Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The cast of Brooklyn 99 but it’s Star Trek. gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Haha Gina as Garak.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

a sexual elk posted:

Haha Gina as Garak.

Nah, Jake would be Garak.

Boyle is, obviously, Bashir.

Rosa is Kira.

Terry is Worf or Gowron.

Amy is Jadzia

And of course Holt is Sisko.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Stephen Tobolowsky as Sarek

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah, Jake would be Garak.

Boyle is, obviously, Bashir.

Rosa is Kira.

Terry is Worf or Gowron.

Amy is Jadzia

And of course Holt is Sisko.

Gina is Quark

Hitchcock and Scully are somehow both Rom

Doug Judy is Garak

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Yeah, Jake is totally Bashir to Doug Judy's Garak.

I'd put Charles as a candidate for Rom.

Wunch is Admiral Nacheyev. Or maybe just Dukat.

Hitchcock and Scully are those two Cardassians always watching the big TV.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

SInce we're talking B99, I just want to say that I think it's a shame that they didn't have a Boyle'd goose gag.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, Jake is totally Bashir to Doug Judy's Garak.

I'd put Charles as a candidate for Rom.

Wunch is Admiral Nacheyev. Or maybe just Dukat.

Hitchcock and Scully are those two Cardassians always watching the big TV.

Wunch is Kai Winn.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Sedgr posted:

Wunch is Kai Winn.

Oh yeah, duh

The Vulture is Gul Dukat

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 9, 2022

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
The first time Wunch showed up on B99 I had to check to see if she was the same actress as Nechayev. Nope, but they do look kind of similar

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Season 4 complete. Now we move onto Season 5, with a whole new Odo!

Almost same as the old Odo.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Kevin is Odo. But the real question is who does Cheddar play? Weyoun

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I watched the Red Letter Media review of Star Trek: Picard a while ago and one of the things that baffled them was the invented implied strong personal relationship between Picard and Data. I think they might have even alluded to the posibility that it was an attempt to portray a Kirk/Spock dynamic.

But it's clear from reading about TNG that creating a Kirk/Spock dynamic around Data is an idea that goes way back, possibly to 1986, except it was Riker who was supposed to be Data's old friend. So the Picard writers was just picking up and running with an old, long discarded idea.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I'm almost finished with my DS9 rewatch, and my main takeaway is that Kai Wynn is the Peggy Hill of the alpha quadrant

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's not fair. Peggy might be horrible but she still had her moments of being awesome like when she tanked a kick to the crotch and when she got Cotton to die out of sheer spite and hatred.

More than I can say for the Kai.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Yeah, in the rear end in a top hat competition, Kai wins

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
My child, in my opinion, Thanksgiving is the busiest travel day of the year

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

My child, in my opinion, The Gratitude Festival is the busiest travel day of the year

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

I watched the Red Letter Media review of Star Trek: Picard a while ago and one of the things that baffled them was the invented implied strong personal relationship between Picard and Data. I think they might have even alluded to the posibility that it was an attempt to portray a Kirk/Spock dynamic.

But it's clear from reading about TNG that creating a Kirk/Spock dynamic around Data is an idea that goes way back, possibly to 1986, except it was Riker who was supposed to be Data's old friend. So the Picard writers was just picking up and running with an old, long discarded idea.

Jean-Luc having love for Data is one of the least objectionable things about Star Trek: Picard to me.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Yeah, in the rear end in a top hat competition, Kai wins

I'm trying to think of a more entertaining one in any Trek show and honestly not sure there is one.

The Combs Weyoun(s) maybe. Far more sniveling type rear end in a top hat but still obviously brilliant. Dukat obviously has some great pompousness.

Q's great in TNG. Not an antagonist, but definitely an entertaining gives no fucks -or pretends to at least- rear end in a top hat.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hellblazer187 posted:

Jean-Luc having love for Data is one of the least objectionable things about Star Trek: Picard to me.

Except that in TNG Picard basically hated or ignored Data.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love when Weyoun specifically comes to visit Kai Wynn and tries to make inroads with the Bajorans but even Kai Wynn is too much of an icy Karen to put up with Weyoun. Dude was out of his league picking that match-up.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

Except that in TNG Picard basically hated or ignored Data.

He went to his recital, and felt really bad when he had to leave early due to an emergency! He also was his lawyer to prove he was a person!

Picard being a bit aloof was like one of his main character traits, but he did always seem to help him out and listen to what he had to say.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

dr_rat posted:

He went to his recital, and felt really bad when he had to leave early due to an emergency! He also was his lawyer to prove he was a person!

Picard being a bit aloof was like one of his main character traits, but he did always seem to help him out and listen to what he had to say.

this is all his job. in a society where you dont have to have a job if you dont want to.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Picard cared for Data in that he was a valued member of his senior crew and would on occasion hang with him as a friendly acquaintance. He was never like an outside of work functions friend with data and certainly not one to hold a torch in his heart for him for decades

The nutrek writers just mistook the two characters popularity as “oh they must be besties”

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, he's old and alone and could easily exaggerate how close they were in his head gradually over time. plus, he had data's disassembled corpse in his garage so that was always on his mind.

lol, jk. the writing of that show doesn't have any nuance at all. it says they were best buds so that's supposed to be retroactively true now.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Gutcruncher posted:

Picard cared for Data in that he was a valued member of his senior crew and would on occasion hang with him as a friendly acquaintance. He was never like an outside of work functions friend with data and certainly not one to hold a torch in his heart for him for decades

The nutrek writers just mistook the two characters popularity as “oh they must be besties”

Didn't they play in the holodeck all the time together off work hours?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Burning_Monk posted:

Didn't they play in the holodeck all the time together off work hours?

Exhibit A: Picard and Data on another one of their holodeck adventures.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

Exhibit A: Picard and Data on another one of their holodeck adventures.

Meanwhile...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

He also tried to get Data to destroy his progeny and would have stood by and done nothing if he lost the trial vs madox. If Starfleet wanted to take Riker apart to see how his beard was so awesome, Picard would have lead a commando strike team against whatever Admiral was pulling the strings.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

If Starfleet wanted to take Riker apart to see how his beard was so awesome, Picard would have lead a commando strike team against whatever Admiral was pulling the strings.

I dunno. TV series Picard was a massive stickler for the rules. He'd debate them, but if starfleet said Riker's beard must be torn asunder and examined for the secrete of it's cool, then pretty sure he would of allowed it, even if he would later spend hours spilling our tears into the largest cup of earl grey that his replicator would allow.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Picard and Data are best buds in the TNG movies, specifically 8 and 9. The movies are the only thing the STP writers have seen.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Have you guys watched the show? Picard and Data were friends, they would even act out Shakespeare together.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i also came in here to yell but pretend i said this:

Burning_Monk posted:

Have you guys watched the show? Picard and Data were friends, they would even act out Shakespeare together.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

its also evident at nearly every occasion it comes up that picard seems to have 'secretly' hand-picked pretty much his entire crew

so he either picked data to finally have a stodgy stuck-up friend of his own, or he picked him for the lols

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Data is dope as gently caress and I'd literally fight any other captain to get him on board

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Endless Trash posted:

Picard and Data are best buds in the TNG movies, specifically 8 and 9. The movies are the only thing the STP writers have seen.

yeah they're really drawing from the movies mostly with the picard show and in fact i think i even read somewhere that they really did only watch the movies for background

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GolfHole posted:

its also evident at nearly every occasion it comes up that picard seems to have 'secretly' hand-picked pretty much his entire crew

so he either picked data to finally have a stodgy stuck-up friend of his own, or he picked him for the lols

He picked him so he could have a more mobile computer to do info dumps for him. Data is a wonderful office, probably the best Starfleet had at the time. But he doesn't have to LIKE him to use him.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Burning_Monk posted:

Are you talking about that weird time they had Patrick Stewart - pointedly not Picard, Patrick Stewart playing a holodeck character - doing Shakespeare with Data and then Picard walks in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
picard dragged anyone he could into those godawful dixon hill stories. no one ever did it twice. but really, picard being really into a particular garbage fiction and inflicting it on others was very humanizing.