Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fire Storm posted:

So new system, upgraded cooler works great, I'm just having frame rate issues with one of the games I play, Dyson Sphere Program where I am getting 1-5 FPS towards the endgame. CPU is around 40% (individual cores don't go above 60%), memory utilization is at 30gb for this game. My fans are in auto mode and they don't even noticeably speed up.

Other than this, I normally play Stellaris and other games where I thought my main bottleneck was cpu and ram, and even my old system (gen5 i5, 16gb) ran Cyberpunk, FarCry and Just Cause fine enough (with most graphics options turned down)

I am looking at the comparison sites for the insanely priced cards, what extremely obvious point am I missing since the specs looks like the top notch cards "only" 3-6x faster than my current card? I want something faster, but I don't see a point in dropping $1200 for a rtx 3070 ti for "only" 3-6x fps increase. I get the feeling it boils down to "It's only 3-6x faster FPS, but each frame looks AMAZING," but I guess I want to hear someone else say it.

That 3 - 6x number isn't too far off from the truth despite how poo poo UserBenchmark is, but also no, the frames won't look better at those higher frame rates. That number is ostensibly derived from apples-to-apples comparisons where graphics settings are normalized. Though I'm not really sure what you're looking for here if a 3 - 6x performance boost isn't enough since that's often the difference between perfectly smooth and literally unplayable. What you should do is read reviews for the latest GPUs, see how the full lineup available performs in the latest games, and make your own judgment for what you need. Try looking at the benchmarks in the 3080 12GB reviews for instance (Techspot, Guru3D). And if you don't care about graphically demanding AAA titles, then you don't need a new GPU.

Right now, one of the most reliable ways of buying a new GPU is through a bundle with other components like power supplies and stuff. EVGA runs a "build your own bundle" kind of thing through their own site with some (relatively) reasonably-priced 30-series GPUs being restocked near-daily at around noon to 2pm EST. They had a 3070 Ti for $830 that stayed available for a few hours each day. Antonline often has bundles too, from EVGA or Gigabyte, though they're a bit more expensive than EVGA's own bundle service. Micro Center has barebones systems that you can use as the basis of a new build. NZXT sells whole "build kits," which include everything you need to build a PC, or you can get GPUs through Newegg's custom PC build service where they build whole PCs for you. As of a couple days ago you could get a system with a 3070 and a 12th-gen Intel CPU for like $1700, though product availability comes and goes quickly.

Obviously this isn't very helpful since you've just built the rest of the system, but maybe you could try to sell off the extra poo poo you get. If you don't want to bother, then Micro Center is still getting one or two GPU shipments a week as far as I'm aware (you have to show up ~20 minutes before they open and they put you in a randomized queue with everyone else who shows up), or you'll have to play the newegg shuffle every day or haunt stock drop alert discords for a desperate chance at snagging a GPU from an online best buy drop or something. Whatever you do, please don't buy a $1200 3070 Ti from a scalper. That's way too much to pay for that card.

edit: I've read your post again and I think I understand you a little better now. Because you can run the most demanding games out there like CP2077 at "fine enough" frame rates, you're not sure what 3- 6x more performance will give you. In that case yeah, you'd basically be going from 30fps to 90 - 120fps on low-medium settings at 1080p in cyberpunk which may not mean much to you, but it also means being able to run that game at 60+ fps with ultra settings enabled at 1440p, or the option to do 4K with DLSS even. It really comes down to how much you value visual fidelity and higher resolutions. I also want to point out that the 3070 is usually the better value over the 3070 Ti, when it's available.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 7, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fire Storm posted:

So new system, upgraded cooler works great, I'm just having frame rate issues with one of the games I play, Dyson Sphere Program where I am getting 1-5 FPS towards the endgame. CPU is around 40% (individual cores don't go above 60%), memory utilization is at 30gb for this game. My fans are in auto mode and they don't even noticeably speed up.

Other than this, I normally play Stellaris and other games where I thought my main bottleneck was cpu and ram, and even my old system (gen5 i5, 16gb) ran Cyberpunk, FarCry and Just Cause fine enough (with most graphics options turned down)

I am looking at the comparison sites for the insanely priced cards, what extremely obvious point am I missing since the specs looks like the top notch cards "only" 3-6x faster than my current card? I want something faster, but I don't see a point in dropping $1200 for a rtx 3070 ti for "only" 3-6x fps increase. I get the feeling it boils down to "It's only 3-6x faster FPS, but each frame looks AMAZING," but I guess I want to hear someone else say it.

Do other games play normally? Is FPS a problem elsewhere, or just in Dyson Sphere Program?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

**some really good info**
Thank you! I knew I was missing some really critical info somewhere.

I probably should have worded things better, I'm mostly surprised at the cost/benefit ratio. I expected bigger changes in 5 years.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do other games play normally? Is FPS a problem elsewhere, or just in Dyson Sphere Program?
I haven't noticed any problems yet, but it's not like I've tried a hell of a lot lately.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fire Storm posted:

I probably should have worded things better, I'm mostly surprised at the cost/benefit ratio. I expected bigger changes in 5 years.

Keep in mind that the 3070 Ti you mentioned is theoretically a $599 card and it's the messed up market right now that has it at $1200+ when you're thinking about performance ratios.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any tips for buying from Micro Center? I happen to live fairly close to one, and the OP mentions that just doing a walk-in is an option. It seems like on their website they have separate options for full prebuilts, buying parts and paying a fee for them to assemble them, and buying a preselected case/mobo/power supply/graphics card and customizing the rest.

This would be my main everyday power rig for gaming/browsing/etc. I haven't built a PC since my current desktop, and that was 10 years ago. All the stuff about GPUs has me spooked and I'm feeling anxious about all this.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You live near a microcenter so you're already well ahead of most other people. I think there's information out there for each microcenter location about when they get their GPU stock, and then it's a matter of turning up that morning and getting a code which entitles you to a GPU later in the day. Once you've got that out of the way then the rest of it is easy. Give us a budget and intended workloads and we can help.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

Does anyone have any tips for buying from Micro Center? I happen to live fairly close to one, and the OP mentions that just doing a walk-in is an option. It seems like on their website they have separate options for full prebuilts, buying parts and paying a fee for them to assemble them, and buying a preselected case/mobo/power supply/graphics card and customizing the rest.

This would be my main everyday power rig for gaming/browsing/etc. I haven't built a PC since my current desktop, and that was 10 years ago. All the stuff about GPUs has me spooked and I'm feeling anxious about all this.

Thread search for microcenter discord and see if you can find it. There’s a big post about it somewhere that details it.

You can get a prebuilt from them, and you’ll probably get a GPU, it you’ll pay mark up.

If you’re not picky on the card, you can show up at microcenter every day you can at opening and they do raffles daily. If you’re targeting lower cards (3060/3060Ti) there’s been a decent bit of quick successes in thread.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This would be for their Brooklyn location, for what it's worth. I guess I'll go down there and see what an employee says, and maybe try and find this supposed discord.

The goal I'm shooting for is to be able to play Cyberpunk/Elden Ring on non-minimum settings relatively smoothly (or as much as the software allows, in the case of Cyberpunk :v:) Budget-wise, I got some money for Christmas to cover part of it, and have enough in my savings that it shouldn't be a problem unless I'm going too big. If the whole system goes over the $2500-3000 range I may start to have cold feet though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bakanogami posted:

This would be for their Brooklyn location, for what it's worth. I guess I'll go down there and see what an employee says, and maybe try and find this supposed discord.

The goal I'm shooting for is to be able to play Cyberpunk/Elden Ring on non-minimum settings relatively smoothly (or as much as the software allows, in the case of Cyberpunk :v:) Budget-wise, I got some money for Christmas to cover part of it, and have enough in my savings that it shouldn't be a problem unless I'm going too big. If the whole system goes over the $2500-3000 range I may start to have cold feet though.

If you get a reasonable GPU it’s very easy to come under that.

If you have a car there’s the queens and Yonkers ones too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you get a reasonable GPU it’s very easy to come under that.

If you have a car there’s the queens and Yonkers ones too.

They have Radeon GPUs in stock pretty regularly for... okay prices from what I've seen, or you could get a 3060/3060 ti (if there's a good sale) prebuilt for like $1400. Cyberpunk isn't really that demanding if you're not running ray tracing and turn down crowd density + film grain

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fire Storm posted:

Thank you! I knew I was missing some really critical info somewhere.

I haven't noticed any problems yet, but it's not like I've tried a hell of a lot lately.

It's true, there has been some stagnation in graphics tech the last 5 years. AMD stopped releasing high-end GPUs for a while, and then the 20-series GPUs from Nvidia essentially kept a similar price-to-performance ratio as the 10-series, with its major innovations being ray tracing and machine learning cores, two things that didn't matter at all at the time and still mostly don't matter (though DLSS, a machine-learning-assisted upscaling technique, is pretty cool). The 30-series had a fairly large boost in performance that came with another small bump in MSRP, so in theory those are much better products. Unfortunately, the GPU market is an utter mess right now with sky-high demand from crypto miners and a supply chain that can't keep up, so actual prices are terrible and don't represent a good value over what was available 5 years ago. A $500 3060 is about 95% as good as a 1080 Ti, which retailed for $700 back in the day. So it is a better value, but not by a whole lot. This has coincided with a wider proliferation of new undemanding 3D games from indie/mid-sized developers and a large number of production delays from AAA developers due to Covid, so there's less to do with high-end graphics cards anyway.

If you think you can wait another year, the next generation of graphics cards from both AMD and Nvidia are expected to have another large boost in overall performance, possibly larger than the one Ampere and RDNA2 brought, and the shortage/pricing situation should be somewhat improved by then (though it's unlikely to be a solved problem entirely). These are expected to come out late this year/early next. Otherwise, if you want a halfway acceptable value, you have to try to find a GPU at retail (from an actual retailer and not a third-party amazon/newegg marketplace scalper), but even those prices are pretty high these days.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 7, 2022

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bakanogami posted:

last known drop

lucky for you Brooklyn seems to follow a weds/friday cycle

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, don't do a walk-in if you have the ability to go in the morning before opening. You can find some less sought-after GPUs with a random walk-in, but if you want a 30-series GPU, then you should show up before opening and try to get one from their twice-a-week restocks.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm building a PC and need advice.

I have a 12th gen Intel CPU. I bought a Corsair AIO cooler that said it was LGA1700 compatible. Get ready to install it, and discover that was a lie. I actually need to order special standoffs. Standoffs that they will not ship overseas, or to a freight forwarder.

I've read that the 1200 standoffs work fine and only make a 1-2 temperature difference... does anyone here have experience with that? I'm kind of screwed otherwise unless I want to wait two weeks to get an actual compatible cooler delivered to bumfuck Saudi Arabia since the stores here don't have any compatible coolers, AIO or air, in stock.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Devorum posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I'm building a PC and need advice.

I have a 12th gen Intel CPU. I bought a Corsair AIO cooler that said it was LGA1700 compatible. Get ready to install it, and discover that was a lie. I actually need to order special standoffs. Standoffs that they will not ship overseas, or to a freight forwarder.

I've read that the 1200 standoffs work fine and only make a 1-2 temperature difference... does anyone here have experience with that? I'm kind of screwed otherwise unless I want to wait two weeks to get an actual compatible cooler delivered to bumfuck Saudi Arabia since the stores here don't have any compatible coolers, AIO or air, in stock.

Specific model info would be helpful.

I’d probably install it with the 1200 standoffs and just check temps and see if they’re reasonable.

Or return it for something that is compatible out of box if that’s an option.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Specific model info would be helpful.

I’d probably install it with the 1200 standoffs and just check temps and see if they’re reasonable.

Or return it for something that is compatible out of box if that’s an option.

Motherboard is MSI Carbon Z690
CPU is 12700K
AIO is Capellix H115i

I've already talked to the guy who runs the only shop for 50 miles, and he says all they have are the Corsairs and a few NZXT coolers that also need kits.

My options are to return this and wait for something to get here from Newegg or Amazon or roll the dice. I should probably do the former, but I'm just very frustrated right now staring at the new PC I can't actually use.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Devorum posted:

CPU is 12700K
AIO is Capellix H115i

I've already talked to the guy who runs the only shop for 50 miles, and he says all they have are the Corsairs and a few NZXT coolers that also need kits.

My options are to return this and wait for something to get here from Newegg or Amazon or roll the dice. I should probably do the former, but I'm just very frustrated right now staring at the new PC I can't actually use.

Can you get a D15 or equivalent air cooler with the 1700 bracket? IMO a D15 should perform drat near equal to that cooler (it’s a 2 fan 280mm). Corsair’s website even only lists a 3C difference between this AIO and a “performance air cooler”.

If you insist on AIO for looks or whatever, it seems this person ran a similar unit without the standoffs and it was fine?

https://reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/qrfgx0/corsair_aio_water_cooler_lga_1700_clearing_up/

Where are you located? If shipping is physically possible and you wanna pay for it, Some goon in SA mart may do it for you for $5 or whatever. I don’t exactly have the capacity right now or I’d offer.

If it were me I’d go with an air cooler.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
A Scythe Fuma 2 would also be a good option. It's very close to the D15's performance at 60% the cost.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

A Scythe Fuma 2 would also be a good option. It's very close to the D15's performance at 60% the cost.

At full bore, on a 12700k, it will not be close.

The Fuma is excellent at low noise, and reasonably good at the mid-high end, but the fan doesn’t spin fast enough to keep up if you are really pegging the CPU. Especially on an insanely hot chip like the 12700k.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008

Devorum posted:

CPU is 12700K
AIO is Capellix H115i

If it makes you feel better, you have even fewer options than you think - the LGA 1200 mounting bracket will not fit on your motherboard, so you’ll need to return and find something that does fit.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
Quick and simple question. I was given a itx case and PSU and have got it all built up, only to discover that the sata connector on the AIO I got (iCue H100i RGB Pro XT) has nothing to connect it to the PSU. I think I need a female sata to pcie 6 pin cable, but I wanted to be sure. Picture of the connector on the pumphead for reference. What should I be searching for and where would be a good place to get it?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nyyen posted:

Quick and simple question. I was given a itx case and PSU and have got it all built up, only to discover that the sata connector on the AIO I got (iCue H100i RGB Pro XT) has nothing to connect it to the PSU. I think I need a female sata to pcie 6 pin cable, but I wanted to be sure. Picture of the connector on the pumphead for reference. What should I be searching for and where would be a good place to get it?

What’s your PSU? It should absolutely have sata power.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

What’s your PSU? It should absolutely have sata power.

Corsair SF600. It can totally do sata power, it's just that I wasn't given the cable. I have all the other power connectors but I'm missing that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nyyen posted:

Corsair SF600. It can totally do sata power, it's just that I wasn't given the cable. I have all the other power connectors but I'm missing that.

Other poster is saying no PSU was shipped without that cable for the last 10 years or so, it must be somewhere. Maybe you're already using it?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nyyen posted:

It comes with one sata power cable. You need to return/rma or reach out to Corsair if you didn’t get one.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
I was given my brother's old case and PSU. It doesn't have all the cables. I need to buy a replacement for the missing one.

I should have made that more clear.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Nyyen posted:

I was given my brother's old case and PSU. It doesn't have all the cables. I need to buy a replacement for the missing one.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CP-8...138&sr=8-3&th=1

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nyyen posted:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...ig/p/CP-8920186

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I personally wouldn’t buy this from Amazon. Unlikely to be an issue but risk too high.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I personally wouldn’t buy this from Amazon. Unlikely to be an issue but risk too high.

Yeah fair I only looked on the EU Corsair website and couldn't see the individual SATA cable, just the whole set for €40

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Thanks for the links. What's the danger getting it from amazon?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Nyyen posted:

Thanks for the links. What's the danger getting it from amazon?

Amazon has a massive counterfeit problem.

PSU side cables are not interchangeable. If you plug in a cable not properly built for your PSU (they’re all different), you will blow the PSU, and may blow every component that is attached.

I would not trust an Amazon cable to be properly built. In like 90% of cases it’s probably fine, but I wouldn’t risk my $1k+ PC to save $1 and 2 days of shipping.

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

pro tip:

don't install your CPU fan backwards so its blowing hot air against your intake.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Fractal is releasing smaller versions of the well regarded Torrent case

Compact and Nano (ITX)

idk about pricing

e:apparently MSRP for the compact is $150 without RGB

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 9, 2022

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Rinkles posted:

Compact and Nano (ITX)

idk about pricing

One of Linus's side channels just posted a build video, it looks really cool and I'd consider switching over if it didn't cost twice what I paid for my NZXT H210...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

That Compact looks nice, the original Torrent was weirdly oversized with tons of space in the front despite it not really being a good fit for watercooling

Still supports bottom-intake too although the fans aren't included with this one

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

Can anybody think of a reason I’d be dropping usb inputs? Happens with both mouse and controller where rarely a held button stops registering as held or like if I’m dragging something with the mouse drops. tried turning up my mouse refresh frequency or whatever but doesnt seem to have helped

Super No Vacancy posted:

knock on wood but i turned off my internal LED gimmicks and that at least seems to have decreased the frequency of this? does that make sense??

just kidding. this is going to maybe drive me to madness

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The one time I had issues with that it was motherboard related

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Compact and Nano (ITX)

idk about pricing

I was really hoping the Nano would be mATX compatible, but it's mITX only. What a let-down. That case is massive for an ITX case, possibly the single largest mITX-only case on the market. Just why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Compact and Nano (ITX)

idk about pricing

God damnit I literally just ordered a Meshify 2 Compact two days ago

*edit* the lack of space for cables behind the motherboard kind of sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfO5tdYCn88&t=599s