Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SmiteOfHand posted:

Is Gamespot's DB broken or did they really go back 6 years later and review a mediocre GBC game? I'm guessing the former.

https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/cruisn-exotica-review/1900-2656316/

By Frank Provo on May 17, 2006 at 3:09PM PDT

It's almost certainly a reprint, as that was within the time period that GameSpot was going through a re-branding and major staff changes (2006 would have been just before the huge exodus due to Gerstmann's Kane & Lynch review) and was desperate for clicks. But, yes, Provo was basically the Game Boy reviewer for quite some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

baronvonsabre posted:

I love Revenge of the Gator. I think Pokémon Pinball is probably the best pinball game on the GB/GBC if you're interested in replayability and variety, but Gator just feels so good to play.

My cart is unfortunately in storage at the moment, but managed to get this score on the Everdrive yesterday:

I don't think you're getting nearly enough credit for that score. Bravo.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

baronvonsabre posted:

I love Revenge of the Gator. I think Pokémon Pinball is probably the best pinball game on the GB/GBC if you're interested in replayability and variety, but Gator just feels so good to play.

My cart is unfortunately in storage at the moment, but managed to get this score on the Everdrive yesterday:

I've taken a few tilts at it but I don't know that I'll be toppling that score for a while!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's somewhat gratifying to realize there's no way i could've ever beaten mole mania as a child, levels 6 and 7 get devious and i frequently overthink things

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Not related to any of the games you guys are playing but the dude who did the Link Cable to USB thing for Tetris just made wordle for gameboy and I thought it might interest people here

https://github.com/stacksmashing/gb-wordle

Works good although the colour palette on my GBC is disorientating lol

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Finally got my RG351V updated and reconfigured. Ready to jump back into some Gameboy group chat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Spent some time with all three games and here are my thoughts so far!

Cruis'n Exotica: Not that great of a racing game but I still love seeing the colors and pixels of old bad GBC games, mostly just nostalgia happening there. Definitely got passed by a school bus looking thing that rubber-banded past me at like 260.

Pinball Gators: I thought I'd be the high score guy when I hit 500k+ on my first ball, then my next two went straight in the gutter. You really have to get your defenses up and keep them up. Great pinball game though and I love the idea of having score-based games in this thread so we can all find some replay value competing with each other. Also the GB and GBC had some legit pinball games.

Mole Mania: Where was this when I was a kid?? This is charming and fun. I was expecting some kind of dig-dug top down arcade game, not an adventure puzzle game with saving ability. Plays well and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

That's it, I like this thread.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

hey guys i bought an old junk GBC with a bad screen today, i want to mod it with the funnyplaying laminated screen mod and a speaker, any suggestions for buttons/shell color combos that look cool or tips for assembling that poo poo?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

hey guys i bought an old junk GBC with a bad screen today, i want to mod it with the funnyplaying laminated screen mod and a speaker, any suggestions for buttons/shell color combos that look cool or tips for assembling that poo poo?

Once you set it to the fourth display mode, the one with the cross pattern pixel grid thing, you will never go back. It's unreal how good it looks on that screen. No joke it's better than the Analog Pocket and I own two of those.

The only problem I had installing it was the instructions aren't clear on where to put the black square sticker. Make sure you put it on the back of the screen before you slide the screen into place. I already had mine in place before I knew what it was used for (install instructions on this thing are almost non existent and you pretty much have to use YouTube videos).

I would stay away from the buttons period and just use their shell. Use the OEM buttons and pads. OEM is always better than cheap recreations. Just use the new shell, that's it.

Also the touch sensor wasn't obvious when I installed mine. Since there's no instructions anywhere, I thought the touch pad had to be installed over the IR port in order to work. Turns out it works even when pressed against plastic with no window. So don't waste you're time soldering so it can go in the IR port. It works just fine touched up against the plastic which I had no clue would work until I watched other videos and I was wondering why no one was touching the IR port.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

italian quid posted:

Not related to any of the games you guys are playing but the dude who did the Link Cable to USB thing for Tetris just made wordle for gameboy and I thought it might interest people here

https://github.com/stacksmashing/gb-wordle

Works good although the colour palette on my GBC is disorientating lol

My eldest and I have been playing this pretty much non stop since they released it. FARTS is their favorite starting word.

I played gator but I suck at pinball and eventually get frustrated cause I want to see all the bonus rooms but could barely do the first one.

Mole is great and perfect low stakes puzzles.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rolo posted:

Finally got my RG351V updated and reconfigured. Ready to jump back into some Gameboy group chat.

Yeah the Chinese retro consoles are great for this sort of thing.

I have mine (An ArkOS Set up RG351P) set up to have the club games in their own collection, have appropriate Super Gameboy Borders setup and everything.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Just from the first five minutes you can tell Mole Mania is Quality.
Something about the extra frames of animation, how the sprites closely match the character designs and display personality even though they’re 8 by 8.

Nintendo had the best pixel artists in the industry in the mid 90’s.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Coffee Jones posted:

Something about the extra frames of animation, how the sprites closely match the character designs and display personality even though they’re 8 by 8.

It's so good! There's so much expression and personality.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Once you set it to the fourth display mode, the one with the cross pattern pixel grid thing, you will never go back. It's unreal how good it looks on that screen. No joke it's better than the Analog Pocket and I own two of those.

The only problem I had installing it was the instructions aren't clear on where to put the black square sticker. Make sure you put it on the back of the screen before you slide the screen into place. I already had mine in place before I knew what it was used for (install instructions on this thing are almost non existent and you pretty much have to use YouTube videos).

I would stay away from the buttons period and just use their shell. Use the OEM buttons and pads. OEM is always better than cheap recreations. Just use the new shell, that's it.

Also the touch sensor wasn't obvious when I installed mine. Since there's no instructions anywhere, I thought the touch pad had to be installed over the IR port in order to work. Turns out it works even when pressed against plastic with no window. So don't waste you're time soldering so it can go in the IR port. It works just fine touched up against the plastic which I had no clue would work until I watched other videos and I was wondering why no one was touching the IR port.

yeah i watched a few youtube videos about it already, it seems pretty straightforward but i'm not really pro solder guy although i've done a few small mods

the buttons on the unit i bought aren't in great condition so i'll at least replace the silicone pads. i might get a set of extra buttons anyway since they're like $1.50 or something, the mod looks so cool in videos and i really want to get it working and play some gargoyle's quest

is the mod easy to combine with a usb battery mod?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coffee Jones posted:

Nintendo has always been the best at making good use of weak hardware, even to this day.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm generally terrible at video pinball, though I'm fond of it, but I think I'm finding a real kind of rhythm to Gator. It reminds me of when I used to play a lot of NES Pinball as a kid (via GCN Animal Crossing). But bigger and better.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I enjoy Gator quite a lot, I picked it even! Still haven't beaten my own high score of 300K though.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I heard that the Gameboy's dot matrix display was old 70s tech, outdated even by 1989 standards. Insane.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Coffee Jones posted:

the little dance muddy does when you clear a screen is so good :3:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

Nintendo has always been the best at making good use of weak hardware, even to this day.

Gunpei Yokoi taught good lessons.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Coffee Jones posted:

It’s such a charming game. Having it on the OG Gameboy is surprising.

I think kid idiot me saw the title and box art and just assumed it was a mole based classic arcade clone of some kind. I would have totally played this!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ashamed that I finally needed to look up a puzzle solution in Mole Mania on world 6, but after doing so I was definitely not going to stumble onto the answer anytime soon with how I was approaching it so it was probably for the best. it was the screen with the joke sign about the old man not having enough screentime, something about it just wasn't clicking for me despite trying for an hour.

also I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I really do not like the """""bonus"""" game. when I saw it on World 1 i assumed the minigame changed based on the world but no, it's just the same with increasingly more difficult patterns. i just don't think the game's controls really lend themselves to that sort of action on the more difficult stages. not a big fan.

otherwise though Mole Mania continues to own. excited to beat it this weekend.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Mole Mania is just a perfect use of the screen space the GB had available- I probably would have liked this back in the day though I wasn't in general huge on puzzle games which the GB seemed to be rife with. At a glance I wouldn't think the digging mechanic would work with the sokoban-like topside puzzles but it adds something interesting.

I love the little suplex you do when you throw a ball over a hole you're sitting in as well as the ability to throw stuff across the screen rather than just pushing/pulling it around- adds a little texture to the moment to moment gameplay.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Countblanc posted:

ashamed that I finally needed to look up a puzzle solution in Mole Mania on world 6, but after doing so I was definitely not going to stumble onto the answer anytime soon with how I was approaching it so it was probably for the best. it was the screen with the joke sign about the old man not having enough screentime, something about it just wasn't clicking for me despite trying for an hour.

also I haven't seen anyone else mention it so I don't know if I'm alone on this, but I really do not like the """""bonus"""" game. when I saw it on World 1 i assumed the minigame changed based on the world but no, it's just the same with increasingly more difficult patterns. i just don't think the game's controls really lend themselves to that sort of action on the more difficult stages. not a big fan.

otherwise though Mole Mania continues to own. excited to beat it this weekend.

nah i agree, the bonus game (and the final boss to a lesser extent) doesn't really fit the pacing of the rest of the game and i wasn't a fan

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Finally made it through the second door in Gator and saw some other bonus stages :toot: score still just under 500k though :argh:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Manky posted:

I think I'm finding a real kind of rhythm to Gator.

Ahaha gently caress me. I managed to get over a million on my first ball, got an extra ball, then the next three went right out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Manky posted:

Ahaha gently caress me. I managed to get over a million on my first ball, got an extra ball, then the next three went right out.

Yeah that has happened to me almost every time i've had a big first ball :argh:

nice work mate, I think you are current score leader

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tried playin' some mole mania. I can see how people might fall down a hole on it, but it felt pretty eh to me. Maybe the puzzles get much more challenging but it kinda felt like I was just executing really obvious solutions and the only challenge was when I accidentally made a hole where I shouldn't've and had to reset the board.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i am complete garbage at pinball lmao

edit: clearly adjusting some settings was the key to a high score

Looper fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Feb 14, 2022

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I can't imagine there isn't a huge overlap between Game Boy Club and Game Center CX fans, but for anyone who missed it, Arino played Mole Mania.

GooseCanyon posted:

Game Center CX 205 - Mole Mania [GooseCanyon]

Translation: Phosphorescent Skeleton
Proofreading: Kuishinbou
Subtitles: Clov
Special Thanks: Bean

As well, special thanks to the team at SA-GCCX, whose translation we used for the opening of the “DJ Monster” segment.

Dig up, stupid!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Thanks geese! I will add the link: https://nyaa.si/view/1366263

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Manky posted:

Nice, that is an excellent score, well done.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Manky posted:

do you own a physical cart for that game? for some reason using my everdrive always forces GBC mode and i cant get the cabbage green color for GB games.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Countblanc posted:

do you own a physical cart for that game? for some reason using my everdrive always forces GBC mode and i cant get the cabbage green color for GB games.

Have you tried Settings > Systems > GB > Hardware > Force GB Mode?

I didn't even know it existed until someone else on the forums told me about it.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Countblanc posted:

Nope, I've been playing off of the microsd, tip of the hat to this post:

Detective No. 27 posted:

For the Analogue Pocket owners, here these are links to the IPS patches to convert the ROMs to GB Studio format.

Revenge of the Gator

Mole Mania

But as mentioned, Force GB Mode will do the trick on a flash cart.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nice, thank you both.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i got this guy from the junk bins, the buttons were shot but after cleaning with IPA they work perfectly, there was a bit of corrosion on the board itself but everything is good now. the screen isn't great though, there seem to be some polarization issues and when i turn it off theres a visible ring that lingers on the screen, so i think this guy is a good candidate for an IPS mod

i haven't managed to get a good score on revenge of the gator yet, although it was one of my childhood games i was always pretty poo poo at pinball

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I never really "got" pinball, but I've been having fun with Gator anyway! I think I broke 500k once. Nowhere near these million point scores yet.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Postman posted:

I never really "got" pinball, but I've been having fun with Gator anyway! I think I broke 500k once. Nowhere near these million point scores yet.

I love hearing the crack on pinball tables when you unlock a free play. Not really sure why they do that, but it's very satisfying.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like the big gator that eats your balls when you lose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'm going to kick that gator's rear end