Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

yeah americans can gently caress off and wallow in their own poo poo, we're perfectly capable of ruining this country on our own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How openly our foreign policy is being steered by revanchist Ukrainian national mythology has me believing in the Great Man theory of history again. I don’t know if she sees herself as Canada’s Bismark, but I get the impression that she’s steering the ship of state, including to war if she likes.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the seeds of that poo poo were sown before freeland was born. shes not the cause of any of this. history made her

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CLAM DOWN posted:

yeah americans can gently caress off and wallow in their own poo poo, we're perfectly capable of ruining this country on our own

i am no poo poo happily now leaving this thread for good because of this past page of posts, you guys take it easy up there

remember me if you need a texan for some bizarre reason but enjoy your lives and pour one up for me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Christ finally

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Frosted Flake posted:

What’s the deal with Margaret? Usually that level of national embarrassment and personal indiscretion, besides being a security risk, is not the kind of thing you’d think would be allowed to go on.

Trudeau couldn’t rein her in? Her family? The RCMP?

Her husband was Quebecois so when she got the chance to be around humans she obviously took it.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

even as a joke... just oof

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

CaptainACAB posted:

Her husband was Quebecois so when she got the chance to be around humans she obviously took it.

HEY!

(:ohdear: he knows…)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

jsoh posted:

the seeds of that poo poo were sown before freeland was born. shes not the cause of any of this. history made her

yeah this, she isn't driving the ship of state, social history is driving her

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

vyelkin posted:

she is still a nazi heir tho

fake e: which proves the point really. that’s why she’s being elevated

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Waffle House posted:

i am no poo poo happily now leaving this thread for good because of this past page of posts, you guys take it easy up there

remember me if you need a texan for some bizarre reason but enjoy your lives and pour one up for me

ladies and gentleman, we got em

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

On lui a eu

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is pepsi still used as an insult anywhere in Canada

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

actionjackson posted:

boomers call montrealers pepsis because a Montreal breakfast is a cigarette and a pepsi, so the story goes

I married a Quebecker and when I told her this she said “hein???”

e: fuckn autocorrect

a primate has issued a correction as of 19:41 on Feb 9, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

actionjackson posted:

I don't know. You should go to Quebec and find out!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/ChalicothereX/status/1491470053790793730

lol

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1491467062744604684

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
does it count as a faction trying to overthrow the government if the protest organizers release official statements of their goals and number one is "overthrow the government"?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a primate posted:

boomers call montrealers pepsis because a Montreal breakfast is a cigarette and a pepsi, so the story goes

I had heard it had to do with coke being a bit more costly in canada, so pepsi was "lower class" or something

https://maisonneuve.org/post/2010/02/4/how/

quote:

The lexicography team for the Canadian Oxford Dictionary tell me the epithet “pepsi” derives from the belief, first held by Quebec anglos in the late forties, that their French-speaking counterparts swilled Pepsi because they were too poor to afford Coke (which was marginally more expensive).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i assumed it was just francophobia. i was told that pepsi just actually bothered making ads targeting francophones, thus making it more popular in francophone parts of canada and assholes took it from there

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

a primate posted:

hey now, sometimes we have a bagel instead and then get really haughty about which store we bought the bagel from

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I feel blessed that I grew up english in a french montreal neighboorhood. I was always the only english guy on my hockey team and we played in a house league where all the other teams were mostly english. I caught poo poo all the time no matter what language I spoke lol

But I really learned to speak french well in those locker rooms.

e: I should add that my entire loving career is based on speaking french in english Canada, with my B.A. coming in a not so close second.

Another Bill has issued a correction as of 20:04 on Feb 9, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

vyelkin posted:

Intervention to the point of deploying military forces to support The Ukraine isn’t something baked into the history of either Canadian Society or the Liberal Party though, right? She introduced that and Trudeau’s (weak?) leadership let her make that a cornerstone of our foreign policy. Even in terms of personality, from what I’ve heard Trudeau is the polite, gentlemanly, personable Wilhelm to Freeland’s tough and domineering Bismarck.

Unless you mean Mackenzie King taking in all the collaborators to crush the Canadian left set the stage for inordinate influence in Canadian politics and a confrontation with Russia down the line, and if not her some Ukrainian Canadian from an influential emigre family was going to climb the ranks of the Liberal Party, which as “Canada’s Natural Party of Government” would eventually attain power, and because NATO continued to exist, would eventually lead to a confrontation with Russia.

I can see that, in a way, but it seems like she’s managed to both accumulate power and use it in pursuit of her project in a way that was not overdetermined as Canada’s path into the 21st century. Chrétien and Martin both managed to keep us out of Iraq, which would have seemed to be a much more natural policy move than a battlegroup in the Baltic.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

mediaphage posted:

i assumed it was just francophobia. i was told that pepsi just actually bothered making ads targeting francophones, thus making it more popular in francophone parts of canada and assholes took it from there

ICI, C'EST PEPSI

gently caress off

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Intervention to the point of deploying military forces to support The Ukraine isn’t something baked into the history of either Canadian Society or the Liberal Party though, right? She introduced that and Trudeau’s (weak?) leadership let her make that a cornerstone of our foreign policy. Even in terms of personality, from what I’ve heard Trudeau is the polite, gentlemanly, personable Wilhelm to Freeland’s tough and domineering Bismarck.

Unless you mean Mackenzie King taking in all the collaborators to crush the Canadian left set the stage for inordinate influence in Canadian politics and a confrontation with Russia down the line, and if not her some Ukrainian Canadian from an influential emigre family was going to climb the ranks of the Liberal Party, which as “Canada’s Natural Party of Government” would eventually attain power, and because NATO continued to exist, would eventually lead to a confrontation with Russia.

I can see that, in a way, but it seems like she’s managed to both accumulate power and use it in pursuit of her project in a way that was not overdetermined as Canada’s path into the 21st century. Chrétien and Martin both managed to keep us out of Iraq, which would have seemed to be a much more natural policy move than a battlegroup in the Baltic.

You're overthinking it. It isn't about her as an individual politician, it's about the influence of Canada's right-wing Ukrainian diaspora, which makes up about 4% of the Canadian population and is extremely politically active and influential for all the reasons you laid out. Even without a person of Ukrainian descent in a position of foreign policy influence, Canada would be supportive of Ukraine for that reason. Hell, if you look back to the Harper years, Harper was also extremely supportive of Ukraine, to the point of "confronting" Putin over it, which most people laughed at but which played extremely well with Ukrainian-Canadian conservatives in Western Canada. It's a consistent aspect of Canadian foreign policy, it has been across multiple governments, it would be with or without Freeland as foreign minister, and it's rooted in the social history of Canada's Ukrainian diaspora more than the individual personalities of any one politician at the top.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

her own ambitions are not irrelevant to her career path but her ascent has a lot to do with current geo politics and who her ideological goals align her with. individuals aren’t irrelevant to history, but the arcs are drawn by class interests, not individual vision

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean hell deployment of Canadian troops to Ukraine started way back in 2015 and as far as I know the numbers haven't changed much since then: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ukraine-crisis-canada-sending-200-trainers-for-ukraine-military-1.3031806

Freeland hasn't actually materially changed Canadian policy towards Ukraine or Russia at all, she just talks about it differently because she has a personal connection where Harper or Baird didn't, but the politics are the same for both governments.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think this is his first actual apology, and not "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

somewhere along the line greenwald really became an insufferable dickhead

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
nuke ukraine

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

the white house press secretary is being asked about the ambassador bridge disruption

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

somewhere along the line greenwald really became an insufferable dickhead

Starts with Peter and ends with Thiel

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

Do not even ask posted:

even as a joke... just oof

Quebecios are by far the worst honkies.

They go on and on endlessly about how oppressed and aggrieved they are and how their beautiful culture of putting gravy on fries and being racist is threatened, and the Canadian government bends over backwards to appease these baying acadian psychopaths while literally bulldozing native children into mass graves.

These are a "people" so odious that even the French cannot stand them. They're American Boers. They should be ground into a paste and used as fertilizer when the land is given back to the indigenous Canadians.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

CaptainACAB posted:

They go on and on endlessly about how oppressed and aggrieved they are and how their beautiful culture of putting gravy on fries and being racist is threatened, and the Canadian government bends over backwards to appease these baying acadian psychopaths while literally bulldozing native children into mass graves.

These are a "people" so odious that even the French cannot stand them. They're American Boers. They should be ground into a paste and used as fertilizer when the land is given back to the indigenous Canadians.

lol cool

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

gravy on fries is good, actually

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

CaptainACAB posted:

8 000 000 people and they're literally all the same, yeap

gently caress off lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Powershift posted:

I think this is his first actual apology, and not "I'm sorry if anyone was offended"

This is the first one that likely had consequences in his personal life

e: What’s up with the old school Anglo tirade against the uncouth and superstitious Quebecers? That’s something you don’t see much these days.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Seems pretty on point? Quebec has some mad racist laws. Like their law against religious symbols that only applies to hijab and niqab.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

CaptainACAB posted:

yankee go home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

CLAM DOWN posted:

ladies and gentleman, we got em