Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Excuse me, but the Singularity Engine was Creepio's war crime, don't try to pin it on anyone else.

That Creepio sounds like a sketchy fellow. Glad I only know cool droids like Friend Besto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When people ask "what is the point of this show?" they don't actually mean it. They just weren't entertained.

I meant it. :colbert:

Show was bad.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the dialogue in this show is so insane. lol at making the wookiee patrol the trandoshan district, also.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I don't get the point of, like, Bobbba getting it in his head that Tattoooine is "his planet" (is it, though? Is it really?) and that he needs to lead its crime syndicate and everyone's like "This is kinda weird, why are you doing this?" and then at the end when all is said and done and he actually gets what he wants, he then turns to Shand and goes "Gee, people like us aren't really suited for this, are we?" like...what. Then...what was. What was your point. What was your angle

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BrianWilly posted:

I don't get the point of, like, Bobbba getting it in his head that Tattoooine is "his planet" (is it, though? Is it really?) and that he needs to lead its crime syndicate and everyone's like "This is kinda weird, why are you doing this?" and then at the end when all is said and done and he actually gets what he wants, he then turns to Shand and goes "Gee, people like us aren't really suited for this, are we?" like...what. Then...what was. What was your point. What was your angle

What happens when you build an entire TV show around a single incredible image [Boba Fett on Jabba the Hutt's throne]... and then have no actual idea about where to go with that story.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Boba’s motivations seem pretty clear to me and come from two angles:

1) His time with the Tuskens giving him an appreciation for the planet and its natives and wanting to improve things for them in the way that he knows best; by muscling in and putting pressure on the gangs and offworld groups running things.
2) Him being tired of working for powerful idiots for a living when they have no loyalty to their mercs or any real regard for their well-being.

So Boba thinks he can merge the two ideas and become the powerful idiot daimyo of Tuttooiiiiiiiiine while making Mos Espa safer. I get that, makes sense to me and to the character. It’s just not communicated well at all in the show aside from one or two lines in the first few episodes and then it gets buried under all the bullshit of introducing new characters and meandering into Mando S3 territory.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Owlbear Camus posted:

So Luke just gets to keep a whole rear end T-65B space superiority fighter after mustering out into religious hermitage?

I get that he's a big Alliance hero, but it's not like... IDK the USAF just let Mig Alley Aces personally keep their Sabres for a job well done.

Season 3 of Mando should feature a New Republic JAG officer coming to investigate a FLIPL claim at Luke's praxium.

he had that huge fleet of construction droids building his new jedi academy temple or whatever, im sure hes state sponsored and funded with anything he needs right up until his project spectacularly fails and he fucks off to live with the space penguins

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I think it would have been better to reveal that Cad Bane was who the Syndicate hired to take out Boba's Tuskens. That would add more emotion to their final showdown and let Boba get closure on it.

As it is the person responsible gets killed by someone else when Boba isn't present. It's meaningless. I thought maybe Cad making that revelation to Boba would lead to him doing something to the Syndicate leader but nope.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zero One posted:

I think it would have been better to reveal that Cad Bane was who the Syndicate hired to take out Boba's Tuskens. That would add more emotion to their final showdown and let Boba get closure on it.

As it is the person responsible gets killed by someone else when Boba isn't present. It's meaningless. I thought maybe Cad making that revelation to Boba would lead to him doing something to the Syndicate leader but nope.

He did do something to the syndicate leader. He sent Fennac Shand to go kill his rear end and everyone with him. Which she did. She didn't even shoot the leader. She stabbed him. So it would hurt more. And she did him last so he would know pain and fear.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Everyone posted:

And she did him last so he would know pain and fear.

But did he taste man flesh

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Everyone posted:

He did do something to the syndicate leader. He sent Fennac Shand to go kill his rear end and everyone with him. Which she did. She didn't even shoot the leader. She stabbed him. So it would hurt more. And she did him last so he would know pain and fear.

Yes but it was a tactical decision for helping their current battle. She even called it "taking out command and control". It didn't feel like vengeance for the Tuskens at all.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
That was great the guy they captured many episodes a while back knew the location of the baddies the whole time.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
By the end, Book of Boba Fett reminded me a bit of the Luke Cage show. A meandering and pointless story starring a potentially interesting and cool anti-hero who ended up being a lame grumpy middle-aged dad with no "anti" about the hero at all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I think we can all agree that the worst part of this season is that we never got a scene where Grogu picked up Mando's Beskar shirt, flung it over his little shoulder, and flipped Luke the bird as he peaced out of the room.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I kinda wanted Luke to do the drop off just so he can call Boba an idiot and maybe throw him in the sarlac pit again.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think we can all agree that the worst part of this season is that we never got a scene where Grogu picked up Mando's Beskar shirt, flung it over his little shoulder, and flipped Luke the bird as he peaced out of the room.

It would be funny if we see the flashback scene and there's like zero hesitation. just grabs his hauberk and starts sprinting on his little goblin legs out the door.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I wish Boba had stayed with the Tusken Raiders and just became king poo poo of the Dune Sea instead. Be all like "Boba Fett died beneath this sand. I am EEEEEEEhEEhhhhhEEEEEEEEEEEhonk"

I really enjoyed the Tusken Raider part though

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

exmarx posted:

the dialogue in this show is so insane. lol at making the wookiee patrol the trandoshan district, also.

It can't be said often enough - Boba Fett is really loving stupid.

Hey, Wookie guy, you patrol the district inhabited by the sadistic lizard people who hunt, kill and skin your people. No, go alone, it's cool.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boba Fett is secretly just using loyalty to put people he has grudges against into positions where they'll be violently murdered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb5ELWi-ekk

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It can't be said often enough - Boba Fett is really loving stupid.

Hey, Wookie guy, you patrol the district inhabited by the sadistic lizard people who hunt, kill and skin your people. No, go alone, it's cool.

Looked to me like he didn't need backup when he was dragging the entire pile of Trandoshans back down the street to the sanctuary, they were hanging off him like cornerbacks on Bo Jackson

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wrong thread?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ah gently caress meant to throw that in the trailer thread.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Does anyone else see the parallels between BOBF and the 80's Droids cartoon?

• An arrogant assumption that boring side characters make interesting protagonists,
• Generic enemies with vague motivations we don't give a poo poo about,
• Hip "cool" teens with wacky 80s New Wave hair in a biker gang,
• Synthesizer music,
• Boba Fett.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It was nice to see the small town folk and the big city punks overcome their animosity for each other after it had been introduced 2 lines of dialogue earlier

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The way this turned out is such a bummer. It could have been something really compelling if they'd actually made Fett's backstory a significant part of the plot and his motivations, rather than hoping that fans would fill in the off-screen details themselves. Sure, we get a few flashes of Kamino during his drug trip and bacta-dreams, and a bunch of characters constantly bringing up that Tattooine used to have oceans, but the show in no way shape or form earned the idea that Tattooine is Boba's home and that he had to protect and defend it til the bitter end.

The dude is an orphan whose formative home was a city full of cold and aloof genetic designers who created him, as well as millions of nameless clones who look exactly like him and his dad. If he was ever socialized in his youth, it would have been with a bunch of kids who look and sound exactly like him, but who resent or fear him for being different or "better" than them. It's the sort of existential horror that might give someone nightmares! But in the show, his only nightmares are about his absentee dad. On screen he never struggled with his identity, he never struggled with having no home, he never struggled with having no purpose, he never struggled with feeling like he didn't belong anywhere.

If we were meant to feel like he had finally found a family with the Tuskens, or he had finally found a family with his ragtag band of murder-pals, then the execution was truly laughable. You need to contrast the present with the past to pull that kind of thing off. Maaaybe I could buy that we were given enough to understand that his lone-wolf ways came out of abandonment issues in his childhood and that in his middle-age he's taking steps to heal that trauma and build a family based on the loyalty he never got from his father. But even if that were the case, it's handled vaguely and clumsily and is mostly inferred. The show would have to be about that rather than about... I don't know, I guess trying to create a nonviolent mafia where everyone has to respect the guy at the top—despite him not earning the position or being competent at doing so?

It baffles me that the show seemed to think we'd be satisfied that Boba hanging out with Tusken Raiders for a few months (?) and pulling one train robbery with them was enough to make it feel like Tattooine was his home. The only previous relationship we know he's had with the planet is that it's a backwater shithole where he used to pick up gigs and flirt with gals at a scummy bar. Hell, we never even see what the suddenly-altruistic Boba is fighting against.

Who are the citizens of Mos Espa, and how are they being oppressed? What do they think of the new crime lord who is suddenly laying claim to their town out of nowhere? Hell, Mos Espa is a very big place—how many people actually even know of Boba's existence? Who is actually being hurt by the spice trade? What does spice actually do other than "drug-stuff"? Why is Boba suddenly a Just Say No square? Listing all this out would feel like nitpicking if these weren't absolutely essential pieces of narrative needed to sell what they were trying to do here. There was a ton of material to work with, but it was all totally squandered.

Instead, we just got a show about Boba Fett, wealthy bored gentrifier.

Handen posted:

Does anyone else see the parallels between BOBF and the 80's Droids cartoon?

I actually wonder if there was some influence, direct or indirect. Droids is inspired by the Holiday Special cartoon in both tone and style. The Mods 1000% feel like they'd be at home in Droids and we got some nods to the Holiday Special cartoon with the weapons and such.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 10, 2022

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

ah gently caress meant to throw that in the trailer thread.

I don’t follow the trailer thread so thanks. :cheers:

Also holy poo poo OG cast!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ghostinmyshell posted:

That was great the guy they captured many episodes a while back knew the location of the baddies the whole time.

Boba knew the location too. He went there to discuss tribute for the Tusken Tribe for their running spice trains through Tusken land.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

ghostinmyshell posted:

I don't know why people were saying they didn't like his performance. I thought it was great-- just a pathetic, weirdly arrogant simp willing to bend over and take abuse from anyone if it'll keep him relevant. Like Space Ted Cruz.

I fully expected Boba's note to say "Please shoot the guy holding this."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

I don't know why people were saying they didn't like his performance. I thought it was great-- just a pathetic, weirdly arrogant simp willing to bend over and take abuse from anyone if it'll keep him relevant. Like Space Ted Cruz.

That would have been hilarious.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hazo posted:

Same, that or for him to go out, immediately get lit up by the Pykes, and for Boba to say "good, now we know where their snipers are" and set some tiny rockets after them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I also feel there was time for a scene where Din asked "have you reached out to the Tuskens?"

Boba: "My tribe is dead."

Din: "Uh, there *are* more. You speak Tusken, right?"

Boba: "...no, but I understand it and can gesticulate with my hands in a way that looks really cool."

Din: "Fett, *I* speak Tusken and I never lived with them. Seriously, what were you doing while you were with them?"

Boba: "Mastering the Gaffi Stick."

Din: "...is that a euphamism? If that's a euphamism I really don't wanna know."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 10, 2022

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I was entertained. Kind of sad we didn't get more about Grogu abandoning his training and the consequences thereof, but I'm assuming that will be a focus of the next season of The Mandalorian.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

CornHolio posted:

I was entertained. Kind of sad we didn't get more about Grogu abandoning his training and the consequences thereof, but I'm assuming that will be a focus of the next season of The Mandalorian.

"Bitch, 900 years I got, training I can whenever get."

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
So Boba became the idiot that gets people killed.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think one of the key problems is the disconnect between Tuskens, the people of Mos Espa and the idea that crime lords would make life better for the people of Tat-ween

I'd get it if the story had Bob help the Tuskens reclaim their land, or become accepted in the city, because they gave him the Dances with Wolves setup where he went native.

But instead they kill off his tribe, he become Daimo by murdering a guy that seems somewhat unrelated to the conflict, and proceeds to dedicate his life to the people of the city - people who had no idea who he was, and likely thought of his Tuskens tribe as nuisance people that just harass and pirate whomever dares to go into their territory, as per every other depiction of the Tuskens.

This was all apparently motivated to stop the spice trade? For which we've basically only shown the reason it is bad is because they drove trains through Tuskens territory and shot at them because they were provoked?

There was a real opportunity I feel to do something more interesting with Bob turned Tusken. The allegory of native peoples whose ancestors were displaced by invaders seemed to be where it started to go, but by killing the tribe they never had to ask any of the difficult questions or ramifications of it.

It's far too much Dune, but it would make more sense of they were mining spice on Tatooine, and that Tuskens sacred land wasß being swallows up by the minijg / drug growth. Hell, they even had lined where Bob quipped that he'd restore the vegetation of Tat-ween with the blood of the Pyke clan.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think one of the key problems is the disconnect between Tuskens, the people of Mos Espa and the idea that crime lords would make life better for the people of Tat-ween

I'd get it if the story had Bob help the Tuskens reclaim their land, or become accepted in the city, because they gave him the Dances with Wolves setup where he went native.

But instead they kill off his tribe, he become Daimo by murdering a guy that seems somewhat unrelated to the conflict, and proceeds to dedicate his life to the people of the city - people who had no idea who he was, and likely thought of his Tuskens tribe as nuisance people that just harass and pirate whomever dares to go into their territory, as per every other depiction of the Tuskens.

This was all apparently motivated to stop the spice trade? For which we've basically only shown the reason it is bad is because they drove trains through Tuskens territory and shot at them because they were provoked?

There was a real opportunity I feel to do something more interesting with Bob turned Tusken. The allegory of native peoples whose ancestors were displaced by invaders seemed to be where it started to go, but by killing the tribe they never had to ask any of the difficult questions or ramifications of it.

It's far too much Dune, but it would make more sense of they were mining spice on Tatooine, and that Tuskens sacred land wasß being swallows up by the minijg / drug growth. Hell, they even had lined where Bob quipped that he'd restore the vegetation of Tat-ween with the blood of the Pyke clan.

Maybe it could have been better if they had made it so after Jabba, Bib Fortuna was a weak lord who was forced to allow the Syndicate to increase their spice production and trade through Tatooine. This leads to worse living conditions for the regular folks. Boba sees this happening during his time with the Tuskens and after attempting to protect them they get killed. Boba blames Bib and that's when we get to the scene at the end of Mando S2.

After taking over, Boba attempts to stop the spice trade to save the rest of the people of Tatooine like he couldn't do for the Tuskens. That leads to war with the Syndicate.

...I mean that's mostly what they did but more clear motivation.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

show was bad. I would have liked it when I was a kid and I do see the appeal of smashing action figures together but overall this just feels like an enormous wasted opportunity and wheel-spinning to make room for the next star war.

Have boba with the tuskens learning about family and love and stuff, juxtaposed with him growing up with cad bane as a lovely faux-dad who turned him into an evil bounty hunter. Then cad can show up and murder the new family at the behest of the pykes and you got an emotional arc going. boba sees that these little people are just getting trampled in the war between crime syndicates and decides to take over jabba's empire and give the planet back to the tuskens and then they can rename tatooine to their original, ancient name 'Jakku.'

I don't think it's too much to ask for the titular character in a show to have motivations and an arc.

E: oh and what a fukkin' waste of matt berry.

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Zero One posted:

Maybe it could have been better if they had made it so after Jabba, Bib Fortuna was a weak lord who was forced to allow the Syndicate to increase their spice production and trade through Tatooine. This leads to worse living conditions for the regular folks.

Yeah I think a big gap was how we never see HOW the spice trade is hurting regular people. Boba just insists it is. Show don't tell.

I guess it wasn't great for the random Tuskens who refused to stop interacting with the train, but it's clear as day in Star Wars that Tuskens and non-Tuskens are worlds apart culturally. Everybody seemed to be doing pretty okay except for the couple of people being ripped off by the random water vendor.

I'd argue that the only time we see "regular folks" getting harassed is Camie and Fixer by the KS gang.