Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

petit choux posted:

Finally got my modification up and running, I love it. Stayed up all night making wild sounds.

Neat. The arcade buttons function as foot switches? What do they do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I ordered the qunexus case replacement and it shipped fast and worked out fine except I snapped the heads off two of the screws from overtightening. The original pcb was also kind of hard to get out of the old case because it was glued on and the edge tolerances were tight enough that it took a while to find somewhere I could pry it up.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

McCoy Pauley posted:

Neat. The arcade buttons function as foot switches? What do they do?

There are seven buttons in a row on the face of the synth, and these buttons just replicate them with something you can use your feet on. I didn't have to disable the ones on the panel either so you can use either. Oh, and those buttons are labeled osc, filter, eg, mod, delay, reverb and arp and mostly those are pretty much what they do. Eg means envelope gain I think. And some of them have other functions if you turn a knob at the same time.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 7, 2022

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

eg is envelope generator

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Yeah, thanks, I knew it was envelope something. It does envelopes.

Been using the MIDI arpeggiator on the Altura, sending that to the NTS-1, and then switching on the arpeggiator on the NTS-1. Holy Toledo!

The NTS-1 has some very nice basic effects built into it, BTW, and you can use more than one and not slow down the synth. Though eventually you will. Like doubling up an arp as described above in combination with maybe some others.

It is amazing how much this teeny little processor can do though.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 7, 2022

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

petit choux posted:

There are seven buttons in a row on the face of the synth, and these buttons just replicate them with something you can use your feet on. I didn't have to disable the ones on the panel either so you can use either. Oh, and those buttons are labeled osc, filter, eg, mod, delay, reverb and arp and mostly those are pretty much what they do. Eg means envelope gain I think. And some of them have other functions if you turn a knob at the same time.

Wow, your encoder setup is fascinating! (Took me a while to figure out the purpose of the jars.) You are on your way to one-goon-band status.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got kicked out of my one goon band.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Radiapathy posted:

Wow, your encoder setup is fascinating! (Took me a while to figure out the purpose of the jars.) You are on your way to one-goon-band status.

I'm not sure I'm even gonna make it to Hollywood at this rate. But the next one should knock your socks off in any case.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Is this how you do drum and bass? I don't know genres at all. It has drums and bass in it, I guess ?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Is this how you do drum and bass? I don't know genres at all. It has drums and bass in it, I guess ?

I like it. It does appear to have both drum(s) and bass though not both at the same time necessarily.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

not at all! but it’s pretty drat good!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Similarly I don't know anything about prog but I think I accidentally made some.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/sargasso

The actual idea was to see if I could arrange with karnatic rhythms in Bitwig but it just kept going more and more in a "what if Pink Floyd but distortion" direction.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

B33rChiller posted:

I really really like this. Not dnb but it has a really dark, gritty droning feeling that is really hitting home with me. It flows really well and evolves nicely as it moves forward. A lot of tracks have me flipping through the timeline when I listen just because I'm like "yeah ok this is nice but what else we got" but this one had me listening from start to end. With my critically flawed attention span, I think that's about the best compliment I can give :q:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oh wow. Thanks for the compliments folks. :blush:!

Trig Discipline posted:

Similarly I don't know anything about prog but I think I accidentally made some.

The actual idea was to see if I could arrange with karnatic rhythms in Bitwig but it just kept going more and more in a "what if Pink Floyd but distortion" direction.
Oh cool. This got me moving, and introduced me to a new term to learn about this morning. :cheers:

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 8, 2022

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just going to tack on to my comments on your track, B33rChiller -- I don't know if the similarities are ALL there but for some reason it really evokes the feelings I have when I hear certain pieces by Solar Fields or HUVA network. That low gritty drone atmosphere.

No new information, but just gave it a little more thought this morning and made the connection.

I'm sure others could say I'm way off but that's just what it evokes :)

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

That was great! What did you use for drums? Got any quick production notes?

P.S. Really love that Nothing Never Lasts Forever thing you're working on, too.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

what's the smallest cheapest sampler? note, also needs to have some sort of a sequencer built in. I would like to be able to make beats with a device I can keep in my shirt pocket though storable in my cargo pockets would also be acceptable if less ideal

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

The Voice of Labor posted:

what's the smallest cheapest sampler? note, also needs to have some sort of a sequencer built in. I would like to be able to make beats with a device I can keep in my shirt pocket though storable in my cargo pockets would also be acceptable if less ideal

going to guess one of the pocket operators. Or, if you already have a phone, then probably an app for it. Koala is great from what I hear, and available on android & ios.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Radiapathy posted:

That was great! What did you use for drums? Got any quick production notes?

P.S. Really love that Nothing Never Lasts Forever thing you're working on, too.

Thanks! The drums are just the Abbey Road 60s Drummer library for Kontakt, with the psychedelic rock preset. A lot of the synths are the Arturia Buchla Easel plugin. I was kinda going crazy with it because I just got a new laptop that allows me to finally run multiple instances of it with no issue - my old laptop would complain with even one instance.

Oh, and this is the first track where I used my new ebow! Some of the drones in the intro are me just ebowing a strat with a lot of reverb.

The only other non-obvious thing I can think of is that the bass in the frantic ending bit is actually a kick drum run through a resonator, with the frequency of the resonator being driven by midi notes. I've been playing with resonators a lot lately; the droney part of Nothing Never Lasts Forever is actually just the ocean sounds run through a resonator with a slowly increasing Q.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

po 33
M8 tracker if you’re rich
Yak bak

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

can you get samples onto the po33 via usb or an sd card or something? does it have midi?

I almost ordered one of those m8s the last time they were in stock, but it doesn't do microtuning and I know better than to expect it in firmware updates

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

can you get samples onto the po33 via usb or an sd card or something? does it have midi?

I almost ordered one of those m8s the last time they were in stock, but it doesn't do microtuning and I know better than to expect it in firmware updates

Just get Koala on your platform of choice. It rules.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

lol my platform of choice is dedicated hardware. though if someone hacked koala to run on an mpc o.s. I guess that would count

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

You can record samples via 3.5 mm line in. No midi without buying a mod.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
The PO-133 is pretty much identical to the PO-33, slightly cheaper, and supposedly has nicer encoders. B&H was clearing theirs out for $59 around the holidays, so now I have two pocket samplers.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I was cruising around with my Octatrack in the passenger seat and a deer jumped out in my way, so I slammed the breaks and the octa went flying through a case of bottled water on the passenger foot space. Now there's a big crack in the screen, but it's still usable. Anyway, everyone should buy cases. I've broke a moog grandmother driving around last year and failed to get it back together, too. Lesson learned.

Oh speaking of teenage engineering, the OB-4 is amazing. It's so good, I use it for everything.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Cheese Thief posted:

I was cruising around with my Octatrack in the passenger seat and a deer jumped out in my way, so I slammed the breaks and the octa went flying through a case of bottled water on the passenger foot space. Now there's a big crack in the screen, but it's still usable.

Were you trying to recreate this classic video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ejhxsr7Zi8

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ive kept my GAS under control for 3 months and I broke down and got an MPC Live 2 Retro today, fml.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The DT-RDX came today -- shipped super quickly considering it was cross-border AND cross-country so good for that. Hooked it up to the Reface and my immediate "4 hour in" trip report:

1. OK yeah it's made to "fit" the reface but I wish it was kind of like.. more stuck in there, you know? It just happens to loosely fit on some holes in the keyboard body and feels kind of sketch. Not that I move the reface a lot so it's ultimately not a big deal. There's not really a better way they could have done it either so I'm not really sure this is a valid complaint.

2. I thought menu diving was what was keeping me from DX programming being more intuitive -- turns out it's just not knowing what I'm doing! Don't get me wrong -- having the controls in front of me is really REALLY good, and cutting out having to surf from menu to menu and use the lame touch/swipe controls is worth the price admission alone, but it just exposes that I need much more time in front of the keyboard. And to probably watch some more FM tutorials so I can more confidently make use of the knobs I now have access to.

I did start to follow a few YouTube tutorials and I'll say it was SO much nicer pushing the operator select button and turning the appropriate knob rather than bopping through two or three menus.

The ONLY thing I wish was possible was to tell the keyboard to flip the LCD to reflect the specific control being turned. If I edit envelopes with the knobs I still seem to have to remember to go into envelope edit mode if I want to SEE it on the LCD, but otherwise it's fine. I think maybe looking at it right now is probably just something I WANT rather than NEED, because ultimately what it sounds like is what's important. I'm just so used to tweaking envelopes (for example) on a bunch of things and having visual feedback that I've come to expect it.

But I mean, what a buy. This is going to be cool for just jamming out, not only for designing sounds.

e: The only negative to this thing is that I had to relocate my Reface from under my PET and now I'm kind of out of space again. I relocated the PET above my MPC1K but I don't think I like that. I'm just plain out of room right now, and I might get one of those iPad or laptop arms, mount it to my mixer/sampler rack somehow, and move my MPC or PET there, leaving more room for the other.

C'est la vie. At least my GAS is about to be immediately curbed by available space.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 10, 2022

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
I grabbed a Frequency Central Deep Thought DIY logic module from Synthcube for a weekend project and found that it was short an input jack. Looks like it's because Frequency Central's BoM on their website is wrong, it lists 13 jacks when you can clearly see from the rest of the document that it needs 14. I e-mailed Frequency Central to let them know their BoM is wrong and e-mailed Synthcube to let them know they're working with bad data and they had a part shipped out within an hour, which was really cool. I haven't heard anything from Frequency Central though and their build doc is still wrong lmao I tried, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://frequencycentral.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Deep-Thought-Build-Doc.pdf

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

nominal posted:

I grabbed a Frequency Central Deep Thought DIY logic module from Synthcube for a weekend project and found that it was short an input jack. Looks like it's because Frequency Central's BoM on their website is wrong, it lists 13 jacks when you can clearly see from the rest of the document that it needs 14. I e-mailed Frequency Central to let them know their BoM is wrong and e-mailed Synthcube to let them know they're working with bad data and they had a part shipped out within an hour, which was really cool. I haven't heard anything from Frequency Central though and their build doc is still wrong lmao I tried, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

God's punishment for being a Hoosier, I assume.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

nominal posted:

Yeah, I worry about the folks at Synthcube. I’ve ordered three things from them, and two out of three required a second shipment. NLC Divide & Conquer kit was 100% happy, great experience, got me thinking I was better at SMD stuff than I was. Second order was Mutable Ripples and Rings, and the Rings came with wrong sized pots. It’s cool, they ship out the replacements, poo poo happens, no big deal.

Last week I ordered a new Rings PCB cuz I hosed up my first one, and I buy a uO&C kit. It all arrives in a bubble mailer envelope and I instantly knew it was too light.

They forgot to include the 12 jacks for the uO&C.

So I reach out, they apologize and send it all out, but I get curious and start searching around for other people’s experiences, and there’s quite a few people who get missing or wrong parts. They’re cool about it and send things out quickly, no questions asked, but my day job brain is just like - “dudes! You are losing hundreds of dollars on shipping costs on little mistakes!”

It might not seem like a big deal, but that’s the kind of “leak” that can drive a profitable business into the red, and I’m not 100% sure that DIY eurorack parts are really a profitable business venture in the first place.

For example, it looks like the guy who runs Modular Addict also has a car hydraulics business that he runs out of the same building.

And don’t even get me started on Synthrotek and all their weirdness.

I placed my first order with Thonk yesterday, mostly getting odds-and-ends type parts to try to save my Rings build, but also a Befaco Mex to go with my Muxlicer (Neither MA or SynthCube ever got the Mex or Noise Plethora in stock, and I don’t shop from Synthrotek). I’m eating it on shipping, but oh well, we’ll see how it goes.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

That sucks to hear, because I’m a short drive from Synthcube and they are very nice people with a fun shop to hang out in. Hopefully they get better. There’s tons of cool Serge stuff there to play with!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Any perfect circuit employees in here? Reveal yourselves

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

toadee posted:

That sucks to hear, because I’m a short drive from Synthcube and they are very nice people with a fun shop to hang out in. Hopefully they get better. There’s tons of cool Serge stuff there to play with!

I wish them the best and will likely order from them again eventually when they get more stuff in stock. They’re super easy to deal with when things do go wrong.

But I can’t imagine if anywhere near half their orders require a follow up shipment, what that does to the bottom line. Add to that, they just bought another diy guitar pedal business, and it’s like, a lot of small businesses go under soon after an expansion. :ohdear:

I dunno, maybe they’re independently wealthy and just love diy synthesizer poo poo, and profit margins be damned! :lol:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

A MIRACLE posted:

Any perfect circuit employees in here? Reveal yourselves

I bought my Maths from there. Everything worked out great!

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Martytoof posted:

2. I thought menu diving was what was keeping me from DX programming being more intuitive -- turns out it's just not knowing what I'm doing! Don't get me wrong -- having the controls in front of me is really REALLY good, and cutting out having to surf from menu to menu and use the lame touch/swipe controls is worth the price admission alone, but it just exposes that I need much more time in front of the keyboard. And to probably watch some more FM tutorials so I can more confidently make use of the knobs I now have access to.

Bro, I get it. There have been several times in my life where I said, "I am finally gonna learn FM synthesis" and each time I just walk away confused. I've read about it, I've walked through hours-long tutorials, I've taken extensive notes. But I can't program an FM synth for poo poo. I just don't get it. I rely heavily on presets or sampled instruments (NI/UVI) if I need FM kinda sounds.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Kinda wanna try programming audio stuff, is a vst/au the best way to make something usable?

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
It's been a while since I've done a proper MPC jam. These Sufjan chords are mine now.

https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/0088_sufjam

I initially set out looking for the isolated Lisztomania vocal from Phoenix to go on top of the jam, but found this band class acapella instead. I think it works even better.

snorch fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I posted in the gear trades thread but adding here as well.
Selling a Volca FM if anyone is interested. Feel free to send a PM or post in either thread and I'll follow up.