Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A big theme with Force Ghosts was that A: they're something no one has any real context for, and 2: they can't seem to actually influence the world except through people who are willing to listen to them- and likely attuned enough to the Force, and possibly them in particular, to even be able to see them. They're representative of becoming one with the will of the Force, and leaving a legacy beyond death- something that a lot of characters in Star Wars poignantly fail to do. Also, they're well, ghosts. In a lot of ways they operate basically under ghost rules, only able to haunt people and places that are significant to them, and they have 'unfinished business' with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They aren’t “rules” tho. It’s just stuff that haven’t happened in the movies yet.

Also Palpatines ability to create new life had already been covered in the prequels. He just applied it to himself or developed a new sith skill whatever.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Force Ghosts mostly work on that "as-if" logic SMG mentioned--it's as if Obi-Wan was actually appearing to Luke, when Luke went to Old Ben's cabin and read his notes, etc.

Time travel and resurrection can very quickly make your setting incomprehensible and alienating to people who are superturbomegageeks for it. Not even the MCU, I don't think, could get away with making a bunch more Infinity Wars where it's just a bunch of zany stuff happening where nothing makes sense.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Feb 9, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If I remember my old EU stuff, there were Jedi who time traveled

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
When lightning struck the Jedi Library after Luke chickened out of burning it, it was as if his old master was teaching him a final lesson after all this time

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

euphronius posted:

They aren’t “rules” tho. It’s just stuff that haven’t happened in the movies yet.

Also Palpatines ability to create new life had already been covered in the prequels. He just applied it to himself or developed a new sith skill whatever.

What new life did he create, and don't say Anakin

Also I'm pretty sure George always intended for dead to be dead, and basically confirmed it when he went "Yeah palpatine is very dead idk what they are doing"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Nodoze posted:

Also I'm pretty sure George always intended for dead to be dead, and basically confirmed it when he went "Yeah palpatine is very dead idk what they are doing"

Don't bother Jake, it's euphronius Town.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Nodoze posted:

To be fair, Lucas was the one who originally suggested bringing Palpatine back as a clone in Dark Empire (the original pitch from the authors was to have someone running round dressed as Vader).

He seems to go back and forth on the idea. He suggested having the ghosts of Darth Bane and Revan in an episode of Clone Wars, then changed his mind and asked them to take the scene out because he didn't want the Sith to survive beyond their individual deaths. A version of Bane showed up a few seasons later anyway, but Yoda handwaved it away as an illusion so might not have actually been his ghost.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I liked the idea of Sith force ghosts existing, but basically being cursed & confined to a specific space due to the influence of their power and malevolence. A good force ghosty has reach across the universe, can show up and talk to whoever they want. A sith force ghost is trapped in 1 spot essentially, turning it into a haunted house.

That is kind of how it operates in Clone Wars, as Yoda visits the temple of Bane & talks to his ghost.

If I were trying to introduce Palpatine in the ST i'd have had his force ghost inhabiting the blown up remains of the death star. If you wanted him to have some kind of villain status have imperial remnants worshipping his ghostyness and he can still be the reason behind things. Have his cackling ghost trying to use the force dyad bs to revive himself instead of being a clone already. Snoke is just an out of pocket warlord who took his power willingly but then decided to lounge around in gold robes & rule the galaxy instead of do the work he promised.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Palpatine coming back as a clone isn't inherently undoable in star wars, but the highly derivative and uncreative way its done is what makes it so bad. He tosses off old quotes, doesn't look any different, and has a very broad, poorly defined plan. He's mostly a copy of the exact way pals talks in return of the jedi minus the direct quoting of rots. Dark Empire similarily brought back palps, but made him look different and have a more defined plan and actions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jerkface posted:

I liked the idea of Sith force ghosts existing, but basically being cursed & confined to a specific space due to the influence of their power and malevolence. A good force ghosty has reach across the universe, can show up and talk to whoever they want. A sith force ghost is trapped in 1 spot essentially, turning it into a haunted house.
I like it, and it makes a lot of sense to me.

When we found out that McDiarmid was going to be in the movie, I think most people just expected Kylo Ren to have an encounter with Palpatine's ghost or a recording on a holocron, instead of what we got.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Probably the next time palpatine comes back he'll be a digital homonculus and at least be able to move around, unlike the inferior flesh being they had to use for star wars 9

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Right sorry he was searching for it (the power to create new life) at the sex opera , and then creates cyborgs

You said don’t say anakin but …

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

No Mods No Masters posted:

Probably the next time palpatine comes back he'll be a digital homonculus and at least be able to move around, unlike the inferior flesh being they had to use for star wars 9

That would actually work well for Palpatine. Looking forward to someone sneaking that good idea past Disney in Ep XVI.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Palpatine is Neo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
When people shoot at Jedi, why don’t they try using the stun setting?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

General Dog posted:

When people shoot at Jedi, why don’t they try using the stun setting?
https://i.imgur.com/ivxzd0e.mp4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 9, 2022

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

There's an Imperial crew in one of the Alphabet Squadron books that sets up a makeshift shrine around one of these guys, complete with blood sacrifice :hist101:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tbf that’s not at all what the stun setting looks like in a new hope

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Still can't believe Emperor Puppetine didn't catch on after that

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Should have brought him back as a Henson style muppet.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

DeimosRising posted:

Tbf that’s not at all what the stun setting looks like in a new hope
This was like 25 years before new hope, maybe things changed

Like how the lightsabers got thin from disuse

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Nodoze posted:

Aside from Maul, in Star Wars dead has always been dead. Force Ghosts are a thing, but until Rian Johnson and his big idiot head they were just there to stand around and talk to you. They couldn't interact with the world at all. Maul I think most people have kind of accepted because it was very largely limited to just Clone Wars/Rebels and did a ton for the character, he got a fitting death, and didn't do anything to harm the overall story that I can think of. Also, hilariously enough, he got a better explanation for surviving than Palpatine did

A blanket statement of "well it's a serialized genre movie" is kind of silly because SW while yes being a fantasy sci-fi story has pretty well established rules that they haven't deviated from much. There isn't time travel, dead is dead

Going back to Duel of the Fates and Trevorrow, I remember reading that he turned in a draft and Kennedy wasn't feeling it, so he said ok let me work on it more and get it right and she said no and went to JJ. There might have been a little more to it than that, but that is more or less what happened

Except Time Travel "exists"....unfortunately.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Darth TNT posted:

Except Time Travel "exists"....unfortunately.

Kind of. The World Between Worlds isn't quite time travel, although it is definitely pushing the limit of what "should" be in star wars and thankfully was really just relegated to the cartoon once. I do wish they would use it to just undo the sequel trilogy though lol

IIRC it's not clear if it actually "exists" anymore either, didn't the temple break apart?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The United States posted:

This was like 25 years before new hope, maybe things changed

Like how the lightsabers got thin from disuse

Yeah maybe. In the cartoon it’s like a stun donut, in the movie it’s more like an expanding cone of naptime

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nodoze posted:

Kind of. The World Between Worlds isn't quite time travel, although it is definitely pushing the limit of what "should" be in star wars and thankfully was really just relegated to the cartoon once. I do wish they would use it to just undo the sequel trilogy though lol

IIRC it's not clear if it actually "exists" anymore either, didn't the temple break apart?

There's other gateways, like when Yoda used it to communicate with Ezra, or when Palps came knocking, which means there's likely gates on Coruscant and Dagobah

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I wonder how stun is even supposed to work. My best guess is that instead of shooting a bolt of plasma it sort of sprays it, and that creates a wall of compressed air that hits the target like a sheet of glass. That probably doesn't make scientific sense but it's my best guess as to how you stun someone with plasma.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder how stun is even supposed to work. My best guess is that instead of shooting a bolt of plasma it sort of sprays it, and that creates a wall of compressed air that hits the target like a sheet of glass. That probably doesn't make scientific sense but it's my best guess as to how you stun someone with plasma.

In animated depictions it turns into blue electricity when it hits objects.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Halloween Jack posted:

I think this is how the Stouker Concussion Rifle was supposed to work.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Halloween Jack posted:

An energy pulse creating EMF that disrupts your central nervous system? Idk :shrug:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Taking people prisoner in star wars increases the probability of some bullshit happening by approximately 10000 percent. That's why our wise heroes always keep it set to kill

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Nodoze posted:

Reminds me of the Mortis arc, which is the other time Star Wars dabbles in anything close to time travel. And that's its own kind of fun.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

An energy pulse creating EMF that disrupts your central nervous system? Idk :shrug:
Wookieepedia says that stun "shorts out your nervous system," not that that really make sense.

You know, I'm probably overthinking it. It could just as easily be an electroshock gun mounted on the same frame. I'm sure a battery capable of ionizing plasma can handle that. It would explain why so many Star Wars guns look like real guns with extra clunky stuff on the barrel.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Wasn't the whole Palpatine resurrection plotline originally going to be due to some wacky follower of his finding a way? That's literally all they needed to make it less frustrating. If random new insane man is hell bent on resurrecting Palpatine and has the means to thanks to the whatever device, that tracks fine with Star Wars. If that was an original plotline, I'm sure it got cut to make room, they added the "somehow, Palpatine has returned" line, and called it a day.

Not only is Palpatine just deciding to come back alive in Fortnite more ridiculous than Star Wars usually is, it's unsatisfying to most, and is the first major plot point of the movie.

euphronius posted:

Fair point, but if that's what they were going for, they should have been more clear about it. It's brought up as "OMG HOW?" and "I dunno, he's into all sorts of weird Sith and cloning poo poo, who knows", basically explicitly telling the viewer to not worry about a pretty major detail right off the bat. It was somehow less subtle than when in Looper they start having a discussion about time travel mechanics before saying "don't think about it too hard" or something along those lines.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Glottis posted:

Not only is Palpatine just deciding to come back alive in Fortnite more ridiculous than Star Wars usually is, it's unsatisfying to most, and is the first major plot point of the movie.

THE DEAD SPEAK!

Just think if Palpatine hadn't made that announcement weeks before enacting his final ultimate plan everything would have worked fine

I believe originally when Matt Smith was briefly involved, his character was going to be some Sith zealot guy that gets possessed by Palpatine. Not like a 1:1 change but I think a lot of the sith fetch quest stuff we see in the movie stemmed from what would have been him figuring this stuff out?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seems like the last 100+ years of storytelling convention would have our heroes do their two-act scavenger hunt and then get the Palpatine reveal at the end of the trail, along with the audience. Instead, over the course of the five minutes of the movie, the audience gets the reveal, then the villain gets the reveal, and then the protagonists get the reveal, and then the scavenger hunt starts.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 10, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Disney has no desire to adhere to storytelling convention. They aren't trying to tell a story, they're trying to minimize audience dissatisfaction with their brand via a series of images and sounds displayed in a sequence.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

2house2fly posted:

Disney has no desire to adhere to storytelling convention. They aren't trying to tell a story, they're trying to minimize audience dissatisfaction with their brand via a series of images and sounds displayed in a sequence.
That's exactly what adhering to storytelling convention is about. These conventions came about because wandering minstrels didn't want to be run out of town or perhaps beaten to death because of audience dissatisfaction with their tales.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I really think they've found the right medium for the slop with TV. They got the wedge in quickly and it's already to the point where people will watch a boba show that is almost 50% robert rodriguez by volume, shrug and say it kinda sucked but they liked seeing star wars things, and move on to consume next product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You could add some semblance of structure to the movie just by excising or moving the scene at the beginning where Kylo finds Palpatine. Instead give it an Indiana Jones type structure where the Resistance intercepts intel that the First Order is looking for something really important, but neither side knows exactly what it is they’re going to find. So Team Kylo and Team Rey are racing to find this thing, whatever it is, that might tip the balance of the war. That way it’s in act 3 when everyone gets to Exogol and that Palpatine and his big fleet and the stakes are fully revealed.

It would be pretty trivial to assemble a cut that unfolds this way with existing footage, and I suspect that this may have in fact been the original structure. Why it would’ve been changed to what we got somewhere along the way, I have no idea.