Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DS2 is still much better than all of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Lords of the Fallen especially is super trash. DS2 is hella fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The surge is decent.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I liked the limb targeting stuff for equipment upgrades. Was cool to hack off a couple guys right arms and then wear their right arm

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

ds2 is still better than most non from soft games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Nioh is good. Everyone said Mortal Shell was one of the better Souls clones and they are absolutely lying

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

bored-al smell.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got sick of the surge 2 cause everything looked the same, and it kept throwing the same 2 enemies at me for hours. sotfs has incredible enemy variety compared to any nonfromsoft game lol

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah nioh 1 is good and nioh 2 is great

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I watched lobos play an hour of nigh and it just looked insanely fail and every enemy disgorging 10 +3 to sharp def socks of darkness looter stuff and all the stances and stuff look annoying. Also just very ugly games

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I watched lobos play an hour of nigh and it just looked insanely fail and every enemy disgorging 10 +3 to sharp def socks of darkness looter stuff and all the stances and stuff look annoying. Also just very ugly games

The randomized piles of loot and crafting are the main things bringing it down and that souls games do infinitely better (by not having them), but the stances are cool and the faster paced gameplay is good. Nioh 2 has a switchglaive weapon that's like a saw cleaver that goes untricked, tricked, scythe in the different stances that's epic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

If I knew about it in a pre Sekiro world I might have still tried it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nioh2 is better but it has a bonkers skill tree gating all the cool stuff behind stupid grinds, and the loot stuff is bad. shame because the game is packed with insanely cool enemies and equipment

there are like 4 areas total which gets really old visually. very late in the game they introduced a snowy japanese castle setting w reflecting pools and an upside-down demon fortress beneath and I thought "where was all this flair and flavor for the first 50 hours of this game??"

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Wasn't the Star Wars souls like game pretty good? Or at least one of the better souls clones

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I want a Celtic Mythology one imo.

Not enough Kilts and woad paint in my dark souls games

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Wasn't the Star Wars souls like game pretty good? Or at least one of the better souls clones
It wasn't really a Soulslike at all, it just had bonfires for no reason. Surprisingly decent game but extremely derivative

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

CyberPingu posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
ds3 is winning me over…cool levels…interesting enemy placement…getting my rear end beat and loving it.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

a.p. dent posted:

ds3 is winning me over…cool levels…interesting enemy placement…getting my rear end beat and loving it.

ds3 owns so much

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

a.p. dent posted:

It's awesome, enjoy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

a.p. dent posted:

I don't think I even finished it at launch but I've since replayed it as much as 1 and BB, it's a really good game that grows on you

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I just replayed ds3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro waiting for elden ring. What an incredible set of games, they just really knocked it out the park for a few years there.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

DS3 is criminally underrated and has the most high quality bosses outside Sekiro. The movement feels really good too and lots of cool weapons and weapons art are neat. Also some banger areas. Just don’t bring up the fail swamps in the dlc because certain imps are more protective of them than Shrek

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

EmmyOk posted:

DS3 is criminally underrated and has the most high quality bosses outside Sekiro. The movement feels really good too and lots of cool weapons and weapons art are neat. Also some banger areas. Just don’t bring up the fail swamps in the dlc because certain imps are more protective of them than Shrek

The weapon arts were very cool, especially Friede's sycthe

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also liked stuff like caestus and sell sword twin blades being two separate weapons when double handingnjnstead of making a retarded fist. Not quite powerstanxing but was good DaFoe some stuff

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

everyone knows about it but I love that the only thing stopping you from climbing into the final levels is the dancer, eventually youll reach a wall if you haven't killed the other lords but you can grab a ton of endgame stuff and break the game

cinders also removes like every story flag and puts in a bunch of new teleports so thats fun as hell lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremebuff posted:

nioh2 is better but it has a bonkers skill tree gating all the cool stuff behind stupid grinds, and the loot stuff is bad. shame because the game is packed with insanely cool enemies and equipment

there are like 4 areas total which gets really old visually. very late in the game they introduced a snowy japanese castle setting w reflecting pools and an upside-down demon fortress beneath and I thought "where was all this flair and flavor for the first 50 hours of this game??"

bro it takes like an hour to max out mastery for a given weapon type, and most of the high level skills are like 3% grapple damage in high stance. it does take a while at low levels in NG because it's based on damage though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
anyway I really love Nioh 2 but it's not a souls game at all, and it's not trying to be. it has shrines and a very similar death mechanic but other than that it's its own thing. the levels get reused because you're supposed to pop your buffs and sprint through the levels at 4000% move speed. since the game is all about fighting, it doesn't matter that levels get reused because the challenge is in fighting different enemy combos

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

"ah dont worry, you get to the intended gameplay in NG+9 300 hours into the game"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me 30 hours to full clear NG the first time, dude. And I had maxed mastery in all weapons by that time. If you just use a trash floor weapon at the end of the game you can easily level the skills you didn't use. But it takes minutes to get the early skills even early on, and that'll let you know if you're going to like that weapon or not. Ng+ took about half that to full clear, because I was better at the game.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Yeah the reason I gave up on Nioh 2 was that the amount of options and RPG stuff became overwhelming

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Man it sucks this RPG has so many RPG elements to it.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nioh thanks

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Yeah path of exile has gotten pretty bad lately

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

mbt posted:

Yeah path of exile has gotten pretty bad lately

Lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

Maybe it's because of my expectations since I went in thinking it would be more like a Souls game. But the amount of options you have just got paralyzing to me