Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
I'm currently a business analyst for a top transportation logistics company on the recruitment side. Corporate decided to centralize the hiring process and created a new department. I was the first employee and built everything system wide from the ground up, working hand in hand with execs on the project team to get the department launched. We primarily use things like Salesforce, Taleo and call center software which I admin, along with things like managing projects and reporting out to management/execs. Realized from the beginning I would be basically doing at least two people's jobs but thought this would be a great job to show my skills. I think we largely succeeded since we have saved the company a ton of money and employment for truck drivers are at an industry high for us now. But it is very clear to me I'd have to stay in the area of HQ to progress in my career there, and I had to move to help family out during COVID. It is also very clear that I would make far more money moving to another company all together.

So currently I am not sure where I could progress my career in order to make more money. I am currently at 80k with bonus but I feel like it is possible I could make at least 120k somewhere else. I could in theory continue on the Salesforce path, or work in project management. Or just take a senior business analyst role elsewhere. I have had a few interviews for senior roles but no offers so far. I am also studying for a PMP causally as I feel that could be good for my resume. Any thoughts on what is possible for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014
Been a minute since I've been on here. Things have been going really well in my career. I've pushed for the responsibilities that I want, been ambitious with my plans and have been rewarded with the title that I've wanted for some time. The thing is, when we had a re-org and new titles/comp packages communicated at the end of last year it was all done very piecemeal. I realised after the fact that an error had been made on my comp. Like, a simple math error, which has left me shorted by 5% on my annual pay. I brought this to my boss who raised it with HR. They've been giving him the runaround and coming up with lame excuses.

This is leaving me really frustrated. People who work directly with me value me and trust me and I have a great reputation, as far as I can tell. But these goobers in the comp part of HR (who have no idea who I am as far as I know) are either (a) idiots (b) covering for their error (c) not understanding how they screwed up or (d) some combination of the above.

This has now been going on for over a month. I've always gone above and beyond, and it's led to career progress. But knowing that I'm being compensated at a reduced rate due to someone else's error is seriously reducing my appetite for putting in the extra effort.

Any suggestions? I've updated my resume in case they really refuse to correct it. I could probably make more money elsewhere (I'm in the trap of the internally promoted and somewhat underpaid employee.) I'm happy to work for the money we've all agreed I should be paid as I love what I do, but I'm not leaving money on the table and being made a fool of because some idiot doesn't know how to do basic math. And the higher this goes and the harder I push the more potential for being seen as a "problem" (even if I'm the aggrieved one.) Curious if anyone has ever experienced this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I threatened to have weekly standing meetings with HR once when something similar happened to an employee of mine and that got things moving.

Get your boss to escalate is really the only answer.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hope your boss isn’t this jabroni either

https://www.askamanager.org/2021/10/my-employee-wasnt-respectful-enough-after-the-company-messed-up-her-paycheck.html

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

Jesus. That's nuts. But either way, I'm not a new employee, I'm a head of a team and the lead of an area of discipline for an entire region. I'm not saying I'm irreplaceable because that's something naive people tell themselves, but no one wants me to leave in a huff.

My manager said that there were other mistakes from the re-org, but from what I can tell they were about job titles and not comp. He said they had their hands full fixing the errors and I said (with "are you hearing what I'm saying" eyes) "I would suggest they fix this one with a sense of urgency."

I'll give it to the end of the week before I push harder. Thanks.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I've been working to leave my job for the past four months, going through the process of information interviews, applications, and job interviews.

Due to the nature of my current work, a project where I managed phase A early last year is about to enter phase C and I'm about to be heavily involved again. I had hoped to get out before this began, but here we are. My involvement during Phase C will be heavy for 6 months and overall last for a year.

The office has been hemorrhaging people lately, I will be the fourth on my team of 21 to leave in the last few months.

How do I handle this in a way that burns as few bridges as possible?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You don't worry about it. You'll largely be forgotten if you put in your regular notice and don't illegally sell ip. Any bridge that's burnt for just a regular job switch is not a bridge worth having.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Lockback posted:

You don't worry about it. You'll largely be forgotten if you put in your regular notice and don't illegally sell ip. Any bridge that's burnt for just a regular job switch is not a bridge worth having.

Great -- There's a lot of personal ownership of projects here, plus after 7 years I've developed positive relationships with my boss so my perspective is likely skewed. I'll keep on keeping on until I get an offer in hand, then let them know.

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Great -- There's a lot of personal ownership of projects here, plus after 7 years I've developed positive relationships with my boss so my perspective is likely skewed. I'll keep on keeping on until I get an offer in hand, then let them know.

I'm in a very similar situation with my issue above. But that's the name of the game. People leave and it is what it is. It's very easy when you're really invested to see yourself as irreplaceable but it's just not true. Do what you need to do.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I am looking to transition into IT from healthcare. My plan was to get familiar with IT basics (I am currently studying for A+ and taking the free CS50 class), then jump into a helpdesk role while I look for something better. I was looking at getting into quality assurance and customer success manager, but breaking into those fields without any previous experience in those fields seems like a real crap shoot.

Are there any other career options I should explore while I'm in this transitional period?

I don't expect to work at the role I want right away, but it looks like there are some people who were able to break into the industry without prior experience by leveraging their previous skill sets. Then again, I was watching a video by a Youtuber explaining she was able to transition from a teacher to working in quality assurance because one of her friends referred her. That doesn't' seem like a viable plan. Certainly not something I would want to bank my future on. I did look into EMR, but the other roles are more appealing to me because handling insurance documentation and patient documentation gives me PTSD.

I have also been eyeing the idea of returning to school to get a bachelor's or master's in informatics.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 9, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

QA isn't that hard to get into and I think it's a really good career for people who don't quite have the developer skills and have good documentation/task management skills. You do need some technical chops, things like Ruby and Selenium which you can learn online, and doing some intro courses in Azure/AWS and some CICD stuff like Jenkins and K8s is good. If you're able to go through that stuff getting to the level of associate Software QA engineer isn't too hard. I don't know that going the helpdesk route helps all that much, but obv that's an easy job to get that helps pay the bills.

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020

Lockback posted:

QA isn't that hard to get into and I think it's a really good career for people who don't quite have the developer skills and have good documentation/task management skills. You do need some technical chops, things like Ruby and Selenium which you can learn online, and doing some intro courses in Azure/AWS and some CICD stuff like Jenkins and K8s is good. If you're able to go through that stuff getting to the level of associate Software QA engineer isn't too hard. I don't know that going the helpdesk route helps all that much, but obv that's an easy job to get that helps pay the bills.
I am still planning on getting my A+ as my parachute, but QA seems like a real good fit for me, even if I know nothing about it at this point (I downloaded Jira because it was free and none of it makes any sense). What are some other things I should be doing to get into QA? Ruby looks like a programming language, so I'll wait until I finish CS50. Would joining a manual testing farm site like uTest help pad the resume at all? Google seems to tell me it's either a scam where you do cheap manual labor, and others swear they were able to leverage their uTest portfolio into a QA career. For what it's worth I'm doing their tutorial on software testing, and I've been impressed with the quality. I've also looked at getting the entry level ISTQB certificate, but is there a point to getting a certificate if you don't have actual work you can show on your resume?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've had two interviews now with this relatively small company from the east coast, and they seem eager to bring me on. I originally applied for a cloud secops position but after my 1st interview they realized I don't have the necessary experience for it, but they've got this other position for a support person that I'd fit in for. They never had any listings for that position, but did give me an actual JD of it and it all looks great. Second interview is with who'd be managing me and it goes well and he seems eager too. I ask plenty of questions about the position, how daily duties are, work/life balance blah blah blah. It was a short conversation but seems to have gone well.

Anyways despite all of this, I'm skeptical of it. This the first company I've had an interview for in a few months of looking. I have no cloud experience but am in school for it and have a few certs, but I feel like something is up with all of this. It could be my seasonal depression telling me that I'm certainly not capable because I've gone this long without interest from anyone despite applying for hundreds of jobs (through LinkedIn, Indeed, and company websites). Have had a bunch of recruiters, but no interest after their intro calls.

The company seems to have had a slow start at things but from what I can tell has been growing the past few years. Maybe I just found a company who's willing to take a shot on someone less experienced to take an entry level spot?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

I am still planning on getting my A+ as my parachute, but QA seems like a real good fit for me, even if I know nothing about it at this point (I downloaded Jira because it was free and none of it makes any sense). What are some other things I should be doing to get into QA? Ruby looks like a programming language, so I'll wait until I finish CS50. Would joining a manual testing farm site like uTest help pad the resume at all? Google seems to tell me it's either a scam where you do cheap manual labor, and others swear they were able to leverage their uTest portfolio into a QA career. For what it's worth I'm doing their tutorial on software testing, and I've been impressed with the quality. I've also looked at getting the entry level ISTQB certificate, but is there a point to getting a certificate if you don't have actual work you can show on your resume?

uTest sounds like the ubereats of testing, which while not strictly a scam is probably exploitive. That said, it also sounds like it has some testing skills associated with it. So maybe, possibly worth giving a shot but probably not a replacement for real learning and I'd probably bail quickly as soon as you stopped learning things. There are also QA bootcamps which tend to be shorter and cheaper than developer bootcamps, but I can't speak to their quality.

Ruby is a language, and Selenium is a tool QA uses for testing that you can automate webbrowsers and write your own test scripts in whatever language. Both can be learned in classes or with online tools, whether you can learn them on your own is up to you. Learning CICD, AWS, and other cloud-native things can also be done on your own. Those probably don't need strict classroom structure for QA, but you should be able to talk intelligently about what a container is or how software gets deployed. You can even get free/cheap AWS accounts to play with.

And yes, certs always give an edge for people getting into the industry, they get quickly eclipsed by experience though.

cage-free egghead posted:

The company seems to have had a slow start at things but from what I can tell has been growing the past few years. Maybe I just found a company who's willing to take a shot on someone less experienced to take an entry level spot?

If it's a support position then yes, it's not unusual especially in this current environment. As long as your comfortable doing support (internal or external, do you know?) then nothing you said sounds particularly shady or unusual.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

If it's a support position then yes, it's not unusual especially in this current environment. As long as your comfortable doing support (internal or external, do you know?) then nothing you said sounds particularly shady or unusual.

External support for the company's customers for a product they install to their cloud or hybrid environment. They're worldwide so they said sometimes the hours might be goofy, but nothing too often outside of the typical 9-5.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Are there any good resources to look at for transitioning in to consulting or contract work mid career? I do technical project management at a non FAANG big tech and already get insurance via my wife because she works for the state and has a better plan than what my employer offers. Which has caused me to start to consider what options are out there where I can trade higher pay for not having access to benefits that I don’t care about anyway (I know I’d have to consider if I lost 401k match or if I had to start paying taxes as self employed but that’s be something I’d worry about if I got to the point where I had an offer). I’ve got all the boxes checked, an MBA, PMP, Scrum certified, etc. And I am happy as a TPM so I would be looking to stay in that type of role or something adjacent to it. But looking online all the resources I can find are just about jumping straight off the deep end and becoming a full time self employed consultant. I think I’m probably more looking at what it would take to join a contracting house and dip my toes in to with some six month or 1 year contracts.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 10, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

cage-free egghead posted:

External support for the company's customers for a product they install to their cloud or hybrid environment. They're worldwide so they said sometimes the hours might be goofy, but nothing too often outside of the typical 9-5.

I mean yeah that is historically a entry level job, people usually don't want those jobs very much once they get experience under them. Support can be a great place to grow as long as you're comfortable with the job duties and pay and whatnot.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Lockback posted:

I mean yeah that is historically a entry level job, people usually don't want those jobs very much once they get experience under them. Support can be a great place to grow as long as you're comfortable with the job duties and pay and whatnot.

Yeah, I'm basically pivoting from desktop/helpdesk support to cloud so it's a foot in the door that'd be nearly double what I make now so I think it should be good, I'm probably just nervous to take on a new role in a newer field.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's natural to be nervous, we're all wired to be naturally more conservative so sometimes it's easier to ask yourself "what is the best alternative?" Continue in your current job that you have obviously put a lot of effort into leaving? Probably not. Continue looking for another role, ok option but how likely is it to be actually better than what is in front of you? Especially given the time lost in accruing experience.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Graduated at the end of 2021, and I've been doing a very bad job of applying. But now that I'm looking at jobs seriously, I'm wondering if I am even looking at the right place.

I studied Economics and took Econometrics, which I thought I learned pretty well, so I've thought of becoming some sort of research/business analyst because I wanted to work with hard skills. But all my work experience is in "soft" non-profit fields. I feel like I do have relevant skills, but I have no idea how people are going to see that.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

I'm interviewing today for a job at a very monied non-profit and I'm wondering how much % increase in salary from my current job is worth shooting for. Is there any guidance on this?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is market for the position and how much do you make, let's start there

a lot of non profits have to disclose fairly detailed salary information so you can probably find some of it

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm interviewing today for a job at a very monied non-profit and I'm wondering how much % increase in salary from my current job is worth shooting for. Is there any guidance on this?

Decide how much is realistic and how much you think you are worth and want then add 20% to that then walk down if necessary during negotiations. I made this mistake during my last job offer of not doing research first. I asked for 25k increase over my last salary and they immediately accepted. After I learned what my contract was for, I could have easily negotiated another 20k.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Go read the negotiation thread and then don’t say a number.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what is market for the position and how much do you make, let's start there

a lot of non profits have to disclose fairly detailed salary information so you can probably find some of it

Jordan7hm posted:

Go read the negotiation thread and then don’t say a number.

In the interview, I asked them the range and didn't give any response when they told me.

I'm currently at 77k, the range is 65-75k.

Gonna check out the negotiation thread, thanks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
your counterparty in this negotiation isn't giving you a market amount, they're giving you a range of what they would like to pay for the position. those are different numbers

glassdoor, your network, other job postings, etc are all sources of market salary information

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Try 990s if it’s a nonprofit. I’m phoneposting atm, but IRS has a public lookup database.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Maybe some agency people here can give more input. Offer to work for cheap maybe? The official channels don’t always matter, especially for large creative agencies with tons of volume. Network, flex LinkedIn (peep the LinkedIn thread) and get your name out there. If you’re just clicking applications all day your odds are low.

Sr Cw/Agency person turned freelance here. Worked with Goodby, Wieden + Kennedy, Crispin Porter--my advice would be checking out some kind of portfolio school. I know it sucks to have to pay to get in but that's how this stupid lovely industry keeps the good work in the hands of a few white people. (I'm black and have had to fight for every non black history month brief I've ever been on)

You need a network. I cannot stress this enough. Your network is more important than your portfolio usually because you can skip applications by hitting up recruiters, creative directors, creative resources directly.

Good schools include VCU, maybe Creative Circus--no clue about the Miami ad school. Heard it depends on the campus. VCU has the best network, hardest to get in, costs the most. Upside tho you get a degree so you can feasibily retire from creating to keep the ad grift going by teaching.

If you can't or are unwilling to go ad school route know that it's gonna be insanely hard to break in and make "cool ads". No Superbowl spots, gently caress you probably won't even make TV. Mostly social, maybe some blogging. That work sucks and will drain you fast.

Check out the One Club, they often have programs and poo poo. Also check out Goodby Silverstein & Partners new ad school they announced recently. The agency definitely isn't the best anymore, but they have good people who know poo poo and can teach others. Plus the schools free if you get in.

Uhhhhh other advice I'd give is never do spec work for a client, do it for yourself. Make up your own campaigns and include strategic write ups for why you think it works. Early in your career always include your "dream" poo poo as well as mundane work you're paid to do. Also showcase whatever creative poo poo you might be doing on the side---most of my interviews have more devoted to me gushing about those than my ad work; I've only not gotten the job once and that was for a Verizon freelance gig and I'm glad I dodged it.

Please feel free to PM me! Anyone trying to get into the hosed dumb industry that is advertising.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 15, 2022

Bill Pullman
Mar 30, 2014

Bill Pullman posted:

Jesus. That's nuts. But either way, I'm not a new employee, I'm a head of a team and the lead of an area of discipline for an entire region. I'm not saying I'm irreplaceable because that's something naive people tell themselves, but no one wants me to leave in a huff.

My manager said that there were other mistakes from the re-org, but from what I can tell they were about job titles and not comp. He said they had their hands full fixing the errors and I said (with "are you hearing what I'm saying" eyes) "I would suggest they fix this one with a sense of urgency."

I'll give it to the end of the week before I push harder. Thanks.

Welp, turns out it's not a mistake. Comp decided to rate me lower than my peers and compensate me at a lower rate without discussing it with my manager. He's trying to come up with a solution. I'm polishing off my resume.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bill Pullman posted:

Welp, turns out it's not a mistake. Comp decided to rate me lower than my peers and compensate me at a lower rate without discussing it with my manager. He's trying to come up with a solution. I'm polishing off my resume.

That is terrible but I guess there's no clearer red arrow towards the door than that.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe
I'm currently a middle school band director, and have been for 21 years. The thought of still doing this in, say, five years makes my skin crawl. I'm tired of my success/failure being tied to kids who are increasingly disrespectful, lazy, and apathetic.

So, that said, are there any teachers in here who have pivoted to different careers in their 40s? I always feel like my skill set makes me REALLY qualified for my current position, and literally nothing else. I love computers, and I could see myself working through some online courses to get some IT certifications. But the thought of it paralyzes me.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you looked into project management? That might be a better match for your existing skill set, and it can pay pretty well.

Dressed For Chess
May 6, 2007
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

Have you looked into project management? That might be a better match for your existing skill set, and it can pay pretty well.

I'm definitely down for that sort of thing, but it looks like it might require a good bit of higher education to get that degree. What gets your foot in the door as a project manager?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

AFAIK there are no specific educational requirements, but the project management thread can give you better advice than I can.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

This might be the best thread to mention this in, but my mega organization’s niche (hospital specialty IT) is going to be doing some pretty big 2-4 year projects and restructuring my department to fall under a new corporate umbrella. Normally we all cruise along and things are very steady and seniority based.

My job is pretty secure, and this is a *really unique* opportunity to gain a bigger role (and salary band) much more quickly than I otherwise would, especially because my current manager is aiming to jump up the ladder too.

I guess I’m worried about loving it up and that my good hearted but micromanaging manager will take as much project scope as possible for herself and I won’t get to benefit comparably.

Any suggestions or experiences from people who have been through major career opportunity periods at their job?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Do you feel comfortable talking to your manager about your goals?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

ultrafilter posted:

Do you feel comfortable talking to your manager about your goals?

Fairly. I already have, somewhat- we’re still in the corporate announcement phase of things. The tricky part is I think we’ll both be somewhat competitive for some of the design and implementation work/resume builders because delegation isn’t her strong suit.

Though to be fair, if she moves up and I “just”move into her role way earlier than expected, that would already be a pretty big leg up for me.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I'd def say your best bet is talking to your manager about working together to get you both a promotion. That's a common pattern.

For the competitive aspect. I mean you could start trying to build a relationship with your boss's boss and/or other senior people and eventually make a play via a pitch or straight up relationship but that can really, really backfire.

Somewhat in the middle is working with your manager and trying to find something they're not interested in but you are and then owning that. With the idea being that eventually you end up peers because your thing has legs. Less snakey because it's in the open and growing the pie.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If your scope is growing, expand out. Work with people in other departments and build your brand. If there's stuff flying around it's a good opportunity to become "the guy" for various things. That makes the conversation about jumping to something more lucrative a lot easier to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

velocirapstar
Oct 8, 2018

Get Confident, Stupid!

eternalvictory posted:

Holy smokes, thanks for getting back to me in such a manner, folks.
I’m lucky to have my partner who is just finishing up her schooling and went CC to state, and she’s gone ahead and already got a lot of my paperwork end of things started, like getting me signed up for financial aid. But it is clear I need to get ahold of someone like a counsellor, I think that’s number one on my list at this point.

Rapstar -
First off, thanks again for taking so much time, I appreciate all the insight and hearing about your background - I’ll try address everything I can without creating too much filler.

I’m really torn on what do when considering a sales path or not, I’m inside sales at the moment but my company is so fast and loose that I often end up as first contact where I find myself selling. I wouldn’t say I enjoy that side of things though, even the inside sales part of sales wears on me pretty hard. Which is why the idea presented by kyoon is so intriguing to me, I love building systems and I also love educating others on how those systems can be utilized and how they’ll benefit from incorporating new tools. I haven’t been exposed to even a half assed decent sales environment, so I can’t/won’t neg the idea completely, but I also know that my social anxiety combined with the wrong fit would be a disaster for me.

I don’t have a specific pay in mind as I’m pretty unaware of any of these topics, and it’s partly my motivation for putting myself out there and asking y’all these dopey questions. I know it’s gross to say, but I’m just looking to earn as much as I can, and betting on goons knowing about solid niche fields or otherwise even normal career paths that I’m just wholly unaware of. I had figured I would be told that sales is my best bet for earning 200k and onwards, and I think that’s the baseline I’m after. I know I’m smart and have excellent experience that can relay how I’m a good fit in most any situation I can think of, and I’m dying to figure out how and where I can best throw my weight to get the best outcome possible for my income.

I have more I need to respond, but I have to cut myself short at the moment. Apologies for any points I haven’t yet address, I’ll try to continue this later tonight.

Bit delayed but you're very welcome and you're thinking through this the right way imo.

I felt like a dummy for it somehow not occurring to me until kyoon Griffey and xguard mentioned it, but 100% agree that sales engineering (sometimes referred to in job reqs as presales, solution consulting or similar), also seems like it could be a great fit. Some of the most successful people I've seen in my sales career were ones who had functional experience with a product or multiple ones in that area before joining the vendor side and/or they did sales engineering before carrying a bag and big quota full-time.

Being able to have personal anecdotes about "how you used to do X in Y similar situation" or having the fluency in a product to jump pretty much anywhere to answer someone's ad hoc question during a demo is really powerful and both lend a lot of credibility to you and the product you're offering, Plus, once you've mastered that, you can also have a lot more comprehensive conversations with prospects and be more relatable since you've lived in whatever solution they would be using, which if you moved back to sales, makes you come across as a fabled "Trusted Advisor.." Being an AE who can do your own demos as needed is really helpful too since you have a deeper knowledge of the product and can engage resources better.

Comp for non-entry level for most applications that aren't really cheap, transactional stuff is usually low $100k-$125k base minimum I'd guess, then you typically have a shared bonus of some sort that is mostly based upon the the team you support and the entire org/company's performance. These goals are usually pretty attainable unless something awful happens across the board but that's most likely out of your control anyway.

For example, here's a quick search via Glassdoor of the breakdown in my metro area, which doesn't exactly have a high COL or legions of this type roles available so probably fairly realistic unless you're in a top 5-10 major US metro area

Dressed For Chess posted:

I'm currently a middle school band director, and have been for 21 years. The thought of still doing this in, say, five years makes my skin crawl. I'm tired of my success/failure being tied to kids who are increasingly disrespectful, lazy, and apathetic.

So, that said, are there any teachers in here who have pivoted to different careers in their 40s? I always feel like my skill set makes me REALLY qualified for my current position, and literally nothing else. I love computers, and I could see myself working through some online courses to get some IT certifications. But the thought of it paralyzes me.

My wife was an elementary school teacher for 10 years then got burned out and wanted to try something totally different.

She ended up going to work for Vanguard - entry level at first with more of their call-in/support organization to get some experience, obtain her Series 6, learn the business, systems, etc. After 12-18 months, she moved to work with higher net worth clients - she wasn't doing super strategic stuff, more things related to wills, trusts, transfers of assets/funds, that sort of thing but she mostly seemed to like it a lot. She enjoyed the daily challenges and some of the i there that structure while also having adult peers (and clients) to be surrounded by, rather than primarily dealing with kids and lousy parents.

I don't have many other specific suggestions but I have to imagine the soft skills of being able to handle dozens of middle school kids, teach them to play instruments they've never touched before, let alone doing it with patience and understanding to get them to do it in unison while learning and growing as individuals and as a group must have some very relevant aspects to all sorts of corporate jobs :unsmith:

If you enjoy teaching but not who it's been to, Corporate Training, L&D type gigs, or maybe onboarding/boot camps for new customers in tech could also be an option worth exploring.