Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Gripweed posted:

If the offensive bigotry is such an integral part of the game that it couldn't be easily fixed in localization, why the gently caress have people been begging for the game for so long?

Why are you all getting so weird over this game you obviously have zero interest in playing ahahaha

I played it with a translation patch like 10 years ago. It was a cute and fun RPG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If the offensive bigotry is such an integral part of the game that it couldn't be easily fixed in localization, why the gently caress have people been begging for the game for so long?

Because it is an exceptionally good game in almost all respects and that one particular bit isn't intended in a nasty way per say but can translate reaaaaaallly badly.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

punk rebel ecks posted:

HD-2D Mother 3 could be interesting, but the magypsies are such a major part of the game.

You can't just change the Magypsies to look different?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Willo567 posted:

That's a very minor character in Breath of the Wild in an optional sidequest. The Magypsies are very important to Mother 3's plot

the crossdressing bit is a required quest to get to one of the four divine beasts, actually.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

hatty posted:

What was wrong with the Magypsies I forget

Well for one they are called that. Second is that they are presented as sort of trying to get a kid drugged and naked in a hot tub or something to give him powers, if I remember right that was a point of contention when the unofficial translation came out.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

No F-ZERO, automatic 0/10 direct thanks see you next time Nintendo thread

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Well the assholes did it - I finally have the expansion pass for switch

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mother 3 is never coming out. The way they handle non-binary characters makes it a landmine of controversy.

Isn't Lucas molested by someone at a hot spring to unlock his PSI abilities? I remember playing the fan translated version on an emulator, hitting that part, and thinking "ok this has to be the translator going overboard" and no it was just a hosed up weird scene.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

redreader posted:

I think I'm the only person who wants to play Bayonetta 3, but I'm disappointed nonetheless.

I'm with you, friend.

Shinjobi posted:

Good god XBC2 had awful direction, with the lead being the worst offender. The voices weren't the issue, the delivery was.

It's difficult to deliver a good performance when the writing is that bad.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Gripweed posted:

it's more that nobody knows why it's never been localized so people tend to overinflate their perceived reasons

it's been 16 years now, the fan theories as to why it's never been localized change every couple years

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

KingSlime posted:

Why are you all getting so weird over this game you obviously have zero interest in playing ahahaha

I played it with a translation patch like 10 years ago. It was a cute and fun RPG

If the offensive parts are too integrated into the game to easily fix, then yeah it's weird that people have been desperately whining for the game for 20 years.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Mother 3 is never coming out. The way they handle non-binary characters makes it a landmine of controversy.

people always say poo poo like this but I bet its not the case

E: still remember the years of people saying earthbound could never be re-released for music rights and then it was rereleased with all the songs intact no?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ImpAtom posted:

Because it is an exceptionally good game in almost all respects and that one particular bit isn't intended in a nasty way per say but can translate reaaaaaallly badly.

then they should just change that part

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bleck posted:

It's difficult to deliver a good performance when the writing is that bad.
the jp VAs do a good job tho

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Endorph posted:

the Welsh catgirl in the English version is an all-time great character

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Willo567 posted:

You can't just change the Magypsies to look different?

Yes but erasing them entirely would also be lovely. They exist in a very weird area where a wrong change probably is more offensive than the original

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Mother 3 is a good game. don't mind people being goofballs about the magypsies, those posters have to walk around being like that and that's punishment enough

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Endorph posted:

English VA for Xenoblade 1

Japanese VA for Xenoblade 2

imo

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Also, sorry Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Booster Circuit Pack DLC Waves, you cannot replace the hole in my heart from Super Smash Brothers Ultimate New Fighter DLC Waves ending

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Gripweed posted:

If the offensive parts are too integrated into the game to easily fix, then yeah it's weird that people have been desperately whining for the game for 20 years.

You should play the game. Its a minor bit that feels outdated more than meanspirited but yes it would be a quick easy fix.

Overall a cute and charming romp with a fun battle system. I haven't felt compelled to go back and play it but it stands up there with the best GBA rpgs

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The REAL Goobusters posted:

people always say poo poo like this but I bet its not the case

E: still remember the years of people saying earthbound could never be re-released for music rights and then it was rereleased with all the songs intact no?

Yeah, fans just made up that theory.

Also, Nintendo has stolen songs without issue in the past. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5ef_KAZlY

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the magypsies arent any more offensive than the poo poo nintendo gladly puts into other games or stuff they gladly rerelease and the hyperfocus on them is just trying to read tealeaves. mother 3 isnt getting localized cause nobody at nintendo gives a poo poo about it. mother 1 got tl'd because it has like 12 lines of dialogue and earthbound gets rereleased because its already translated

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Magypsies came across as worse to me. Though it’s been ten years since I’ve played it.

Yeah, from what I played of Mother 3 the Magypsies are much more flamboyant and stereotypical, while the gay guy in Breath of the Wild was a lot more downplayed and not really noticeable except for his face.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Can someone tell me more about Front Mission 1st? It's the only thing I didn't know much about that looked really intriguing.

Front Mission is a turn based strategy game like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM where you control a team of mechs called Wanzers (a portmanteau of Wanderung Panzer - they were invented in Germany). You move your units around a 3d map with elevation/line of sight breakers. Different characters have different proficiencies, such as melee combat, indirect lock-on missiles, assault weapons, etc.

The mechs are pretty customizable. You can switch out the chassis, arms, legs, and the weapons (which can be mounted on the hands and shoulders of most arms for a maximum of four mounted weapons total) along with a few subsystems. There's weight and power restrictions to build around, and different parts are good at different things, so it's pretty fun to spend a lot of time tweaking your pilots' setups. It's a great game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Endorph posted:

i think the magypsies arent any more offensive than the poo poo nintendo gladly puts into other games or stuff they gladly rerelease and the hyperfocus on them is just trying to read tealeaves. mother 3 isnt getting localized cause nobody at nintendo gives a poo poo about it. mother 1 got tl'd because it has like 12 lines of dialogue and earthbound gets rereleased because its already translated

this.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

every year the mother fandom gathers together to hold a ceremony where they invent a new reason why Mother 3 hasn't been localized yet

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm excited for video games and i'm going to play a lot of them

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm glad Xeno 3 is ditching the goofy designs and wank fodder, personally

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Chillgamesh posted:

Front Mission is a turn based strategy game like Final Fantasy Tactics or XCOM where you control a team of mechs called Wanzers (a portmanteau of Wanderung Panzer - they were invented in Germany). You move your units around a 3d map with elevation/line of sight breakers. Different characters have different proficiencies, such as melee combat, indirect lock-on missiles, assault weapons, etc.

The mechs are pretty customizable. You can switch out the chassis, arms, legs, and the weapons (which can be mounted on the hands and shoulders of most arms for a maximum of four mounted weapons total) along with a few subsystems. There's weight and power restrictions to build around, and different parts are good at different things, so it's pretty fun to spend a lot of time tweaking your pilots' setups. It's a great game.

That sounds incredible.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

actually i'm pretty sure mother 1 was translated around when it was first released, just never made it through the rest of the process to get released in the US.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That sounds incredible.

it is
if you've ever liked a TRPG it's like nectar

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i'm the chrono cross fan who's really excited about it coming to the switch

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

hold your horses, they only had like a minute to show footage

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
There's a vision of the future in my mind, where a Chrono Trigger pixel remaster comes out, and that is going to be a great day

I know there are people who think they look chintzy or whatever, but to me they add just enough new stuff to make it worth playing through again without loving with the goods enough to risk ruining it, like if they made it look like one of those modern Dragon Quest games (No offense to people who like modern 3D voice acted JRPGs, but they are all glacier slow, and CT's briskness is one of it's greatest strengths)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Yeah I'm glad Xenoblade 1 is behind us

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Expansion Pack Buyers Stay Winning

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
My power went out like 3 minutes after the direct started until just now. Am I banned?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Frankston posted:

My Nintendo switch continues to develop a nice thick layer of dust. Oh well back to the PS5 thread.

The PlayStation 5 has no games.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Frankston posted:

No F-ZERO, automatic 0/10 direct thanks see you next time Nintendo thread

With the MK8 DLC going into 2023, I'm resigned to the notion that F-Zaro will probably not happen on the Switch, unless it's something very weird.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The PlayStation 5 has no games.

more like the Playstation has no 5

cause you can't loving get the thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Endorph posted:

mother 1 was also fully localised back in 1990 but nintendo of america just decided not to release it because they didn't think an rpg like it would sell that well & other marketing reasons