Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah, I've stopped caring about open world games having any realistic type of scale as long as they're fun to traverse. If Aloy wants to just run on foot from Denver to Salt Lake City in 15 minutes, I say let her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I got a Vita a while back and worked my way down the list trying all the games out

Way too many of them were grid-based dungeon crawlers and most of those games were about anime titties and most of those games had some questionable characters as far as apparent age goes

A cursed system

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

I can suspend my disbelief for this most of the time but I found a ghoul couple in fallout 4 who say they’ve been living in the same house ever since the bombs fell, and their house of course still looks like a mostly-destroyed wreck, like all the other actually abandoned houses in the area. after two centuries. it’s like they were trying to draw attention to this complaint

And their son survived the blast by jumping into a refrigerator, where he has remained, un-aging, for two centuries. And when he emerges, he isn't blind or twisted by two hundred years of brutal isolation in a cramped space, but exactly as he was when he climbed into it, naïve and childlike and ready to go home by golly.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Open world games mercifully hide the sobering truth that the real world is hella boring in almost every direction.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Open worlds should be like Death Stranding. Condense the entire United States into about 100 square miles and make it look like Iceland.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I got a Vita a while back and worked my way down the list trying all the games out

Way too many of them were grid-based dungeon crawlers and most of those games were about anime titties and most of those games had some questionable characters as far as apparent age goes

A cursed system

I bang on about Killzone: Mercenary a lot... it's a really good FPS and it works really drat well on the Vita. it's fun to play, has an enjoyable plot, and has a solid cash mechanic to incentivize replaying missions in unique ways. It also has a rudimenatry Perfect Dark thing where you can replay missions with different objectives.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Little thing dragging it down? It's trapped on the Vita.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

Open world games mercifully hide the sobering truth that the real world is hella boring in almost every direction.

:agreed:

I do not need to be reminded of middle of nowhere Ohio when playing games.

Then again middle of nowhere Ohio still has a more interesting world than BotW

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Sally posted:

I bang on about Killzone: Mercenary a lot... it's a really good FPS and it works really drat well on the Vita. it's fun to play, has an enjoyable plot, and has a solid cash mechanic to incentivize replaying missions in unique ways. It also has a rudimenatry Perfect Dark thing where you can replay missions with different objectives.

Killzone: Mercenary: Are We The Baddies?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I don't know. It's impossible to devote much brain power into thinking about Bethesda plots.

Or remembering them.

At least Skyrim didn't try to be clever. "There's this big world eating dragon go kill it" is definitely within Bethesda's range. I mean they still made a terrible campaign out of it but at least they had a chance to make good on the premise.

Pseudohog posted:

On the subject of Elder Scrolls, Daggerfall from back in 1996 had that - the settlements were a good distance apart, but nothing between them but randomly placed trees and a few monsters. You could in theory walk between them in real time, but it was a massive waste of time!
Luckily you could fast travel to them without having to discover them first (I think!)

It's interesting to think about how I usually hate fast travel in open world games but I'm completely fine with fast travel in Infinity Engine games and the old Fallouts and etc. I think it has to do with how much it feels like you skipping things or cheating the way the game is supposed to work. Like if the developer fucks with the world to make it walkable then putting in fast travel is undermining the entire point. A worst of both worlds where you get an unrealistic scale to make it walkable but also don't experience the walking.

Plus it makes it harder to suspend disbelief. Like in fallout I'm imagining I'm just skipping a whole bunch of walking across a vast distance and camping and unfun bullshit that actually happened but I just don't see it. In Skyrim I'm just teleporting from place to place. Sometimes distances I could get to in 2 minutes. Kingdom Come Deliverance actually makes it feel better by having you move on the map. Maybe that's the best solution, though it may also be the scale of that game as well.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 22:23 on Feb 8, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Open worlds should be like Death Stranding. Condense the entire United States into about 100 square miles and make it look like Iceland.

In The Saboteur, Paris makes up a third of France. The top-right area is supposed to be a part of Germany, the castle in the top-left is attached to Le Havre.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 22:26 on Feb 8, 2022

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I'm finding annoying about Far Cry 6 is how early on the game doesn't give you any explosive weapons but still throws things like helicopters against you which are hard to kill without them.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

An open world game with a huge, mostly empty map sounds terrible; I'm more than happy to sacrifice a little realism in exchange for fun

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

muscles like this! posted:

Something I'm finding annoying about Far Cry 6 is how early on the game doesn't give you any explosive weapons but still throws things like helicopters against you which are hard to kill without them.

Depending on how early you are, the backpack missile launcher is usually the best way to deal with them and they'll show up infrequently enough that it should be off cooldown most of the time. EMP arrows will also force them to land and you can pick off the pilot when they get out but it might be a while before you unlock those. FC6 was so similar to the other games that the entire experience kind of washed over me but I recall helicopters being HP sponges even into the late game.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

If it's the smaller helicopters, I think they go down fairly quickly if you aim at the rotor. You can also shoot the pilot with AP rounds, and unless the special weapons are randomized, there's a shotgun with incendiary rounds on the first island that work well against the smaller helicopters.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Sally posted:

Little thing dragging it down? It's trapped on the Vita.

This has always been the big issue with the PSP and Vita. Very few of their games felt like they were genuinely designed to be handheld and portable titles, which made them especially awkward to play on the go, and the fact that the PSP had no face cover or anything was weird as hell. But moreover; there's like not a single game on them that wouldn't have been improved just by making it a PS2/PS3 game instead so you could at least have controls that didn't feel like you were missing half your buttons.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Depending on how early you are, the backpack missile launcher is usually the best way to deal with them and they'll show up infrequently enough that it should be off cooldown most of the time.

I had the same problem for a big chunk of the first half, the backpack missiles were so necessary for helicopters and tanks that I never even switched to a different pack.
The best moment was the weapon you get from doing the Rambo fan mission, that's way more fun to carry around for armored vehicles (also I assassinated that guy with a barrage of backpack missiles to get it, which feels poetic).

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Nuebot posted:

This has always been the big issue with the PSP and Vita. Very few of their games felt like they were genuinely designed to be handheld and portable titles, which made them especially awkward to play on the go, and the fact that the PSP had no face cover or anything was weird as hell. But moreover; there's like not a single game on them that wouldn't have been improved just by making it a PS2/PS3 game instead so you could at least have controls that didn't feel like you were missing half your buttons.

Did the PSP/Vita have any way to turn off the screen and resume later? The Switch doesn't worry too much about being handheld focused and a rest mode pretty much solves it.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Unironically Killzone: Mercenary plays best on a Vita TV with a Dualshock imo. Devs configured all the touchpad controls to work without them and it's great.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the complaints about open world games and scale problems, a war-type story that did that well was Viking Battle for Asgard on the 360. You spent each island sneaking around heavily fortified bases to free the captured guys, starting with smaller outposts and using your increasingly large number of allies to distract larger ones so you could save more people (and each time kill all the enemies, wiping out the fort from the inside using your new guys) then at the end of the island you'd do a massive battle after doing a bunch of prep work involving recruiting dragons to your side and weakening the outposts/cities via stealth nd the number of allies and enemies would explode and you'd have massive NPC groups fighting as you killed minibosses to let your army into more and more of the city.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Phigs posted:

A worst of both worlds where you get an unrealistic scale to make it walkable but also don't experience the walking.

realistic scale would be a lovely "feature" whether or not you actually had to walk through the big empty $100-million-dollars-of-environmental-artist-salaries map

the only games that should even start to consider "realistic scale" maps are the (boring) simulator-type games where you drive a truck/train/airplane around

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Did the PSP/Vita have any way to turn off the screen and resume later? The Switch doesn't worry too much about being handheld focused and a rest mode pretty much solves it.

It did, but since they had no cover you couldn't drop them into a pocket with anything else in them or you'd run the risk of loving up buttons/analog/screen, and the buttons and sticks were absolute magnets for lint and whatnot, at least in my experience. I hated actually taking my PSP out because it always felt like it was going to get damaged just from being out and about, something a nintendo portable hasn't really had to worry about since the GBA SP. The switch is just too big to really be a pocket portable to begin with so it doesn't suffer from quite the same issues, but I still internally wince every time I see someone just toss theirs in a backpack or something. It's probably fine, but still. What if the stick snaps off or something?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

realistic scale would be a lovely "feature" whether or not you actually had to walk through the big empty $100-million-dollars-of-environmental-artist-salaries map

the only games that should even start to consider "realistic scale" maps are the (boring) simulator-type games where you drive a truck/train/airplane around

Desert Bus was the only game bold enough to represent the world to scale.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah in a realistic scale open world RPG, when you get the quest to kill the bandits who are attacking the village, you'll have to walk for an hour or two to get to their base, and there won't be much to do on the way. Exciting gameplay!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Works for Euro Truck Simulator (it's by no means realistic distance, but route can take an hour without much to do)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kennel posted:

Works for Euro Truck Simulator (it's by no means realistic distance, but route can take an hour without much to do)

Yeah, but Euro Truck Simulator self-selected for people who'd like that gameplay by being named Euro Truck Simulator.

Not one single person is buying that game in earnest who isn't also extremely into long, eventless travel.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The alternative I'm talking about is the style of map where it has discrete locations on it that you fast travel between via the map. Not a bunch of land you gotta slog through on foot. It just feels better to me to fast travel to a place when it's actually far away on the map, bonus points if you draw my path on the map. Plus it lets individual locations be more to scale and not have it feel weird that it takes you about as long to go across town as it does to get to the next one.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

exquisite tea posted:

Say you're american without saying you're american.

Phigs posted:

The alternative I'm talking about is the style of map where it has discrete locations on it that you fast travel between via the map. Not a bunch of land you gotta slog through on foot. It just feels better to me to fast travel to a place when it's actually far away on the map, bonus points if you draw my path on the map. Plus it lets individual locations be more to scale and not have it feel weird that it takes you about as long to go across town as it does to get to the next one.

Some sort of...world map? :thunk:

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

That sicknasty 3D world maps are almost entirely a relic of a bygone era is a thing dragging the industry down

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The two saily Assassin's Creed games are basically that, if you accept that the sea between the little ports is abstracted down.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Y'all want a realistic scale open world game go play Microsoft Flight Sim.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Tonfa posted:

Say you're american without saying you're american.

Mierenneuker posted:

In The Saboteur, Paris makes up a third of France. The top-right area is supposed to be a part of Germany, the castle in the top-left is attached to Le Havre.

is this an accurate representation of france/germany?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

You can go play UnReal World and spend weeks walking across kilometer after kilometer of iron age Finland.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

ShootaBoy posted:

You can go play UnReal World and spend weeks walking across kilometer after kilometer of iron age Finland.

Holy smokes I gotta play this

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
For me, if anything, I think game worlds have gotten TOO big. To where I often find myself overwhelmed, spread out and with too much to do. I know it's a selling point for most gamers but I find it daunting, intimating and find myself more interested in tight areas that give the illusion of a larger world so the last thing I need is a realistic scale that replicates the experience of having to drive 6 hours to Disney World or Washington DC.

It's kind of why I sort of prefer Arkham ASylum to its sequels but the later games still managed to give me a "just big enough" area to gently caress with. Things like RDR, Witcher 3 and Fallout quickly begin to feel like WORK to me and I don't have 150 hours to sink into a game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dyling Light 2, the writing. is. AWFUL.

Like, DL1 was bad but 2 elevates to new levels of terrible.

Thank god you can skip almost all of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sonic Team Racing is a pretty bland game that I'm basically playing just to get some competent last racing in, and I'm too lazy to dig up a better one, but good god is it bad with the popup gameplay tips. It's still cycling through the same 5 or 6 intro tips in every single race, and I'm 6 chapters/40ish races in :psyduck:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've got two friends who still play Sega and All Stars Racing Transformed and it's a blast. Occasionally there are enough people in the world playing that we get a full roster, but it's hit and miss. Still a fuckin blast, and I've enjoyed it more than any kart racer since the first Mario Kart.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

credburn posted:

I've got two friends who still play Sega and All Stars Racing Transformed and it's a blast. Occasionally there are enough people in the world playing that we get a full roster, but it's hit and miss. Still a fuckin blast, and I've enjoyed it more than any kart racer since the first Mario Kart.

Yeah, both of those All Stars games were great, I thought the first was better than its corresponding Mario Kart and Transformed's only problem was me liking MK8 so much. Which makes this one all the more of a letdown, I should've just dug out Transformed again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, both of those All Stars games were great, I thought the first was better than its corresponding Mario Kart and Transformed's only problem was me liking MK8 so much. Which makes this one all the more of a letdown, I should've just dug out Transformed again.

Is that where the nonstop drifting comes from? I was surprised how little of the game is spent facing forward.

Edit: Oh yeah, one more thing about open world maps. I remember Arcanum had realistically proportioned open world between locales. I can't remember if it was true to scale, but I do believe you could enter world-map-travel mode OR you could just run through miles and miles of procedural generated forests.

credburn has a new favorite as of 07:16 on Feb 10, 2022