Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That’s Galadriel afaict

Edit

Here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

such bullshit

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's a heck of an article

All the photos are captioned with who they are. That's Galadriel in armor, the young guy on the hillside is Elrond.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

no beard on dwarven queen

shows ruined

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tom Shippey was on staff and they fired him for giving an interview? drat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dwarven Queen wants to talk to your manager.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lmao black elf is gonna make so many of the worst people so angry

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Even if the show sucks the weeping and gnashing of teeth in the comments will be grand entertainment.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Tom Shippey was on staff and they fired him for giving an interview? drat

Whos that?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hexel posted:

shows ruined

What if there’s a scene of her shaving? With an axe?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hexel posted:

shows ruined

boooo

Data Graham posted:

That's a heck of an article

All the photos are captioned with who they are. That's Galadriel in armor, the young guy on the hillside is Elrond.

Yeah, the article is terrific. The closing of the intro paragraph is :discourse:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It already is! You don’t even have to scroll more than a couple of tweets before there’s someone complaining about woke whatever

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

TipTow posted:

boooo

Yeah, the article is terrific. The closing of the intro paragraph is :discourse:

They gonna give Galadriel a human lover

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Hexel posted:

this woke nonsense has gone too far

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SHISHKABOB posted:

Whos that?

He's like the preeminent Tolkien scholar alive, big Middle/Old English guy and author of The Road to Middle-earth. Basically Tolkien's academic successor.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Hexel posted:

Yeah. As the rest of the article states they're definitely taking liberties with the "canon" or whatever, so if that's gonna be a bother to anyone they better either buckle in or just sit all this out.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Elf-human romance" is kind of the go-to Tolkien revisionism trope, to the point where even Tolkien seemed like he was dipping into it a bit too much later in his career after having established it early on as like a one-time world-shattering all-bets-are-off-we-lay-down-the-guardianship-of-Arda thing.

The bigger fundamental change the article points at is that they're compressing all the events of the Second Age so they're all happening at once, instead of over the course of like 2000 years. Which is kind of what we all always knew they'd have to do in any adaptation of the Silmarillion or the Appendices, it's just sort of the nature of a TV show.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

they all look like characters from a lovely game of thrones videogame

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Data Graham posted:

The bigger fundamental change the article points at is that they're compressing all the events of the Second Age so they're all happening at once, instead of over the course of like 2000 years. Which is kind of what we all always knew they'd have to do in any adaptation of the Silmarillion or the Appendices, it's just sort of the nature of a TV show.

That makes sense. As they mention in the article, a straight adaptation of the timeline would have you jumping ahead hundreds of years at a time, then having to introduce a whole new set of mortal characters.

I guess the alternative way to do it is to keep to Tolkien's chronology, and tell the story from the human characters' perspectives. Have the events that the happened at the end of the 2nd age in order, but interspersed with flashbacks from the elven supporting cast.

The way the show decided is probably more narratively satisfying, even if the implication of the show that nothing interesting happened outside the last hundred years of the 2nd age is silly.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

euphronius posted:

That’s Galadriel afaict

Edit

Here

This also explains why she was the one holding the dagger that represented the two trees, since she is the only character shown so far that has seen them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having immortal characters seems like a great way to sidestep the recasting issues. Even that bad Foundation show had one interesting innovation, which was that Lee Pace played the same guy who kept getting cloned over and over across centuries.

But that only gets you so far.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Happy about that line saying they intend for the audience to be as young as 12ish, so we’re not getting any “play with her arse” Game of Thrones style horniness

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Hexel posted:

shows ruined

FIXED:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I could see one or two time jumps, but that's never a good thing with a TV show. And frankly, Tolkien did not care anywhere near as much about the second age anyway, hence them putting the show there. Compressing the events will 100% lead to odd choices that anger Tolkien purists, so like, just assume some dumb poo poo will happen.

Galadriel hanging out with a human is hardly a problem, and if she bangs him who cares, elves are allowed to be horny

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

much better

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Data Graham posted:

"Elf-human romance" is kind of the go-to Tolkien revisionism trope, to the point where even Tolkien seemed like he was dipping into it a bit too much later in his career after having established it early on as like a one-time world-shattering all-bets-are-off-we-lay-down-the-guardianship-of-Arda thing.

isn't it literally just the one weirdo family?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
When I first saw the photo of Durin I thought it was an old photo from the Hobbit movies.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*Oscer Special music*

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Also continuing on from the costumes, while they could only be showing the "good" sets, those are actual sets, with actual poo poo in them, with good detail. That is a good sign. So far we have what looks to be people that give a poo poo doing the costumes and sets, and that indicates the director and production at least give enough of a poo poo to do that stuff right, and often that indicates into how they treat the actors and everything else.

They might write a godawful plot that incenses me 5 minutes into the first episode, but it will look good at least doing it, which is more than the hobbit movies can say.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Thank god

quote:

So will there be Westerosi levels of violence and sex in Amazon's Middle-earth? In short, no. McKay says the goal was "to make a show for everyone, for kids who are 11, 12, and 13, even though sometimes they might have to pull the blanket up over their eyes if it's a little too scary. We talked about the tone in Tolkien's books. This is material that is sometimes scary—and sometimes very intense, sometimes quite political, sometimes quite sophisticated—but it's also heartwarming and life-affirming and optimistic. It's about friendship and it's about brotherhood and underdogs overcoming great darkness."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Also the human/elf romance is the sindarin elf and the healer woman, so i think we will be safe from Galadriel getting it on with a human, that seems to be more a way to have Galadriel explain things to the audience as he gets swept up in Galadriel poo poo.

Galadriel owns and considering she unroofs Cirith Ungol Dol Guldur I'm fine with her doing whatever in the show.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 10, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also the human/elf romance is the sindarin elf and the healer woman, so i think we will be safe from Galadriel getting it on with a human, that seems to be more a way to have Galadriel explain things to the audience as he gets swept up in Galadriel poo poo.

Galadriel owns and considering she unroofs Cirith Ungol I'm fine with her doing whatever in the show.

Dol Guldur. Cirith Ungol got wrecked by its own garrison when no real enemies were within 100 miles of it lol

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I wouldn’t have been mad if there were a few tasteful sex scenes but yeah, a dude banging his twin sister doggy style while pushing children out of windows is an unnecessary amount of sex and violence.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

skasion posted:

Dol Guldur. Cirith Ungol got wrecked by its own garrison when no real enemies were within 100 miles of it lol

Yeah I'm posting while working, I knew something did not sound right about that but just clicked post anyway

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah I'm posting while working, I knew something did not sound right about that but just clicked post anyway

this is the only correct way of posting

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I cant imagine being more worried about the event compression than I am about them having to write their own dialogue. All of the non Tolkien material that was written by Peter Jackson's flunkies was almost invariably horrific.

I hope Sauron smashes his mace into someone's spine and then winks at the audience while talking about nervous systems

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Muk Aran

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Very worrying, tbh. I want impossibly-hunky androgynous shirtless elves hammering away in forges like Tumblr promised me. The amount of hunk that would terrify an 11 year old.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“Looks like Numenore is Numenomore.”

*Sauron puts on sunglasses*

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ginette Reno posted:

I cant imagine being more worried about the event compression than I am about them having to write their own dialogue. All of the non Tolkien material that was written by Peter Jackson's flunkies was almost invariably horrific.

I hope Sauron smashes his mace into someone's spine and then winks at the audience while talking about nervous systems

Well luckily instead of being written by Philippe Boyens it’s written by…two random guys with no credits and an endorsement from JJ Abrams.