Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zokari posted:

Jesus, I'm not really that mad. So many healers trying to min/max some very easy dungeons ITT

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Why would I want to heal when I could be spamming more aoes?

iPodschun posted:

The point of the swap conversation for P1S is if you go back to your original position or not. The joonbob video has the south tank and southeast DPS swap final positions if the south blocks are not iceiceice

Yeah, pretty much as long as either tank swaps with any DPS the must-swap configuration will go smoothly. MT/D3 is just one of the standards (thank god because I'm a career OT and can't be hosed to learn the swap).

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
its not that youre mad its that youre getting upset that a healer played very well and nothing bad happened

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just trying to reduce any potential frustration with healers by pointing out that it seems like it went pretty well, all things considered.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Arist posted:

If they're a WHM or an AST it's entirely likely they're trying to get the maximum value out of a Benediction or an Essential Dignity by letting you get as low as possible.

Essential Dignity maxes its potency out at 30%, so there's no need to play chicken that hard with it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Anyway, as the DPS in my static who swaps with a tank for P1S Intemperance, the swaps are easier to execute than the standard clock setups for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Essential Dignity maxes its potency out at 30%, so there's no need to play chicken that hard with it.

Good to know this, at least.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Zokari posted:

Jesus, I'm not really that mad. So many healers trying to min/max some very easy dungeons ITT

lol you’re scared of dying to these very easy dungeons

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
In my day, we used to really gamble when it came to healing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Saint Freak posted:

In my day, we used to really gamble when it came to healing.

Why have you blighted me by making me remember this

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's still on my WHM bar.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Bring Cleric Stance back as SMN ability for physick spamming.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I love bad healers because I play warrior and can hit all my buttons and then think "These poor bastards need me and I don't need them"

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
If I hit a single heal on a WAR in experts I wonder where my life has gone wrong.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should really learn to pay attention to whether a WHM has used Benediction or not when I tank. I've only ever done it twice I think but the "use Superbolide immediately after the WHM uses Benediction" thing is simultaneously embarrassing and very funny.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Gruckles posted:

Bring Cleric Stance back as SMN ability for physick spamming.

Let me freely swap between Summoner and Scholar st any time

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Zokari posted:

more dps = less time doing the same thing you've done for weeks. i dont think about my health even as drk, i just keep rolling mitties and poppin tbns and i only die when the healer isn't blasting aoes.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Tank health does not matter unless it's 0%. Barring spells that functions better at lower values there is no difference between 100% and "enough to health to survive the next attack"

Maximizing DPS is decreasing the total damage mobs do, thus doing the healer's main role of keeping everyone alive

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 10, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like a healer letting me get real low would make my job much more stressful as a tank - I usually only pop one mitigation at a time, but pop more as things look dicey, or overlap for particular pulls, etc. If mobs are almost dead I try to avoid starting a new cooldown since that seems like it'd be better used on the next pull, but I've had that lead to dicey situations where I don't know if I should pop a CD or just hope the healer gets me so I'm not wasting a rampart for 3s of combat.

Generally, I'm very prone to panic if things look bad. Because regardless if the healer does a bad job, if I die as a tank, it still ends up feeling like "could I have done something to not die?"

Also as a healer sometimes i let the tank get low because im min maxing, but more often I let the tank get low because I tunnel vision / space out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

damage is mitigation :hai:

(e) seems its half time to link this again 'cos there's good poo poo in here even if you ain't healing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osvUOqeDwD0

treepunk as hell
Dec 29, 2008

Death is the strongest damage mitigation and the most effective interrupt

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

if damage is mitigation, damage dealers should only avoid damage if it will kill them if it means more dps uptime

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

if damage is mitigation, damage dealers should only avoid damage if it will kill them if it means more dps uptime

literally true

tho admittedly "if it will kill them" is a harder question to answer than it might first seem sometimes :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I definitely stand in aoes in some dungeons when I can count on my healer to keep dpsing and ignore my 50% health bar

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 10, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

thinking abt that time i died to the lota final boss's second flare at 0.3%, and i was the only one

cowards, the lot of that alliance

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean yeah. DPS should dodge when they can - which is basically always - and if they can't cover their own health damage then that's less DPS uptime for the healer, but no one's HP matters when a fight is over.

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like a healer letting me get real low would make my job much more stressful as a tank - I usually only pop one mitigation at a time, but pop more as things look dicey, or overlap for particular pulls, etc. If mobs are almost dead I try to avoid starting a new cooldown since that seems like it'd be better used on the next pull, but I've had that lead to dicey situations where I don't know if I should pop a CD or just hope the healer gets me so I'm not wasting a rampart for 3s of combat.

Generally, I'm very prone to panic if things look bad. Because regardless if the healer does a bad job, if I die as a tank, it still ends up feeling like "could I have done something to not die?"

Also as a healer sometimes i let the tank get low because im min maxing, but more often I let the tank get low because I tunnel vision / space out.

Honestly just pop your invuln if the start of a pull is going south and just space out your mitigations otherwise. If we're just talking dungeons it really doesn't matter if any of them are on cooldown when you get to a boss. Worst case, you die once and check in with the healer to see if you should pull fewer mobs.

I totally space out as a healer too, but the takeaway is that it's perfectly fine to let a tank get that low because you can recover from it. It's fine.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 10, 2022

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Oxyclean posted:

I feel like a healer letting me get real low would make my job much more stressful as a tank - I usually only pop one mitigation at a time, but pop more as things look dicey, or overlap for particular pulls, etc.

Mitigation is for stopping your HP from going down, not to keep you alive after it's plunged. The big mitigation should be at the start of the big pulls when the biggest damage is coming in (exception: WHM is spamming holy and stunned everything for 8 seconds, don't bother using cooldowns until that's done), if you're waiting to pop more mitigation when things look dicey you're already half-way screwed.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Arist posted:

For the record, I absolutely understand how scary it can be if you're tanking correctly, using mitigations and the like, and the healer is still letting you get dangerously low, but if you didn't die that just means the healer knows what they're doing, and also that they trust you to do your job well too.

My problem with healers playing chicken is I don't trust them because I've been burned before.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oxyclean posted:

Correct, but unfortunately healers didn't get this memo and waste GCDs healing you up because they assume you're bad if you do this

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I had a Gunbreaker die wallpulling while healing in an Expert run the other day because they would not use: Superbolide, Arm's Length, Aurora, Nebula, Rampart (before 2/3 of a pull was already dead, at least), or even Reprisal, and I was a bit slow on the draw of swapping to spamming GCD cures since I was out of everything else.
They did use Camouflage and Heart of Corundum frequently, though.
On dying they typed in chat: "Sorry I was out of defensive cooldowns"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

coolusername posted:

If I hit a single heal on a WAR in experts I wonder where my life has gone wrong.

This^

Paladins shouldn't need healing in an exdr, either, and they should never use clemency (except to keep dps alive if a healer dies).

When I was running PLD, I would always start my pulls (except with WHM along) with my magic rotation and treat the holy circle heals like I use bloodwhetting on warrior. Afterwards I'd roll into physical aoe and then start using cooldowns. First would be hallowed because that's just another 10 seconds of zero damage. After that, holy shelltron regen should keep PLD up with basically no heals from the healer before you're magic spam and able to top off.

If you ever feel like you need to cast clemency on yourself, hardcast holy spirit/circle instead as you'll still get a heal and keep doing damage. Spamming holy circle in aoe situations is only a 5 potency loss over your physical combo, and can be more than enough healing to keep you alive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

This is precisely why savage raids put a damage down debuff on mechanics so it's never* a damage gain for DPS to ignore those mechanics

* - I bet there's some obscure strat out there somewhere so I feel like I have to caveat this

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

eh, honestly there's no reason 99% of the time in dungeons as a healer to let your tank get super low till near the end of the pull, unless you really need to maximize a benediction or something (it's a dungeon, so: you don't need to). heck, sages outright shouldn't let people drop like that, since their ogcd healing also carries mitigation and is therefore better used earlier.

I have found this especially true in roulette, where the potential time loss from a gunshy tank drastically slowing down because they're scared of a possible death is way more than the loss from one gcd of damage (when it's my friend tanking, I'll just let em drop as low as possible who gives a poo poo). not that wiping is the end of the world nor is healer dps bad, just that if your goal is to min/max time spent in the dungeon, correctly managing your random tank and getting them to do big pulls confidently is much more important than maximizing your DPS.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Harrow posted:

This is precisely why savage raids put a damage down debuff on mechanics so it's never* a damage gain for DPS to ignore those mechanics

* - I bet there's some obscure strat out there somewhere so I feel like I have to caveat this
In E10S if you put up enough mitigation+shields you could take 0 damage from the attack where the shadows jump around the arena, which lets melee+tanks keep full uptime instead of running to the safe edge of the arena

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Valentin posted:

eh, honestly there's no reason 99% of the time in dungeons as a healer to let your tank get super low till near the end of the pull, unless you really need to maximize a benediction or something (it's a dungeon, so: you don't need to). heck, sages outright shouldn't let people drop like that, since their ogcd healing also carries mitigation and is therefore better used earlier.

I have found this especially true in roulette, where the potential time loss from a gunshy tank drastically slowing down because they're scared of a possible death is way more than the loss from one gcd of damage (when it's my friend tanking, I'll just let em drop as low as possible who gives a poo poo). not that wiping is the end of the world nor is healer dps bad, just that if your goal is to min/max time spent in the dungeon, correctly managing your random tank and getting them to do big pulls confidently is much more important than maximizing your DPS.
Yeah, kind of feel like healers aren't doing themselves a lot of favors if they're sitting on oGCDs in general. Only time a tank should really go low is if you'd need to cast gcd heals. Its just like tank CDs, the sooner you use something like tetra or asssize, the sooner you can use it again.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Harrow posted:

If you can shield and mitigate enough to take 0 damage a bunch of these won’t apply their damage down, which was relevant in e10s later on, there was an uptime strat during the 4 dog cup game + orbs that involved kitchen sinking it to take 0 damage so that eveyone could just stand and hit the boss

There was a lighter version involving tank invulns in e9s to let tanks still hit cloud of darkness during one of the patterns when she goes to the side and does 3 things

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I definitely stand in aoes in some dungeons when I can count on my healer to keep dosing and ignore my 50% health bar

the amount of times i stand in an aoe, pop bloodbath, and then i get tossed a gcd heal

:negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, kind of feel like healers aren't doing themselves a lot of favors if they're sitting on oGCDs in general. Only time a tank should really go low is if you'd need to cast gcd heals. Its just like tank CDs, the sooner you use something like tetra or asssize, the sooner you can use it again.
Assize is a dps cooldown and MP refresh, the healing is incidental. Also, the sooner a WHM gets to use Benediction the sooner it can be used again - it can be cast 3 times in a 10 minute run!

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Oxyclean posted:

You're right about sitting on oGCDS. That's why if you're an AST, you are ideally letting the tank get low as early as possible so you can get your essential dignity CD rolling as soon as you can without sacrificing its potency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Hogama posted:

I had a Gunbreaker die wallpulling while healing in an Expert run the other day because they would not use: Superbolide, Arm's Length, Aurora, Nebula, Rampart (before 2/3 of a pull was already dead, at least), or even Reprisal, and I was a bit slow on the draw of swapping to spamming GCD cures since I was out of everything else.
They did use Camouflage and Heart of Corundum frequently, though.
On dying they typed in chat: "Sorry I was out of defensive cooldowns"

Almost as embarrassing as me not knowing No Mercy existed until 85