Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pump it up! Do it! posted:

Have they changed the requirements for reaching max prestige level and is there any good way to farm prestige? I am trying to form "The Kingdom of the Man and Isles" and started out as Ivar the Boneless - I am currently playing for his son and even though I have tried to max out prestige for 30 years going full August, I am still 10.000 of and my character is 65.

The best prestige farm by far is to take your army raiding and use it to crush other armies. Meaning you want a quality advantage and to bring about as many troops as your target can raise to fight you (if you have way more they won't fight at all). Ideally you've stacked your army with powerful MaA for full stack wipe potential, I think the prestige gain is proportional to how many enemy soldiers you kill.

Fighting in your allies' wars with the same goal will acheive the same results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual

Dwesa posted:

it seems most of them are just usual 'DLC too expensive'

Yeah, I don't really get that complaint. 30$ has been a pretty static number for expansions. I remember buying the Warcraft 2 expansion, new, for that price in 1995.

I'm happy with my purchase which is a lot more I can say about most games that came out in 2020/21.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Haesteinn into kingdom of Cornwall ended up with me finding 2 excaliburs.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
That's no good. I've heard that watery tarts distributing swords is no basis for a government, but I'd need a historian to weigh in on that.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Mahasamatman posted:

King Arthur was a lvl 20 ranger specializing in dual wielding dontchaknow?

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Dwesa posted:

it seems most of them are just usual 'DLC too expensive'

A large percentage of those are "I got this with the Royal Edition, but wtf this is too expensive, do not buy!!!", which is a little confusing as well.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Mahasamatman posted:

Wouldn't surprise me if Haesteinn had hidden bonuses for that too.

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.
Just about every lord in southern Great Britain starts with one in 867, not sure about 1066.

Edit: Excalibur, that is.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

ninjahedgehog posted:

In the COA designer, am I missing a button somewhere to mirror a given emblem? I'm trying to get two lions combatant but I can't figure out how to make one of the lions face the other way :psyduck:
No there is none, you can move the emblems everywhere but not flip them. It frustrates me too. Or maybe i am blind and dumb.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I feel like this is pretty easily 50% more “content” or whatever than most $20 Paradox expansions I’ve purchased. I think mostly it’s people who wanted more, I dunno, traditional CK content.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ok ... i wanna reform the faith in Mali, how do i get 5000 piety in one lifetime?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg

Angstrom Gothington posted:

Just about every lord in southern Great Britain starts with one in 867, not sure about 1066.

Edit: Excalibur, that is.

I think I got one from Cornwall proper, and another from Wessex or Hwicce. If anyone is curious, they aren't wieldable weapons--they're court artifacts with knight and prestige bonuses.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hihohe posted:

Ok ... i wanna reform the faith in Mali, how do i get 5000 piety in one lifetime?

Raid heathens, and pilgrim it up. Execute any heathen captives without huge ransoms. Also make sure you have the reform discount from the Theologian Lifestyle tree, though you might already be counting that.

Omnicarus posted:

A large percentage of those are "I got this with the Royal Edition, but wtf this is too expensive, do not buy!!!", which is a little confusing as well.

And if it was cheaper they'd complain that they aren't getting their full discount from the Royal Edition. Some people just cray.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just please tell me how to get the good Artifacts, I need them for Poland.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I wish i could go on pilgrimage every year dammit:mad:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mahasamatman posted:

It seems they pulled a bit of a Monty Python joke with some of the legendary items.

"We're on a quest for the Holy Grail, would you like to join us?"
"No, we've already got one."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hihohe posted:

Get the prophet trait in the religious learning tree, it will cut that in half. Being in this tree will also give you events that you can gain piety from.

Go on pilgrimages every time it's off cooldown.

Holy war against people with big armies, you'll get tons of piety for killing them far more than the cb cost, and then yeah even more from executions afterwards.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just please tell me how to get the good Artifacts, I need them for Poland.

Having a court with grandeur will attract inspired people, pay them and they'll come back with stuff. You can also steal other people's in battle and from besieging cities. The Byzantines have a boatload.

I did get a legendary item but it requires being Somali faith to get more than a grandeur bonus out of.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Have they changed the requirements for reaching max prestige level and is there any good way to farm prestige? I am trying to form "The Kingdom of the Man and Isles" and started out as Ivar the Boneless - I am currently playing for his son and even though I have tried to max out prestige for 30 years going full August, I am still 10.000 of and my character is 65.

The requirements for high Fame levels (Exalted/Legend) were raised significantly in 1.5, yes. On one hand it's possibly too high, on the other hand I remember some of my more martial 1.4 games where I'd get prestige/fame coming out of my ears from all the warmongering and hitting those levels probably more easily than it should be. Are you, like, raiding and conquering at every possible opportunity? Do you have any other prestige gain bonuses besides the August tree?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Chalk one up for the "this is $30????" reaction

Is it known if they're, like, shifting to a Civilization-style plan with 2-3 big expansions? Because that's not bad if so. If there's going to be 15 like there was in CKII, though...

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Nosre posted:

Is it known if they're, like, shifting to a Civilization-style plan with 2-3 big expansions? Because that's not bad if so. If there's going to be 15 like there was in CKII, though...

The plan for this generation of releases was explicitly to produce fewer major expansions at a higher price point, and fill the space between them with smaller DLC for "flavour" at a lower price point. Some people think these price points are still too high, I guess?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

The requirements for high Fame levels (Exalted/Legend) were raised significantly in 1.5, yes. On one hand it's possibly too high, on the other hand I remember some of my more martial 1.4 games where I'd get prestige/fame coming out of my ears from all the warmongering and hitting those levels probably more easily than it should be. Are you, like, raiding and conquering at every possible opportunity? Do you have any other prestige gain bonuses besides the August tree?

I like it thus far. It used to be you'd max both those out within five years of assuming the throne once you had multiple kingdom titles, now it seems actually noteworthy to hit them, I prefer it this way.

Nosre posted:

I think once they fix it so everyone's face stops looking like pudding it will seem worth more to me. I'm having a hard time getting past that I admit.

There is A LOT of stuff that definitely makes it worth the price tag imo but it's mostly stuff that you don't "open the box" and see right away - the coat of arms designer, the new culture system, the court itself tbh these are all great. That being said I'm not terribly enamored with the artifact system, I wish they were a lot rarer and more impactful and it feels way too much like an MMO inventory system which is kind of jarring to immersion for me.

Also I bought the pack thing years ago so it's like I don't even remember this cost me money.

But yeah, anyone who thinks this took way too long and didn't have the bang for the buck it should have is justified in feeling that way. It's definitely not going to change anyone's mind on the game if they didn't like it before.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

SlothBear posted:

Get the prophet trait in the religious learning tree, it will cut that in half. Being in this tree will also give you events that you can gain piety from.

Go on pilgrimages every time it's off cooldown.

Holy war against people with big armies, you'll get tons of piety for killing them far more than the cb cost, and then yeah even more from executions afterwards.

Having a court with grandeur will attract inspired people, pay them and they'll come back with stuff. You can also steal other people's in battle and from besieging cities. The Byzantines have a boatload.

I did get a legendary item but it requires being Somali faith to get more than a grandeur bonus out of.

drat, ok. Guess I need to speed up these innovations somehow to go Feudal and unlock the Royal Court.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

I can't see it, either. No idea what's going on, but it's not independence, I was independent.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I want to say it's tied to a tier of Court Grandeur? but I might be wrong

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

I'm not seeing any evidence of this in game. Do you need to be independent?

You need a certain grandeur level to do it. Think it’s around six or so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So the new train commanders is interesting. You build up commander skill and MaA power over time, but you lose it instantly if you assign your Marshal to any other task, rather than it decaying like I expected.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

No there is none, you can move the emblems everywhere but not flip them. It frustrates me too. Or maybe i am blind and dumb.

Figured it out for you. copy to text, put in a minus value for the scale, paste it in.

texture="ce_lion_rampant_per_pale.dds"
instance={
position={ 0.510000 0.440000 }
scale={ -0.710000 0.710000 }
}

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think it might be a bit too high, I mean I had August for 30 years and tried constantly raiding ,conquering and adding prestige buffs before my Jarl died at 73. Maybe they should lower the requirement for forming the Kingdom of Mann one notch and then it would be sensible since it is quite hard to hit when you are a Duke.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

TjyvTompa posted:

There is a confirmed bug related to how characters look so hopefully it will get fixed soon: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck-iii-portraits-look-messed-up-specifically-in-the-eyes.1509654/

On the plus side reading that thread pointed me to a neat mod which not only fixed the faces but has a bunch of really well done clothing options: Ethnicities and Portraits Expanded

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

PittTheElder posted:

So the new train commanders is interesting. You build up commander skill and MaA power over time, but you lose it instantly if you assign your Marshal to any other task, rather than it decaying like I expected.

Or if your Marshal defects to a new faction. Honestly I like this, because it means you actually need to make sure your Marshal is loyal instead of just palm slamming some -100 opinion dude with 28 martial and replacing him with the next best when he revolts.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Anyone having issues appointing anyone as Court Poet? It says no one is suitable and if I have someone appointed via an event they leave immediately.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I haven't really played the game since release, but I picked up Royal Court and have been having a good time. I did the Haesteinn 867 start because it was labeled "Easy" and I had already spent too much time in Ireland before, and it's been really neat. I did the viking relocation casus belli on the Umayyads, and established a little Norse kingdom centered around Cordoba and Seville.

Since the Norse have the cultural tenet that lets you hybridize a culture at 20% rather than 40%, within the span of Haesteinn's lifetime I was able to create a hybrid "Alshamal" culture that is full of Arabic-speaking northmen who now wear furs and turbans and have huge braided beards at the same time. I'm looking forward to seeing all the hybridized Norse/Arabic names of the dynasty's children down the line.

It's gonna take a long time to convert the area to Asatru, but I'm gonna try that route and see if I can make it work. Probably will never be able to reform the religion, though, since I don't plan on trekking back to Scandinavia to take the holy sites.

I'm impressed at how easily the game puts the information you need at the forefront; it feels easier to get into just playing than most other strategy games. My only concern now is figuring out how to take and hold three duchies at once so I can try to establish my own little kingdom.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

It's really baffling why you can't move Holy Sites at all.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Made with the new CoA editor
From here.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 10, 2022

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Omnicarus posted:

To be fair, the game is called crusader kings

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

I do recommend the mod that changes the reformation requirement from "hold 3 holy sites personally" to "have 3 holy sites controlled by members of your religion"; it's absurd that in order to reform your religion you have to destroy all your coreligionists.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Raiding is the absolute best way. As Ivar, you have Varangians, which are still one of the best MaA there is. Take your 1600-2000 MaA and go find rich places to raid. Make sure your ruler is the one leading the army, and take the Pillaging Legacy.

One thing I also like doing with my raiding armies is finding coastal battles and dropping my raiders on top of them. You get tons of prestige and piety for battles, so finding armies you can drop in on (and wipe with your MaA) is a nice boost.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Managed to lose in 4 months :psyduck:

Petitioned the my liege to put my on his council, he didn't so I got stressed from being arrogant.

Went to pay homage and my dude like fell over and got laughed at, arrogant + something else put me at around 50 stress away from loving dying.

Then my Arabic tutor tried to help me with my homework but all three options were +50 stress so I died lol

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Got truly annihilated trying to be a Zoroastrian in Persia. Muslims do not be liking that, it seems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Got truly annihilated trying to be a Zoroastrian in Persia. Muslims do not be liking that, it seems.

Historical!