Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Hope the reason Goku and Vegeta arent in Super Hero is bc theyre off screen dealing with the Heaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TwoPair posted:

My dream for some future DB media, whether it's manga, an anime arc, or a future movie is just "Shadow Dragons but this time done well". Having some sort of actual backlash to the constant overuse of dragon balls is too good an idea to let just rot in a bad show. They proved with Broly (and arguably Kale just reviving the concept of the Legendary Super Saiyan) that they can fix/improve upon bad ideas so just... do it, man.

It would completely suck and it's cool and funny that shenron was basically turned into a gag by the end of Z let alone the recent revival era stuff.

It doesn't matter. Like Shenron isn't even some divine dragon, it's just some freak thing some namekians can make. He's even got stronger versions of himself when he got remade and on other alien planets and his own God equivalent in the SUper balls. Like the whole time GT is happening you just have to imagine "Man Porunga's shadow dragons could probably just whip all these losers' rear end." It also sucks because GT already introduced a set of basically evil dragon balls. It's too much Mythologizing without any of the charm and humor the rest of the franchise has. It's a bad dumb idea and I just made the next series of HEROES villains with the idea of Porunga's Shadow Dragons and I'm sorry.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

They could also just not adapt the manga arcs and do something else entirely which I would vastly prefer

Given how good the anime parts were compared to the manga stuff no I think we should actually make good version of now canonical poo poo instead of letting this trash be the only version.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Captain Baal posted:

They could also just not adapt the manga arcs and do something else entirely which I would vastly prefer

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Shenron having to drop the act and start kissing Beerus' rear end whenever he's around is incredibly good.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Captain Baal posted:

I heard the Morro and Granolah arcs are pretty good in some parts?

What if they just didn't do the stuff that makes them shittier?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Its a bit confusing how this works at this point since such a big gap has opened up between the comic and the show. I wonder if the people behind the anime will be expected to keep things in line with the comic if it ever starts up again or if they'll be left to do their own thing with Toriyama's notes like they were previously.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TulliusCicero posted:

Moro honestly had enough good that it could easily be adapted into an improved and actually good version, you'd just have to heavily edit the Moro fight itself, everything else was pretty good.

Granolah...I have my doubts. It has basically no emotional core and the villain is the blandest we've ever gotten, which is amazing when you remember Jiren existed. You'd need to rewrite it really heavily to the point that it may as well be a totally different thing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Given how good the anime parts were compared to the manga stuff no I think we should actually make good version of now canonical poo poo instead of letting this trash be the only version.

At least adapt the Kart Race.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Moro honestly had enough good that it could easily be adapted into an improved and actually good version, you'd just have to heavily edit the Moro fight itself, everything else was pretty good.

Granolah...I have my doubts. It has basically no emotional core and the villain is the blandest we've ever gotten, which is amazing when you remember Jiren existed. You'd need to rewrite it really heavily to the point that it may as well be a totally different thing.

...Does Jiren even qualify as a villain? He's honestly so bland and lacking in motivation I can't see it. He's more of an obstacle or a wall then anything

If anything the Zenos and the High Priest are the loving villains of the Tournament of Power for wanting to erase whole universes from existence for a loving martial arts tournament, what kinda sick poo poo is that?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 10, 2022

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Villain is a strong word but Jiren absolutely skirts the line of anti-hero and villainy to the point where calling him one isn't entirely uncalled for.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

This isn't going to happen. The Super anime is already very inconsistent in its quality and it made absolute poo poo out of the two movies it adapted, one of which was already bad. This is to say nothing of the manga stories being inherently poo poo that it would take an obscene degree of effort on their parts to salvage them into something good that they are better off just doing their own stuff, which the Superhero movie looks to be doing anyways as it is entirely separate from the manga with where it is. It's not like they adapted already existing stories, the anime took its own path separate from the manga in choosing how to do their stories and just did a better job even with the Future arc which has problems but I would say is still enjoyable, warts and all.

Also the manga is not confirmed canon, it exists at a point where it can't screw with anything for a reason. Until something acknowledges its existence outside of Jump, calling it canon is charitable.

TulliusCicero posted:

No, Moro is loving awful and Granolah is arguably worse. Moro has a few decent spots, but it is bad at its core and most of it is the bad stuff. They would have to completely redo the entire arc to the point where it doesn't resemble what it is for it to be good and at that point they should just do something else, in all honesty. It would be like trying to make something good out of Super 17, there's too much bad to salvage it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

jiren is a wrestling heel

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Captain Baal posted:

Villain is a strong word but Jiren absolutely skirts the line of anti-hero and villainy to the point where calling him one isn't entirely uncalled for.

Yeah the minute he opens fire on the crowd just because he's mad is a good "hey I think this guy might not be that great" moment

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TulliusCicero posted:

...Does Jiren even qualify as a villain? He's honestly so bland and lacking in motivation I can't see it. He's more of an obstacle or a wall then anything

If anything the Zenos and the High Priest are the loving villains of the Tournament of Power for wanting to erase whole universes from existence for a loving martial arts tournament, what kinda sick poo poo is that?

They were going to erase those universes anyway, so technically the martial arts tournament was a merciful chance at a reprieve from sudden annihilation rather than merely a genocidal bloodsport. :eng101:

Captain Baal posted:

This isn't going to happen. The Super anime is already very inconsistent in its quality and it made absolute poo poo out of the two movies it adapted, one of which was already bad. This is to say nothing of the manga stories being inherently poo poo that it would take an obscene degree of effort on their parts to salvage them into something good that they are better off just doing their own stuff, which the Superhero movie looks to be doing anyways as it is entirely separate from the manga with where it is. It's not like they adapted already existing stories, the anime took its own path separate from the manga in choosing how to do their stories and just did a better job even with the Future arc which has problems but I would say is still enjoyable, warts and all.

Also the manga is not confirmed canon, it exists at a point where it can't screw with anything for a reason. Until something acknowledges its existence outside of Jump, calling it canon is charitable.

Yeah the Super manga and the Super anime were running at the same time and did wildly different takes on the exact same events to the point that they're not really reconcilable, so I don't think anyone needs to be concerned that the manga is some kind of immutable canon that cannot be defied. It's pretty much the same thing as most of the DBZ movies not really making sense in the context of the show's timeline - the answer is "who cares?"

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 10, 2022

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TwoPair posted:

Yeah the minute he opens fire on the crowd just because he's mad is a good "hey I think this guy might not be that great" moment

Jiren shooting at the crowd is a weird moment to me because the Gods of Destruction just don't react to it at all. And the Zenos don't really give a poo poo either.

Really, no one reacts to the moment aside from Goku.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The entire thing was meant to be entertainment for Zeno, so none of the gods are going to risk interrupting the entertainment unless Zeno or the Grand Priest tells them to. If some mortals in the stands get vaporized in the process, oh well, it's not like Zeno didn't already delete an infinite number of people in the tournament already.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked Moro.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Moro was cool. Cell 2, not so much

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Dignity posted:

Yeah his second form could have used some work. But I think he overall was a good antagonist.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No Dignity posted:

Basically the same problem as Gas right now. He overstayed his welcome with an unneeded power up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jiren is a wrestling heel

I've said he's the Brock Lesnar of the ToP. Also ironic since Goku is kinda also playing the heel for that arc, given everyone is openly gunning for him and he loves it.

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, keeping kids (who were watching the previous show) watching or hooking new kids channel surfing was the name of the game in the 90s/early 2000s and it was way easier to do that with a bop basically describing the show in English (see: Pirate rap, Sailor Moon, motherfucking Pokémon) and/or getting the show's name ingrained in kids' heads than with J-pop. I'm not a time traveler so I can't perform a study on myself age 10 to see if I would've watched Digimon with its original theme, but I could sure as gently caress tell you what the show was about : Digimon were digital monsters and the champions.

Rather helps that the synths and echoing vibe of the Digimon intros do kinda fit with the whole computer world theme. Similar, energetic buttrock fits Beyblade perfectly, you're trying to make plastic spinning tops look badass and tense. And similarly, Ultimate Muscle having a goofy intro to a public domain tune is pretty perfect for ridiculous anime pro wrestling.

The English version of the Dragon Ball intro meanwhile has extremely 'dubbed the theme song' vibes complete with some pretty obvious desperate stretches to match the meter, but it's hella catchy anyway.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Moro was cool until he was Cell, then he was cool again for a teensy bit when he was the planet.

It just loving sucked when he was a punchman instead of an old goat wizard.

Granolah is cool as hell, and Gas could have been cool. The stuff where his brother sold off his lifespan without telling him, to get him a cheating power up he doesn't even want has potential. The energy weapons are cool as hell. Then he got lame when he stopped using them.

If he was going to get ANOTHER power up, it should have just been him getting frustrated at how unfamiliar his stolen moves are and resolving to just go back to his own stuff. Say his last power up was a power down or that this is a power up because he's using the stuff he practiced or because his heart's in it now or something.

I guess they could still do that, but I don't want this fight to have ANOTHER phase.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Moro was at his best when he was primarily a Geomancer.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

He should have stayed Old Giant Wizard Goat and simply grown more satanic and monstrous in appearance until he hit his planet eater form

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Something about how his original final form they had to discard before TobyFox sued

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something about how his original final form they had to discard before TobyFox sued

TobyFox eviscerating Toriyama-sensei in open court is the content we deserve

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

he's going to beat him at FighterZ like he did with sakurai and smash

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

unstoppable finisher move, "The Pope got his own personal remix of my song played live for him, gently caress you"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Captain Baal posted:

No, Moro is loving awful and Granolah is arguably worse. Moro has a few decent spots, but it is bad at its core and most of it is the bad stuff. They would have to completely redo the entire arc to the point where it doesn't resemble what it is for it to be good and at that point they should just do something else, in all honesty. It would be like trying to make something good out of Super 17, there's too much bad to salvage it.

Counter point both the movies were good so I think you just have bad opinions.

Adapt the arcs.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I rewatched Resurrection F the other day and I think I'd have to say its not a very good movie, Frieza was done far better in Broly and the ToP.

Funnily enough, I think that the anime actually made it better on a dramatic storytelling level in various ways, but way, way worse from an animation point of view which kind of kills it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

it owns that frieza came back and died and then came back again

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Like a true lord and savior

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

sans undertale was the original majin buu

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it owns that frieza came back and died and then came back again

It's dumb, but at the same time, we couldn't have gotten Frieza in the TOP without that justification.

It's still weird to me that people are like "Why didn't they get Cell for the TOP?" when he's not even remotely as powerful as Frieza at this point.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

bringing back Frieza was insanely good and cool because he has personality out the door, and the genius was to show him corrupted by Goku and then dragged into cosmic attention by the ToP

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

frieza has a higher power level because hes easier to draw than cell who does not have a high power level

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I love the way that some ancient offhand comment about Cell's spots being a pain to draw has flowered into a conspiracy about Toriyama deliberately never using him again so he doesn't have to draw said spots, in spite of the fact that he's not the one drawing the comic anymore and certainly not single-handedly animating the TV show.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

It's dumb, but at the same time, we couldn't have gotten Frieza in the TOP without that justification.

It's still weird to me that people are like "Why didn't they get Cell for the TOP?" when he's not even remotely as powerful as Frieza at this point.

No problem, Cell can just lift some weights for twenty minutes, and maybe pound on a punching bag if Yamcha's available, and he'll shoot right up to Goku's power level. But hell, they brought Krillin, Master Roshi, and even Tien, it's not like Cell's too weak to hang out with that gang.

I imagine Frieza's just more popular than Cell and that's why he keeps coming back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

As if that means anything anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TheKingofSprings posted:

As if that means anything anymore

Yeah. Perfect Cell was stronger than everyone (except Gohan I guess) without ever training and he has the fightmonkey disease, so he'd probably get where he needs to be with as much training as Toriyama/Toyotaro thinks is appropriate.

But really, it's all bullshit. Characters are only as strong as the plot needs them to be.