Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm hoping for Dragon Quest 3 remake news.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Mother 3 has some pretty heavy story stuff going on, doesn't it? I've been meaning to play it for years now, just never gotten around to it. I thought there was some touchy subject matter that wouldn't translate well or something?

I believe there were characters that were...rather dated stereotypes of trans women, but I could be mis-remembering.

Quick edit: here we go.
https://earthbound.fandom.com/wiki/Magypsy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Snake Maze posted:

I've never played Earthbound but I just looked up some ads and it sounds like it's mostly about farts and grossout humor? Seems pretty childish tbh, glad Nintendo never bothered translating the sequel.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

External Organs posted:

I'm not 100% sure but it'll probably be like most 90s things and be full of racist overtones that went over your head when you were younger.

wha

The Postman
May 12, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the magypsy are somewhat outdated but they are also treated as powerful and wise and are not treated as a joke

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The hot cool guy takes are coming in fast and hard, I see. Good poo poo everyone.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the magypsy own

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

“Heh. I’m too smart for this overrated pixel art junk. Time to let all the plebs know what the real deal is”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if earthbound was a good game then it would have sold a million copies on the snes... but it didnt. and i do not believe that nintendo, the greatest company in the world, could be bad at advertising...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

When someone tells you who they are, believe them. "The first role-playing game with B.O."? This is clearly not worth playing.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Snake Maze posted:

When someone tells you who they are, believe them. "The first role-playing game with B.O."? This is clearly not worth playing.

Holy poo poo I remember that ad

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
nintendo had so much faith in earthbound that they made it smell look like poop after tricking you into paying 90 dollars for it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

going on a peyote spiritual journey to figure out what’s up with this “earthbound” game people are talking about

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been a while since I've played so I'm not sure if there's any specific objectionable content, but just with the overall concept of the Magypsy themselves I've come around from thinking it was something that Nintendo would be embarrassed of and try to shy away from to something that would be celebrated in today's social climate.

Then again we've only had the fan translation so maybe it was worse than that.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
It kinda boggles my mind that Sakurai doesn't put some more characters from obscure franchises in as fighters to increase interest in those franchises for Nintendo, like Custom Robo or Sin and Punishment. I would have liked to see Takeru from Mysterious Murasame Castle or Lip from Panel de Pon in, and I guarantee that those characters would gain a huge boost in popularity like the Earthbound and Fire Emblem franchises have

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They made a new Sin and Punishment after Saki was on Brawl and it still sold like total garbage.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Willo567 posted:

It kinda boggles my mind that Sakurai doesn't put some more characters from obscure franchises in as fighters to increase interest in those franchises for Nintendo, like Custom Robo or Sin and Punishment. I would have liked to see Takeru from Mysterious Murasame Castle or Lip from Panel de Pon in, and I guarantee that those characters would gain a huge boost in popularity like the Earthbound and Fire Emblem franchises have

On the other hand, Kid Icarus Uprising. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I feel like that was the big test for rebooting older franchises and I don’t think it was successful to the level Nintendo wanted

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

DC Murderverse posted:

On the other hand, Kid Icarus Uprising. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed it, but I feel like that was the big test for rebooting older franchises and I don’t think it was successful to the level Nintendo wanted

I'd buy it again if it meant playing it on a console in a way that wouldn't destroy my fuckin' hands.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

god I loving love Earthbound

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
So when are we supposed to find out what's coming out?

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Direct starts in 45 minutes

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Momomo posted:

They made a new Sin and Punishment after Saki was on Brawl and it still sold like total garbage.

A trophy isn't the same as a playable character.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lastdancer posted:

Chrono Cross Remaster/Chrono Trigger switch game bundle announcement today or ban me for 10000 years
:toxx:

Shouldve just said Chrono Trigger. That's at least mildly likely. No way Square wouldn't sell them separately for more money.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

dr.acula posted:

17.99 on Steam translates to 35.99 on Switch. However im Canadian so thats 49.99 for me

:hmmyes:

:sigh: :canada:

Oh God I'm going to end up buying this game for the sixth time, aren't I

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think a very substantial number of people but games based on who is in smash.

In fact I think it’s the opposite, they add characters to squeeze a little more sales out for smash

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

magypsies ftw

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You can't deny the smash brothers effect on fire emblem getting accepted/popular in the west. Esp with how many people ask about whether marth and roy are in this game etc. But yeah not sure if it really worked with any other franchise

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I atleast hope the direct has something as funny as the Mario movie reveal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KingSlime posted:

You can't deny the smash brothers effect on fire emblem getting accepted/popular in the west. Esp with how many people ask about whether marth and roy are in this game etc. But yeah not sure if it really worked with any other franchise

Kid Icarus to an extent

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

CharlestheHammer posted:

I atleast hope the direct has something as funny as the Mario movie reveal

Wario TV show, starring Samuel L Jackson as Wario

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Just gently caress me up with Prime Trilogy already Nintendo

Lastdancer posted:

Chrono Cross Remaster/Chrono Trigger switch game bundle announcement today or ban me for 10000 years
:toxx:

Could have just said a month

:rip: if not announced

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
5 minutes!!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Easy link for all the cool kids watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhDFA_O7zNg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress.

This direct sucks

Lol

Garbage

Nintendo is Doomed

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

This'll be the first Direct I watch live as opposed to waking up and remembering that one happened and watching it after the fact :woop:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Splatoon 3

Silksong

Botw2

Zelda x Rabbids Hyrule Battle

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Bloop posted:

gently caress.

This direct sucks

Lol

Garbage

Nintendo is Doomed

Bingo!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I always love the chaos these Directs bring to the thread.

People give a lot of poo poo to the instant reactions but I loving love them and always enjoy reading them and posting my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This will get lost before the flood of posts about the direct, but Piczle Colors is on sale and if you like Picross you absolutely should pick it up.