Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

NFTs don’t have to be pictures. Before this ape nonsense people would talk about blockchain entries representing various commodities or physical goods, definitely including real estate. It’s being mapped to something discrete that makes them non-fungible, basically.

I think it’s all terrible, but I sat through a lot of such pitches when I was a VC a few years ago.
Well the mapping isn't fungible. The actual end product is just as if not more likely to be messed with and is usually impossible to repair once it has been. Like say those NFTs where the image host was sent DMCAs. Those can't be repaired by design. The NFT is now just a link that leads to nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ultiville posted:

Yeah, that's obviously much better, though the fact that those cookies are horribly energy wasteful by design is a bit of a bummer. Well and that it's probably a scheme to increase the value of the deed.

But still better than the option where it's a complete scam in toto rather than just the NFT part being a scam, agreed.

I’m pretty sure MM meant the baked good.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’m pretty sure MM meant the baked good.

I meant "those cookies" = extending the NFT metaphor, not like, browser cookies (are they wasteful?)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, you can mint anything to the etherium blockchain assuming you're willing to pay the .eth to mint it and it can fit into the block. Including the text of a deed, the question is getting any sort of legal body to recognize it as binding.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, you can mint anything to the etherium blockchain assuming you're willing to pay the .eth to mint it and it can fit into the block. Including the text of a deed, the question is getting any sort of legal body to recognize it as binding.

Even calling it a question seems generous, tbh - it's hard to imagine they possibly would. About the best you could do is do all the work to get it official and then also put the confirmation into an NFT, but even then, selling that NFT wouldn't have any impact on the legal status of the house so...why would you do that (except as a scam, of course)?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kurieg posted:

Emails can be a "writing" for statute of frauds purposes so it's not utterly crazy.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think you could form a corporate entity that owned a house and apportion voting rights and dissolution proceeds according to some blockchain ledger. People do it on the basis of random spreadsheets tracking the cap table for startups all the time, and manage to transact 8-figure deals on the back of it. You probably have to do some footwork around how the specific blockchain is represented, but fractional share ownership is already a thing. Not super different from a REIT, other than the awful choice of backing store.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Kurieg posted:

Not to mention that if you did manage this feat, the deed to your house is now in a decentralized, unregulated anonymous system so if someone hacks your NFT wallet password or sends you a virus-bearing token that steals the contents of said wallet, congrats, they now posses the deed to your house and there's sweet gently caress-all you can do about it besides beg for it back. House piracy, what a golden age we'd be living in!

Again, it's almost a waste of time to even theorize about this stuff because of how loving stupid it is.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It’s not that you couldn’t have deeds recorded on the blockchain, it’s that doing so is basically pointless compared to the existing registries used to record deeds. Like, congrats, you’ve insulated against (relatively easily reversed) fraudulent deed transfers by… making it easy for there to be irreversible deed transfers from hacking or just bad coding. And to do it you have to waste a ton of energy. Great plan.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also: I recently learned that people are trying to circumvent one of the things that's actually a benefit of cryptocurrency (That it carries it's own historical record and each token is non-fungable yet interchangable) by putting currency through "Mixers".

Which is basically just money laundering, and used by the same people who do money laundering for the same purposes of money laundering.... yet people act like this is a great thing.

Also coin exchanges won't even touch a mixed Coin because it's basically a giant "Hello I was used in a crime!" sign.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kurieg posted:

Also: I recently learned that people are trying to circumvent one of the things that's actually a benefit of cryptocurrency (That it carries it's own historical record and each token is non-fungable yet interchangable) by putting currency through "Mixers".

Which is basically just money laundering, and used by the same people who do money laundering for the same purposes of money laundering.... yet people act like this is a great thing.

Also coin exchanges won't even touch a mixed Coin because it's basically a giant "Hello I was used in a crime!" sign.

And this isn't new, Mixers were a thing I heard about in the early days of Bitcoin. Almost like Crypto has always been a dubious thing, huh?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kalman posted:

It’s not that you couldn’t have deeds recorded on the blockchain, it’s that doing so is basically pointless compared to the existing registries used to record deeds. Like, congrats, you’ve insulated against (relatively easily reversed) fraudulent deed transfers by… making it easy for there to be irreversible deed transfers from hacking or just bad coding. And to do it you have to waste a ton of energy. Great plan.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. I see cryptobros defending their unregulated gambling scams by talking about how in the future, your DMV records will be on the blockchain. I don't see the utility in that. Like, my complaint about public records is that they're too decentralized. Like, last time I moved, it was up to me to inform the DMV, the county, the city, my employer, and every other entity I deal with that my address had changed, when most of these entities could share records.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
There is no actual use for NFTs and anyone who says there is is either a scammer or a mark or both

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Piell posted:

There is no actual use for NFTs and anyone who says there is is either a scammer or a mark or both

This is it in one. No possible pitched use for NFTs is an improvement on existing systems or technology.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ultiville posted:

Yeah, that's obviously much better, though the fact that those cookies are horribly energy wasteful by design is a bit of a bummer.

At least they're not raisin.

(I joke, oatmeal raisin cookies are tasty and I should bake some)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Bruceski posted:

At least they're not raisin.

(I joke, oatmeal raisin cookies are tasty and I should bake some)

No. Oatmeal raisin cookies are strictly worse than just oatmeal cookies. There are better ways to get rid of raisins, like good clean fire.

God drat depressing ghost grapes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Omnicrom posted:

This is it in one. No possible pitched use for NFTs is an improvement on existing systems or technology.

:hmmyes:
Anything that seems like it's an actual use for them can be done without the incredibly wasteful blockchain part, too. You can trade Team Fortress 2 hats and such just fine on the steam market.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Omnicrom posted:

This applies to every blockchain tech too, not just NFTs.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Xiahou Dun posted:

No. Oatmeal raisin cookies are strictly worse than just oatmeal cookies.

Ugh. This is a worse opinion than loving NFTs. Raisins elevate an otherwise mediocre cookie.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Ugh. This is a worse opinion than loving NFTs. Raisins elevate an otherwise mediocre cookie.

I see your raisins and raise instead dried cranberries.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Oatmeal chocolate chip for me, please. All the joy of chocolate chip cookies with some extra texture.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Oatmeal with M&Ms so there's crunchy bits to contrast with the chewy main cookie

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I think the distinction is:

Crunch cookie: plain oatmeal is better
Chewy cookie: oatmeal raisin* is better

*You can replace raisins with some raisin-adjacent like dried cranberries or chocolate chips I guess. Just be careful because this dark sorcery is how you get oatmeal scotchies and then you'll never gently caress around with anything else :getin:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can see how raisins are divisive, but sun-dried tomato is a loving repulsive tomato raisin that should be universally reviled.

How can anyone enjoy finding that piece of savory chewing gum in their meal?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
they're both good but i wouldn't put either loving one in a cookie

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
good:
oatmeal chocolate chip cookie
raisins in oatmeal

bad:
oatmeal raisin cookie
chocolate chips in oatmeal

come at me

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Leraika posted:

good:
raisins in oatmeal

bad:
oatmeal raisin cookie

come at me

:hmmyes:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Small Brain: Oatmeal
Big Brain: Oatmeal with Raisins
Galaxy Brain: Oatmeal with Curry
Cosmic Brain: Oatmeal with Raisins and Curry

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Oatmeal cookies with nut brittle.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leraika posted:

good:
raisins in oatmeal

bad:
oatmeal raisin cookie

come at me

Ooh, I'm gonna buy chocolate chips to put in my oatmeal! :getin:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

moths posted:

I can see how raisins are divisive, but sun-dried tomato is a loving repulsive tomato raisin that should be universally reviled.
All methods of cooking tomatoes are a miracle. Taking the most repulsive fruit in existence and turning it into something actually edible, even delicious. I wish I knew how the science worked.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Chairman posted:

"what if a character sheet on the blockchain"

Pathfinder Society already did this.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Seems like Chaosium decided they wanted that sweet, sweet NFT money

https://twitter.com/VeVeMintScout/status/1488292436174688260

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

This applies to every blockchain tech too, not just NFTs.

Blockchain in the sense of a chain of hashes to provide verification of the integrity of an input-only database is a low-effort, low-pollution, perfectly workable technology with many applications. Blockchain as used in cryptocurrencies, meanwhile, are loving stupid and have no valid use.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

The former is called a Merkle tree. No one means that when they say Blockchain.

Edit: and yes the blockchain is a Merkle tree under all of the bullshit, but that bullshit is the relevant part

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 10, 2022

Warthur
May 2, 2004

PST posted:

Seems like Chaosium decided they wanted that sweet, sweet NFT money

https://twitter.com/VeVeMintScout/status/1488292436174688260
Wanted, past tense - they put those out in July last year and haven't, so far as I can tell, done more since.

VeVe apparently doesn't using an energy-intensive blockchain so it's at least not environmentally devastating and a hogger of video cards - but still a pointless figleaf disguising blatant money laundering.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ego Trip posted:

The former is called a Merkle tree. No one means that when they say Blockchain.

Edit: and yes the blockchain is a Merkle tree under all of the bullshit, but that bullshit is the relevant part

My company, which sells hundreds of products, has a blockchain product. Essentially it's cloud-hosted merkle tree by another name; it's a viable product in the sense that we are being paid by customers to use it, it was probably not very costly to develop and offer, and it goes by the name "blockchain".

So: yes, some people really do mean that when they say blockchain.

However, nobody really means that on SA, or in trad game spaces, or on twitter etc.

It's also a very narrow use case. Most of the time someone thinks they might have a (legitimate, non-wasteful, business) use for a blockchain product, they are better off with just a normal database plus auditable access control features (which basically every business-class DB product has by default anyway).

e. Microsoft for example seems to be re-branding its (now six year old) blockchain product:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-takes-another-stab-at-a-blockchain-powered-ledger-service/
Seems they want to move away from any stigma associated with the word "blockchain" and focus on the fact that it's an open ledger as a service instead. I wonder if my company will follow suit.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 10, 2022

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

https://twitter.com/Superdillin/status/1492167439534202892?s=20&t=-zLE5cckBvK0c1v-GZVdlQ

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Where is that guy getting that WotC is "going to announce" that soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.polygon.com/22406490/magic-the-gathering-nft-tokens-hasbro-ceo-quarterly-earnings

Not particularly shocking.

They are going to announce it, like Ubisoft's attempts it's going to bomb spectacularly and then there are two paths that lie ahead, abandoning it quietly, or quadruple down like Ubisoft is currently trying to do pissing off their employees.

My guess is Hasbro will abandon it quietly as they make poo poo tons of money on like what NFT's essentially are, but in a online card game, not to mention the physical cards, but who knows.