Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

gently caress me that's efficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

40 minutes of Silksong coming up

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yoooo they finally announced Silksong!

It had some a bunch of anime people with British accents in it and no Hornet but I'm pretty sure it was Silksong.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MJeff posted:

Yoooo they finally announced Silksong!

It had some a bunch of anime people with British accents in it and no Hornet but I'm pretty sure it was Silksong.

Also a mysterious lack of bugs.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Every time something like this pops up I get annoyed that the McFarlane Toys figurines never materialized.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why would you need a Macfarlane level action figure for a character that is essentially already just a Funko Pop? There’s nothing to over articulate.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Because Macfarlane Toys announced that they were doing a line at one point, so that’s why I mentioned them?

I don’t care so much who would have made them, I just wanted professionally-produced action figures of the major characters.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Why would you need a Macfarlane level action figure for a character that is essentially already just a Funko Pop? There’s nothing to over articulate.

Funko Pop can’t pogo hop.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

What about a void shade piggy bank. Strike it to get your geo back forever.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Even more fuckin vapourware!!! TEAM CHERRRRRYYYY :argh:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
HK was announced in late 2014 and came out about 2.5 years later.
Shitshoe was announced 2/14/2019 and will never come out.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I'm looking at the various Making-of-Hollow-Knight vids out there.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Making+of+hollow+knight

and it's like... same team, same codebase, same tools, already created several expansions so the workflow is repeatable

So, I'm very interested in a postmortem when this comes out.
Infighting? Creative burnout? Did they all come down with Rona? Did one of them say, "Hornet-chan needs a boyfriend! Scrap the plot."

Then again... HK's lore is something that was hammered together out of various parts, along with several characters that never went anywhere.

If it's a problem of scope creep, HK already had several expansions, it's not like that's not expected.

Waltzing Along posted:

Shitshoe was announced 2/14/2019 and will never come out.
The Treehouse gameplay from 2019 is such a TEASE - it's like "Yes this is the game! It's HK with new character, areas, and a boss. Exactly what you'd expect this team to produce. They're well on their way to shipping in late 2020 ... 2021 at the latest."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8lvHT_IQbM

This is not the 2001 Duke Nukem trailer where it's all hogwash on rails, scrapped a year later - Team Cherry handed a game to a presenter at Nintendo and had her play through a boss live on stream after some practice.

e: lol, not like I'm going to be able to play through this. Only way I played 70% of original HK's main line was because my rear end was unemployed and this was my "Chill out between interviews game"

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 10, 2022

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They made massive personal bets on the first game, it turned out to be an insane critical and financial success, and they don't have any bosses to answer to. They've earned a more leisurely cycle on this one

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Shortly after the treehouse presentation in 2019, Team Cherry's dog ate the harddrive with all their work on it, forcing them to start from scratch.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Deckit posted:

What about a void shade piggy bank. Strike it to get your geo back forever.

Wouldn't a Millibelle one be more apt?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
There is a worldwide pandemic. Also, they’re making merch money now so it’s not life or death to get it out immediately.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm going to assume that if video games developers with hundred if not thousands of people working on a given project have had to delay their stuff over the past two years, then this team of three or four "full-time" people (plus whatever support they have) are also having to push their release back.

I want Silksong to come out too, but making video games is hard!

Alitur
Jan 10, 2019
They literally said in an interview that the reason Hollow Knight came out was because they ran out of money to add features. So yeah, Silksong will probably take a bit more time until they run out of budget or ideas.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wasn't there some story about some famous artist who worked on a painting for literal decades until he died, and he said it still wasn't finished?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think it's reasonable to be at least a little concerned at this point. Following up a big presentation featuring what looks like fairly finished gameplay with three years of radio silence is generally a bad sign in game development. Yes, covid, yes, they are morally within their rights to take a decade off in the Bahamas and finish up silksong in 2030, etc, etc, nobody is mad at Team Cherry. But, I mean - would they have a big presentation at Treehouse (where they say it's "coming soon!") if they knew the game was four years out?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Snake Maze posted:

I think it's reasonable to be at least a little concerned at this point. Following up a big presentation featuring what looks like fairly finished gameplay with three years of radio silence is generally a bad sign in game development. Yes, covid, yes, they are morally within their rights to take a decade off in the Bahamas and finish up silksong in 2030, etc, etc, nobody is mad at Team Cherry. But, I mean - would they have a big presentation at Treehouse (where they say it's "coming soon!") if they knew the game was four years out?

At least partially because Silksong was promised to Kickstarter backers, and they'd otherwise just be fielding non-stop questions about when something was going to be announced

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let them loving make the game you goons

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kkbPG7n9pA

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There was a literal loving pandemic. Anything said before 'Rona did not have to take that into account.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't think anybody who is reasonable is complaining about how long it's taking. It's the lack of info that is upsetting people. If they just said something like "look, guys, we've implemented 4-hour working days and 3 working days a week because that's what we believe is a reasonable work-life balance and we expect at the current pace to be done by mid-2024" then I and everyone else would be like "ok cool, yeah we agree that work shouldn't take up so much of anyones life - godspeed and see you in 2024!"

It's not how long it's taking that is upsetting people. It's the total lack of communication so that we can set our expectations. And by saying that I'm not trying to imply that we deserve our precious expectations to be settable, just that it's a common courtesy that developers who have a loving and devoted fanbase communicate about the progress of the thing that the fanbase is eagerly waiting to buy from said developers. And Team Cherry have seemingly turned their back on that common courtesy with their radio silence and that kind of rankles a bit, is all we're saying. Is that so unreasonable a feeling to have?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
This is our concern, dude. They've been eaten alive by scope creep, or scrapped work due to creative change, or lost motivation, or...
in any case, all the Team Cherry twitter account has done in the last two years is retweet Fangamer merch announcements.

After three years you start to wonder if there's any There there.

"Sorry, we are in no position to finish this anymore... here's a 25% finished game for free on PC make of it what you will - lots of areas are grey boxes and you'll be fighting monsters made out of pencil sketches. Peace out!

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
Personally, I'm hoping to just wake up one of these days to discover it's finally here -- no build up.

Tomorrow could be the day!

Or maybe not...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing about being a game dev or a composer or an animator is that none of those things is a social media manager and shouldn’t have to be, so I respect their decision to just hunker down, and their decision to not hire someone to do it for them while retweeting cosplay and tattoos and fan films for 3 years to keep the hype train rolling. Video games don’t always have craft, hollow knight was dripping with craft, so I treat Team Cherry with kid gloves and will happily wait in silence until I die, never knowing if this game was real

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The great thing about being a backer of Heart Forth Alicia is that I will never be bothered by a late-running development ever again.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Fedule posted:

The great thing about being a backer of Heart Forth Alicia is that I will never be bothered by a late-running development ever again.

I mean, at least that game has semi-regular progress updates.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think they will probably release the game when it is finished.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I would also like a status update, even if it's just something as simple as "everything's going well" or "everything's not going so well". As an anxious person, being able to plan for things like release dates of games really helps me keep my life on track a bit more.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

The thing about being a game dev or a composer or an animator is that none of those things is a social media manager and shouldn’t have to be

You don’t need to be social media manager to post a quick tweet that says:

“Thank you for your patience everyone. We want to make Silksong the best game possible and we still have a lot we want to do!”

I respect Team Cherry and as far as I’m concerned they have a free pass to do whatever the hell they want to do, but it sure would be nice to just get a simple “yep still working on it” message.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Alxprit posted:

I would also like a status update, even if it's just something as simple as "everything's going well" or "everything's not going so well". As an anxious person, being able to plan for things like release dates of games really helps me keep my life on track a bit more.

You should just keep track of other games then.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Coffee Jones posted:

and it's like... same team, same codebase, same tools, already created several expansions so the workflow is repeatable

At the very least as someone who's been starting at the same jenga tower of code for slightly longer than Silksong has been announced, I would be very forgiving of any dev would would start over on the next project. Sometimes you just want to grab yourself from 4 years ago and beat the poo poo outta them.

As for Soulksong itself, it's been long enough that I've just replayed Hollowknight itself with some less than fresh memories, it's still good, I can wait. There's a pretty good Record of Lodos War vania that came out last summer that I'd reccomend. I'm thinking of playing Dusk or Ori next and get a streak of over animated non human metroidvanias going.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Maybe I'll devote a few neurons to worrying about Silksong once I've burnt out of Elden Ring and Horizon Forbidden West.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
The Promise Has Been Made.

Team Cherry is just helping out with Barkley 2, out next year!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

They also seemingly had to redo a lot of the level work they already put in cause Hornet's bigger and moves differently. Sounds like they had to rebuild a lot

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Martman posted:

I think they will probably release the game when it is finished.

please refrain from speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

midwifecrisis posted:

They also seemingly had to redo a lot of the level work they already put in cause Hornet's bigger and moves differently. Sounds like they had to rebuild a lot

Hornet looks really weird now, she's got like this crow mask on and a gun, but hey I dig it!