Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
After all, who is going to help you or even believe you? The problem was, as well, the reaction to when she finally said something: The stories quickly got taken down, dead silence form her, suddenly she comes back with a completely different story and even largely mum on who. That's not normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if she didn't change her story after vanishing why do I keep saying she did????

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also love the tone bullshit from the other mod being all 'who's saying she's lying???' literally right under CommieGIR saying she changed her story.

Absolute dumbest pieces of poo poo on this forum

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Cool. Very cool. Cool forum they got there.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
they're just liars plane and simple. completely lacking in morals and only care about their team "winning". they really are disgusting

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

sexpig by night posted:

if she didn't change her story after vanishing why do I keep saying she did????

lmao yep that's that thinskinned dickhead commie "ima hand out week long probes for feedback in the feedback thread" GIR

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought Cpt_Obvious was paraphrasing, not direct quoting :whitewater:

lol

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

quote:

If a man wielding power and influence uses their position to coerce someone into having sex with them, I suspect that still counts as sexual assault.

After all, who is going to help you or even believe you? The problem was, as well, the reaction to when she finally said something: The stories quickly got taken down, dead silence from her, suddenly she comes back with a completely different story and even largely mum on who. That's not normal.

lmao just completely ignoring peng shuai coming out recently and telling everyone that the western press just blatantly lied about her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

thatfatkid posted:

lmao just completely ignoring peng shuai coming out recently and telling everyone that the western press just blatantly lied about her.

but that would mean I fell for obvious unverified propaganda...no...no the simple chinese woman's mind must not understand what rape is...a true tragedy...if only she had a white savior to educate her.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

thatfatkid posted:

they're just liars plane and simple. completely lacking in morals and only care about their team "winning". they really are disgusting

They were all on their school debate team, OP (hence Debate & Discussion).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Fart Simpson why do only men water the plants

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

brugroffil posted:

i dont know! ive never asked

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

maybe because the way theyre watering them, they carry around a big bucket of water and a cup? if i had to guess i'd say it's because the big bucket of water means you're carrying around a heavy object and that's a man's job

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

This Putin guy doesn't sound very good. Why would he do all this stuff for no reason?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

This is some primo "kill a man it's murder, kill a million it's a statistic" stuff. Does she not realize wtf the US has been doing in the middle east for the past century?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Love how it's not even 'tankies' or whatever, just full on 'anti-imperialists' as shorthand for idiots they hate

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

This Putin guy doesn't sound very good. Why would he do all this stuff for no reason?

why did people in crimea and donbass want to secede? couldnt be anything

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

Don’t make the Taliban’s job easier. Please know that reverse image search and facial recognition technology is evolving quickly — yes, even a Taliban member can use Yandex image search. We underestimate these people at a great risk. That’s besides the fact that there will be a lot of snitching going on as people seek to divert violence away from themselves. “Oh, my neighbor worked with the Americans, here’s a pic!” It will happen over and over again, I guarantee it.

And don’t rush to fall for the “gentler, kinder” Taliban line either. Don’t let it lull you into a state of complacency with regard to your digital footprints, at the very least. They made similar promises in the 1990s. Then they started murdering people, castrating the men before they died, and, well, doing everything else they did.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol apparently today (or yesterday?) a US hockey player high sticked the ref in a super deliberate way (like literally looked at her, raised stick, and swung around hard enough to draw blood) and wouldn't you know it the barely existing 'covering' it's getting is entirely in the frame of 'well obviously she didn't mean to'.

Thank god she wasn't Chinese or they'd be wanting to try her at The Hauge.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

sonatinas posted:

I’ve thought about cancelling my verso book club sub and trying out haymarket books instead. that article and some of the book selections recently might get me to do that sooner than later

time to cancel my subscription to the feces of the month club. i've been meaning to give the diarrhea of the month club a try

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

brugroffil posted:

caring about things is manly and not gay

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

what about nurturing life but it was only for the fellas

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ok, but you need to call it something manly like homesteading.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1322302029809635328?t=TB_33hT2-Ay25dgrc5ZlUg&s=19
https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1322352076513488904?t=vAzcmmXweAHWNEEbRZkKLQ&s=19
https://twitter.com/kazbek/status/1356733110776381441?t=i3NbR_H8najF9rDQv2DBjg&s=19
https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1322888874071412736?t=ky1UYUcEqnLtfSCede2t8g&s=19

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I swear every Ukrainian claims to be descended from Cossacks.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Feb 10, 2022

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

I swear every Ukrainian claims to be descended fro Cossacks.

It sounds nicer than “Collaborator”

Which, by the way, was a German policy: Soviet Citizen collaborators were usually called Cossacks, grouped into Cossack formations. I’ll try to remember to pull quotes but it’s laid out in Stalin’s Defectors.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

why would anyone be proud of having family members in a group best known for murdering jews

thats a rhetorical question of course same reason theres loving weirdos proud of being descended from the conquistadors

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

This is some primo "kill a man it's murder, kill a million it's a statistic" stuff. Does she not realize wtf the US has been doing in the middle east for the past century?

the usa had good intentions; russia/putin is doing it out of pure malice

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

I swear every Ukrainian claims to be descended from Cossacks.

her grandfather was a Red Cossack who fought the Whites in Taurida alongside Nestor Makhno.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lmao gently caress that thread I didn't even do anything

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm reminded of the U.S. pressuring universities to shutdown confucius institutes, which are co-organized with chinese partner universities to teach the chinese language (because they're gonna spy on people or whatever). i think the truth is that the U.S. government wants to dumb the population down and keep americans ignorant about china by restricting the teaching of the language. but it's also a self-own because they have a hard time recruiting CIA analysts who understand chinese. you'd also probably need chinese speakers in the military, wouldn't you? oh well

another manifestation of this is the "PLAN Maritime Militia", or the allegation that every Chinese fishing vessel is actually crewed by people who've had military training and are actually militiamen.

this ends up causing every encounter with a fishing ship to also be considered a military incursion into sovereign waters for the purpose of escalating tensions

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Essentially, the Chinese government wants all of their citizens abroad to act as agents of China. A Chinese citizen is a soldier for the Chinese nation. That sounds like it could backfire in dangerous ways.

Even if a Chinese citizen is opposed to the CCP, they are still spreading their language and culture and promoting tolerance of Chinese people. If you so tightly bind Chinese identity to obedience to the state, it could lead to hostility against Chinese citizens abroad when Western countries are in conflict with China because racists will have a justification for their racism.

E: this relates to a general concern I have that the CCP seems to care more about preserving itself than the safety and security of its own people.

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

So excuse me if I missed this in earlier posts but, while Deng telling Friedmanites to pound sand obviously owns, what was the stated rationale to initiate the price liberalization, price reforms and abolishing the dual track price system in the first place?

during the Chinese Civil War, the focus of economic policy was stability - prevent inflation at almost all costs to keep people happy, make sure everyone is fed as far as possible

after the war, and for the rest of the Mao era, the goals were expanded to industrialization - the dual-track price system catered to both of these goals: by having the prices of some critical goods under strict state control, prices could be kept low to preserve political stability, while also managing the appropriation of wealth as a transfer from rural areas to urban areas in support of the development of industry (the famine of the Great Leap Forward was, as far as this author is concerned, an example of what happens when that transfer is too aggressive, to the detriment of the rural population)

by the 1970s, there had been enough economic progress that China was no longer in crisis, but they didn't really have well-developed economic theory (at least in the Western understanding of economics) because everything was subordinated to ideological and material goals in the period prior, and they wanted to chart a path to go from "now we're an industrialized nation" to "now we're an advanced nation competitive with the West"

the Chinese government deliberately sought out economists, Keynesians, Friedmanites, (and they were already talking to Soviet economists before), to both catch-up their working knowledge of economics in general, but also with the intent of developing a plan to further spur development of the Chinese economy

price liberalization, price reforms, and the abolition of the dual-track system was prescribed by these neoliberals as part of the plan, on the basis that obviously a planned economy wasn't working, just look at the USSR!

and notwithstanding A. the Sino-Soviet split, and B. the Chinese economy was never entirely modeled on the Soviet Union in the first-place - the dual-track system by itself was already arguably more "reformist" than anything the USSR ever did, and was based on Chinese traditions of economic management dating back to the Han dynasty's Discourses on Salt and Iron

of course, they didn't swallow the neoliberalism as soon as it was pitched to them - the political leadership resisted the siren call of shock therapy after numerous vigorous debates, and as I wrote earlier, a previous attempt to implement price liberalization in 1986 was derailed when a delegation to Hungary and Yugoslavia reported back that, gently caress no, this didn't work, you're being fed bad data, and even the actual Yugoslavs that implemented the plan think it's bullshit, don't loving do it

and that stuck around for a while, except two years later they started looking at Latin America and thought that Brazil managed to prosper under neoliberalism, and:

quote:

Zhu Jiaming was in favor of a big bang in 1988 (Zhu, 2013, 44). In his report on their study tour in Latin America, Zhu stressed the lessons of Pinochet’s Chile. Ironically, Zhu had come very close to Wu Jinglian’s take on reform, with their views diverging, however, on timing and the need for austerity measures. Zhu (2009, 526–27) reports,

The lesson of the Chilean experience is that price, exchange rate and wage liberalization can be implemented without excessive inflation as long as they are part of a suitable package of economic policies that ensures stable economic growth and expanding exports.

Chen Yizi had come a long way since his attempts to contribute to the improvement of collective farming in Henan. Chen, too, admired Pinochet’s economic success, Chile’s social stability, and the tapping of the economic expertise of the “Chicago boys” by the military regime. Salvador Allende’s agenda of nationalization and central economic control were a failure, according to Chen, and gave rise to widespread dissatisfaction. In contrast, the people he spoke to in Chile told him “they would love to have Pinochet’s economic program without Pinochet”

even after they'd sent a similar delegation to Latin America like they did to Eastern Europe, this time it wasn't enough to wave off the proponents of neoliberalism, so they gave it a shot with the support of the Premier, and the result is that sequence of events captured in that long excerpt I posted earlier

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mandoric posted:

Maybe. It'd be like a week of actual work, meaning open days woven in over the next couple-few weeks.

really!? i would have thought there would be economic and political terminology that would be really hard to get right

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

First Peng Shuai and now Eileen Gu

I think these people just hate women tsk tsk

with all the other examples of olympians competing under other countries basically zero reaction, i seriously think that's big part of it. obviously china is one of the de facto targets, but the fact that eileen's a hot girl that "got away" or "betrayed them" really has an enraged ex-bf feeling about it. like there's a feeling of ownership of her.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
brutal

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
natalia antonova of bellingcat also has a habit of calling "tankies" a bunch of limp-wristed babies who stalin would have had shot and "i'm a descendent of killers" blah blah blah. so it's nice to see a russian woman stab her to death on twitter

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
man, this is why i love this thread and c-spam in general. really interesting long posts sandwiched between funny shitposts about idiot morons

gradenko_2000 posted:

:words: shock therapy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

:words: cannons and star forts

Ardennes posted:

:words: The Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth

ughhhh posted:

:words: Humla and nepal

gradenko_2000 posted:

:words: philippines election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU