Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
"Jigger" has several meanings, one of which is

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jigger posted:

"Informal. some contrivance, article, or part that one cannot or does not name more precisely."

I think that's why the bug is named as such. It's a dingus, a thingumbob, a doodad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://www.etymonline.com/word/chigger

quote:

chigger (n.)
"minute fle-like insect of the West Indies and South America," 1756, from West Indies chigoe (1660s), possibly from Carib, or from or influenced by words from African languages (such as Wolof and Yoruba jiga "insect").

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

forget all that and examine "every australian slang word ever"

Personally I would not trust the country with 100+ variants of 'n-word rock/tree/flats' for place names to not be racist but that's just me

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
i don't know a single person in the US who calls Tylenol, 'acetaminophen', it's just Tylenol, and it's also one of the worst drugs you can take, gently caress that liver killing bullshit

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Anyone found twitter has started being more aggressive about asking you to sign in?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
not really since i'm always signed in

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Splicer posted:

Anyone found twitter has started being more aggressive about asking you to sign in?

Yep, I switched to always viewing tweets in incognito tabs to prevent the constant nagging to log-in, but in the last few days, that's stopped working :(

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Splicer posted:

They should replace the message that pops up with What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about danger.

The danger is unleashed only if you sign in. This place is best shunned and left uninhabited.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Large Testicles posted:

i don't know a single person in the US who calls Tylenol, 'acetaminophen', it's just Tylenol, and
Right, but if you look at the ingredients for Tylenol, it will say "acetaminophen". It will not say "paracetamol", is the point.

quote:

and it's also one of the worst drugs you can take, gently caress that liver killing bullshit
Where'd you hear that? It only does that above the therapeutic dose. Take it as directed and you're fine. Pound them and you'll gently caress up your liver. The same is true for most medicine - if you exceed the therapeutic dose practically all drugs can cause harm.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, Twitter started being really annoying last year, bugging you on every page to sign up for an account but they recently made it so you can't even view anything unless you're signed in. This extension seems to have done the trick in removing that though.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/breakthrough-twitter-loginwall/

edit: Here's the chrome version which I assume also works. Made by the same guy. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/breakthrough-twitter-logi/ohhifopcgokjpbnppnmjbdnjnfcfnlep

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Right, but if you look at the ingredients for Tylenol, it will say "acetaminophen". It will not say "paracetamol", is the point.

Where'd you hear that? It only does that above the therapeutic dose. Take it as directed and you're fine. Pound them and you'll gently caress up your liver. The same is true for most medicine - if you exceed the therapeutic dose practically all drugs can cause harm.

Yeah only problem with that is if you're in real pain but e.g can't afford healthcare people chug those things like they're going out of style in desperation. Plus the amount of other OTC concoctions that have some inside. It can all add up.

It's not an everyone problem but it is a problem. Plus, don't give it to kids.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Beartaco posted:

Yeah, Twitter started being really annoying last year, bugging you on every page to sign up for an account but they recently made it so you can't even view anything unless you're signed in. This extension seems to have done the trick in removing that though.

edit: Here's the chrome version which I assume also works. Made by the same guy. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/breakthrough-twitter-logi/ohhifopcgokjpbnppnmjbdnjnfcfnlep

There's also Nitter, which doesn't nag for a login, doesn't crop images, and automatically puts threads the right way around. And which provides RSS links, so with an RSS reader you can have a Twitter feed without even having an account!

(This is perfect for me, since history shows I can't be trusted to not scream at the Nazis and similar shitheads. And I still don't get why replying is taboo, even though the reply button is right there. I've just accepted that, for me, Twitter is read-only).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beartaco posted:

You are a gentleman and a scholar

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think its important to know the difference between acetaminophen and aspirin because you can take both at the same time but you can't take aspirin with ibuprofen

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

When I worked at Target a British lady came in looking for the paracetamol and I had to explain to her that we don't use that word in the US and she had to look for acetaminophen/tylenol. Except I was just some dumb kid working at Target, so she looked at me like I had no idea what I was talking about. I told her she could look it up on her phone to be safe and she just kinda politely nodded and wandered back to the aisle.

On the other hand everyone in retail lies and gives bad information to customers constantly, so maybe her skepticism was warranted.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The US has chiggers and the UK has chuggers. Completely different, but they’re both annoying as poo poo and everyone wishes they would all just die.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Y'all don't know what calamine lotion is?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

The US has chiggers and the UK has chuggers. Completely different, but they’re both annoying as poo poo and everyone wishes they would all just die.

I agree, everyone in the US and UK are annoying as poo poo and should just die

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

US here and I've always called it acetaminophen. One of my professors told us Tylenol is one of if not the most dangerous drug based on the criteria of how far an effective dose is vs a toxic dose. And that people don't really know it'll shred your liver. A common use case is to take for a hangover after you've already beat the hell out of your liver, so yeah it makes sense that at least in the poorly educated US it's doing some damage.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

D-Pad posted:

Yeah it's the stuff you squeeze out of squid

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hate that I have to take Tylenol for aches now, my doctor told me that my usual ibuprofen can make my asthma worse.

a sexual elk has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Feb 10, 2022

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nah, that stuff is black. Calamine is yellow and kinda sweet/sour.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/zachwell_/status/1490846294650556417

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Hyperlynx posted:

I believe they also can if you have alcohol at / near the same time which is likely enough to occur.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

D-Pad posted:

lol if you think calamine lotion does anything for chiggers

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I remember reading that orders of magnitude more people get acute Tylenol poisoning every year than any other off-shelf drug. That poo poo needs to be behind the counter at the very least.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/phooober/status/1491224734532571137?s=21

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Mak0rz posted:

I remember reading that orders of magnitude more people get acute Tylenol poisoning every year than any other off-shelf drug. That poo poo needs to be behind the counter at the very least.

yeah my uncle died of organ failure basically because of pairing it with alcohol as a painkiller for a year post surgery. i am pretty sure it's not so bad to use sparingly though given it's widespread usage. its high numbers are probably much to do with being the most commonly taken drug in the country or whatever

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Philippe posted:

"Jigger" has several meanings, one of which is

I think that's why the bug is named as such. It's a dingus, a thingumbob, a doodad.

It's also used to describe an amount of liquid equal to a shot glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rChLGkUcPw

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
What you are supposed to do if you are in a lot of pain and/or have an illness with fever is to use an NSAID (ibuprofen OR naproxen OR aspirin, not a combo) and alternate the dosage with acetaminophen/paracetamol. I.E. one dose for the 6 hour duration of an NSAID like Advil, and then after those 6 hours are up you use Tylenol. Doing so essentially guarantees you cannot overdose. This is assuming you can take these drugs ANYWAY because you aren’t allergic or it will contraindicate/complicate another medication or condition.

Just remember both will gently caress you up in different ways.

NSAIDS = fucks your stomach lining and kidneys.
Tylenol = fucks your liver.

Don’t overuse any of them, but Tylenol is the easiest to overdo and arguably the most fatal.

Using alcohol with any drug will basically gently caress you. Please do not use alcohol with drugs if you tend to heal yourself.

dialhforhero has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Feb 10, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't mix drugs and grapefruit juice either. It has big effects on absorption and can cause problems.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

my favorite british mild pain relief drug name is definitely cocodemol

Co-codamol, or as a category theorist calls it, damol.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

ultrafilter posted:

Don't mix drugs and grapefruit juice either. It has big effects on absorption and can cause problems.

wait is that why all the Hunter S Thompson descriptions of drug binges include large numbers of fresh grapefruit

I was and indeed am so square i couldn't figure out if those were for like electrolytes or something lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

NLJP posted:

Yeah only problem with that is if you're in real pain but e.g can't afford healthcare people chug those things like they're going out of style in desperation. Plus the amount of other OTC concoctions that have some inside. It can all add up.

It's not an everyone problem but it is a problem. Plus, don't give it to kids.

Not even just OTC stuff either, plenty of prescription formulations include it too. The messed up thing is that sometimes it's there specifically to gently caress people up that try to abuse the stuff it's added to.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Britain showing it's hand once again by listing the mildest curry known to man in its side.

At least that table I knew most of both sides, whereas I was convinced the men/women one was a gag like the twitter person.

Tikka Masala is the UK curry of choice, but nevermind about that, does the US just not have Korma or what?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Tikka Masala is the UK curry of choice, but nevermind about that, does the US just not have Korma or what?

do you think a single american has ever eaten indian food thats not pizza burgers

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

projecthalaxy posted:

do you think a single american has ever eaten indian food thats not pizza burgers

What is a pizza burger? I mean, I can figure it out from the name but I don't know what it has to do with Indian food.

Regarde Aduck posted:

Haven't heard of korma but that doesn't mean it isn't popular in some parts of the US. It's a big place that is basically 50 countries smushed together, so there's a lot of variety.

The places around here tend to do a lot of butter chicken, tandoori stuff, biryani and masala. I'm a vindaloo fan myself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Regarde Aduck posted:

of course we do, the US has all sorts of indopak restaurants with varying levels of authenticity just like with every other type of food. Like you probably won't find legit foreign food in bumfuck ohio, but any major city will have several options, at least one of which is probably good.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

For a less flippant answer, heres the menu from my local indian place which seems fairly similar to many indian places around at least the southwest us in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

For a less flippant answer, heres the menu from my local indian place which seems fairly similar to many indian places around at least the southwest us in my experience

Tikka Masala? Nice British restaurant you've got there.