Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Card Quest spoilers for cursed box:
I killed the demon as wizard, and got the heart. I then managed to summon the imp and kill it, and nothing happened? Not sure what I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003
All this Card Quest talk got me to try it again. I feel like I am missing something fundamental about the game. I seem to do ok on the non-boss levels, but once I hit a boss, I am not sure how to balance dealing enough damage with avoiding damage and eventually get to a round where something with flurry bursts me down because I either don't have enough resources to avoid damage, or I don't have the cards necessary to do so. What am I doing wrong?

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Xenix posted:

All this Card Quest talk got me to try it again. I feel like I am missing something fundamental about the game. I seem to do ok on the non-boss levels, but once I hit a boss, I am not sure how to balance dealing enough damage with avoiding damage and eventually get to a round where something with flurry bursts me down because I either don't have enough resources to avoid damage, or I don't have the cards necessary to do so. What am I doing wrong?

Always cycle, never waste a card draw unless you absolutely have to, dump any cards you aren't going to use in the next couple turns. Make sure and save enough energy to defend against however many attacks you are going to take, try to always cycle to defensive cards (which generally come with card draw allowing you to keep the pain train rolling). The tutorials are very nearly a puzzle because they require (at least in the last couple stages of each) basically perfect play for the cards you draw. This makes them challenging but if you really dig into what they're teaching you instead of just figuring out the solution to that particular puzzle, you'll make a lot of progress.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
A lot of the subclass challenges and more difficult class/item setups are very reminiscent of the tutorials in that the margin for error is extremely small. The Changeling challenge is one of the most obvious ones; if you don't flawlessly manage your resources, you can go from 100 to dead or dead man walking in one round. It can be a rude awakening if you're used to rolling over the game with easier setups.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

beer gas canister posted:

just played Tobal No 2 for the first time and i'm gobsmacked. it's a ps1 fighting game with a roguelike mode. Developed by Square with a team of veteran fighting game devs, with character designs by Akira Toriyama.

Weirdly enough, it's not Square's only ps1 fighting game with a roguelike mode.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

Weirdly enough, it's not Square's only ps1 fighting game with a roguelike mode.

is Ergheiz the other one?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

is Ergheiz the other one?

yep.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Started Tangledeep a couple of days ago and it's pretty cool, just beat the first area boss with my first character (Brigand). The color palette and sound design remind me of Kirby Superstar on the SNES, which is a kind of random pull but that game rules so I'm not complaining.

At this point I have all of the Brigand skills, is it worth it to keep rolling with this and save up JP for its Job Trial and relevant Weapon Masteries, or should I start branching out to other classes? I got a Legendary Bow from the Lunar New Year event so I figure it might be good to dip into Hunter, especially with the positioning skills that Brigand has.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Razakai posted:

Card Quest spoilers for cursed box:
I killed the demon as wizard, and got the heart. I then managed to summon the imp and kill it, and nothing happened? Not sure what I'm missing.

Did you kill the imp with one giant attack? Some enemies will negotiate when they hit low health, and I am pretty sure the imp is one of them. Also handy if you run into chefs as the warrior.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Feb 9, 2022

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
That did the trick, thanks. I was running Scorch so I killed it in 2 hits without triggering any dialogue. Pretty neat trinket for Necromancer builds.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

C-Euro posted:

Started Tangledeep a couple of days ago and it's pretty cool, just beat the first area boss with my first character (Brigand). The color palette and sound design remind me of Kirby Superstar on the SNES, which is a kind of random pull but that game rules so I'm not complaining.

At this point I have all of the Brigand skills, is it worth it to keep rolling with this and save up JP for its Job Trial and relevant Weapon Masteries, or should I start branching out to other classes? I got a Legendary Bow from the Lunar New Year event so I figure it might be good to dip into Hunter, especially with the positioning skills that Brigand has.

Curious too. I really liked Tangledeep's gameplay and aesthetic but the whole job system and all the village/pet stuff confused the hell out of me. Too many layers of things to do, but I keep meaning to go back to it and figure things out.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

C-Euro posted:

The thing I've found with Tangledeep's class system is that a lone class can usually do fine and that multiclassing is more of a thing on your end to spice up the gameplay for yourself. I've beaten the game on a few challenge runs that made pretty much impossible to multiclass (severely reduced JP), aside from the game just being harder.

Brigand's pretty good on it's own, the passive for guaranteed crit after time not in battle makes a very good combo with the movement pin that spears do, but if you've already maxed it out by the first boss, you've got plenty of time to pick up another class if you want to. You can just go into weapon mastery now, that'll give you a mostly full first ability bar, but I tend to wait until I've got a specific weapon type for my skill setup or a weapon I know will carry me to the endgame.

Just keep in mind that any more than two classes and you'll have more abilities than you can even put on your two hotbars.

Heck, now you've got me wanting to do another run again. I love Tangledeep, but like any roguelike, I pretty much play it in binges.

Sloppy posted:

Curious too. I really liked Tangledeep's gameplay and aesthetic but the whole job system and all the village/pet stuff confused the hell out of me. Too many layers of things to do, but I keep meaning to go back to it and figure things out.

When it comes to the village I just plant whatever trees I have, usually focusing on fruit for fruit salad. I've never touched the pet system, it seems like there's some cool stuff for it, but I don't really trust their survival rate. You really don't have to worry about the village stuff, you can just do the usual grab quests, sell junk, buy all the supplies out and head back down. The item dreams are optional, mostly there if you want to try and keep some gear around for longer. The mystery journeys are mostly a way to rack up artifacts or keep playing after you've beaten the main story.

(Also if you're running one of the daily/weekly challenges, just don't bother with pets if friendly fire is on.. Even the starter frog will be killing you as it leaps to keep up with you.)

Also as a general Tangledeep tip, make sure to carry around a few weapons of various elements. Playing to enemy resistances becomes a big thing with elites later on. Oh, and also buy up the various utility items on the regular, teleport scrolls especially. Consumables stay pretty useful in general, and teleport scrolls are very useful all over the place.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I'd say at least grab another skill with movement attached to it from a second class, at a minimum. Like the horse kick or whatever it's called from bladedancer.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
pets are extremely strong in Tangledeep. they might get smoked at low levels, but they retain their level after being sent back to town, eventually becoming ridiculously powerful. i suggest capturing a Fungal Toad, because they have both health regen and a charge ability. then breed it with another powerful enemy, on for a couple of generations. Sandjaws are a good choice, because they have Leap, and that combined with Frog Hop enables them to be highly mobile. i build all of my characters around the presence of pets now

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
It's been a while, but I seem to remember going through multiple classes/jobs for max summoning. Think monster summoning and, err, some floating energy rune turret maybe? Plus the pet, of course.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
tangledeep needs golems for the legend of mana trifecta

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

FishMcCool posted:

It's been a while, but I seem to remember going through multiple classes/jobs for max summoning. Think monster summoning and, err, some floating energy rune turret maybe? Plus the pet, of course.

The floating runestone from HuSyn is one of the few summon type things I remember using. It ended up being my favorite class to use partly because of how it worked, and also because it was my first victory on the game.

To put a long story short, when I was first getting into the game, I decided to try one of the daily/weekly challenges on a whim, and it happened to be the class you started as for it. I hadn't even been far enough in the game to unlock it yet, so I had really no idea what I was in for.

This is the list of modifiers it had:

Somehow I beat the game with this, and it was a hell of a ride. The last floors were pretty much exclusively elite monsters and it was chaos.

I pretty much never had enough JP to even consider class changing, and I barely learned all of the spear weapon masteries by the end of the game.

(I also had some relic plate armor that kept spending my money to reduce damage, so I ended up out of cash pretty regularly at the end as well. I mostly only pulled it out for big fights.)

pets are extremely strong in Tangledeep. they might get smoked at low levels, but they retain their level after being sent back to town, eventually becoming ridiculously powerful. i suggest capturing a Fungal Toad, because they have both health regen and a charge ability. then breed it with another powerful enemy, on for a couple of generations. Sandjaws are a good choice, because they have Leap, and that combined with Frog Hop enables them to be highly mobile. i build all of my characters around the presence of pets now

I think I'll give pets a shot on my next run. I've mostly neglected playing the Calligrapher class, so maybe that's what I'll do for my next attempt.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Got a couple wins under my belt and a couple dozen hours sunk into it and I can now say I really, really like Revita. Strong recommend to fans of Gungeon and Isaac, there's a shitload of content and some real depth to the mechanics. The more I play the more I appreciate how they crafted the in-game economy around just coins and HP (and max HP too if you want to count that as a separate resource).

There was clearly a lot of thought put into the design re: not wasting player's time -- the way secret rooms work stood out to me in particular. There's a couple on each floor and all you have to do to open one is shoot the (hidden) breakable wall but you can only do so before you clear the enemies in the room and you're incentivized to stay in combat thanks to a combo meter that drains while enemies are present, and you have to no-hit the room in order to actually enter the secret room. So even the act of spamming bullets trying to find a breakable wall gets a little tension added to it, since you're trying to dip in and out of the fight and keep your chain meter up while you do so.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Yeah I took the starter toad pet with me towards the end of the first level and it got killed by the first enemy we saw lol. Going to give it another go once its death cooldown is over.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
what was the sort of vaguely Unreal World-esque historical or low fantasy survival roguelike that came out recently? i think folks were talking about it here earlier this week but i haven't managed to find it yet

it had simple 2D sprites, was turn-based / traditional roguelike structure, had a gathering-and-crafting system

e: ah, got it, it was Wayward

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Cards & Aesthetics/Evocative Backdrops---the ever-escalating, future winning combo~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1608040/Castle_Morihisa/

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The new Skul update dropped last night. Looking through it, it's just updating skulls, which is fine. I expected hard mode to come later (and I'm not good enough to try out hard mode anyway), but I figured the inscription update was also coming now.

Still, there are a ton of changes - so many that they needed two Steam community updates to cover the patch notes - and I've done my first run with the Water skull, it's a ton of fun.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

what was the sort of vaguely Unreal World-esque historical or low fantasy survival roguelike that came out recently? i think folks were talking about it here earlier this week but i haven't managed to find it yet

it had simple 2D sprites, was turn-based / traditional roguelike structure, had a gathering-and-crafting system

e: ah, got it, it was Wayward

for low fantasy survival, Dawn of the Mexica is still around. bit different than traditional low fantasy but worth a look. it never seems to have gotten proper appraisal by the broader roguelike community. i can't think of another game, much less a RL, that has expended so much effort to represent indigenous culture: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456630/Dawn_of_the_Mexica/

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i may give that a shot next.

Wayward is an absolute turd, though, to the point where i feel ripped off having spent $8 on it. it's basically turn-based Don't Starve except without any of the charm and literally some of the worst UI decisions i have ever seen in a traditional roguelike.

items don't stack, every single item and building degrades with use (and repairing them damages their MAX durability which in turn has to be rebuilt with incredibly scarce resources), basic interactions like "purify water so you don't die of dehydration" take like half a dozen steps that have to be repeated manually every time, there are like six different ways to sort your inventory and they're all loving useless (none of them do the incredibly simple and obvious task of "put tools first, then resources"), you spend basically all your time plate spinning in an effort to make even one inch of progress, and it does absolutely nothing to stand out or make any of these shortcomings worth dealing with.

it's like every stereotype about lovely crafting/survival games rolled into one

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 11, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

for low fantasy survival, Dawn of the Mexica is still around. bit different than traditional low fantasy but worth a look. it never seems to have gotten proper appraisal by the broader roguelike community. i can't think of another game, much less a RL, that has expended so much effort to represent indigenous culture: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456630/Dawn_of_the_Mexica/

Looks pretty great- seems like it is full in on the cultural aspect and I love that. I don't know how it plays, but definitely wishlisted for a future day.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wayward is an absolute turd, though, to the point where i feel ripped off having spent $8 on it. it's basically turn-based Don't Starve except without any of the charm and literally some of the worst UI decisions i have ever seen in a traditional roguelike.

items don't stack, every single item and building degrades with use (and repairing them damages their MAX durability which in turn has to be rebuilt with incredibly scarce resources), basic interactions like "purify water so you don't die of dehydration" take like half a dozen steps that have to be repeated manually every time, there are like six different ways to sort your inventory and they're all loving useless (none of them do the incredibly simple and obvious task of "put tools first, then resources"), you spend basically all your time plate spinning in an effort to make even one inch of progress, and it does absolutely nothing to stand out or make any of these shortcomings worth dealing with.

Ugh, that's really rough. I was looking at Wayward when the name was brought up, but now I don't really know about it anymore- sounds very tedious. I enjoy Don't Starve's plate spinning, but this sounds like it very quickly falls into the survival game pitfall of making things way too drat granular.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Is anyone still playing TOME these days? I've been wanting to get into it but it's a bit overwhelming.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
ToME has a very active and friendly discord. Should be a link on TE4 forums, or PM me if you can't find it.
I've stepped back from development on it a bit after delivering Dust Mage and Gravelord (which is being renamed to something else cause of overlap with Graverobber, the necromancer-rogue hybrid). But I'll probably have to get involved in beta testing and tuning.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø

Razakai posted:

Dust Mage Gravelord Graverobber necromancer-rogue hybrid

Oooh I definitely need to fire it up, been buying dlcs but not tried any of them. Still my most played game on steam after super-binging on it for months when I first got it.

Thanks for the trip report, been eyeing it :(

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Razakai posted:

ToME has a very active and friendly discord. Should be a link on TE4 forums, or PM me if you can't find it.
I've stepped back from development on it a bit after delivering Dust Mage and Gravelord (which is being renamed to something else cause of overlap with Graverobber, the necromancer-rogue hybrid). But I'll probably have to get involved in beta testing and tuning.

Props to you for working on it! It's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Cards & Aesthetics/Evocative Backdrops---the ever-escalating, future winning combo~

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1608040/Castle_Morihisa/

I picked this up yesterday when it released. It's tough as balls compared to low ascension Spire and it suffers a bit from not knowing how many camps and elites are coming up, but the talent tree is clever (if a bit RNG) and the strategies are unusual.

(I'll drop two big hints for the Onmyoji that aren't documented anywhere I can see. First, if you play a second spirit of the exact same type that you have, instead of replacing the first one the new one's stacks will be added to it. This means that getting a bunch of Three Tails and piling them up will start to deal very significant damage. However, the match must be exact - an unupgraded spirit will replace an upgraded one of the same type.

Second, except for Three Tails force levels only matter for how many free activations you get at the end of turn. Cards that trigger activations on your turn won't deplete stacks and will go off even if you have no stacks left.)

Be aware also that it has some localisation issues. I've set up a thread for reporting them on the Thermite Games Discord and they're going to add the corrections in future patches.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Theotus posted:

Is anyone still playing TOME these days? I've been wanting to get into it but it's a bit overwhelming.

I had the exact same issue, I tried to pick it up a few weeks ago because it's the biggest Roguelike I never tried out before, but I got really tired of having about 10 billion cooldowns to manage even before finishing the first couple of dungeons. I felt like I should be really into it, but playing it felt overwhelming rather than fun.

I could really go for a game with overall similar gameplay but less "stuff" going on (cleaner graphics and especially sound would be nice too, I think the lack of proper audio feedback probably adds to the overwhelming feel)

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Theotus posted:

I just won with a berserker on custom nightmare the other day. I’ve been going through trying to win the game with every class but with like 1400 hours into the dumb game i can only do a run or two at a time before having to go play something else.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
I feel like Tangledeep is probably the closest thing to a ToME with better graphics etc.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Razakai posted:

I feel like Tangledeep is probably the closest thing to a ToME with better graphics etc.

I wish it was more like ToME.
I'm really not sure what the thought process behind adding such a bloated consumables system. It adds nothing but frustration to the game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Naramyth posted:

I just won with a berserker on custom nightmare the other day. I’ve been going through trying to win the game with every class but with like 1400 hours into the dumb game i can only do a run or two at a time before having to go play something else.

I just want a start option that has me at level 13 with all the first tier dungeons cleared! The same thing happens every time I play ToME, I get bored 1/2 way through the tier 2 dungeons and die to something silly then just close out the game "for the night" and start a new character six months later. I should just probably play on roguelike to help with that, but every time I say I won't just quit out when I die.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i may give that a shot next.

Seconding this in case anyone needed a second opinion before dodging it. I really want a nice turn-based survival game, I love me some Crusoe escapist fantasy and will overlook a lot of dumb stuff to get it, but drat is it every dumb survival game trope ever rolled into one.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Jack Trades posted:

I wish it was more like ToME.
I'm really not sure what the thought process behind adding such a bloated consumables system. It adds nothing but frustration to the game.

Yerp. TOME has broken all games with consumables for me. I’ve beat Tangledeep in new game++ and the only reason I’ve come back to it is that it’s on the switch and I played through it again on a road trip.

Tangledeep is a great game, but man is it a lot of fiddly subsystems

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wish there was some ETA for the next TOME update..Really jonesing for some new stuff

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah TOME deciding that no, you don't need consumables is one of the reasons it's my most played roguelike

also every survival game is unsatisfying compared to unreal world because they're afraid to just let your character be bad at things. if your dude is The Perfect Survivalist who never ever has their kindling take 5 hours to light and never once fucks up and smashes their own hand with a rock while building a lovely lean to then the game is just a series of decisions with challenge added only by navigating the interface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Agean90 posted:

Yeah TOME deciding that no, you don't need consumables is one of the reasons it's my most played roguelike

also every survival game is unsatisfying compared to unreal world because they're afraid to just let your character be bad at things. if your dude is The Perfect Survivalist who never ever has their kindling take 5 hours to light and never once fucks up and smashes their own hand with a rock while building a lovely lean to then the game is just a series of decisions with challenge added only by navigating the interface

Most survival games are designed around a combination of having to know what you need to do and then being able to find the stuff to let you do what you need to do without getting killed by the hostile parts of the environment. I'm not sure how much an RNG check "your character rolled a 1 on the d20 and failed this basic survival action in this survival game, you're dead/crippled now" adds to the experience besides admittedly amusing anecdotes.