Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Xguard86 posted:

Onedrive or SharePoint? Onedrive is pretty comparable but "wow" if it's classic SharePoint

How can I tell? I figure it's classic SharePoint because it's a URL at sharepoint.com, but that doesn't mean Microsoft can't do stupid poo poo with domains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Classic SharePoint. Onedrive's URL is onedrive something something.

We migrated to MS and it's interesting because SharePoint underpins some poo poo like teams but we also have onedrive. It's not a terrible UX but sometimes stuff gets weird because they behavior differently.

Also fun to spot the seams by watching the urls.

Def sucks going to just SharePoint though. It def feels worse than g drive or even onedrive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

“We have a share point server we want you to integrate to” has a 1to1 connection with me not bidding for that contract.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Well you know what, I just opened our onedrive and it's a SharePoint URL so maybe it is more a rebrand? Idk there's def two different interfaces in here and I've seen different URL structures...

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

“Sorry, I don’t remember” is my answer to any questions from my old job.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Respond with your hourly rate for short term engagements.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol at telling your former boss anything other than “My consulting fee is ($new_salary_per_hour * 3) * 8 hours minimum. “

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Lol at telling your former boss anything other than “My consulting fee is ($new_salary_per_hour * 3) * 8 hours minimum. “

If you really don't want to do it, quote a weekly rate, two weeks minimum.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mega Comrade posted:

Asking someone to find something on sharepoint is just cruel.

Hmmmm yeah check Confluence instead. Wait, maybe the Github wiki?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm doing some freelance work for a former boss right now. It's good to keep those relationships going if you like the people. Especially if you're like me and have a consumer electronics habit you need to pay for.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

cum jabbar posted:

Hmmmm yeah check Confluence instead. Wait, maybe the Github wiki?

Some people say hell is customised to each person. For me it's gonna be trying to find docs.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

prom candy posted:

I'm doing some freelance work for a former boss right now. It's good to keep those relationships going if you like the people. Especially if you're like me and have a consumer electronics habit you need to pay for.

That's a big if :v:

I quoted $300 per hour, 8 hours minimum billable to $shitjob as a joke the other day, if they take me up on it I'll correct it to $500 per hour, same minimum. gently caress those people. That said, they also completely bungled the communication setup on a large infrastructure project after I left, so... :sun:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Wibla posted:

That's a big if :v:

Haha yeah, I'm still friends with a bunch of people from that job and would happily work with most of them again. Plus I like money.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Explaining to a developer that's been here for 2 years now how inner joins and outer joins work and coming to the realization that he thought sql was like a thing we invented for our project.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Like the guy who thought it was being asked to write a regex evaluator in JS this morning. Sent him a link to the Mozilla docs for the one that is you know provided and he just needs to call.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

Like the guy who thought it was being asked to write a regex evaluator in JS this morning. Sent him a link to the Mozilla docs for the one that is you know provided and he just needs to call.

Basically the opposite of the countless devs I've met that refuse to use regex and turn every string pattern matching or parsing function into a leetcode problem.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

They can try that but I will reject the PR and put a link to the docs in the comments.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

wilderthanmild posted:

Basically the opposite of the countless devs I've met that refuse to use regex and turn every string pattern matching or parsing function into a leetcode problem.

Why not just write your own regex library ... in Python?

Edit: gently caress I have to qualify this due to my free-time shenanigans but somebody in our organization actually did that for work stuff for some stupid reason.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Rubellavator posted:

Explaining to a developer that's been here for 2 years now how inner joins and outer joins work and coming to the realization that he thought sql was like a thing we invented for our project.

We had a request returning 300kb data take over 30 seconds. Turns out the person who has over 12 years of programming experience looped through the sql result and did a query for each result, and then another query for each of those results, in total 4 levels of nested queries. How does this even happen? Why isn't there anyone in the project that has enough knowledge to understand this horror and also enough power to do something about it.

I guess it's the same kind of structure which leads to sending 30mb of data to the frontend and doing all filtering/pagination there.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think
“I know, I'll use regular expressions.” Now they have two problems.

"I know, I'll write my own regular expressions parser!" Now they have three problems.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Sistergodiva posted:

We had a request returning 300kb data take over 30 seconds. Turns out the person who has over 12 years of programming experience looped through the sql result and did a query for each result, and then another query for each of those results, in total 4 levels of nested queries. How does this even happen? Why isn't there anyone in the project that has enough knowledge to understand this horror and also enough power to do something about it.

I guess it's the same kind of structure which leads to sending 30mb of data to the frontend and doing all filtering/pagination there.

I ran into a table with a column that contains string converted comma separated id's referencing rows in that table the other day. It's in a particularly troubling domain area, so changing it would be a Project, so I just made a note if we ever run into perf issues.

The unfortunate truth is that quality in schema design isn't usually revenue impacting. If and when it is, you hire a consultant to fix it.

Most developers don't understand databases in any way.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Turambar posted:

"I know, I'll write my own regular expressions parser!" Now they have an unbounded number of problems.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Why is defining a new HTTP endpoint in AWS such a freaking headache? I have to update 2 different 4000+ line json files across 2 different repositories, and when the stack fails to deploy the error message is obscure as hell.

I suck at cloud and web poo poo, but I remember this being a literal non-issue in Azure, where I could just drop an attribute on a function with the path and the HTTP method.

Maybe I should just get away from web dev altogether, having to mess around with giant config files to get the most basic poo poo done is starting to get really old.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm increasingly convinced that the culture of microservices has given the entire industry brain worms. Everyone seems to have forgotten that poo poo doesn't need to be complicated.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

AWS interface is dogshit so they push you into making huge dumb config files. That and people always want to use a sledge hammer for every problem because it is the latest hyped up thing. No I don’t need a REST API when I am just doing gets to a specific path for each function as the path itself supplies to the lambda function what I need.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

I thought people hated splitting things. Which is why all the popular editors have minimaps.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Sistergodiva posted:

I thought people hated splitting things. Which is why all the popular editors have minimaps.

Minimap is always the first feature I turn off when I start with a new editor.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

prom candy posted:

Minimap is always the first feature I turn off when I start with a new editor.

:same:

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I have never understood what the point of a minimap is supposed to be.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can navigate immediately to the part of the code that's probably causing your bug, just by looking for the flying V.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Are you folks using IDEs that don't highlight linting/type errors and changed lines in the minimap or something? It's a great way to jump straight to issues or just find what you've been working on in any file of (perhaps excessive) length.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I'm not looking at my IDE right now, but I feel like it highlights all the same information in the scrollbar, which is also what my last IDE did without a minimap.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I don't really look at the minimap but it does function as a nice wider scrollbar that you can click + drag to scroll through much more easily than a thin one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jetbrain IDEs all have l’intera built in and all of them have plugins for style linting. There’s no excuse.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

[uncle bob voice] a great source code file is a lot like a page in a book of great poetry, where the lines flowing in and out across the minimap echo the visual arrangement of the verse

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Truman Peyote posted:

[uncle bob voice]

ew

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

The problem is that Endpoints.java is 4000 lines because you didn't divide it into different areas. Also you write all the logic and database calls in there. Also you just pasted your horribly insecure homemade SQL injection validation into each endpoint definition, because apparently during 7 years of working you haven't learned anything.

:byodood:

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Pet peeve of the day: when (non-junior) people get all shy about marking their PRs as ready for review and will only submit as draft. They don’t have any questions to resolve or anything, they just don’t want to take the plunge. As if I’m going to review it like “well this would blow if it was a real PR, but as a draft it’s great! Approved!”

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
If it's not marked as 'ready for review' don't review it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

there’s also the other fun world where devs will open a PR and put “don’t review not ready yet” in the description