Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Grendels Dad posted:

I *think* you can see that she walks off with the Fu Manchu looking motherfucker and I like to think that he has special ninja training to overcome those awkward moments in conversations whenever R'as does this.

Birds-eye view of two dozen ninjas in formation practicing their small-talk katas.

"Would that it were so simple, H'YAH!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Barry Foster posted:

lol what an autocorrect

Would be down for a lady joker though

Give Jodie Whittaker the job, she's free now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Burton still did the best Gotham and every day we move further from the Bat Signal's light.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Barry Foster posted:

lol what an autocorrect

Or Penguin. Cast Danilelle Devito

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mordiceius posted:

Burton still did the best Gotham and every day we move further from the Bat Signal's light.

I dunno, Batman & Robin portraying Gotham as the Blade Runner megalopolis is up there

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

The version I really don’t like, is the DCEU one where it’s just across a bay from Metropolis. In about 20 years, that’ll just be the same city.

That's how it's been in the comics since the 80s. Gotham is on the southern coast of New Jersey and Metropolis is across Delaware Bay in Delaware.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ynohtna posted:

Birds-eye view of two dozen ninjas in formation practicing their small-talk katas.

"Would that it were so simple, H'YAH!"

Traditionally social stealth was absolutely part of being a ninja. Probably one of the most important parts.

Necrothatcher posted:

I've always hated this extremely unimaginative take. Metropolis and Gotham have their own clear identities separate from any real-world city.

That horse bolted a long time ago. 'Gotham' is literally an old nickname for New York.

Funny thing is in the comics New York still exists, and is sometimes called 'The Cinderella City' because its IRL prominence is diminished by how Gotham and Metropolis fill its roles. Adaptations mix it up, with BTAS having mentions of 'Gotham State' and implications it flat out replaces NYC, and BvS has Gotham and Metropolis be basically Manhattan and New Jersey.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Barry Foster posted:

lol what an autocorrect

Outside chance that this may happen in the upcoming Flash movie, if rumours are true that Michael Keaton is playing Thomas Wayne in the Flashpoint alternate universe rather than the Burton universe Bruce Wayne. In Flashpoint, it's Bruce that's killed in the alleyway, Martha becomes the Joker and Thomas becomes Batman

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

2house2fly posted:

I dunno, Batman & Robin portraying Gotham as the Blade Runner megalopolis is up there

B&R is probably the closest the movies ever got to the animated series when it comes to the city(gaudiness aside).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Batman Begins has the coolest, most Gotham feeling Gotham to me out of the Nolan movies. There's nothing in the sequels that feels as...weird as The Narrows felt in Batman Begins. The Gotham of the sequels both just feel like the cities they were shot in. The Narrows, at least, feels like comic book Gotham. Plus, there's the whole train running through Gotham in Begins that, obviously, is gone in the sequels.

Adrianics posted:

Outside chance that this may happen in the upcoming Flash movie, if rumours are true that Michael Keaton is playing Thomas Wayne in the Flashpoint alternate universe rather than the Burton universe Bruce Wayne. In Flashpoint, it's Bruce that's killed in the alleyway, Martha becomes the Joker and Thomas becomes Batman

It's been forever since I read Flashpoint, or watched the animated film adaptation. Did they give a reason why Thomas also became Batman instead of, I don't know, any other form of super hero? Did he also fall into the cave, find the bats, develop a fear of them (only as an adult), and also decide to use that fear against his enemies? Or did they just leave it at, "He's Batman, now. Don't ask too many questions."

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The_Doctor posted:

The version I really don’t like, is the DCEU one where it’s just across a bay from Metropolis. In about 20 years, that’ll just be the same city.

If it makes you feel any better, nobody thinks San Diego and Los Angeles are the same city despite the fact that they *sorta* blend into each other and don't require a ferry ride.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

thrawn527 posted:

It's been forever since I read Flashpoint, or watched the animated film adaptation. Did they give a reason why Thomas also became Batman instead of, I don't know, any other form of super hero? Did he also fall into the cave, find the bats, develop a fear of them (only as an adult), and also decide to use that fear against his enemies? Or did they just leave it at, "He's Batman, now. Don't ask too many questions."

He should have become Spider-man

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Batman Begins has the coolest, most Gotham feeling Gotham to me out of the Nolan movies. There's nothing in the sequels that feels as...weird as The Narrows felt in Batman Begins. The Gotham of the sequels both just feel like the cities they were shot in. The Narrows, at least, feels like comic book Gotham. Plus, there's the whole train running through Gotham in Begins that, obviously, is gone in the sequels.

There is a frequently slipped into canon story where the costume Batman wears was based off one Thomas Wayne wore to a party where he foiled a robbery. I think it is based on that.

gregday
May 23, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

He should have become Spider-man

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

There is a frequently slipped into canon story where the costume Batman wears was based off one Thomas Wayne wore to a party where he foiled a robbery. I think it is based on that.

That's right, I vaguely recall this now. Thanks! I honestly wasn't expecting a real answer!

gregday
May 23, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I quite like the touch in Begins that the cape, besides just being great for BASE jumping, reminds him of when on the night of his parents’ murder, Gordon put his fathers coat around his shoulders.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

I think a really interesting hook that Batman Begins ends with is:

--The Narrows is "lost"
--You have a bunch of criminals who escaped from Arkham but have had their minds warped with the fear toxin.

Batman Begins really does end in a place where you can imagine this urban hellscape and an in-universe reason why you have these lunatics in costumes outside of the vague idea of escalation. I'm really happy with the movies we got, but it's really been undervalued how well Begins stands on its own.

Goyer's script is legit clunky at times though.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

No loving question and moving away from that aesthetic dragged the sequels down a notch for me and actually somehow managed to make things look MORE weird. I'm not sure why Nolan got away from that and went from a real Gotham to "Batman in Chicago" and "Batman in Pittsburgh". It kind of took me out the films being able to recognize actual places I've been and streets I've walked down to where everything looked normal and, oddly, made Batman, his gadgets, Joker and Bane seem more out of place and, in what is supposed to be a "grounded" movie, a bit less believable.

Burton's films used the city as a character and a tone setter. So did Batman Begins.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'd argue The Dark Knight is the only movie where the people of Gotham itself really feel like characters and their safety feels at stake.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If it makes you feel any better, nobody thinks San Diego and Los Angeles are the same city despite the fact that they *sorta* blend into each other and don't require a ferry ride.

They do require that you drive half an hour (if you're lucky) through Orange County.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think a really interesting hook that Batman Begins ends with is:

--The Narrows is "lost"
--You have a bunch of criminals who escaped from Arkham but have had their minds warped with the fear toxin.

Batman Begins really does end in a place where you can imagine this urban hellscape and an in-universe reason why you have these lunatics in costumes outside of the vague idea of escalation. I'm really happy with the movies we got, but it's really been undervalued how well Begins stands on its own.

Goyer's script is legit clunky at times though.

After the Schumacher disasters, there was no guarantee Begins was going to be successful or have any sequels. It wasn’t written with that in mind. Everyone thinks the Joker card at the end is a setup for TDK, but it’s really just as you said, to end on an imaginative high note for this new world that’s just been created.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

gregday posted:

After the Schumacher disasters, there was no guarantee Begins was going to be successful or have any sequels. It wasn’t written with that in mind. Everyone thinks the Joker card at the end is a setup for TDK, but it’s really just as you said, to end on an imaginative high note for this new world that’s just been created.

And we call that world "Chicagoburgh"

Or "Pittscago"

Maybe "Chittsburgh."

I get they didn't know if there'd be a sequel or not but, once there was, why remove the rather good and successful backdrop/city you created and film on Michigan Avenue?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

thrawn527 posted:

Gotham in Batman Begins is my favorite of any of the movies because it looks like Detroit with Kowloon City grafted on to it (the Narrows). The atmosphere is just unmatched by any of the environments in the sequels, where Gotham is clearly not-Chicago or not-New York.

gregday
May 23, 2003

The entire Narrows was a set constructed indoors.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

2house2fly posted:

I get a tiny bit choked up at some of the big lines like "it's not who I am underneath(etc)" and "I never said thank you". The only other superhero movies that have ever got an actual emotional response from me have been the Snyder ones

The ending scene of BB with Gordon's "I never said thank you" and Batman's "And you'll never have to" is for me the best one-scene distillation of Batman in any movie so far.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'd argue The Dark Knight is the only movie where the people of Gotham itself really feel like characters and their safety feels at stake.

For me the BvS Ultimate Edition also does this, the scenes with Clark talking with the poor people in Gotham who are terrified of Batman while also just being run down by regular criminals/cops.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

gregday posted:

Which I recall was a big complaint about Begins, and people thought The Dark Knight made a huge upgrade filming actually outside.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

The ending scene of BB with Gordon's "I never said thank you" and Batman's "And you'll never have to" is for me the best one-scene distillation of Batman in any movie so far.

That is really good. For me it's, as cheesy as it is, "There's no one left to send in," immediately followed by the Batmobile jumping over the river to head into the Narrows to the rescue. It just WORKS for me, and is Batman, perfectly.

gently caress, Batman Begins is my favorite Batman movie.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 9, 2022

gregday
May 23, 2003

It’s so well made that the idea of an estranged billionaire vagrant loving off to a secret Tibetan monastery to train with a bunch of ninjas doesn’t seem that ridiculous.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Batman Begins is one of my favorite Superhero movies - but TDK is one of my favorite movies ever made.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

gregday posted:

Well Kowloon City was demolished in 94 so yeah I'd be a little surprised if they had found some way to film on-site.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I get a tiny bit choked up at some of the big lines like "it's not who I am underneath(etc)" and "I never said thank you". The only other superhero movies that have ever got an actual emotional response from me have been the Snyder ones

Costner's "you are my son" line delivery gets me every time. I'll go to bat for MoS too and think it's good.

thrawn527 posted:

gently caress, Batman Begins is my favorite Batman movie.

It's way up there for me. I like TDK because how can you not and Ledger is incredible in it along with a few other superhero movies but Batman Begins still resonates and gets a lot right.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 9, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

There used to be a fantastic read-through of this on YouTube, but I think it got taken down...

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mat Cauthon posted:

Well Kowloon City was demolished in 94 so yeah I'd be a little surprised if they had found some way to film on-site.

I think JCVD's Bloodsport, of all things, has some of the best surviving footage shot from inside Kowloon Walled City.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Chairman Capone posted:

For me the BvS Ultimate Edition also does this, the scenes with Clark talking with the poor people in Gotham who are terrified of Batman while also just being run down by regular criminals/cops.

Those scenes are great, all leading up to him telling a woman to talk to him so he can stop The Bat Man with the power of journalism, and the woman saying it won't work because the only language The Bat Man understands is violence.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I'd be hard pressed to tell you how it does so exactly, but Begins' does exist in an almost perfect sweet spot between realism and fantasy. Yeah, Gotham is clearly derived from real cities, but even outside of the narrows it just feels a bit bigger, a bit louder, a bit more surreal than it does by TDK.

gregday posted:

To add to this, Begins came out in a year when there was a strong 'are the movies over?' narrative. A lot of movies, even very big ones, struggled to find audiences. What was actually happening, obviously in retrospect, was the market changing and adapting, the worlwide box office becoming more important, and so on. Begins had a very weak opening weekend (less than 50 million in a time when every comic book movie didn't just do 100 million, but did it faster than the last one) and didn't set any records. It's exactly the sort of thing that would have been written off by the current batch at WB as a horrific failure. Looking at their weird reaction to BvS, it's crazy that Begins got not only a sequel, but its director got a larger budget and more or less a free reign.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Russel Crowe has joined the cast of Kraven, now; someone tell me why the gently caress he's not playing Kraven.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BiggerBoat posted:

No loving question and moving away from that aesthetic dragged the sequels down a notch for me and actually somehow managed to make things look MORE weird. I'm not sure why Nolan got away from that and went from a real Gotham to "Batman in Chicago" and "Batman in Pittsburgh". It kind of took me out the films being able to recognize actual places I've been and streets I've walked down to where everything looked normal and, oddly, made Batman, his gadgets, Joker and Bane seem more out of place and, in what is supposed to be a "grounded" movie, a bit less believable.

Burton's films used the city as a character and a tone setter. So did Batman Begins.

I do appreciate that it posits a world where instead of losing half its population after 1960, pittsburgh kept growing and is a big giant industrial-gilded age metropolis. i wish it were true

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

Looking at their weird reaction to BvS, it's crazy that Begins got not only a sequel, but its director got a larger budget and more or less a free reign.

It helped that Begins was actually good. The whole trilogy was pretty good tbh.

I need to go look up what you were talking about regarding the dearth of good movies when it came out and see what it was competing against because I don't recall a general sense that cinema was struggling or anything but maybe it was. Nolan just made a good film with a relatively fresh take on a wildly popular character that had been languishing in obscurity after Schumacher had his way with the franchise. IIRC, it had a relatively low budget and expectations were low to middling.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

well why not posted:

Russel Crowe has joined the cast of Kraven, now; someone tell me why the gently caress he's not playing Kraven.
Hopefully he's playing Gog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BiggerBoat posted:

It helped that Begins was actually good. The whole trilogy was pretty good tbh.

I need to go look up what you were talking about regarding the dearth of good movies when it came out and see what it was competing against because I don't recall a general sense that cinema was struggling or anything but maybe it was. Nolan just made a good film with a relatively fresh take on a wildly popular character that had been languishing in obscurity after Schumacher had his way with the franchise. IIRC, it had a relatively low budget and expectations were low to middling.

Critics and the like had been saying for years “the superhero bubble’s going to burst” “people will give up on comic book movies any day now”

That was 2004 - 2007 ish oh how naïve we were.