Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oxyclean posted:

Generally, I'm very prone to panic if things look bad. Because regardless if the healer does a bad job, if I die as a tank, it still ends up feeling like "could I have done something to not die?"

This is where my anxiety comes from. I'm generally over it as a tank (though my ability to assess where the problem was is still nonexistent) but it's paralyzing to try and heal. In contrast, dps has their job to do but actually knowing the "what I can do to not die" part is much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah despite what i said last page if i'm healing i get panicked real fast and overkill on watching the tank

mostly probably because its my least practiced role, but nevertheless

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

sometimes it's even okay to die

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

avoiding dying in dungeons imo is only a big deal because other people are annoying. In general the time loss from a wipe, especially in modern (starts in SB but most true ShB and on) dungeons, is near negligible. the time loss to other people getting pissy in chat or single pulling or turning into honest healers, however, can be massive.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

There’s that, but also for me I’d like to think that tanking in dungeons is prepping me to tank harder content like raids someday. So if I die in expert dungeons, that must mean I’m still not “good enough” to rank raids

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Tanking in dungeons isn’t really comparable to tanking in raids, the only thing that I feel like they share is that you have a cd rotation that probably won’t change that much in a run

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Maybe it's just me playing SCH too much, but it's not even a huge loss in DPS to heal the tank before they reach critical HP, just toss an oGCD heal their way and keep spamming your DPS tools.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zokari posted:

Jesus, I'm not really that mad. So many healers trying to min/max some very easy dungeons ITT

It's more fun to dps and use big heal ogcds on a tank then just trying to keep them topped off constantly. It's not minmaxing it's just doing the more enjoyable thing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's more fun to dps and use big heal ogcds on a tank then just trying to keep them topped off constantly. It's not minmaxing it's just doing the more enjoyable thing.

There's a middle ground between topping off the tank and letting them drop to 5% HP before healing.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

There's a middle ground between topping off the tank and letting them drop to 5% HP before healing.

Is there?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dryzen posted:

Is there?

Yes, there is.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

you gonna explain it…? do you know how discussions work??

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dryzen posted:

Is there?
There is if your tank isn't undergeared or a dps.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

If they didn't die there literally isnt

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

When I'm healing (which is most the time), the actual HP of the tank is less important than the rate that it's falling. A tank at 25% HP that took nearly the entire pull to get there is in a much safer position than the tank whose HP seems to be in perpetual freefall, despite being higher at the moment.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dryzen posted:

you gonna explain it…? do you know how discussions work??

You can use one of your many oGCDs to heal them when they get a bit under half, or if you're trying to max out your skills, when they hit 25%.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

look my tank paid good money for the bottom 5% of their hp bar and I'm not gonna let it go to waste :rant:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If you didn’t die where is the middle ground here that changes anything about the run? If your own reaction to getting low on health caused something to go wrong that’s your own fault, not the healers. Why is the immediate assumption that getting low on HP is immediately the healer’s fault and not anywhere on the tank too for their use of CDs? Regardless, so many people are on some kind of auto pilot when they’re doing dungeons hundreds of times a patch, so if your HP drops lower than normal and they had to press an extra healing button and you didn’t die then I don’t understand why that’s a big deal

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You either live through the pull and kill it or you don't. The only hp that matters is the absolute last one.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

You either live through the pull and kill it or you don't. The only hp that matters is the absolute last one.
Sounds like an invitation for tanks and dps not to use mitigation so long as a healer can keep them alive.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dryzen posted:

If you didn’t die where is the middle ground here that changes anything about the run? If your own reaction to getting low on health caused something to go wrong that’s your own fault, not the healers. Why is the immediate assumption that getting low on HP is immediately the healer’s fault and not anywhere on the tank too for their use of CDs? Regardless, so many people are on some kind of auto pilot when they’re doing dungeons hundreds of times a patch, so if your HP drops lower than normal and they had to press an extra healing button and you didn’t die then I don’t understand why that’s a big deal

Because it's zero effort and a near nonexistent DPS loss to keep the tank out of critical HP zones? There's no benefit to playing chicken with the tank's HP bar.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's also no benefit to not doing it so idk why you care so much

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

PLEASE read the posts instead of getting immediately incredulous people have given reasons why this could be happening

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Sounds like an invitation for tanks and dps not to use mitigation so long as a healer can keep them alive.

I mean most bad pubbies already do that so??? I don't get your point.

I mean the tanks that do use them just means you can help with dps more. I dunno what's so shocking about this lol.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Because it's zero effort and a near nonexistent DPS loss to keep the tank out of critical HP zones? There's no benefit to playing chicken with the tank's HP bar.

More dps uptime us a benefit. Especially if you've got other poo poo to ogcd weave like say ast does.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If the response to disagreeing about this is just “it’s bad hmph” then I’ll just go ahead and say what I think the actual issue is here, which is apparently letting your tank get low on HP hurts their feelings and that’s just not OK.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

disagree.

However, I do invite tanks and dps to not use mitigation while holy stun is happening, because stun is already a 100% mitigation. Also when benediction is available, or both essential dignities are available, because getting these cooldowns rolling asap is cool and good and making it happen is fun.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 10, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dryzen posted:

Is there?

Yes? If your tank is undergeared or just not great it is the difference between a wipe and not.
And yes if the party wipes because you were not healing that is on you and means you are being a bad healer.

These discussions always assume optimal play and not every player is optimal.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes? If your tank is undergeared or just not great it is the difference between a wipe and not.
And yes if the party wipes because you were not healing that is on you and means you are being a bad healer.

I think you misunderstand, the situation here isn’t that a group is wiping because the healer isn’t pressing their buttons, it’s that the tank HP gets low before the healer presses their buttons. The leap of logic people are making here is that the tank HP surely must be getting low because the healer is never pressing their buttons.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dryzen posted:

PLEASE read the posts instead of getting immediately incredulous people have given reasons why this could be happening
Fuckin' same back!

A dude was like "it's stressful when healers are letting me get to critical hp" and everyone is like "pfft, what, do you expect people to keep you constantly topped off! do you want HONEST healers??"

To which a few of us are pointing out that there's not a lot of situations where healers should need to let a tank get to critical HP because you have oGCDs and cooldowns that you can use without overhealing before that point. We get there's a few heals that are optimal at low HP, but that's not the majority of situations.

I mean most bad pubbies already do that so??? I don't get your point.

I mean the tanks that do use them just means you can help with dps more. I dunno what's so shocking about this lol.
If it's reasonable to expect tanks/dps to use mitigation smartly that makes it easier for the healer, it feels reasonable to expect the same back. Having a healer who acts predictably and/or consistently makes life easier for the tank and/or dps to manage their own mitigation and survival skills.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

If anyone wants to get mad about the healer that only ever presses benediction and outside of that just lets the tank deal with their own HP pool go for it, but people are very clearly getting mad at the idea of a healer not pressing their buttons immediately every single chance they get, which isn’t a crime if they are actually healing the tank IMO.

Oxyclean posted:

Fuckin' same back!

A dude was like "it's stressful when healers are letting me get to critical hp" and everyone is like "pfft, what, do you expect people to keep you constantly topped off! do you want HONEST healers??"

To which a few of us are pointing out that there's not a lot of situations where healers should need to let a tank get to critical HP because you have oGCDs and cooldowns that you can use without overhealing before that point. We get there's a few heals that are optimal at low HP, but that's not the majority of situations.

If it's reasonable to expect tanks/dps to use mitigation smartly that makes it easier for the healer, it feels reasonable to expect the same back. Having a healer who acts predictably and/or consistently makes life easier for the tank and/or dps to manage their own mitigation and survival skills.

I think you misunderstand some of the reasons people have given for why the tank HP could be getting low. I’m personally not saying that every healer is playing perfectly ideal by doing this, I’m saying that there’s more factors to just the healer not pressing their buttons optimally that can make the tank HP go so low in these situations. Especially in the expert dungeons we have right now, bad DPS is probably what makes tank HP drop so low if nobody is dying, cause I don’t see how that means the healer or tank aren’t trying to stay alive.

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 10, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if i'm tanking as a warrior i play like i don't have a healer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ziddar posted:

When I'm healing (which is most the time), the actual HP of the tank is less important than the rate that it's falling. A tank at 25% HP that took nearly the entire pull to get there is in a much safer position than the tank whose HP seems to be in perpetual freefall, despite being higher at the moment.

now i want a bar for the tank's health-derivative over the last x seconds lol

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kerrzhe posted:

if i'm tanking as a warrior i play like i don't have a healer

The annoying thing about this is that the optimal time to press bloodletting is when you're about a gcd from dying, but healers never let you get to that point

Warrior would be easier to play optimally if more healers played health bar chicken

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

if you never let your war, gnb, or drk go low then you're preventing your tank from utilizing one of their most powerful cds, and that's not very poggers

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ciaphas posted:

I would not mind this

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Dryzen posted:

If anyone wants to get mad about the healer that only ever presses benediction and outside of that just lets the tank deal with their own HP pool go for it, but people are very clearly getting mad at the idea of a healer not pressing their buttons immediately every single chance they get, which isn’t a crime if they are actually healing the tank IMO.

I think you misunderstand some of the reasons people have given for why the tank HP could be getting low, I’m personally not saying that every healer is playing perfectly ideal by doing this, I’m saying that there’s more factors to just the healer not pressing their buttons optimally that can make the tank HP go so low in these situations. Especially in the expert dungeons we have right now, bad DPS is probably what makes tank HP drop so low if nobody is dying, cause I don’t see how that means the healer or tank aren’t trying to stay alive.

OK but what if I invent a scenario where I'm right anyway

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

we're already discussing like three different hypothetical scenarios anyway, why not a 4th

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

This is the most exhausting game of "making up a guy and getting mad at him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Ciaphas posted:

I would be keenly interested in seeing one of these from a nightmare run. One of those runs where as a healer you don't have time to cast a dps skill because not spending every GCD healing the tank will bottom out their health bar.