Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It’s really beyond hosed up that he will not ever face any serious consequences. Everyone is afraid or just groveling pieces of poo poo with zero integrity.

That most of sports media don’t care and are willing to be collegial with him and the barstool brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

soggybagel posted:

It’s really beyond hosed up that he will not ever face any serious consequences. Everyone is afraid or just groveling pieces of poo poo with zero integrity.

That most of sports media don’t care and are willing to be collegial with him and the barstool brand.

Apparently Penn announced that they’re looking to buy 100% of Barstool so if nothing else, it looks like he’s gonna get shoved out of his own company.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
He's going to get paid a poo poo-ton of money to start something even worse.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/JimTrotter_NFL/status/1489258340265824258?s=20&t=nvlDrO1Ot_BvpTutG4FkXQ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare:

E: oh my god dudes follow up email yiiiiikes

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 3, 2022

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Maybe the guy who sent that knows something about Mr. Trotter that we don't.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

So, is the completely terrible redaction on purpose? The guy who wrote that email got his bylines wiped to "staff" already on the very clearly readable website.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
How the hell do you know enough about Junior Seau to know that he would have an opinion on this but not enough to know he's dead?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
I am gobsmacked by that. I shouldn't be because we will in a hellworld and I look forward to the ever closer heat death of the universe, but still.

Jesus.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

DJExile posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

E: oh my god dudes follow up email yiiiiikes

I am reminded of an article that said 'being a journalist requires no actual skill or thought other than being willing to bother people.'

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

OPAONI posted:

I am reminded of an article that said 'being a journalist requires no actual skill or thought other than being willing to bother people.'
I saw someone point out that it's full of especially dumb failsons because there is no credentialing - if you're too dumb to get a medical, law, or even business degree, well there's always journalism.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

He’s been a sports journalist for 30 years and somehow missed Seau killing himself. Trotter should just out the dude.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bird in a Blender posted:

He’s been a sports journalist for 30 years and somehow missed Seau killing himself. Trotter should just out the dude.

The redacted marks were pretty poorly done and people already figured out it was Chris Sheridan.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
That dude is hilarious, I remember he put up his own shingle after getting fired from his last high-profile gig. SheridanHoops.com with GeoCities-rear end web design

https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/1485659442179936262?s=21

https://twitter.com/sheridanhoops/status/1483355931505213441?s=21

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Well that explains a lot.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

There have been a few indications over the years that he's got some issues.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Maybe he thinks Seau faked his death. There’s gotta be a few truthers out there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Related to the Defector Normal Gossip podcast I listed to a few more and it's good, it's just the first guest was a really sad and mean person and it set a bad tone.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this could be a shitshow

from a kraken writer

https://twitter.com/Marisa_Ingemi/status/1491509905202683912

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Care to explain why?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

uggy posted:

Care to explain why?

From what I can tell, she wrote a story about Barstool months ago and it looks like Portnoy has sicced his goons.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Extremely good optics to convince a Boston writer to move across the country to cover a new team and then fire her halfway through their first season

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Apparently Marisa Ingemi had pissed off... you guessed it! Dave Portnoy over reporting on him being lovely to a woman's hockey player suffering a major injury. All the barstool dipshits are coming in full force.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So why’d she get fired

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

General Dog posted:

So why’d she get fired

that's a good question, and I'm sure that the Seattle Times will tell us just as soon as they invent a reason more compelling than "Portnoy got mad"

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Defector has some details https://defector.com/seattle-times-marisa-ingemi-kraken-fired/

Of note, she had 2 weeks before ending her at-will probationary period and becoming a status employee with full union protection. The timing of this seems way more nefarious than whatever the Portnoy rumors are.

Also lol Geoff Baker continues to be a cowardly piece of poo poo

quote:

One signature that several reporters pointed out was notably missing from the petition was that of Ingemi’s beat partner, Geoff Baker, who also covers the Kraken. Baker also did not respond to Defector’s request for comment in time for publication. Now that Ingemi has been fired, only one woman remains on the Times‘ sports desk. Several employees told Defector that they’re sad to lose Ingemi because of her stories, and also because she brought a fresh perspective to the section.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Geoff Baker used to be the beat writer for the Mariners, and had a hall of fame vote. His Twitter bio said he was the biggest Edgar Martinez fan, then when voting came along, he'd vote for like 2 people (usually lovely votes) and have a long BS reason why he didn't vote for Edgar.

He's a lovely hack.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
It seems like Geoff Baker has been in a power struggle with every beat reporter in the city. He has an absolutely awful reputation.

Also Barstool simps really are brigading twitter replies about her. Just the weirdest, most pathetic people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wonder if the Kraken blackballed her for some reason and the Barstool thing is just a coincidence.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

General Dog posted:

Wonder if the Kraken blackballed her for some reason and the Barstool thing is just a coincidence.

This had nothing to do with the team. The Times has been a toxic cesspool long before Marisa got there.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Stolen from NHL thread but she posted this the day she was fired (before being fired I assume):
https://twitter.com/Marisa_Ingemi/s...ingawful.com%2F

For those not following minor league hockey a white guy did a racism against a black guy

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Well, didn't think this was how I was gonna learn the Seattle Times sucked. Guess I should look into cancelling?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

OneMoreTime posted:

Well, didn't think this was how I was gonna learn the Seattle Times sucked. Guess I should look into cancelling?

The Seattle Times editorial board has endorsed George W. Bush twice, Rob McKenna, rejecting Sound Transit 3, several Tim Eyman initiatives, Dave Reichert, and all the lovely candidates that won Seattle's municipal election. Only 2 of the 9 of the editorial board actually live in Seattle. They have some great reporters (and some real hack ones, of course) who's work gets hosed over by their garbage editorial board. There are better ways to get your news from that piece of poo poo paper.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

seiferguy posted:

The Seattle Times editorial board has endorsed George W. Bush twice, Rob McKenna, rejecting Sound Transit 3, several Tim Eyman initiatives, Dave Reichert, and all the lovely candidates that won Seattle's municipal election. Only 2 of the 9 of the editorial board actually live in Seattle. They have some great reporters (and some real hack ones, of course) who's work gets hosed over by their garbage editorial board. There are better ways to get your news from that piece of poo poo paper.

thank you for this. i've known for a long time the times sucks, but could only find their sub-headline for when Sarah Hughes won gold over Michelle Kwan, and that they donated advertising to Rob McKenna.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most major newspapers either have lovely editorial boards, lovely owners, lovely advertisers or some combination of the three.

Also when i was right out of college i occasionally wrote for some amateur site Marisa ran (she was probably the same age). It's been weird to see her pop up as a big 4 beat writer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Henchman of Santa posted:

Most major newspapers either have lovely editorial boards, lovely owners, lovely advertisers or some combination of the three.

Thing is, Seattle used to have 2 papers, the Times and the PI. The PI was much more liberal swaying to balance the Times being lovely. The PI lost its funding and went digital only awhile back, and now exists as a listicle site, more or less. Times of course, stays afloat through various dubious means.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

Thing is, Seattle used to have 2 papers, the Times and the PI. The PI was much more liberal swaying to balance the Times being lovely. The PI lost its funding and went digital only awhile back, and now exists as a listicle site, more or less. Times of course, stays afloat through various dubious means.

That's essentially what happened in Madison, Wisconsin. The Capital Times was formed in something like 1917 because the founder couldn't stand how pro-war and conservative the Wisconsin State Journal had become. The WSJ and Cap Times merged in the late 1940s, and then the company shifted the Cap Times' publication from daily to weekly back in 2008. Nowadays, the Cap Times exists as a shell of itself, a website imprint of the WSJ that is no longer allowed to express overly progressive views due to mandates from the WSJ's editorial board.

I had a spat with them a year or so ago because the editor had endorsed Joe Biden as the best Democratic candidate to win the 2020 election, citing his ability to work across the aisle and mend broken bridges and all that. Then in March of last year, their editor published an opinion piece saying that Biden was wasting his time trying to make deals with Republicans because it's been evident for years they have no intention of working together.

Can't have it both ways, dumbass.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Apparently Marisa Ingemi had pissed off... you guessed it! Dave Portnoy over reporting on him being lovely to a woman's hockey player suffering a major injury. All the barstool dipshits are coming in full force.

Not that they deserve fairness, but it seems from what I read that Portnoy didn’t actually say what she said he did and Barstool had actually raised like $100k+ for the injured player shortly after the injury occurred.

It sounded like a case of “this is very much something he would say” but he didn’t actually say it. I saw the tweet with the video and he used the injury to make a stupid point about the league but he wasn’t actually mocking the injured girl like the Vice article claimed.

There’s also apparently some long ago beef between the writer and Portnoy from her time in Boston that has something to do with rally towels but I had no desire to read/watch anything else about Portnoy.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 10, 2022

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Basically from what it looked like, Portnoy made a video mocking her injury, then got called out on it, then made a fundraiser for her and a documentary about her (seems pre-planned as if he expected to catch heat and wanted to use it as a gotcha moment). Marisa basically reported on the Bruins using rally towels sponsored by Barstool, with a basic question of "why are you allowing a brand as controversial as barstool to sponsor stuff for you" which is a 100% legitimate question to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I mean Barstool does this bullshit all the time. They do fundraisers for businesses during covid or whatever and yeah its good but they use it as a smoke screen not that they even need it to do lovely stuff. gently caress them.