Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLjWzABU134

A FPS/puzzle game where you are a humanoid plant with time loop/clone elements isn't something that I expected, but here we are.

Amusingly, this isn't the only VR game with the 'do x with your own clones' idea, there was another game in development with the same concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Airlink has two main advantages over VD:

-ASW for when you can't quite hit your target refresh rate.
-Uses the Oculus run time so that you can play Oculus store games. Or for Steam games that have better performance when running in Oculus mode.

VD blows it out of the water UI wise though. It seems that in some cases one or the other will work better for specific network environments. So if you find Airlink not running very well it's worth giving VD a try and vice versa.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looking to upgrade my Quest 2 with a new headstrap. Anyone using the BOBOVR-M2-Pro? How is it? Is there a better alternative with a battery pack?

https://www.amazon.com/BOBOVR-M2-Pro-Lightweight-Replaceable/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Harminoff posted:

Looking to upgrade my Quest 2 with a new headstrap. Anyone using the BOBOVR-M2-Pro? How is it? Is there a better alternative with a battery pack?

Similarly, is there anything objectively better than the Elite strap if I don't care about an extra battery? Google is pushing the KIWI strap, anyone use that?

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Rolo posted:

Similarly, is there anything objectively better than the Elite strap if I don't care about an extra battery? Google is pushing the KIWI strap, anyone use that?

I have the kiwi elite strap and it's very good, feels solid and has great support and cushioning, so I would recommend it - I haven't tried anything else though, many glowing reviews for it convinced me to go for it and I must say they seem truthful so far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'd guess drat near anything is better than the Elite strap with its 100% failure rate. I think every last person in this thread that bought one had it break. Certainly the 3 I know IRL broke within a few months.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Enos Cabell posted:

I'd guess drat near anything is better than the Elite strap with its 100% failure rate. I think every last person in this thread that bought one had it break. Certainly the 3 I know IRL broke within a few months.

I have one that I've had for like a year and a half and it's fine. And I even do poo poo that probably puts more stress on it like having a battery pack velcroed to the back of it. But I acknowledge that I may be the anomaly that somehow got the only indestructible Elite strap in existence.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Awesome, Kiwi is on the way. Last one, anything for face pads? I feel like the stock one is too thin.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rolo posted:

Awesome, Kiwi is on the way. Last one, anything for face pads? I feel like the stock one is too thin.

VRCover is the go-to, I have one of the silicone covers with the fabric cover over top of it. Feels nicer to me than the thick leather ones and the fabric one comes with two so you can swap them out easily if they get too grungy from a particularly sweaty session.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

explosivo posted:

VRCover is the go-to, I have one of the silicone covers with the fabric cover over top of it. Feels nicer to me than the thick leather ones and the fabric one comes with two so you can swap them out easily if they get too grungy from a particularly sweaty session.

Seconding VRcover, I use the faux leather pads (2 included, one thicker and one slimmer) and it's good enough for three hours or so. I have the fitness one with airholes for more sweaty stuff but not sure how much it really helps. It was the same price as the others and fit in with the original glasses spacer which I am not sure if the normal VRcover one does

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
VRCover ordered. Hooray at my thing being more comfortable to use when this stuff gets here. Thanks for helping me get back on my virtual feet, thread.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

DAS is a great strap. Especially now that there are proper injection molded adapters for like $15 instead of having to use janky 3D printed ones.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

flavor.flv posted:

You wouldn't be able to shoot that fast in real life, either, the action needs time to cycle.

"Wouldn't it be cool if my gun could jam? Wouldn't it be awesome if I was torn to shreds because a casing stovepiped?"

Actually that would be cool. Capcom please add that mechanic to hard mode

You can definitely shoot hand guns faster than this particular game allows. I’m sure it was a limitation to enhance the fear factor, as mag dumping would have left the player too powerful maybe?

I agree on the second point. Let me shoot as fast as I can pull the trigger but at the risk of malfunction!

Edit- add me to the list of magical users who never had a problem with the elite strap! Still criminal it didn’t come with anything to enhance the audio, though.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 9, 2022

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Rolo posted:

I have the Kiwi athletic one and it's really nice. Let's in some air without letting in light.

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Improbable Lobster posted:

Receiver VR when

When did we stop talking about Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Hand Grenades all the time?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Setup is PC with wired connection into a TP Link range extender in my office room, playing the Quest in my living room on 5ghz (only device using 5ghz) on my lovely Virgin Media router (which is a top suspect for being part of the problem, no WiFi 6 or whatever)

How long is the distance between office and living room? You could connect a Wifi access point between the PC and TP Link, and connect the Quest to the access point.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I'm fine with RE4's different shot speeds. It's a reasonable gameplay concession, IMO. They already had to take different reload speeds out of the equation (since the player can reload at whatever speed they physically can, which is a huge buff for the Red9, especially with fully manual reloading). If they also allowed each gun to fire at the player's physical trigger speed, it'd make the guns all feel even more samey.

Harminoff posted:

Have it, love it!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Kazy posted:

DAS is a great strap. Especially now that there are proper injection molded adapters for like $15 instead of having to use janky 3D printed ones.

I'm using the super old 3d printed ones and tbh they are holding up great. 15 bucks for injection molded is crazy value though considering. Got a link?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How much does that halo design of the bobovr m2 keep the weight of the Q2 off of your face?

I really don't like that feeling of weight on my brow or cheekbones

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Kazy posted:

Also requesting a link to these. I have a 3d printer but the DAS adapters feel so loving sketchy to snap on and off when they’re made of PLA.

Edit: what I REALLY want is a viable way to Frankenstein a DAS and a v2 halo strap together so I can reach maximum comfort nirvana. Designed and printed my own adapter but it puts more strain on the DAS lil pipe cleaner arms than I’m comfortable with.

Manager Hoyden posted:

How much does that halo design of the bobovr m2 keep the weight of the Q2 off of your face?

I really don't like that feeling of weight on my brow or cheekbones

Helps a ton. I have a max FoV faceplate that has almost no padding but it doesn’t matter with the halo strap because it just kinda hangs in front of my face barely touching.

Leathal fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 9, 2022

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Nuts and Gum posted:

Outside of the initial disappointment and launch price, is Medal of Honor worth $32 bux? i think there's been some patches that smoothed out some of the rough handling, but if it's not even up to Sniper Elite VR quality then I don't want to bother.

I think so, I quite enjoyed it at full price. It was a mess at launch though. body in the way you couldn't turn off, looking through scopes blacked out your whole view and just showed a circle in the center, missing options for movement types, etc, just lots of amateur VR stuff. To their credit they fixed every last problem by the 3rd patch, proper scopes, options etc etc. It doesn't push any new ground, the lack of a physics based system for interacting with random objects is something missed, the first mission or so were really short and staccato, but its a satisfying shooter and it looks great. Going house to house in bombed out french villages, hiding behind cover, motes of dust floating in light beams around you, shooting nazis with very satisfying gun handling (I love the fact you can do a one handed shotgun pump like Sara Connor in T2 while blasting nazis, feels great) and ragdoll impact physics on said nazis gave me my monies worth at least.

It did enough to scratch the itch for a lengthier single player campaign shooter I guess I'll say. Considering the dearth of AAA vr games, especially as Quest becomes the focus, it also may be one of the last really high graphically polished VR games for a while. It is unfortunate it front loads the worst levels though right at the start.

Harminoff posted:

Why still no Minecraft on quest?

Beastie posted:

No clue, seems like a great way for me to buy the game for a fourth time.

My nephew loves the game and just this last weekend I dug out my PSVR to show him Minecraft vr. He’s played my Quest 2 plenty, but he was absolutely mesmerized by Minecraft VR.

Just a big smile on his face as he was suddenly placed in the world. He loved the scale of mountains and caves. He realllllly like the new flying mechanic the game implemented.

Minecraft is perfect for VR and it sucks MS hasn’t let anyone other than Sony get an official VR release

So, a bit of history on this, back in the day it was John Carmac's personal quest to get Minecraft on VR because he loved playing it with his kids, so he went to Microsoft and he got them to let him port the game to VR, doing all the work and with no quid pro quo where they kept the rights to everything he did because he was just so determined to get it into VR. Thats why the VR version actually *does* exist, he even made a port for the Gear VR. The oculus store entry has been removed (though you can still locate it https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/741306562635466/?locale=de_DE), but according to what i've found the functionality is in the base win 10 version now by itself: https://help.minecraft.net/hc/en-us...Virtual-Reality

The Gear VR version is interesting as well, because it was only ever released on GearVR, not even oculus Go, however you could sideload it on to the go, which I did back in 2018 and it worked flawlessly on that underpowered device. I remember when quest launched people were able to sideload the gearVR version onto the quest as well and it not only worked, it worked with 6dof tracking as well (motion controllers didn't because GearVR never had any, so you had to use a gamepad). I don't know if that still works, but its quite possible you can still sideload the GearVR version if you can manage to :files: it.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

I'm using the super old 3d printed ones and tbh they are holding up great. 15 bucks for injection molded is crazy value though considering. Got a link?

I got this one off amazon.jp for the equivalent of 12 USD https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B094V6CS97/

I see them on amazon.com too but not quite that cheap - https://www.amazon.com//dp/B093BQ688H/ The same thing is listed under lots of names cheaper is possible.

Really happy with it so far, feels solid

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy

njsykora posted:

There was also Zombieland Double Tap which I think was made by the same devs as House of the Dead Overkill which is unfortunate in many ways. I think there are people trying to get various emulators working with VR controllers for lightgun stuff so we might at least have a virtual cabinet at some point.

This is in fact already a thing. https://www.emuvr.net/ EmuVR is loving amazing, though can be a little fiddly to get set up and running, but have played through timecrisis and House of the Dead and it's awesome.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Shoefish posted:

This is in fact already a thing. https://www.emuvr.net/ EmuVR is loving amazing, though can be a little fiddly to get set up and running, but have played through timecrisis and House of the Dead and it's awesome.

Well I know what I'm doing with my next days off work.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

can confirm, playing some house of the dead 2 was a great experience in it.

It really is just a neat thing all around. Having a TV off to one side playing some X-Files episodes while playing some final fantasy 7 on another TV, with the lights off and glow in the dark stickers on the ceiling is a... very tripy 90's experience.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I got this one off amazon.jp for the equivalent of 12 USD https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B094V6CS97/

I see them on amazon.com too but not quite that cheap - https://www.amazon.com//dp/B093BQ688H/ The same thing is listed under lots of names cheaper is possible.

Really happy with it so far, feels solid

The second one is indeed the set I have. Was $16 when I got it, but $20 isn't too bad considering how niche they are.

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
So are we doing a goon guild for zenith? I’ll set it up. I mostly play on Arthur if it’s avail or aether 2

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

First world problem: How do I stop punching the ceiling? Alternately, does Zuck offer some kind of subsidy to move somewhere with ceilings higher than 7 feet?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

GWBBQ posted:

First world problem: How do I stop punching the ceiling? Alternately, does Zuck offer some kind of subsidy to move somewhere with ceilings higher than 7 feet?

7 feet? That's a hobbit hole-house right? :P

But seriously, I hit my fan ceiling twice in VR, and in one of them I was surprised I didn't break the glass cover of the lamp.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BrainDance posted:

ohhh I would. Time to rip open those walls and find a way to turn unfunctional into functional.
Mandatory:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

7 feet? That's a hobbit hole-house right? :P

But seriously, I hit my fan ceiling twice in VR, and in one of them I was surprised I didn't break the glass cover of the lamp.
I rent the third floor of a house built in 1923 (900 sqft for $1600 is a loving steal around here). 7 foot ceilings when you're 6'8" aren't the greatest thing in the world, to say the least. My "little" brother can't even visit if he wears boots because he hits his head on the ceiling if he doesn't go barefoot.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

GWBBQ posted:

If you want more than seated you could do like kneeling. People in low basements doing shoulder presses do that sort of thing.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GWBBQ posted:

I rent the third floor of a house built in 1923 (900 sqft for $1600 is a loving steal around here). 7 foot ceilings when you're 6'8" aren't the greatest thing in the world, to say the least. My "little" brother can't even visit if he wears boots because he hits his head on the ceiling if he doesn't go barefoot.

Jesus, I don't think I'd ever be able to relax in my own house if the ceilings were that close to my head. I def won't complain about 8' ceilings at 6'4" anymore. I got off easy just needing to replace a ceiling fan with a flush mount LED fixture.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

7 foot is a glorious luxury for me, if I had that much room I might not constantly bat the lightbulb around with my head when just walking around.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
i cant play the robot frisbee game because of the ceilings. Thankfully Pavlov doesnt really need any reaching into the air

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I've been playing Sweet Surrender since the Oculus store had a pretty good deal on it for their Lunar New Year sale. It's pretty fun, but frustrating as hell how aiming down the iron sights on weapons is not even remotely accurate, and how you can just lose a run to janky poo poo like a sniper sticking its gun through a wall to shoot you to death, or you getting an arm stuck in a wall while robots take potshots at you, or your character inexplicably tumbling backwards into lava after riding a zipline.

Mostly I just wish you could save in the middle of a run so you could quit and come back later if you want.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

njsykora posted:

7 foot is a glorious luxury for me, if I had that much room I might not constantly bat the lightbulb around with my head when just walking around.

My office is a converted garage with 10'+ ceilings. I am a god walking amongst mere mortals.

edit:

It's the little things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eqPXMobb0U
Cannot wait for this.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 10, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Darts Battle VR went free (was $20)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/6350486418327196

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

This is incredibly niche but does anyone know if the Steam Deck will do PCVR?

It's just a handheld PC with better than average specs.

I wonder what kind of Frankenstein setup we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Shemp the Stooge posted:

Do you happen to be using a vrcover facial interface? That was happening to me when the leather squished Infront of the face sensor and temporarily blocked it. Adjusting the padding to be a bit further out fixed it.

I am and I think this fixed it! Thanks!