for being exploitative/'sex sells' or because they weren't doing the same campaign with jock straps so it's misandrist, or whatever.

I did not go to Twitter and see the probably far more depressing reasons people are actually losing their poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

wrong link

Though Zuck is pretty :nms:

Fixed.

Weldon Pemberton posted:

I googled and it's the former. According to some news website people were criticizing it for being exploitative/'sex sells' or because they weren't doing the same campaign with jock straps so it's misandrist, or whatever.

I did not go to Twitter and see the probably far more depressing reasons people are actually losing their poo poo.

Yeah, not typical models. If a major company had posted topless photos of women who didn't consent to be posted my description would've been pretty different.

Both of those are reasons why people are upset but there's also a very vocal contingent who hate being forced to look at women they don't find attractive.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

If we have medicare for all, then literally 100% of people that die of with covid will be on medicare.

This is the future dems want??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's just a bog-standard "all boobs are beautiful" ad. who the gently caress is on the internet and has never seen one of those before?