Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SlothfulCobra posted:

Hey Arnold also did a Veterans' Day special where both of the veterans it celebrated were non-combatants. I guess the show was largely about the sides of things most people don't think about, including war. Very weird show.

And Arnold's grandpa disabled an entire Wehrmact division on addition to giving Hitler a wedgie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Arnold's grandparents were the best

Edit: oh shoot, I just remembered (and to keep the thread on topic) the creators have talked in the past about how they wanted to do a sequel series following Helga as the main character in high school. This would have been after Arnold left to go adventuring with his parents, so the framing device was Helga writing letters. I think ultimately the idea was passed on because Daria was on at the time and they were afraid it would be too similar (as, I think, they were pitching the show to MTV). It's a real shame, I'd love to see this writing team tackle something for young adults. Probably would have made the stuff with Helga's parents way more sad...took me years to realize that Helga's mom was an alcoholic

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 8, 2022

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

because nothing is truly dead

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1491509925763338251

e: john dimaggio isn't coming back (for now)

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 9, 2022

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Just let Billy West die, Jesus Christ

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Aiming to be the first show with double digit series finale episodes

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Once upon a time I would have been excited for this but Disenchantment has stripped me of the ability to hope for this.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Animaniacs magic hits twice, maybe Hulu is the spice.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pigbuster posted:

Aiming to be the first show with double digit series finale episodes

How many is this now? Between two different networks, the direct to DVD movies, and the weird way that they kept barely bringing on another series they're at 4 or 5 now right?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Happy Landfill posted:

Arnold's grandparents were the best

Edit: oh shoot, I just remembered (and to keep the thread on topic) the creators have talked in the past about how they wanted to do a sequel series following Helga as the main character in high school. This would have been after Arnold left to go adventuring with his parents, so the framing device was Helga writing letters. I think ultimately the idea was passed on because Daria was on at the time and they were afraid it would be too similar (as, I think, they were pitching the show to MTV). It's a real shame, I'd love to see this writing team tackle something for young adults. Probably would have made the stuff with Helga's parents way more sad...took me years to realize that Helga's mom was an alcoholic

Honestly what little info has leaked out about Craig Bartlett's ideas for The Patakis as a concept over the years has me glad it didn't get picked up cause yeah it probably would have just been a mediocre Daria knockoff if it had ended up on MTV like originally planned and if they toned it down to fit on Nickelodeon it probably would have just come off as a As Told By Ginger knockoff

And of course doing it now just wouldn't work, since one of the core aspects of The Patakis concept is that Arnold and Helga would have broken up, which would be a no sell to a fandom that had to wait 14 years for them to get together in the first place, would make more sense just to continue Hey Arnold from where Jungle Movie left off instead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Smiling Friends and Birdgirl were renewed for new seasons.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

secretly best girl posted:

Once upon a time I would have been excited for this but Disenchantment has stripped me of the ability to hope for this.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the Animaniacs magic hits twice, maybe Hulu is the spice.

They're apparently bringing back a bunch of the writing team that was absent during the Comedy Central revival (and who aren't on Disenchantment) so I have SOME hope.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

They're going to actually stick him in one of those Futurama head jars

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Happy for Smiling Friends and interested in a Birdgirl season 2. I don't think I liked the first season on the whole, but it felt like they finally had it kind of set up by the finale. Not sure why they hosed around so much when they just had 6 episodes but maybe season 2 will work out better.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Love smiling friends.

Guess those HBO Max numbers were high

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Both shows I'm excited to see more of, alongside Futurama.

They could pull it off!

Bust Rodd posted:

Geez, ya don't gotta kill him off. He can just move on to a new show and voice new characters if it's bad and gets cancelled. Again.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1491511284344492037?s=20&t=vwTvuBXlku1TJc2fNJdGeg

Uhhh.....huh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They must have really lowballed him or something.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, feeling less optimistic about this reboot now.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Holding off final judgement until the actual show drops but him not being a part of things makes me feel... not optimistic about this one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

readingatwork posted:

Holding off final judgement until the actual show drops but him not being a part of things makes me feel... not optimistic about this one.

At this point I'm pretty much assuming it'll be bad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Only acceptable way to move forward is to just ditch Bender and bring in a new character that is similar but distinct. Trying to get a new person is just going to sound like garbage.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Man Futurama was great, too bad they only made four seasons.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

They must have really lowballed him or something.

DiMaggio is literally working for them right now on Disappointment Disenchantment.

How badly did they gently caress this up that he isn't willing to walk five metres down the hall from his current voice booth to theirs?

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Between Rugrats and Lamb Chop I learned plenty of Hanukkah and Passover songs that deeply annoyed my grandmother who thought that they were corrupting her good Christian grandson :).

I imagine it was quite the surprise for Lamb Chop.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mycomancy posted:

Man Futurama was great, too bad they only made four seasons.

Eh, there were some great episodes in the revival. The Mirror of Benda, The Late Phillip J. Fry, and Murder on the Planet Express all stand with the best episodes of the entire series.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Data Graham posted:

This has always fascinated me. Just the whole concept of every show having a unique style, just there BEING as many unique styles as there are shows, or artists (and then when a show gets greenlit, you have to hire an army of artists to mimic the show's originator's style perfectly).

China Illinois:
I know Brad Neely was involved with the animation but they really ruined the charm of the shorts. The writing was good (Vernon Chatman of Wonder Showzen and Xavier contributed) but it didn't have the same feel at all. Adult Swim could have taken a gamble and produced something completely unique in the history of adult animation (or any professional animation maybe) by sticking with the slideshow format.

Here's the wiki on it:

quote:

Animation is done at Titmouse, Inc. in Los Angeles.[30] When asked about the slideshow presentation of his animated shorts in an interview with The College Hill Independent, Neely felt that the approach was not "an aesthetic choice, it was sort of the only thing I was able to do. I'm not an animator."[31] He stated that, out of "ignorance and not having a whole lot of options", he hand-drew each frame on paper and scanned them into a computer; he felt the restrictions "really paid off and I enjoyed the form. ... But, it never was something I felt I was needing to defend or stick to, or that it represented me artistically."[31] Other changes to the art style from the shorts were dictated by animation director, Mike L. Mayfield.[20] Weidenfeld stated that Mayfield "was instrumental in turning Brad's original style into what we had the first season."[20] Among them were the addition of pupils which, according to Weidenfeld, some of Neely's fans were unhappy over.[11] Neely states that "I had a long run of drawing those Orphan Annie style of eyes. That worked well for print. But as soon as things move, the characters start to look like zombies."[11]

Original style for comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GoWGnFzGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

The static images allowed him to add tons of gags around visual transitions, sign gags changing between frames, weird facial expressions, etc. The "polished" result looked generic and cheap (though smoothly animated)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think China, IL is the single funniest show that’s ever been on Adult Swim except for maybe Sealab in its prime.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

It's quite good as a standalone project, I'm just hyping the precursor "motion comics" shorts.

Like how can you pull off this joke in animation? It's a voiced comic strip

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

"My country, is wonderful"

"I don't have to think about anything"

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

For the record, AS aired the pilot on real TV and it was a slideshow. Maybe there was backlash? Feels like the 32/64 bit console generation when Sony told sprite animation games to go gently caress themselves because Americans only want that sweet sweet low-count polygon animation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzYnlHZeSjw

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Speaking of Brad Neely, if you're not already aware, Wizard People, Dear Reader is a product of when he got drunk, watched Harry Potter 1 for the first time, wrote down a new script to go with what he was watching, and now his recording can be played with the original audio off to make way for a new story, re-contextualizing everything that's on screen, complete with narration and sound effects.

I never got into Harry Potter, but I watch this at least once every year and so should you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5ibUzjkOo&list=PL78FDE0E5FBE5F270&index=1

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Come And See posted:

Speaking of Brad Neely, if you're not already aware, Wizard People, Dear Reader is a product of when he got drunk, watched Harry Potter 1 for the first time, wrote down a new script to go with what he was watching, and now his recording can be played with the original audio off to make way for a new story, re-contextualizing everything that's on screen, complete with narration and sound effects.

I never got into Harry Potter, but I watch this at least once every year and so should you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok5ibUzjkOo&list=PL78FDE0E5FBE5F270&index=1

quote:

"More of my gold?" thought harry

quote:

"What are you kids doing here"
"We loving go to school here"
"You will BE schooled here"

There were YT videos around 10 years ago with the original audio (minus voices) mixed in under Brad's narration, it ruled hard. Could only find three like that now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaVht51JhVk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeLZbBG0UNk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA0mqYkowks

FYI there are at least two versions of the narration, don't remember which is better or why

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Professor: "Good news, everyone! I was able to mostly fix Bender's voice box after that terrible accident he had. You'll barely be able to notice the difference!"

Bender (in Chris Pratt's voice): "Hey guys!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DiMaggio’s Twitter right now is him retweeting people saying they need him back as Bender. It’s 100% bargaining right now. Plus he’s a main on Disenchantment, so he’s still super friendly with Groening.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

DiMaggio is literally working for them right now on Disappointment Disenchantment.

How badly did they gently caress this up that he isn't willing to walk five metres down the hall from his current voice booth to theirs?

The_Doctor posted:

DiMaggio’s Twitter right now is him retweeting people saying they need him back as Bender. It’s 100% bargaining right now. Plus he’s a main on Disenchantment, so he’s still super friendly with Groening.

It's genuinely, painfully baffling that they're going through with this without having DiMaggio all set and firmly in their corner yet. It's like going through with another season of the Simpsons, and somehow they don't have Dan Castellaneta on board yet. Just how do you drop the ball this badly.

Edit: Using the ultimate shambling zombie of a show is probably not the best example but I am too tired to come up with a better one right now.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 10, 2022

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I'm excited to see all the gang back together including my favourite robot, Bonder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He definitely has a point he should be getting paid big money for this. Fry may be the main character but Bender is the face of the show and that is entirely on his performance. Like the loving image they're using to announce the show being back is Bender.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
They'll just bring this guy back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mLSVsvGMiU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Bender's actually Flexo right? They could run with that throwaway gag and build new story beats, like the stupid Millenium Falcon dice in Star Wars

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John DiMaggio is inarguably a Billy West/Tom Kenny/Tara Strong level talent that deserves whatever he’s asking for. Also isn’t there a Voice Actors Guild? Isn’t there, like, a certain amount of money he has to make just for being in the business for 30+ years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm honestly leaning towards this being a stunt to boost the announcement at this point.