Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

The Demilich posted:

Opinions on speaker combinations in extension cabs, specifically what pairs well sound wise with 2x12" Celestion v30's (I have the Harley Benton G212v).
I play a baritone in A1 standard to give an idea about the range I dabble in. I can and do go lower and do sometimes, and I don't play with a bassist so I'm not worried about stepping on any toes.

I'm looking to increase my cabinets total wattage by adding an additional 8ohm extension cab to bring me up to a minimum of 200watts (I'm currently @ 120 watts with the x2 v30's @ 8ohms).
The reason for this is my amps maximum output is 200 watts, so I want to make sure I won't blow things out when maxing everything.

I'm open to any speaker size btw. I just want opinions on which speakers other players think sound great in tandem with what I have listed above. Ideally I'd like to keep the dB sensitivity within +/-2 of 100db, as that is what the v30's are listed at.

Weber makes awesome speakers, and a whole range of high power ones.

https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/high-power-series/12-models-5/ceramic-5/

And the Tone Cvlt series made for drop tunings.

https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/tonecvlt/12-models-9/

I play guitar in Open A and I use 6x12's most the time, an Orange 2x12 and 4x12, same Celestion v30''s you have, and they work for me.

Edit : Just re-read you are open to different speakers sizes, I love 12's, and 15's together, the only problem is a two 15 cab is usually the same size as a standard 4x12, but if you have a transportation, and a space to fit it, I would for sure go with 15's.

My old guitar rig on the left 4x12 on top, 2x15 on bottom, loaded with Weber speakers. Both cabs were the same size which was kinda a pain in the rear end. Bass rig next to it, 2x10, 2x12, 2x15. I often combined them in a bunch of configurations, and they all sound great.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I want to go cordless when I practice guitar/bass/keyboard/trumpet with the Yamaha mute system- does anyone have opinions on the best versatile bluetooth setup?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

I want to go cordless when I practice guitar/bass/keyboard/trumpet with the Yamaha mute system- does anyone have opinions on the best versatile bluetooth setup?

Bluetooth is going to have too much latency, you're going to have to look into a more traditional wireless setup.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

DrChu posted:

Bluetooth is going to have too much latency, you're going to have to look into a more traditional wireless setup.

Thanks, Semper gumbi. What would you recommend for a small room?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

If I describe my classroom is there somebody who could just be like “buy this sound system and you will be able to hear it over 50 middle schoolers making band noises”

I have a setup a former parent donated, but I think I blew out the speakers? Because it’s quiet and and has like noise when I play music on it now. But also it only has two speaker inputs and bc of how my room works I really need three so that I can torture percussionists with a metronome properly.

As you can probably tell as soon as anything musical starts involving electricity I am lost as gently caress, help

Edit: as you can probably tell from context, $$ is gonna be an issue, but I’d rather aim for something decent that will last than try and cheap out, it’ll just be one of those “let’s fundraise for nice things!” things

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Yeah you probably blew either the speaker or the amp.

I would go hunt down an old home stereo with A/B outputs. Then you can hook up to four speakers that you get from whatever, and not worry about impedance matching. And those can be garage sale discoveries too.

e: be sure when wiring it up that you always connect the red terminals to the red terminals. If you cross one over, then you're going to induce this weird effect where people directly in the middle will not hear much of anything. it's actually a kind of cool effect if you teach the physics of sound...

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence
Here's my small problem and I'm sure someone can answer it:

I bought a new Macbook Pro for music. I have never owned an apple product before, so the UX is a little confusing.

I have installed Ableton and all the packs I had installed on my old Windows based setup. Also installed Melodyne, which is the only plugin I currently use.

BUT! I can't get ableton to see Melodyne. I'm using all the default installation locations.

It's probably obvious, but I cannot figure it out.

Edit: is it because the latest Ableton is M1 native and Melodyne needs Rosetta?

JeffLeonard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 12, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Pokey Araya posted:

Weber makes awesome speakers, and a whole range of high power ones.

https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/high-power-series/12-models-5/ceramic-5/

And the Tone Cvlt series made for drop tunings.

https://www.tedweber.com/speakers/tonecvlt/12-models-9/

I play guitar in Open A and I use 6x12's most the time, an Orange 2x12 and 4x12, same Celestion v30''s you have, and they work for me.

Edit : Just re-read you are open to different speakers sizes, I love 12's, and 15's together, the only problem is a two 15 cab is usually the same size as a standard 4x12, but if you have a transportation, and a space to fit it, I would for sure go with 15's.

My old guitar rig on the left 4x12 on top, 2x15 on bottom, loaded with Weber speakers. Both cabs were the same size which was kinda a pain in the rear end. Bass rig next to it, 2x10, 2x12, 2x15. I often combined them in a bunch of configurations, and they all sound great.

This helped immensely, thank you

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

JeffLeonard posted:

Here's my small problem and I'm sure someone can answer it:

I bought a new Macbook Pro for music. I have never owned an apple product before, so the UX is a little confusing.

I have installed Ableton and all the packs I had installed on my old Windows based setup. Also installed Melodyne, which is the only plugin I currently use.

BUT! I can't get ableton to see Melodyne. I'm using all the default installation locations.

It's probably obvious, but I cannot figure it out.

Edit: is it because the latest Ableton is M1 native and Melodyne needs Rosetta?

Yes, that's it. Ableton 11.1 won't see Intel only plugins. If melodyne has an au that should work, or you can have Ableton start with Rosetta anyway. I did that to be able to work on my older projects and it works fine.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415807634322-How-to-open-Live-using-Rosetta

JeffLeonard
Apr 18, 2003

TV Violence

Simone Poodoin posted:

Yes, that's it. Ableton 11.1 won't see Intel only plugins. If melodyne has an au that should work, or you can have Ableton start with Rosetta anyway. I did that to be able to work on my older projects and it works fine.

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415807634322-How-to-open-Live-using-Rosetta

Thanks for the help.

I figured out the au thing and new projects work with melodyne. I can just use my old computer if I want to revisit older projects.

Thanks again!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Pokey Araya posted:

When you say Open A do you mean drop A or like A E C#? Cause that rig is not the rig of a player that uptunes. If its the latter, I'm assuming its some low-tuned version of open A and I'd be curious what that is.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I was thinking they meant open A tuning (eaeac#e) pegged at A1 :iiam:

Pokey how do you feel about a 1x12 200w Black Shuck paired with either a 1x15 Weber 150w Werewolf or maybe some type of beastly Eminance speaker? I wonder if that would sound great paired with the v30's?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I guess it would be pretty straight forward with a baritone tuning now that I think about it. b f# d a E B -> a e c# a E A is all downtuned or standard for each string.

Makes me want to try some weird sus or add chord open tuning now but I'm bad enough in standard lmao

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

When you say Open A do you mean drop A or like A E C#? Cause that rig is not the rig of a player that uptunes. If its the latter, I'm assuming its some low-tuned version of open A and I'd be curious what that is.

The Demilich posted:

I was thinking they meant open A tuning (eaeac#e) pegged at A1 :iiam:

Pokey how do you feel about a 1x12 200w Black Shuck paired with either a 1x15 Weber 150w Werewolf or maybe some type of beastly Eminance speaker? I wonder if that would sound great paired with the v30's?

The tuning is AEAEAA, lol heres a video I did because everyone is like wtf when I tell them that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtcCNRKurhk

As far as those specific Weber speakers go, I haven't played them. Only way to find out if they sound good together is to try them. I will say almost every speaker setup I've paired with the V30's sounds great. I've played all the 12" Tonekvlt series, and they all sound great.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I'm trying the Syntorial app and have a question about pulse waves: when it comes to sound is there a significant difference between when the duty cycle is under or over 50%? For example if pulse width is at 60% or at 40% it sounds the same to me.

e: maybe this question belongs in the synth thread

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hi Musician's Lounge. I want to learn the harmonium, but I'm finding it difficult to locate one locally. There are some on Amazon and ebay as well as dedicated harmonium websites anywhere from $250 to thousands. I was thinking of getting one in the $350 range with the though that, if I really end up enjoying it and stick with it, I can always upgrade down the line. That being said, I also don't want to get stuck with a piece of poo poo that turns me off. Does anyone play the harmonium or know enough about them to offer me any advice?

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Simone Poodoin posted:

I'm trying the Syntorial app and have a question about pulse waves: when it comes to sound is there a significant difference between when the duty cycle is under or over 50%? For example if pulse width is at 60% or at 40% it sounds the same to me.

e: maybe this question belongs in the synth thread

My gut says they should sound identical. I think you'd only notice if you played a 40% and a 60% at the same time. You'd probably get phasing that would sound different than two 40%s.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

for fucks sake posted:

My gut says they should sound identical. I think you'd only notice if you played a 40% and a 60% at the same time. You'd probably get phasing that would sound different than two 40%s.

Thanks, I got the answer in the synth thread, they do indeed sound identical and if it's a 40% or a 60% only matters as you say in how they interact with other waves.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I'm trying to work on my jazz guitar and the whole "ascending/descending" thing regarding harmonic/natural/melodic minor. Does anyone have a guide around this concept that's wicked simple or that worked really well for them?

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Kvlt! posted:

I'm trying to work on my jazz guitar and the whole "ascending/descending" thing regarding harmonic/natural/melodic minor. Does anyone have a guide around this concept that's wicked simple or that worked really well for them?

It's gravity, pulling the notes towards their 'goal' destination. Other notes can get pulled too, the destination can change. But basically if there's two places a note could be, this 'gravity' can affect where they're 'leaning', or raising/lowering them can show you where the notes 'want' to go. Even if they don't go directly to their goal, they'll still 'orbit' it. That's how I came to think about it after a while, personally.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.

Kvlt! posted:

Can you be more specific? The deal with the raised notes in the harmonic and melodic minors is that it makes the interval between the 7th and 8th degrees of the scale a minor 2nd and also implies a V-i cadence. If you play the natural minor ascending (without any raised notes), the major 2nd interval between the 7th and 8th just doesn't give you the same feeling of finality.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So I have a dumb question: I'm trying to make my first ever music project in Audition (just because I know barely anything about music won't stop me!), and it's a plunderphonics album. Basically, I'm trying to emulate the sound from this album which I love - https://deathsdynamicshroud.bandcamp.com/album/rpg

It's got this great... nostalgic, faded feel? Some of the tracks are slowed down, that's obvious, but can you tell me what other effects they're using that I can emulate? Is it a compressor? Any tips?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Alan_Shore posted:

So I have a dumb question: I'm trying to make my first ever music project in Audition (just because I know barely anything about music won't stop me!), and it's a plunderphonics album. Basically, I'm trying to emulate the sound from this album which I love - https://deathsdynamicshroud.bandcamp.com/album/rpg

It's got this great... nostalgic, faded feel? Some of the tracks are slowed down, that's obvious, but can you tell me what other effects they're using that I can emulate? Is it a compressor? Any tips?

Well, a poo poo ton of reverb, for one, and a bit of sidechain compression. That's the technical term for when one signal (like a kick drum) cuts out another signal (like a bunch of synth pads. There also seems to be some crunchy degradation added to the pads, might be using something like Izotope's free Vinyl plugin.

I did a vaporwave-inspired game soundtrack a little while ago and used it pretty much the whole way through.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That's awesome! Thanks! Exactly what I was after. I don't suppose you could go into a bit more detail on exactly what I'd use in Audition, if you know? You can send it in a DM if it'll bog up the thread

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
XLN Audio's plugin RC-20 is also great for lo-fi. Costs a bit of money (unlike Vinyl) but it's way more versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-FFWr_9JKk

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

That's awesome! Thanks! Exactly what I was after. I don't suppose you could go into a bit more detail on exactly what I'd use in Audition, if you know? You can send it in a DM if it'll bog up the thread

Unfortunately, no, I've only used Audition for some fix ups for stuff I had going in Premiere. Sorry.

I know people do, but I don't know how one would use it as a (musical) DAW, so more power to ya.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Unfortunately, no, I've only used Audition for some fix ups for stuff I had going in Premiere. Sorry.

I know people do, but I don't know how one would use it as a (musical) DAW, so more power to ya.

What did you use?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

What did you use?

In no particular order: Reaper (currently, and what I used for my project that I referred to), Logic 7, 9, Reason, FL Studio, ProTools 6, and MTV Music Generator (my first experience making music).

I feel like Audition is a fancy, professionally-backed version of Audacity, in that it's more suited for audio editing and fixing up stuff, rather than for musical purposes. I could be completely wrong, because it's been a couple years since I last touched it, but there are programs that are based on musicality instead of just importing audio and working with it.

I also found Audition weirdly processor unfriendly, and it felt power hungry for what other programs seem to handle no problem.

Does Audition have a musical setup at all (like a beat-or-measure-based timeline)? Does it have support for VST plugins? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't recall using either of those features in it.

I'd honestly recommend dipping your toes into Reaper. It's got a lot of flexibility, it's cheap (and free to try), but most importantly, it looks, feels, and behaves like a 'regular' DAW, for lack of a better term. I mean that in using it, if you ever decide to jump ship to another DAW, a LOT of the workflow is similar. You'll have learned a lot about the fundamental theory of tracking, mixing, effects chains, auxiliary bussing, etc.

As a wonderful bonus, Reaper is also really great at audio editing and sound design. At least it is for me.

If you have a specific question about a specific moment or something you hear, I can pull up exact details of how I did it and what I used. With those questions, we can switch to PMs.

I hope all of this helps!

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2022

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

fellow dds fan here!

personally i love vhs audio degration suite by james peck for any kind of vaporwave adjacent sound, tho its best if used with a light touch. unfortunately it requires the full version of reaktor

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11003/

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

XLN Audio's plugin RC-20 is also great for lo-fi. Costs a bit of money (unlike Vinyl) but it's way more versatile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-FFWr_9JKk

This does look good, thanks for the recommendation!

In no particular order: Reaper (currently, and what I used for my project that I referred to), Logic 7, 9, Reason, FL Studio, ProTools 6, and MTV Music Generator (my first experience making music).

I feel like Audition is a fancy, professionally-backed version of Audacity, in that it's more suited for audio editing and fixing up stuff, rather than for musical purposes. I could be completely wrong, because it's been a couple years since I last touched it, but there are programs that are based on musicality instead of just importing audio and working with it.

I also found Audition weirdly processor unfriendly, and it felt power hungry for what other programs seem to handle no problem.

Does Audition have a musical setup at all (like a beat-or-measure-based timeline)? Does it have support for VST plugins? I'm genuinely asking, because I don't recall using either of those features in it.

I'd honestly recommend dipping your toes into Reaper. It's got a lot of flexibility, it's cheap (and free to try), but most importantly, it looks, feels, and behaves like a 'regular' DAW, for lack of a better term. I mean that in using it, if you ever decide to jump ship to another DAW, a LOT of the workflow is similar. You'll have learned a lot about the fundamental theory of tracking, mixing, effects chains, auxiliary bussing, etc.

As a wonderful bonus, Reaper is also really great at audio editing and sound design. At least it is for me.

If you have a specific question about a specific moment or something you hear, I can pull up exact details of how I did it and what I used. With those questions, we can switch to PMs.

I hope all of this helps!

I do believe you're right about Audacity. I've only done a few tutorials but it looks like it's mainly for putting mostly finished audio together, like for podcasts and video. I was naively hoping I could run a few filters and play around (I'm an experienced video editor) but no, I think I need something like Reaper.

I just don't know much or anything about music production and don't know how to get the ideas I have in my head (it's a Sega Saturn plunderphonics album, a trip down memory lane) into a program. But I'll try Reaper out, check out your work and maybe ask a question or two. Thanks!

Earwicker posted:

fellow dds fan here!

personally i love vhs audio degration suite by james peck for any kind of vaporwave adjacent sound, tho its best if used with a light touch. unfortunately it requires the full version of reaktor

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/11003/

Hey, glad to know I'm not the only one haha

This looks great but I guess it doesn't work with Reaper. Looks like I'll have to give Vinyl a try

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

This looks great but I guess it doesn't work with Reaper. Looks like I'll have to give Vinyl a try

Reaktor should work fine with Reaper but you have to buy it (Reaktor)

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Reaktor should work fine with Reaper but you have to buy it (Reaktor)

Not sure about this - there's a Reaktor Player you can download for free IIRC? I've been able to test drive some user ensembles despite not owning Reaktor. There may be a 30 minute time limit or something?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

free Trapt CD posted:

Not sure about this - there's a Reaktor Player you can download for free IIRC? I've been able to test drive some user ensembles despite not owning Reaktor. There may be a 30 minute time limit or something?

Ok true. My main point is that Reaktor should work with Reaper no problem.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Ok true. My main point is that Reaktor should work with Reaper no problem.

It's a good point. Plus the time limit is a hassle... Reaktor player is definitely only a last resort, but had to throw it out there you know.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Reaktor Player does let you use a bunch of free Blocks though so you can make a mad modular thing.
I got suckered into loads of the various bits n bobs on the user library but actually the stuff the free version gives you is enough to make something that'll bring any pc to its knees if you want it to.
There's very few things I'd deem 'essential' freeware but the stuff NI give out is a must have imo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

reaktor player is free but unfortunately the vhs audio degradation suite requires the full version

imo reaktor, like kontakt, is one of those things worth paying for because you aren't just buying one thing you are buying like hundreds of possible new tools, there are a ton of great free or very cheap instruments for both but tend to require the full version

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What do people think about the Intech Grid stuff?

https://intech.studio/

I'm specifically curious about build quality / support / if the company is going to continue to make new stuff or go under.

I'm probably not a typical user for this because I'm not actually going to make music with it or use it to control a DAW. I'm going to use it as custom inputs for my own personal software development, so I'm going to be hooking into it at a pretty low level. I like that everything is customizable with Lua and that it can both do MIDI and keyboard/mouse emulation.

I looked at more mainstream stuff like the Launch Control XL or the XONE:K2 but I like the idea of being able to swap stuff around and expand, since I'll probably use it for all kinds of different projects. I also looked at the really customizable stuff like the Specialwaves Mine but that is getting into :shepspends: territory for me.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

What do people think about the Intech Grid stuff?

https://intech.studio/

I'm specifically curious about build quality / support / if the company is going to continue to make new stuff or go under.

I'm probably not a typical user for this because I'm not actually going to make music with it or use it to control a DAW. I'm going to use it as custom inputs for my own personal software development, so I'm going to be hooking into it at a pretty low level. I like that everything is customizable with Lua and that it can both do MIDI and keyboard/mouse emulation.

I looked at more mainstream stuff like the Launch Control XL or the XONE:K2 but I like the idea of being able to swap stuff around and expand, since I'll probably use it for all kinds of different projects. I also looked at the really customizable stuff like the Specialwaves Mine but that is getting into :shepspends: territory for me.

I'm interested in this, too, mostly because they look really nice. I'm also curious about encoders vs pots when using a DAW. I haven't used hardware controllers beyond a keyboard before.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

havelock posted:

I'm interested in this, too, mostly because they look really nice. I'm also curious about encoders vs pots when using a DAW. I haven't used hardware controllers beyond a keyboard before.

They have a bundle for their 4 fader module + their 16 encoder module which is exactly what I was going to buy but their website is broken and I can't add it to my cart :(

I sent them an email so hopefully they let me order one even if they sell out somehow.

Edit: They got back to me and fixed it :woop:

Here's what I ended up with: https://intech.studio/shop/bundles/bundle-001

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm making some voice recordings for work, and getting some odd results.
I use a Zoom H2n with the built in microphone in M/S mode, with the M/S separation turned all the way down to "mono", recording to 48 KHz 16 bit WAV. I'm speaking very close to the microphone from the "back side" of the recorder, which should be the M/S recording front. I'm close to the microphone attempting to counter the bad acoustics everywhere available for me to record at this time.

When I open the recorded file in Audacity I see this (both channels are identical):

The negative peaks are much larger than the positive ones, but the signal is zero-centered otherwise. I think this will make it annoying to process.
What's going on, how does this happen, and is it fixable in post?

nielsm fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 10, 2022