Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Zenos was established as being a brilliant strategist and tactician, a leader who would not make his subordinates do what he was unwilling to do and had little tolerance of such behavior in other officers, a man staunchly opposed to weapons of mass, indiscriminate slaughter, someone who thinks survival is commendable, someone who will grant mercy to his opposition, someone who lends a ready ear to those scorned by tradition and birth.

It's just that he turned all of that towards cruelty to better foster the conditions for his desired Hunt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm nearing the end of Endwalker, and while it has been mostly satisfying thus far, i have one burning question.

Does Alphinaud not have Rescue? Urianger has it, and he used it on Ran'jit who isn't even a party member. So why can't Alphinaud not use Rescue on that one lady and her baby in Thavnair? Alphinaud buddy, ur a healer. Just... just zip her to safety.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

DemoneeHo posted:

I'm nearing the end of Endwalker, and while it has been mostly satisfying thus far, i have one burning question.

Does Alphinaud not have Rescue? Urianger has it, and he used it on Ran'jit who isn't even a party member. So why can't Alphinaud not use Rescue on that one lady and her baby in Thavnair? Alphinaud buddy, ur a healer. Just... just zip her to safety.
It doesn't seem unreasonable that Urianger, being twice Alphinaud's age and somehow an even bigger nerd than Alphinaud, learned Rescue diegetically as a neat trick he could use to troll people, while Alph was too busy making numbers and summoning Carbuncles. We have it as a gameplay convenience or because we never had to hard-way learn a healer class past level 30.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
You can only yank someone with Rescue if you can lift them with your arms.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Alph and Alisaie hosed up the mechanics and got a stun debuff.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I don't think you can use rescue outside of combat, alphinaud didn't engage them yet

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
The mother was too focused on trying to run away from the blasphemy, she didn't notice the party invite notification down in the corner in time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That lady died because she got hurled by the head by a giant horrible monster, Rescue would not have helped.

Just like how it never helps when players use it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah that seemed to be a Gwen Stacy kind of situation.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Rescueing her straight into the wall.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

picking up from something currently being discussed in the heavensward LP, I wonder if 7.0 will try to carry forward Endwalker's achievement of giving in-fiction reasons for you to have a party for each trial and dungeon. Granted, those reasons are "Scions" and "+2 Gem of Duty Finder," so not exactly shockingly artful or anything. But it's a neat change from the previous expansions' hand-waving. I'm especially curious if theyre considering expanding trusts for trials or if that was a one off for hydaelyn.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I would not be shocked if they're working on trusts for other trials because if FFXIV ever enters some kind of passive state, or if they retool the game so you can get the story in a mobile format on a Switch 3 holochip or something, it would let them keep 'this entry in Final Fantasy' available without having to 'run a server, forever'

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Valentin posted:

picking up from something currently being discussed in the heavensward LP, I wonder if 7.0 will try to carry forward Endwalker's achievement of giving in-fiction reasons for you to have a party for each trial and dungeon. Granted, those reasons are "Scions" and "+2 Gem of Duty Finder," so not exactly shockingly artful or anything. But it's a neat change from the previous expansions' hand-waving. I'm especially curious if theyre considering expanding trusts for trials or if that was a one off for hydaelyn.

The use of Azem's crystal really was something I really appreciated about Endwalker. Like, I'm the very specific type of nerd that super appreciated a diagetic, in-lore reason for a full party every time, and even if they change it to be something else, I really hope they continue to do so.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

given the introduction of the personal teleporters the Scions use in Ultima Thule, it's also not hard to imagine them kludging something together to serve the same role as Azem's crystal (the Agem, if you will). give the warrior of light an aetherial beacon or whatever that lets their nameless adventuring buddies teleport directly to them, but you can only use it before trials for whatever made up reason. that's a lame jury rig but the outlines of such a thing are easily pulled together, is all I mean.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

DanielCross posted:

The use of Azem's crystal really was something I really appreciated about Endwalker. Like, I'm the very specific type of nerd that super appreciated a diagetic, in-lore reason for a full party every time, and even if they change it to be something else, I really hope they continue to do so.

I do hope that not every trial will use the crystal and that sometimes I'll just happen to have 7 adventurer buddies nearby on an unrelated fishing trip.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I wish the Azem crystal wasn't there, just to see what Koji Fox comes up with for getting seven friends to join us on the moon or the edge of the universe.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

uber groupshare :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They could just go back to the old standard of not explaining it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I wish the Azem crystal wasn't there, just to see what Koji Fox comes up with for getting seven friends to join us on the moon or the edge of the universe.

"Seven passing space aliens."

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Valentin posted:

Relatedly, on the topic of prior content having some explanation or not for party members,
with that varying by translation in some cases, see this giant effortpost (part #3)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HPXIxyIg551cfWNqRwEmGXP3k6mCSttJItNCan_KdkA/edit?usp=sharing

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Valentin posted:

given the introduction of the personal teleporters the Scions use in Ultima Thule, it's also not hard to imagine them kludging something together to serve the same role as Azem's crystal (the Agem, if you will). give the warrior of light an aetherial beacon or whatever that lets their nameless adventuring buddies teleport directly to them, but you can only use it before trials for whatever made up reason. that's a lame jury rig but the outlines of such a thing are easily pulled together, is all I mean.

I'm pretty sure you can in fact, just keep using the Crystal of Azem. The specific Venat Juice it ran out of was the stuff that let you call back Hades/Hythlodaeus/the Scions. It should still have the functional spell you used to fight Elidibus.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure you can in fact, just keep using the Crystal of Azem. The specific Venat Juice it ran out of was the stuff that let you call back Hades/Hythlodaeus/the Scions. It should still have the functional spell you used to fight Elidibus.

Yea the crystal still has power, we got supercharged by Venat with Real Creation Magic (accept no substitutes) and that let us pull our long dead buddies out of the lifestream easily but the crystal's baseline power is still there.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
As some who's legacy is travelling the world making friends and beating up monsters, and that's not even taking in Azem's prior legacy, finding an excuse to find 3/7 people in some area to beat up something new shouldn't be a stretch.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Wow Warrior of Light, it sure was smart of you to to secure passage on the Ragnarok for seven of your friends. Shame they were all hungover until you fought the Endsinger though, so they couldn't help before then.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Had an idea for a thing that my friend Zalgath put together since I'm still having computer trouble (and am bad at image editing):

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

TGLT posted:

Wow Warrior of Light, it sure was smart of you to to secure passage on the Ragnarok for seven of your friends. Shame they were all hungover until you fought the Endsinger though, so they couldn't help before then.

The party before launch was pretty loving wild

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cleretic posted:

graha again probably

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

W.T. Fits posted:

Had an idea for a thing that my friend Zalgath put together since I'm still having computer trouble (and am bad at image editing):

Choco Tract

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Just seven randos riding in on Zenos with no explanation given.

The above sentence, applied to both the edge of the universe and the moon.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I imagine at least one area will have it's own Adventurers Guild that we have to register with like we did at the beginning of the game, with at least one person offhandedly mentioning that there's obviously some pretty capable folks looking for big boss fights.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Maybe the previous versions of this stuff had the same problems but I feel like some of the overworld mobs in EW haven't been quite worked out before they were released.

Ceruleum Zoblyn has a circle aoe that just can't hit you if you stand at max melee, which will happen for pretty much every non-melee non-tank job. So it just fires off this abilities that does nothing a bunch of the time.

Steller Shelled Dragon has attacks called tortoise stomp and admantine breath, which seems sort of lazy even if it is a reskinned adamantoise.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Algid posted:

Maybe the previous versions of this stuff had the same problems but I feel like some of the overworld mobs in EW haven't been quite worked out before they were released.

Ceruleum Zoblyn has a circle aoe that just can't hit you if you stand at max melee, which will happen for pretty much every non-melee non-tank job. So it just fires off this abilities that does nothing a bunch of the time.

Steller Shelled Dragon has attacks called tortoise stomp and admantine breath, which seems sort of lazy even if it is a reskinned adamantoise.

A lot of world and FATE mobs have an AoE that's just shy of max melee. They usually get in range to use them on something first, though, so maybe there is something off with the scripting for them. I do remember having to move a little for those Zoblyn's AoEs as a DNC, SMN and NIN when they pop up as Hunt targets, though. Maybe I just get closer and haven't noticed it?

Reskinned enemies with the same abilities is incredibly common, especially when it's an obvious one instead of being obscured by a different model using the same rigging, so seeing that's not too surprising.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like to think of the perspective of thee random adventurers the WoL summons with Azem's crystal. Like someone is just sitting there eating lunch and suddenly they're teleported in front of Zodiark.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ytlaya posted:

I like to think of the perspective of the random adventurers the WoL summons with Azem's crystal. Like someone is just sitting there eating lunch and suddenly they're teleported in front of Zodiark.

I hope they had a hearty lunch.

Thankfully only the arena spins so they shouldn't get too nauseous.

They'll have quite a story to tell whenever they get back to their shard or the Source.

It'd be a bit too cutesy perhaps, but it could be fun to have some gaudily-dressed sidequest NPC claim to be someone who helped the Warrior of Light save the world.

Wait I'm just describing Trachtoum

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I like to think of the perspective of thee random adventurers the WoL summons with Azem's crystal. Like someone is just sitting there eating lunch and suddenly they're teleported in front of Zodiark.

Pretty rude that we summon them, and then don't pay for their aetheryte costs to get back home after the fight tbh.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gruckles posted:

Pretty rude that we summon them, and then don't pay for their aetheryte costs to get back home after the fight tbh.

That's what the exit cloud is for.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ytlaya posted:

Lets go a step further and make it into an Isekai

"I was press ganged into fighting the Endsinger by the Warrior of Light?!"

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Honestly I'm sick of the crystal being used and hope it gets retired now. Go back to offering no explanation for duty finder, it's a game mechanic and that's all with no basis in the story.

Edit- Also I found them going out of their way to explain why you have other people with you in Pandaemonium completely unnecessary and weird.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i dont get that mindset. its a fun diagetic thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I prefer things like the Weapon questline or Titania, or Innocence, where you explicitly solo them is all. So them shoehorning in explanations for duty finder is less fun to me.