Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I loathe and will never touch escalation type content and this ET Arcade poo poo put me off from buying H3 completely, but it's cool to find the one in a hundred players who actually like this :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
That is one of the most unhinged things I've read today. Granted, the bar wasn't very high, but also haha what?? They made a mode I'm not interested in, someone call the police!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Frosty Mossman posted:

That is one of the most unhinged things I've read today. Granted, the bar wasn't very high, but also haha what?? They made a mode I'm not interested in, someone call the police!
It was a joke because the mode is really not well received and IOI has been handling Elysive Targets very badly for years, when they announced the arcade people were hoping they finally learned but it was apparently the wrong lessons.

But I'm glad it still managed to be enjoyable to some people so the dev effort wasn't wasted. Hope that helps.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I thought people really liked the Illusive Targets? I've heard nothing but praise for that system.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I've seen mostly negative opinions, but that might be because the people, who like it just fine, don't have reason to proclaim it publicly. Meanwhile those who hate GaaS elements and FOMO are very vocal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The most concerning thing here is people's apparent inability to spell Elusive.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I like the Elusive targets conceptually but the limited attempts/timed rollout are just unnecessary imo. They have loads of dialogue and unique things but because if you gently caress up, you're potentially done, just means I feel obligated to do it in a slightly boring/safe way and not see most of that stuff. Which is slightly my problem of course.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen
Yeah Elusive Targets got a bunch of criticism for the timed aspect being a huge FOMO trap, but the ET Arcade feature is specifically not like that, and Escalations I haven't heard anything negative about. That's what threw me for a loop: the post appeared like basic incoherent gamer rage, but also not aimed at anything I've seen anyone be mad at (escalations, making a less FOMO elusive target thing)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I like Antedeluvian Trinkets.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The biggest strength of the Hitman games is them being murder playgrounds: You try different approaches and explore the locations to experiment with your tools and disguises in order to take your targets out, none of which works if you have one shot to take out an elusive target. I dislike escalations as a format because they're limiting how a target has to be approached - "kill this guy, now do it again but only use this thing, now do it again but also never change disguises" is lovely and some of the restrictions are really bad (like having to constantly hold a weapon). There's also no saving so if you gently caress up 30 seconds before reaching the exit in a "don't be seen" escalation you do everything again from scratch. Criticism of escalations has been around since Hitman 1 (centered on their tedium of redoing almost the same thing 3-5 times, having really unfun restrictions, without being able to save).

I would be fine with the ET arcade just being a set of ETs you have to do in order, and if you fail you wait a few hours. But also having escalation mechanics like "must kill the target with only one disguise" or "no bodies must be found" makes the problem of following the one route that works even worse, since it rules out a lot of options in a mode that already limits how you can approach them. The fact that I can retry them in a day or w/e the lockout is doesn't change that.

E: Yeah Elusive Targets got started as part of the "live service" in the originally episodic Hitman 2016.

orcane has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Feb 10, 2022

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
I get the FOMO aspect but as has been said, the Arcade mode only locks the one specific Trial you hosed up for 12 hours. And the normal Elusive Targets are looping now so you will eventually get a chance to redo them.
I guess they maybe made more sense back when they were releasing the game in episodes. Did they have them back in the Hitman 2016 days?

The backlash feels a bit like they announced the name "Elusive Target Arcade" and fans imagined what gamemode that could be and when it turned out its not the gamemode they made up in their head its the developers fault.

I totally get not wanting to play elusive targets and the escalation stuff cause it definitely makes the game more stressful and doesn't lend itself to the "escalating chaos" playstyle a lot of people (me included most of the time) enjoy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My go-to for the Elusive Targets so far has been to load in, walk around and locate the target, jab'em with the Modern Poison syringe, and walk away while everyone feels so sorry for the person who just suddenly collapsed out of nowhere.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The elusive target stuff is mostly just irritating cause it's part of the weird unnecessary always online poo poo that hampers the games. Oh net goes down? Well can't play this single player game today.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Escalations are the worst thing in the new Hitman games. It's just "do few objectives in the stage and finish. Great, now do it again but we've added a few more." and there are like five levels each one so you're just doing the same thing over and over with more bullshit added each time. Like "now there's landmines!" or "now you have a gun you can't drop and you can't change disguise so the whole level is hostile if you get seen".

I don't understand why IOI is so obsessed with them. The entire season pass for Hitman 3 was Escalations (I'm a big Hitman fangirl and I skipped the DLC, which is something I didn't think would happen) and then they decided to mash them up with Illusive Targets.

Like I don't hate that they exist, if you like them then great, but I kinda' resent that IOI has gone so hard on them for Hitman 3. Both Hitman 1&2 had remixed maps and missions released post launch, while Hitman 3 has just had more escalations.

Veotax has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Feb 10, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My experience with Illusory Targets in the first of these Hitman games was getting chumped fairly early into most of them and hardly ever actually getting close to the Elysium Target. It'd be cool if there was an attempt tracker so people could go "look at me, I got the Aleutian Target on the 1st try!" so that people who aren't as good could still experience the mission.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

plainswalker75 posted:

That reminds me of one my favorite moments from Wolf Within, where people unfamiliar with the term "glass him" thought they were going to buy the guy a nice cup of beer or something :roflolmao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8os2LBgSCAs

Pretty sure it's the exact same prompt in AP, because I definitely fell for it the first time I played.

"Aww, did someone spill their wodka?"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My go-to for the Elusive Targets so far has been to load in, walk around and locate the target, jab'em with the Modern Poison syringe, and walk away while everyone feels so sorry for the person who just suddenly collapsed out of nowhere.

If you have access to the Hitman 2 expansion content you can unlock an emetic gas mine which you can hide in a briefcase, walk up to a target and then detonate (all while still holding the briefcase). It's like having a gigantic fart so foul and rotten that it makes whoever is standing next to you walk toward the nearest toilet to vomit. And unlike jabbing them with a syringe, this fart isn't considered an criminal act to the people observing it.

An elegant solution when the Exclusive Target spends most of their time surrounded by others.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 17:10 on Feb 10, 2022

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

The most concerning thing here is people's apparent inability to spell Elusive.

They should lean in and get Martin Sheen for one of them

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mierenneuker posted:

If you have access to the Hitman 2 expansion content you can unlock an emetic gas mine which you can hide in a briefcase, walk up to a target and then detonate (all while still holding the briefcase). It's like having a gigantic fart so foul and rotten that it makes whoever is standing next to you walk toward the nearest toilet to vomit. And unlike jabbing them with a syringe, this fart isn't considered an criminal act to the people observing it.

An elegant solution when the Exclusive Target spends most of their time surrounded by others.

:gas:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Not that I've played it myself but I like how Sifu has enemies comment in surprise when you're kicking rear end and taking names.

It's not quite up to my preferred execution of the idea where after you've beaten the 6th guy, some of them just cut their losses and try to run like in I think Assassin's Creed 2 or Brotherhood. And also Shadow of Mordor once you've killed a higher tier orc with a title leading a group but it's a nice touch.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If they ran it would hurt your score so I'm thankful they stick around.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I did the Eluisive Targets in HM1 until I missed one and then decided to not even bother anymore. FOMO died I guess. :v:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dying Light 2 has enemies retreat realistically as in they leave the fight entirely and run away and don't come back, instead of only fleeing temporarily or becoming invincible to cower in place. You can make humans run off by doing all kinds of things too, I had a guy leave a fight shouting about how I was crazy and gonna draw the infected when I grabbed a gas tank and lit it.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
If anyone doesn't know but wants to check them out, you can go get The Peacock Project custom server for Hitman and play any of the Elusive targets whenever you want.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I got two things out of Elusive Targets: the suit from Blood Money (which basically just means the red-striped tie from Blood Money), and the opportunity to murder Gary Busey by throwing an exploding golf ball at him after he had an argument with Gary Cole. I'm assuming there was a licensing issue that prevented them from ever re-running that one.

Sean Bean (and Sean Bean Remix, and Sean B3an) wasn't quite the same thing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Halo 1 remaster in the Master Chief collection (and I assume at least some of the others, I don't know yet) has a button to immediately switch between the remastered graphics and the original.

I am neither exaggerating nor meaning it as an insult when I say that this button is the single most fun thing in the entire game. I've been hitting it so often that I've legitimately had navigation troubles because of it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I would like a mod that's just constantly switching between those automatically, at some randomized interval. Not only does Master Chief have to deal with the Covenant, now his perception of reality is breaking down!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Achievements are a dog's breakfast most of the time, but I like them when the game devs put little easter eggs in them. My favorite thing so far is probably very early on in Deathloop, where you have to find a four-digit code for a door. I, a seasoned immersive sim-player, assumed "oh yeah it'll be 0451 because Arkane", put in the code, got denied, and also got an achievement for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Philippe posted:

Achievements are a dog's breakfast most of the time, but I like them when the game devs put little easter eggs in them. My favorite thing so far is probably very early on in Deathloop, where you have to find a four-digit code for a door. I, a seasoned immersive sim-player, assumed "oh yeah it'll be 0451 because Arkane", put in the code, got denied, and also got an achievement for it.

I like games where "xyzzy" and "plugh" get some sort of special response.

And hello sailor.

E: I guess that means I like a Call of Duty game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Philippe posted:

I need to go back and finish Deathloop

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Philippe posted:

I don't care about achievements and I almost never think about them, but at the same time I find myself committing suicide in every single game just because so many of them give achievements for doing that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I sadly don't even look at achievement lists anymore since the PS5's ugly UI makes them, title and icon and all, front and center if you're "working on" them i.e. are close to finishing them. I have now had two games' character deaths or story locations ruined by this interface and it really messed up a good thing because I love achievements that reward you for doing some goofy thing the developer was fun, NOT "watch John die".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

credburn posted:

I don't care about achievements and I almost never think about them, but at the same time I find myself committing suicide in every single game just because so many of them give achievements for doing that.

2017 Prey was great for this, you can run up to the helicopter that's supposed to take you to your first day of work and think, could I jump into that spinning rotor? Yes you can, and the game acknowledges it :unsmith:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's easy for me to ignore PS5 achievement lists because I haven't found a way to get from playing the game to the trophy list that doesn't involve multiple screens and input actions

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Hygiene posted:

2017 Prey was great for this, you can run up to the helicopter that's supposed to take you to your first day of work and think, could I jump into that spinning rotor? Yes you can, and the game acknowledges it :unsmith:

I discovered in Cyberpunk 2077 that during the first Johnny flashback, if you try to jump into the helicopter, you can overshoot it and Johnny will heroically mantle into the blades and die.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ha! That's right, I did that!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/Smith_the_Horse

Smith the Talking Horse is an NPC in Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7- Ultima 4 expanded NPC keyword dialog options, and a lot of that game involved asking around for clues. One long goose chase of a quest ends with talking to Smith, who doesn't actually have anything useful to say, and people assumed it was a weird joke by the quest-giver (a palace jester named Chuckles who screws with you in almost every game)

Turns out, actually, that it wasn't intended! Smith was supposed to give the Avatar a vital end-game clue. So when Smith shows up again in Ultima 5, he properly tells you a clue- "the keyword is INFINITY"- vital information for clearing yh last dungeon... in Ultima 4

love old CRPGs, they are pretty much almost entirely made up of little things in games

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I like games where "xyzzy" and "plugh" get some sort of special response.

And hello sailor.

E: I guess that means I like a Call of Duty game.

Don't forget plover

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

https://ultima.fandom.com/wiki/Smith_the_Horse

Smith the Talking Horse is an NPC in Ultima 4, 5, 6, and 7- Ultima 4 expanded NPC keyword dialog options, and a lot of that game involved asking around for clues. One long goose chase of a quest ends with talking to Smith, who doesn't actually have anything useful to say, and people assumed it was a weird joke by the quest-giver (a palace jester named Chuckles who screws with you in almost every game)

Turns out, actually, that it wasn't intended! Smith was supposed to give the Avatar a vital end-game clue. So when Smith shows up again in Ultima 5, he properly tells you a clue- "the keyword is INFINITY"- vital information for clearing yh last dungeon... in Ultima 4

love old CRPGs, they are pretty much almost entirely made up of little things in games

And in every other appearance he keeps on giving you vital information one game too late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Here's a super small narrative thing that made me smile in Dying Light 2: During the game one of the open world-isms are electrical substations, which are basically jungle gyms with cable-and-plug puzzles built in. At one point your dude Aiden is with somebody else while solving one of these, and during this specific instance you can walk up to the foggy glass and grated windows which usually form the puzzle gates to 'check' them and have him say stuff to her like he's explaining it as he goes. I find it novel that they figured, someone else is here this time, he wouldn't just be platforming around in silence for 20 minutes like a weirdo, and implemented small talk accordingly!